[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nothing in the RPG genre will ever come close to the sheer perfection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16

File: mass effect.jpg (918KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mass effect.jpg
918KB, 1920x1200px
Nothing in the RPG genre will ever come close to the sheer perfection that was Bioware 2005-2007.

How does that make you feel?
>>
What perfection?

Mass Effect specifically plays like complete fucking shit with atrocious level design
>>
you mean western ***RPG***
>>
>>388954073
The fuck you are on, OP? Mass effect has a lot of good stuff but it's far from perfect.
>>
>>388954294
What are you talking about?

The power is fun,the shooting is good and the stupid phisics make even more good best in the trilogy fo sure
>>
>>388954073

DAO was better
>>
>>388954073
1. It was not perfect
2. KOTOR was 2003
3. DA:O was 2009
4. You are a fagget
>>
Mass Effect is great but far from perfect, especially the first one. Say what you want about the sequels but at least they had tight controls and decent combat.
>>
>>388954073
How does a developer fall so far?
>>
>>388955091
>The power is fun
Yeah sure was fun to be able do something cool every 2 minutes that could just have easily been accomplished with 2 minutes of shooting
>>
>>388955475
Well i played on hard and i always used the powers because it was literally the only way.
>>
>>388954073
From RPGs since Demon's Souls have all been better then the best Bioware RPG.
>>
>>388955870
>From RPGs
They make Soulsbornevania Adventurelikes.
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (24KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
24KB, 600x451px
>>388954073
The last genuinely good game Bioware made was KOTOR back in 2003. Their only great game is Baldur's Gate 2. Mass Effect was never a good game: it's just loved by <25 year olds whose first console was the 360, because they played it before they developed any standards and didn't know any better. Same story with Oblivion, same story with Fable. All are bad games and bad RPGs, but are for some unfathomable reason loved by a sizable population on /v/.
>gameplay is centered around cover-based shooting, the worst trend of the previous console generation. And it's bad even as a cover shooter
>story choices are 90% cosmetic and come down to chaotic good vs. lawful good
>no gameplay mechanics whatsoever outside of combat(no sneaking, stealing, dialog skills, haggling...)
>story is a bad ripoff of Star Control 3, which wasn't even a good game
>characters are mostly bad. A handful of memorable ones, but nothing to justify the series's reputation as well written
>story is on rail as it gets, other than giving you the Bioware trademark option of which of the 3-4 planets you want to do first
This equally describes every game in the series. They're all pretty much equally bad. The backlash against Andromeda was in part due to the hilarious bugs, but in larger part due to people failing to internalize that their favorite RPGs from when they were kids were also kinda bad.
>>
Jade Empire is the best entirely original bioware title
>>
>>388954073
1. Mass Effect was shit
2. BioWare's only good game was Baldur's Gate 2
>>
File: 3e.jpg (14KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
3e.jpg
14KB, 250x272px
>>388957137
>Mass Effect was never a good game: it's just loved by <25 year olds whose first console was the 360
yeah is not like anybody liked that game on PC

>>388958158
>le epic oldskool g4m3r
>>
>>388954073
Mass Effect 1 and 2 were ok-tier at best, obviously it got much worse after that.
>>
>>388958301
not an argument
ME barely qualifies as an RPG. There are no different ways to tackle problems, and the only skills there are are related to combat.
It's a Telltale game through and through if Telltale games actually had gameplay. But Telltale would have written a better story and characters.
>>
>>388958301
>yeah is not like anybody liked that game on PC
You're right, PC people can be retards with shit taste too. Thanks anon
>>
>>388954073

fuck off m8 me wa smediocre and dragon age has unskipable cutscenes/dialogues, shit as all fuck loot system and instanced system. The only okay product made by bloatware would be probably neverwinter nights 1, everything else ista solid 5 with nvn being 5,5 at best
>>
>>388957470
This
>>
>>388958467
You have a narrow view of RPGs. The truth is that there are a lot of ways to make an RPG, not just the Codex Approved ones.
>>
>>388958915
my view of RPGs is tabletop RPG. That's what a role playing game is. If the game doesn't grant you freedom to tackle problems, it's not an RPG. It's an adventure game, no matter how you twist it and now many useless stat screens it has.
>>
File: bioware_old.jpg (174KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bioware_old.jpg
174KB, 1024x768px
>>388954073
>Bioware 2005-2007
Bioware ~1998-2004 was way better.
>>
>>388959073
40 year old pen and paper games no longer define the genre and they haven't for a long time. Ask the person to name an RPG and they will say Final Fantasy or Fallout, not D&D. You can scream and cry all you want but it won't change things.
>>
>>388959307
What do you mean "don't define the genre"?
The list of "best RPGs of all time" constantly name the "old gramps RPGs" like Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 1, KotOR2, Planescape Torment, Alpha Protocol, Mask of the Betrayer.
And why are you even shifting the goalpoast? No one here is even talking about sales or popularity, just what an RPG is.
The fact remains - Mass Effect is not an RPG, no matter how much you scream and cry. Deal with it kid.
>>
File: 1504241150809.jpg (91KB, 564x655px) Image search: [Google]
1504241150809.jpg
91KB, 564x655px
>>388954073
You mean the sheer perfection of Interplay/Black Isle studio/Obsidian and their Fallout series right?
>>
>>388957137
>All are bad games and bad RPGs, but are for some unfathomable reason loved by a sizable population on /v/.
It's simply because the vast majority of people don't like actual RPGs.
See how Witchershit or Final Fantasy are hailed as some of the greatest RPGs of all time when they are far from being even RPGs to begin with.
Fact is people can't stand actual RPGs mechanics, depth and true freedom of choice in their games, even though they endlessly bitch otherwise, /v/'s innate hate for RNG and rolls is only further proof of that.
>>
>>388959579
also Arcanum and VtMB
>>
>>388959579
It is
>>
File: heh.jpg (5KB, 222x200px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
5KB, 222x200px
>>388954073
How do you faggots feel in knowing that Bethesda, BioWare titles, and the occasional video game from CDProjekt once every 10 - 20 years, is the best you're ever going to get or receive in terms of true massive RPGs with AAA budgets?

I feel almost fucking bad for RPG nignogs.
>>
>>388959579
If you don't even know what I mean by defining a genre you aren't worth talking to.
>>
>>388954073
I like Mass Effect but it sure as fuck ain't perfect.
A shame we never got a sequel.
>>
>>388959994
I feel fine. RPG has never been a mainstream genre, it won't start being one now. Even in its hayday it was totally eclipsed by RTS games and then CoD took over.
>>
File: Witcher_3_cover_art.jpg (57KB, 292x414px) Image search: [Google]
Witcher_3_cover_art.jpg
57KB, 292x414px
>>388954073
Shut up dumbass.
>>
>>388954073
>Jade Empire
>Mass Effect
>any where near perfect
That's some real pleb tier taste, friend.
>>
>>388957137

ME was liked by normie faggots who never played a real RPG in their life.
>>
Lol sticky cover trash
>>
>deus ex dead
>mass effect dead
>dragon age will probably get some shit pc sequel with 6 trams characters
>metal gear dead
>>
>>388959579
http://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpgs-of-all-time/
Included Dark Souls and Diablo 3

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpgs-of-all-time/
Fable, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, chrono trigger is #1

Do I need to go on?
>>
>>388959579
>>388960847
https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/26/50-best-rpgs-ever/

Skyrim #1
>>
>>388960847
>PCGamer
>The most fun you can have TODAY in one of the PC's essential genres.
It's a list of the best recently released games in the genre. It's not a "of all time" list.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453
Here's a list by actual RPG game fans that aren't interested in promoting a company's products since they aren't sponsored by them.
Thank me later.
>>
>>388960847
>PC Gamer
>Chrono Trigger
hurr
>>
File: 1503918204611.jpg (62KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
1503918204611.jpg
62KB, 1024x719px
>>388960337
I don't even understand how Mass Effect is qualified as an rpg, you level up no stats and there's no special abilities that can be used in dialogue checks. If anything it's more like one of those shitty telltale visual novels.
>>
>>388961075
>codex
It was obvious from the start. Unfortunately for you they don't decide what is and is not an RPG and neither do you.
>>
>>388960847
>>388961105
http://m.ign.com/lists/top-100-rpgs
Wrong link. Serves me right for phone posting.
>>
>>388959579

If ME isn't an RPG, Alpha Protocol doesn't get to be, either. It has a lot more reactivity but it's still an ME clone. I'm fine whether they're RPGs or not, but let's at least be consistent.
>>
why do people care so much about what others have fun with in the vidya medium
>>
>>388962054
How dare you like what I don't like!
>>
>>388954073
Man if all RPGs are inferior to Mass Effect's """"Gameplay"""" than the entire genre must be shit than.
>>
>>388954073
bait
>>
>>388962054

Fun is a zero sum game. Any fun someone has with games not catered to your taste is fun robbed from your personally, since there's more of a market for their fun games than your fun games.
>>
>>388960847
>lumping arpgs in with real rpgs
>>
>>388961127
You level up weapon, tech or biotic abilities to make them stronger, weapon stats, health capacity and shield capacity. Did you even play the game?
>>
>>388957137
>The last genuinely good game Bioware made was KOTOR back in 2003
It wasn´t.
it was worse than NWN, which was already worse than BG2 or PST, but it was a star wars game, and people can overlook a lot of flaws in SW games.
>>
>>388962647
Well Arpgs are better because they test your reflexes.
>>
>>388963450
>point at enemy
>click spell hotkey
>10000 effects proc and gib everything onscreen
if you want to brag about your reflexes play quake or something.
>>
>>388959994
>true massive RPGs with AAA budgets?
No such thing ever existed.
>>388963450
Reflexes have no place in RPGs, but there's some games that do implement player inputs decently without compromising the main framework.
>>
File: Wat.jpg (31KB, 599x626px) Image search: [Google]
Wat.jpg
31KB, 599x626px
Why do you always see the occasional nigglet jumping on the "JADE EMPIRE WAS THE BEST

>The game's story is laughably short, so short it's one of BioWare's shortest game they've ever produced.
>Horribly linear from beginning to end for an RPG.
>The RPG mechanics/customization is very very very fucking barebones with the focus on only 3 stats as if though this was an ARPG like Diablo.

The only good thing you can even say about the game is that it had a unique setting set because it's not everyday you see a game about China and Kungfu. That's it, the fact that its set in a RPG universe we don't normally see so people jumps it dick.
>>
>>388954073
KOTOR2 is better than anything Bioware ever made.
>>
>>388955091
>Biotics and soldiers are literally invencible
>sheppard recruiting random suspicious aliens make no sense
>the gameplay takes no strategy or skill at all
>the story is completelly generic
>the villain got a fucking geth arm and no one suspect of him working for the villains.
>all missions are the same thing
>almost all planets are identical
>you waste a lot of time taking resources what is literally travelling 10 minutes where nothing happens though the map to take a single item.
>>
>>388964189
It's fun to play.
>>
File: fat controller.jpg (35KB, 592x474px) Image search: [Google]
fat controller.jpg
35KB, 592x474px
>>388954073
>he thinks Mass Effect was closer to perfection than ME2
>>
>>388964739
>>the gameplay takes no strategy or skill at all
tell that to Krogan Battlemaster's face not online and see what happens
>>
>>388964948
>I'm underage

Good to know.
>>
File: mass effect cucks2.jpg (211KB, 1370x907px) Image search: [Google]
mass effect cucks2.jpg
211KB, 1370x907px
lmao bioware fans trying to rewrite history

Not even they like Mass Effect 1
>>
>>388961127
You can level up persuade or intimidate (and they aren't always equally valuable) which at times introduce the most interesting scenes and options. I think those count as dialogue checks
>>
>>388957137
KOTOR is horribly overrated. The dialogue is atrocious and the plot twist was clearly designed for twelve year olds.
>>
>>388954294
I liked the gameplay and the level design
>>
>>388954073
ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
>>
>>388965281
>>388964948
ME1 vs ME2
>actual exploration (of copypasted space bases) vs PROBE LAUNCHED
>new and detailed lore vs mess of retcons
>overheating vs space ammo clips
>interesting space bases vs boring corridors with waist-high covers indicating an enemy encounter
>choose when to use abilities then deal with them being on cooldown vs spam dat GCD spam
>badass motherfucker renegade vs whiny asshat renegade
>unique glorious space music vs I don't even remember the music besides them reusing the space map song
>(gameplay) Dragon Age in space vs become invincible by taking cover, regenerate health, go back to spamming GCD
>interesting plot setting up space lovecraft vs irrelevant side-quest
>You are irrelevant, human. vs THIS HURTS YOU SHEPARD
>These are my people, Shepard! vs muh daddy issues
>annoying inventory with 200 slots that when it fills up will bother you a lot vs lol everything is irrelevant
>detailed skill tree with a ton of boring passives vs 5 skills, pump one up and spam it every 2 seconds

all in all
>flawed gem vs generic TPS
ME2 is boring garbage and everyone who talks about it only ever go I-IT'S THE BEST IN THE SERIES and never talk about the actual content of the game
>>
>>388965213
>actual levels instead of cookie-cutter planets with the same prefab buildings on them
>skill point allocation that actually matters rather than giving you 3% more shields
>interesting characters who you genuinely look at differently at the end of the game
>actual decent gameplay rather than shooting at a bullet sponge for 5 minutes (while you listen to them shout "GO GO GO" the whole time)
>missions that you can actually screw up if you play the game poorly
Why do you have to be underage to prefer that?
>>
>>388961127

Mass Effect 1 has all of those things, though.
>>
>>388965820

I WILL DESTROY YOU
>>
GO GO GO
>>
>>388961127
>I've never played the game: the post

>>388967293
I WILL DESTROY YOU
>>
>>388966249
>actual exploration
You mean landing on 20 near identical planets to find rocks and the same base over again? May as well not bother
>new and detailed lore
not surprising that the first game in a series will have more new lore
>interesting space bases
I'll grant you Noveria is awesome, but all the non story planets having the same base i not interesing
>choose when to use abilities then deal with them being on cooldown vs spam dat GCD spam
By the time you were half way through the game you could spam your abilities as much as you wanted to anyways
>badass motherfucker renegade vs whiny asshat renegade
Pushing a guy out of a window not badass enough
>unique glorious space music vs I don't even remember the music besides them reusing the space map song
There's tons of great music!
>(gameplay) Dragon Age in space vs become invincible by taking cover, regenerate health, go back to spamming GCD
In what was is the gameplay in ME1 like Dragon Age? Are we talking about the same game?
Admittedly a weak point, although I would say that is as much a fault of the third one not making more use of it
>These are my people, Shepard! vs muh daddy issues
You mean characters who are talking encyclopedias instead of people with flaws (although again I concede too much Daddy issues)
>annoying inventory with 200 slots that when it fills up will bother you a lot vs lol everything is irrelevant
The inventory is pretty irrelevant in both games
>detailed skill tree with a ton of boring passives vs 5 skills, pump one up and spam it every 2 seconds
But what use is the detail if it's boring! In ME2 those skills actually affect the way that you play
>>
File: 1477978056441.gif (64KB, 156x267px) Image search: [Google]
1477978056441.gif
64KB, 156x267px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURrosz7CxY
Commander shepard managed to btfo sovereign and reapers are trapped for eternity. End of the story.
There no sequels.
>>
Shepard lives, make destroy canon and asspull him to liara so they can fuck for the rest of eternity, i'd buy it.
>>
Mass Effect was mediocre, so was KOTOR

BG2 is their best game
>>
>>388967657
>You mean landing on 20 near identical planets to find rocks and the same base over again? May as well not bother
they’re optional content, and I’d rather have a flawed concept because it’s repeated too much that I can enjoy 1~3 times then stop going for it because it’s repetitive than NOTHING
>not surprising that the first game in a series will have more new lore
the issue is ME2 shitting on the established lore while adding nothing worthwhile except for the Illusive Man
>I'll grant you Noveria is awesome, but all the non story planets having the same base i not interesting
Already discussed above
>By the time you were half way through the game you could spam your abilities as much as you wanted to anyways
I don’t remember the cooldowns being reduced that much, but k
>Pushing a guy out of a window not badass enough
You kill people left and right the entire game, I don’t care about that. What I enjoyed about ME1’s Renegade is being a hardened military type, pushing others around with your
>In what was is the gameplay in ME1 like Dragon Age? Are we talking about the same game?
pause, give orders, see things move a bit, pause again, etc, did you play it exclusively like a TPS?
>Admittedly a weak point, although I would say that is as much a fault of the third one not making more use of it
by far the least of ME2's problems, just mentioning it because it's a thing
>You mean characters who are talking encyclopedias
who
>instead of people with flaws (although again I concede too much Daddy issues)
Are you implying that ME1 characters have no flaws?
>The inventory is pretty irrelevant in both games
How can it the inventory in ME1 be irrelevant if it affects combat?
>But what use is the detail if it's boring! In ME2 those skills actually affect the way that you play
Flawed something vs nothing, again

also I forgot to mention, comparing both final bosses makes ME2 feel like a joke
>>
>>388954073
Bioware was never anywhere near "perfection" they were always mediocre.
>>
>>388966249
>ME1 is boring garbage and everyone who talks about it only ever go I-IT'S THE BEST IN THE SERIES and never talk about the actual content of the game

Fixed. Actually play the game 100% to completion on Insanity before you share an opinion on it. ME1 has the best story, but basically just play on it normal as a movie, because that's what it will be anyway on any difficulty once you get to mid game.
Four (4) fucking guns - in which you may be trained in less - and a bunch of pointless redundant dump stats that paint-huffing retards think are a "detailed skill tree" because they don't understand anything about game design.

God aweful early game combat with immunity/shield/regen stalling on every other enemy and 1 shot rocket drones, and then once you sell enough vendor trash for SPECTRE guns combat is basically over just hold down the trigger.
ME3 combined the best of both worlds, but it was still on the foundation of having a fuck ton of actually different guns and in the first place.
>>
>>388954073

Bioware weren't perfect in that timeframe, they just hadn't gone to shit yet. They were good, though.
>>
>>388965281
I mean let's be honest, ME didn't age very well. There's also so many quality of life improvements in the later games that it really makes you think of sitting in the Citadel elevators for literal minutes with hate
>>
>>388970045
>quality of life improvements
casualizations
>>
>>388969101
>they’re optional content, and I’d rather have a flawed concept because it’s repeated too much that I can enjoy 1~3 times then stop going for it because it’s repetitive than NOTHING
This is missing the point, they didn't replace those side planets with nothing, they replaced them with more actual mainline missions
>the issue is ME2 shitting on the established lore while adding nothing worthwhile except for the Illusive Man
What lore do they shit on in 2? I would say the Vorcha, the criminal underworld of Omega, getting to see what Tuchanka is like are all worthwhile, still not as good as 1 in this respect though
>What I enjoyed about ME1’s Renegade is being a hardened military type
I agree that is missing in ME2, and while it is inconsistent I think it's a matter of taste. I will say though, I think your character comes across as less schizophrenic in 2 when you mix and match paragon and renegade options
pause, give orders, see things move a bit, pause again, etc, did you play it exclusively like a TPS?
I do that just as much in ME2 but I wouldn't say either of them really play like Dragon Age
>You mean characters who are talking encyclopedias
>who
Your crew seem to spend of a lot of time talking about their species rather than who they are. I get it, there's a lot of lore to explain, but Tali in particular just goes on and on about the fleet.
>How can it the inventory in ME1 be irrelevant if it affects combat?
Perhaps irrelevant was the wrong word, but really the ME1 inventory is just stats, you get a buttload of equipment that is strictly worse than what you've got so it's irrelevant, and then every now and then you get to switch out generic addon 4 for generic addon 5. While ME2 doesn't really have an inventory, at least the weapons you find are different to use and the armour pieces you find push you towards different play styles
>Flawed something vs nothing, again
Would ME2 be better if it had the same skills but with twice the levels?
>>
>>388970147
>be ME1 fag
>have a gun that never runs out of ammo or overheats
>since there are only 4 guns in the game and upgrades are meaningless, you don't have to think about loadouts you dump all your stats and look for pretty green colors until you can buy SPECTRE
>no shared cooldowns, so between Liara, yourself, and the rest of the squad you can ragdoll every enemy on screen permanently
>have abilities like immunity that makes it impossible for you to die
>think long and hard about your great skill tree like "gun more damage", "heal heal more", "open more box"

muh c-casualizations
>>
>>388969395
I agree with most of this, ME3's actual gameplay was the most varied and balanced of the lot, with the extra choice in powers and weapons there's several ways to play even the same classes
>>388969101
I forgot, I'm not going to defend ME2 final boss for a minute.
>>
>>388960218

>RPG has never been a mainstream genre.

Classic RPGs, no. But it's fairly ignorant to claim RPGs aren't mainstream when games like Skyrim exist.
>>
File: 1444016.jpg (722KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1444016.jpg
722KB, 1920x1080px
>>388971092

Don't forget:

>dump all points into Charm/Intimidate so that you can pass every single dialogue check in the game and thus receive the best possible outcome 100% of the time
>>
>>388971092
Immunity is so fucking broken holy shit
>>
>>388971507
>charm skill leads to better dialogue options and therefore better outcomes
Woah...what was Bioware thinking
>>
File: 1472974363034.jpg (514KB, 1160x540px) Image search: [Google]
1472974363034.jpg
514KB, 1160x540px
BG2 was better.
>>
>>388970816
>This is missing the point, they didn't replace those side planets with nothing, they replaced them with more actual mainline missions
But those planets still provided an alternative in gameplay. Yes, the Mako is far from being perfect, but all you do in ME2 is shooting and minigames. More main missions don't change that.
>>
>finished ME1 last night
>go to start ME2 with the same character
>remember the fucking hacking bullshit
>>
>>388972765
What the FUCK is this?
>>
>>388969395
ME1 isn't perfect by any means, but it has unique atmosphere and some kind of... purity to it that were ruined by EA and their push for Gears of War-like cover shooting.
>>
>>388972765

>Edwin
>Genderfluid

Well, they were right about that one.
>>
>>388971092
again with flawed gem vs nothing

>>388970045
removing features instead of improving them isn't QoL imp.

>>388970816
>This is missing the point, they didn't replace those side planets with nothing, they replaced them with more actual mainline missions
which are all
>move forward on corridor
>chest high covers, gee I wonder what's going to happen

>What lore do they shit on in 2? I would say the Vorcha, the criminal underworld of Omega, getting to see what Tuchanka is like are all worthwhile, still not as good as 1 in this respect though
ah yes, "Reapers"
lol ammo
lol ammo in a stranded team that should have had cooldown guns
actively making fun of lorefags (or was that ME3?)

>I agree that is missing in ME2, and while it is inconsistent I think it's a matter of taste. I will say though, I think your character comes across as less schizophrenic in 2 when you mix and match paragon and renegade options
my issue is that ME2 renegade is completely unlikable, cringy even

>I do that just as much in ME2 but I wouldn't say either of them really play like Dragon Age
why would you do that in ME2 when you become invincible if you do a cover QTE press?

>Your crew seem to spend of a lot of time talking about their species rather than who they are. I get it, there's a lot of lore to explain, but Tali in particular just goes on and on about the fleet.
I really don't see the problem with this, and it feels natural that another species would talk about their species to you

>While ME2 doesn't really have an inventory, at least the weapons you find are different to use and the armour pieces you find push you towards different play styles
to my memory it's slightly less limited in terms of gunplay, and there was no reason for them to remove equipment managing

>Would ME2 be better if it had the same skills but with twice the levels?
how about having passives? everything that should have been improved from 1 to its sequel was fucking removed and that annoys me to no end
>>
>>388974002
>actively making fun of lorefags (or was that ME3?)
That was in ME3. Conrad Verner talks about how dumb thermal clips are and Shepard starts to make fun of him for it.
>>
>>388969395
and now this post, as the other one reached 2000 characters

>Fixed. Actually play the game 100% to completion on Insanity before you share an opinion on it. ME1 has the best story, but basically just play on it normal as a movie, because that's what it will be anyway on any difficulty once you get to mid game.
you're right, I rushed through the game because I couldn't fucking wait to play 2, as it was already out, and do you have any idea what a disappointment of a game I found? I had rushed through ME1 to find that boring TPS with annoying characters
>Four (4) fucking guns - in which you may be trained in less -
how many are there in ME2?
>and a bunch of pointless redundant dump stats that paint-huffing retards think are a "detailed skill tree" because they don't understand anything about game design.
removed is bad, improvement is good, ME2 is removal
>God aweful early game combat with immunity/shield/regen stalling on every other enemy and 1 shot rocket drones, and then once you sell enough vendor trash for SPECTRE guns combat is basically over just hold down the trigger.
as opposed to GCD spamming abilities over and over being the apex of good gameplay?
>ME3 combined the best of both worlds, but it was still on the foundation of having a fuck ton of actually different guns and in the first place.
ME3 had just as boring combat as ME2 and, while it had a couple cool story moments (krogan planet, mordin and the genophage), was filled with b o r i n g

what the fuck is your standards for good TPS gameplay? I'm used to RE4, maybe I like level design too much? I can't tolerate le corridor invincible cover systems

for the nth time: ME1 is a flawed gem, ME2 threw everything that had potential and/or needed improvement out the window and made a mockery of the series, adapting it to the CoD audience to get more sales

but hey, fuck nerds right? wanting to play videogames, what a bunch of nerds lol
>>
>>388954073
The towers of Hanoi abuse by itself automatically takes the games out of any consideration of perfection, goat, top ten, etc.
>>
>>388959579
Do you know what the word role means you moron?

1a (1) : a character assigned or assumed had to take on the role of both father and mother (2) : a socially expected behavior pattern usually determined by an individual's status in a particular societyb : a part played by an actor or singer

2 : a function or part performed especially in a particular operation or process played a major role in the negotiations

Neither of those require that the person be able to do anything anywhere for any reason. In fact, it explicitly limits a person to whatever their role is.

You are a grade A moron.
>>
File: god amonst men riktor shep.jpg (162KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
god amonst men riktor shep.jpg
162KB, 1360x768px
I was really pissed they changed the shockwave to some bs fireball in ME3
>>
I just want sci-fi games with halfway developed lore.
Why is it that much to ask
>>
The Mass Effect series is overrated.
>>
>>388959579
>>388959307
>>388959307
>>388959073
>>388958915
ME1 is among the games that come the closest to being 'RPGs' in the true sense of the word (and so do most 'WRPGs' as they're called), not 'lol it has numbers on it so I'll call it RPG xd' like Final Fantasy games

these 'WRPGs' tend to give you options in dialogues, unusual ways to solve problems (like instead of killing the 'enemy', going to their side instead, or even settling the dispute and making both sides not enemies anymore)

>but the general public and the specialized media!
I don't care how many people are being retarded together
>>
>>388955421
No one played ME for the combat though, in fact that was pretty much every bioware game.
>>
>>388972765
>Korgan - Cisgender Heterosexual
kek'ed at that one

But where is cisgender faunaromantic Cernd?
>>
>>388974584
but you can just bypass it with omni-gel?
>>
>>388974410
>hasn't done a completion run of ME1
ok
>how many guns in ME2
29, I'd say 27 unique. Suffers a bit from OP stuff like Mattock or straight upgrades like the Widow or Claymore. Carnifex is also pretty useless.
>removal is bad, improvement is good
This is the opinion of a wannabe gem dev who doesn't really understand what they're talking about. What "improvement"? Do you know what that is? You just say improvement but don't have any suggestions. Look at what they cut:
>no longer have to upgrade individual guns just so you can aim a sniper rifle without being drunk
>medigel just healing you instead of having it as a another fucking dump stat, relegate through availability (none of the games do this well but whatever)
>whether or not you can play the stupid ass hacking minigame no longer requires TWO different fucking stats
>class and morality system shifted to the same priority stat so having this mandatory dump stat is less of a pain in the ass
It's called fucking streamlining. Instead of adding more bloated systems they removed redundant garbage that added nothing to player decision making.
>>
>>388977453
>ME2/3 is just ability spam, boring combat
>ME1 has fun combat and GOOD LEVEL DESIGN
This is just confirmed bait or actually retarded. Almost hesitant to try and argue this delusion.

The whole crux of Mass Effect combat gameplay is power, weapon, and enemy veriety.
Both ME2 and ESPECIALLY ME3 (multiplayer was better than the main game) offer more than ME1, which has 4 guns and a lot of functionally duplicate powers. This is because ME1 has and suffers from tech limitations brutally. You go to lava world, ice world, concrete land. The "level design" is the same copy-pasted prefab building or corridor "shooting galleries" ME1fags like to bitch about, only unlike the other games it's usually visually uglier and you can wander off into some fucking pointless empty wasteland for no reason. Fantastic.

The problem is like someone who preordered Spore you have these grandiose expectations from nothing, with no idea how to implement them. All we saw in ME1 was a bloated, pointless inventory/stat system and empty wasteland Mako crap that the majority of the players fucking hated to infamy. You want the planet exploration back? Congratulations, there's a game called Mass Effect Andromeda that was built for you. That's what that looks like scaled up.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.