[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've noticed a trend. People don't seem to know that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: D-Pads.jpg (35KB, 640x213px) Image search: [Google]
D-Pads.jpg
35KB, 640x213px
I've noticed a trend. People don't seem to know that you're supposed to use the D-pad from most 2D games.

I've been watching a bunch of streams.(Yes, I know it's lame, whatever) And everyone has been playing games like Hollow Knight and Sonic Mania with the thumbstick. To me, it seems obvious that the D-pad is optimal for those games. So why are so many people not catching on to this? Is it a generational thing?
>>
>>388949174

>caring about how other people play video games

takes a special kind of sperg to do that
>>
>>388949286
>All I do is lazily shitpost to pass the time.
Whoever you're ignoring by looking at your phone right now quietly resents you. Assuming you have anyone willing to share the same space with you.
>>
Yeah, if you hit the LR buttons when playing with the joy cons the game breaks.
>>
>>388949174
Because D-pads are normally amazingly uncomfortable to play anything with. Only a couple D-pads don't give me carpal tunnel syndrome.
>>
>>388950450
This. D-Pads are seated way too low into the controller and the pressure you have to use to make them responsive enough is far greater than both the effort and pressure you need to move around analog sticks.
>>
The XBOX and Switch have awkward D-pad placements. I find them uncomfortable to use after a while.
>>
i believe your observation is mostly correct
for some reason people just default to the thumbstick
it actually takes more time and effort to use the thumbstick than it does to use the dpad causing inaccurate inputs and late(r) reactions but only in specific genres
>>
>>388949174
Because there are fewer 2D platformers around and some actually work well with analog sticks.
Though I wouldn't say that hollow knight works well with an analog stick.
>>
>playing the new rayman platformers with the dpad
might as well kill yourself. its horrible.
>>
Because only the Playstation controller has the dpad in the right location
>>
>>388950450
>>388950601
Why don't you just change the posture of your hand? It's not that hard. You don't need to firmly grasp the controller in the seat of your palms like you see in advertising. Just loosen your grip a little bit. and adjust to a comfortable position that reaches the D-pad.
>>
more modern depads are awful
and the 360 stick works great for 2d games but not any other stick.
>>
>>388950847
Well then what do you do when you need to use the left thumbstick on the playstation? Is that really so difficult?
>>
>>388951000
It's the D-pad itself that I find uncomfortable. They always dig in, the worst being dualshock d-pads. I actually like the smoothness of the Xbox ones but it's hard to play with them.
>>
>>388949174
comfort and familiarity
>>
>>388951317
Well you're excused, because you clearly have some kind of skin medical condition that makes your hands hyper sensitive.
>>
>>388949174
The Xbone D-Pad is atrocious for 2D games. Disgusting clicky feel and too low to be comfortable.

Only the PS D-Pads are somewhat usable and that's just because they're still using a design layout from the PS1 era when it was actually used to move your character.

Unless you have an 8bitdo or something similar, thumbsticks are way more confortable.
>>
>>388951575
I don't have an Xbox One controller, but I find it very difficult to image what you're saying is a problem. I have a PC controller that copies the Xbox One button configuration, and it's really no big deal. I just grip the controller with only the ends of my fingers, so I can lift my thumb into a comfortable resting position over the D-pad.

If you're gripping the controller tightly, then I can kind of see your point. But then again, why are you holding the controller so tight?
>>
>>388949174
I've actually used the PS D-pad in the menus & platformers.
>>
>>388949661
>his entire post is in lowercase
He's not likely on mobile but your post is really specific. Projecting much?
>>
File: 8Bitdo SFC30.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
8Bitdo SFC30.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
>>388952047
I would rather not have to hold my controller like a mongoloid just to use the D-Pad comfortably, desu senpai

Anyway, after buying a pic related, there is no way in hell that I'm using anything else for 2D games. Comfy as fuck.
>>
>>388952369
Not projecting. Just an imagined scenario I thought was funny. Honestly, what I imagined would probably be a step up from what the truth of his shitposting actually is.
>>
>>388952461
What are you double retarded? You can't adjust your hand to control the D-pad, but you bought a controller that's even more difficult to hold to compensate?
Come on, I used to own a SNES, and I can tell you for absolute certain that controllers today are more comfortable than that. You're just nostalgiafagging now.
>>
>>388951575
>Only the PS D-Pads are somewhat usable
Even back in the PS1 era they were the worst type of d-pad. Only with the Vita and PS4 did they adress many of the problems the d-pad had and even then they are not the best around.
>>
>>388953154
i consider the vita to have a top 5 dpad
>>
>>388952845
>You're just nostalgiafagging now
That's hard considering that I've never owned a Nintendo console besides a GameBoy Color
>>
>>388949286
>am I doing the right thing?
>why
Everyone is like that.
More likely, you are the spectrum, son.
>>
>>388953309
Yeah the Vita is pretty good, better than the one that's being used in the DS4 even, but still not the best.
>>
>>388953309
it is great, the only downside is that it's on top of the vita
>>
>>388953443
That's worse. That means you held the SNES controller and thought "yeah, this is much better"
>>
>>388953750
>That means you held the SNES controller and thought "yeah, this is much better"

That's exactly what happened and I was objectively right, yes.
>>
>>388949286
Devil's advocate here: he's not wrong when it comes to fighting games on pad. Took me forever to wean myself off analog sticks to d-pad for more precise inputs.
>>
For some games like Ori, the analog stick is actually superior
>>
>>388949174
>streamers are retarded
Woah this is new
>>
>>388949174
My 360 controller is the only controller I am able to use for emulation and I use the stick. Because the d-pad is absolutely unusable garbage.
>>
File: 1499955030305.png (369KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
1499955030305.png
369KB, 800x750px
>>388952648
>Just an imagined scenario I thought was funny
>>
>>388949174
>people that use the thumb stick for menus
>they fucking struggle to select what they want to
>>
File: SaturnPad.jpg (358KB, 1138x692px) Image search: [Google]
SaturnPad.jpg
358KB, 1138x692px
Step aside, faggots
>>
>>388954663
You're excused. Because the 360 D-pad is really that bad. But you should really invest in a new controller as soon as possible.
>>
>>388951173
>what do you do when you need to use the left thumbstick on the playstation?

I.. use it
>>
>>388956793
Well it's in the location of the D-pad for *other* controllers. Which you say is in the wrong place.
>>
>>388956523
I picked up a Wii classic controller for cheap and I'm gonna see about hooking that up to my PC
>>
>>388956283
This is what perfection looks like, right here.
>>
I started playing Brawlhalla again (floaty smash bros clone on steam) and I've never appreciated D-pads more.

My only complaint with the steam controller is there is no dpad.
>>
>>388952461
Are you saying you can't comfortably reach the dpad while holding an xbone controller?
>>
A lot of platformers these days have analog input, letting you walk slower if you only partially hold the stick in a direction. Any game that features analog inputs will be objectively superior with an analog control stick rather than a digital pad.
>>
Even in 3d games I always use the d pad in menus.
>>
I've never really liked dpads. If a game doesn't feel good with radial input I'd rather just use WASD.
>>
Sega is the only one who has ever made a functional d pad.
>>
>>388956901
no that's the right place for the stick, Sony has it right
>>
>>388958927
Yeah i agree. Its awful to use the dpad if its on the bottom left.

The stick however is fine there since you dont have to apply as much force to use it.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.