[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dunkey sold me this game hard, and i don't even like So

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13

File: header.jpg (72KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
72KB, 460x215px
Dunkey sold me this game hard, and i don't even like Sonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTejwu4oaw
>>
yeah I bought this immediately after watching the dunkey review, got to the second level then remembered I don't like sonic.

but I bought it on switch so I can't even refund. on the plus side I now have 4 switch games though.
>>
Same, I never played a Sonic game until I watched his review and bought it. It's pretty good, still haven't gotten every chaos emerald.
>>
>>388898272
It's a sad state of affairs that Sonicfags act like Sonic Mania is some kind of miracle when more than literally half of the game is just rehashes and fan service.
>>
I think I might try this
>>
>>388898272
Don't buy it. I thought it was good, but then /v/ liked it so you're not allowed to enjoy it.
>>
File: SonicJeez.jpg (132KB, 890x620px) Image search: [Google]
SonicJeez.jpg
132KB, 890x620px
>>388898787
That's because Sonic 2/3/CD are literally such good games they're still GOTY 25 years later
>>
>>388898272
Reminder a clip of Dunkey is in the game as an Easter Egg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TftUoKFNKcg
>>
>>388899289
None of those games were even GOTY the years that they all came out lel
>>
>>388898787

Sonicfags know this already though.

What's really sad are the retards who say "finally a good Sonic game" when the MAJORITY of the game is borrowing from the original series.

Even the shit that seems new was borrowed from somewhere else. It speaks to the strengths of the original designers who thought up of all this stuff when their initial frame of reference was Mario and Alex Kidd.
>>
>>388899585
Weird shit, brah.
>>
>>388900317
>People who said "Sonic was never good" suddenly say Mania finally got it right
>Even though they're playing with the exact same physics and borrowed level design.

I knew these people were full of shit but it was satisfying to see them prove it for me
>>
File: 2atnM6C.gif (1MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
2atnM6C.gif
1MB, 300x225px
e-celeb worship is a blight
>>
>>388898272
>>388898509
Legitimately curious, how does a funnyman babbling nonsense without offering any legitimate analysis convince you to buy a product?
>>
>>388898272
He didn't talk about the game's flaws like missing transitions and iffy boss fights but the things he's talking about the positives of the game are spot on.

I knew he gave it a 5/5 not because it's flawless in every way but because it's just that fun of a game to play.
>>
>>388900661
I'm not gonna go as far as saying "Sonic was never good" or "Sonic is bad", I just don't think this series should ever sit at the same table as all the other, vastly better platformers out there.

The fact that Sonic has a massive, tireless fanbase is insane to me when actual good franchises like DKC, Rayman, Oddworld and WarioLand are all pretty much dead.
>>
>>388901798
DKC isn't exactly dead. Unless you're one of the geniuses that dislike Return and TF.

Oddworld got a pretty good remake that could be the spark for something in the future

Rayman is in the same boat at DKC.

And warioland..... you got me there. Idk how that's ever gonna come back.
>>
>>388902114
But Tropical Freeze got released to early in the U's shelf life so it underperformed. Believe me, I want DKC6 but I don't see t happening for a long time, especially since Retro is busy with something else.

Rayman worries me because Ubisoft are a bunch of retards.

Regardless, these series all have amazing games and are relegated to being sleeper hits most of the time because meme franchises like Sonic hog the spotlight.
>>
>>388902336
What makes those games better than Sonic Mania / Soinc 1/2/3?

Sonic has tight controls, great physics and great, multilayered level design. Why do you say it's not worthy of those other games?
>>
>>388902565
All the series I mentioned have the same qualities with actual level design in PLATFORMING scenarios that test your skills as a player, rather than just railroading you through loop-de-loops and putting you up against braindead bosses.

WarioLand and Oddworld are more puzzle intensive, but there's more meat to their design than "the furry character goes fast."
>>
>>388900869

OP here. He made it sound fun.
>>
>>388902770
You haven't played a classic Sonic in a long time, have you?
>>
>>388903024
I just played Sonic Mania last week. Those games barely require any platforming until the second have of 3 and Knuckles. Either way, DKC is better at it and so is Rayman.
>>
>>388898272
haha, same here

I grew up on Crash Bandicoot, and always hated Sonic, but Dunkey is cool, so I'm like, if it's good enough for Dunkey, it's good enough for me
>>
>>388902770
Sonic tests your skills in optimization and accessing faster alternate routes, not just in brute-forcing the level. And in that aspect it has a much higher skill ceiling than Rayman and DKC.

I think Sonic gets poor rap because it has a lower skill floor. Playing badly doesn't kill you, it just makes the level more boring. And people think that's the whole game without bothering to see what they missed.
>>
File: 1493650093597.png (47KB, 247x292px) Image search: [Google]
1493650093597.png
47KB, 247x292px
>>388898272
why though
he says that its just like the originals so why buy it if you dont like the originals
>>
>>388903156
Are you capable of thinking for yourself?
>>
>>388903227
>And in that aspect it has a much higher skill ceiling than Rayman and DKC.
Lmao no, it doesn't dude. Speedrunning a game dedicated to a character known for running at high speeds isn't impressive.

>And people think that's the whole game without bothering to see what they missed.
What's worth finding in Sonic that isn't a bonus room ring? More rings?
>the only thing worth exploring for in Sonic games are bonus rooms for an ability that makes you insanely overpowered
>>
>>388903156
Dunkey has shit taste in many regards, not everything he likes is good.
>>
>>388903571
>What's worth finding in Sonic that isn't a bonus room ring? More rings?

Entirely different platforming challenges and routes through the stage
>>
>>388903296 see >>388902832

He talks about it in such high regard that i have the feeling of give it a try. He's a pretty good shill.
>>
>>388901798
Naw, only very few platformers were better since they did their own things as well since Sonic did its own thing as well. Donkey Kong Country series is alright, but it seems to suffer the same thing as a lot of those SNES platformers at the time, quantity of levels rather than quality. Can't really recall half the levels from the games unlike the more focused linear games with more limited levels.
>>
>>388903101
>Those games barely require any platforming until the second have of 3 and Knuckles.
So you never played the Sonic series.
>>
>>388903938
Only a Sonic fanboy who only gets like five levels a game would ever pull the quanity/quality "argument".
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1160x675px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1160x675px
Who here's playing it the correct way?
>>
>>388903101
That's because they're different kinds of platformers with differing appeals. DK is as close to the purest form of 2D platforming that's very linear but with plenty of secrets and colleables and so on.

Sonic is about mixing basically playforing with added physics and yes, being fast, though speed is hardly the main draw. You can take many paths by taking your time and for the most part, no playthrouh plays exactly the same as the first

Both DK and Sonic are well known less than than simply the platfoemig alone but also the aesthics they each gave off.
From the music, the locations, level designs,the animations, it all has an impact that have stood the test of time.

Sonic specially as a character from a design standpoint is meant to be that perfected sort of mascot, that rival to Mario and the impact of the character design, coupled with Sega' marketing campaign in the 90's helped to cement sonics fame that remained deeply memorable as the decades went by. More so than Rare games, despite the quality of the games themselves. It's like how much of an impact Pokémon had back in the day. Even now, pikachu remains the face of Pokemon and is easily recognize by even the most ignorant of folks. Sonic is like a lesser version of Pikachu but for Sega.

DK was never the face of the NES nor was he the primary breadwinner (pretty damn close) that's just the fact of thematter, design wise, he's just a gorilla with a tie. heck, he's plays heel to Mario before being replaced by bowser.
>>
>>388903571
You can't just lump it all together as "speedrunning" since speedrunning in sonic is both more accessible and rewarding than almost any other platformer.

It's like comparing scoring in Bayonetta to scoring in Mario
>>
>>388904069
That doesn't look like a CRT to me
>>
>>388904040
Sonic fanboy? I enjoy Rocket Knight Adventures more than the Sonic series and that had a limited amount of focused levels that were memorable. Same with Shinobi 3, same with Kirby's Dream Land, and the Castlevania series.
>>
>>388903847
And how about for boring slow ass levels like Sandopolis, Carnival Night or Marble Garden or Chemical Plant?

>t-those don't count
>>
>>388904069
I would be if I could get over the disgust.
>>
>>388904403
>Chemical plant
>Slow

What?
>>
>>388904305
Hey man, I spent 12 whole dollars on that controller, I can't afford a monitor.
>>388904430
Of what? Denuvo? Or do you really not like my thumb?
>>
>>388899585
this is really dumb and it feels like somebody just sneaked this in past taxman
>>
>>388904069
That depends, is it still infected with malware?
>>
File: jgdnZCO.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
jgdnZCO.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
WHERE IS THE CRACK
>>
>>388904403
They still have alternate routes you can switch between at multiple points depending on your performance and discovery of secrets.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say the games aren't good because they don't focus on challenging platforming sections, and then point out the more platforming-focused stages and say they're not good because you don't go fast.
>>
>>388904709
If it takes longer than a week then it has to be that no ones even trying to crack it
>>
>>388900317
>>388898787
>No one calling out these fags on how there are 18 new levels in the game and how all 24 bosses are new
MUH ZONE NAMES
>>
>>388903886
Yeah, I give you that. He can sell a game he likes so well, not so much for trying to stop people to play games he hates.
>>
File: 1479274067899.jpg (42KB, 590x638px) Image search: [Google]
1479274067899.jpg
42KB, 590x638px
>>388904553
Yeah. I threw away all my common sense and did exactly what I mocked you fags for and pre-ordered, 3 or 4 days before it got delayed, through a third party store which made me ineligible for a refund.
>>
>>388904746
Jumping over a row of spikes or hopping up some stairs doesn't make for """platforming""". If that's what counts for platforming to you, you would lose your mind over an actual platforming game.
>>
>>388904913
>all 24 bosses are new
>the literal first fucking boss is a throwback of the final boss in Sonic 2
>playing a quick round of Puyo Puyo against piss easy AI makes for a """new boss"""

Are you even trying?
>>
>>388905109
I preordered the day before it came out because it was still on sale for $18 and I had just sold my PUBG crates, so I got it for $4
I'm not sure if I should just suck it up since I got it so cheap or refund out of protest
>>
>>388904926

>not so much for trying to stop people to play games he hates

I dunno, people here use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2EZZVW7jjQ&t=42s all the time to try to stop me from loving Bamham. I even have learned to love that classic webm.
>>
>>388901798
DKC is overrated as fuck, holy shit. It is literally just Super Mario in a different coat of paint.
>>
>>388905465
anybody who actually believes this corny Miyamoto meme needs to get their head checked
>>
>>388905141
This is literally the kind of shit you do in most platforming games, what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>388905323
That's 2 down. Now try to shit on the other 22.
>>
>>388905323
They all play pretty differently but still.

I saw:

Big Icedus
Red Eye
Whatever the Hydrocity Miniboss is called
The boss of Gigapolis
Heat Arms and Oil Ocean boss
Hey Ho
Silver Sonic
The fireflies from Metallic Madness
The Final Boss of Sonic 1
The first boss of Sonic 2 and the Marble Zone boss (But they're tiny!)

I could go on like this
>>
>>388905646
Going down slides and through loops doesn't equate to the same kind of platforming as Mario or DK, where you actually have to time your jumps and avoid obstacles and bottomless pits?
>>
>>388905371
I got it for like $9 with the conversion. I don't care about the money, I just feel like a retard for taking out Sega out of the equation and believing we could have nice things.

>>388905374
So that's where the webm comes from. He's right.
>>
>>388905770
So you're saying Sonic has no obstacles you have to time jumps over? Are you retarded? Literally the only difference between Sonic and the games you're talking about is that Sonic has less bottomless pits. Instead you fall to an alternate part of the stage
>>
Can't we all just be happy with both Tropical Freeze and Mania without needlessly attacking eachother? I think fans of one or the other should be very happy with their respective games being as great as they are and that it's even better if you play both and enjoy both.

Also, what's gonna happen first? Tropical Freeze port to Switch or a sequel?
>>
>>388905932
Wow you have to jump over a badnik that you can't immediately kill by rolling into it, such epic platforming bro
>>
>>388905770
>where you actually have to time your jumps and avoid obstacles and bottomless pits?
>implying Sonic has never done this
>>
>>388905950
It's dead, Jim. Even a port is unlikely.
>>
>>388905950
Tropical Freeze > Sonic Mania

the fact that Mania passes as a "good game" is fucking embarrassing. Why did this game take fucking 20 years to make
>>
>>388906102
t. someone who never played further than the first level
>>
>>388905950
>mfw I thought that platformer fags could be civil and see current events as a platformer revival.
>instead we're still arguing about petty shit
>>
>>388906251
If they could put return on 3ds, they can put TF on the switch. It just makes sense.
>>
>>388906284
Okay then, name a level from any Sonic game that requires the same kind of intensive platforming a Bopopolis from Tropical Freeze, Animal Antics from DKC2, or as Outrageous in SMW.
>>
>>388906420
It's even funnier when you consider current DKC and Rayman are essentially Sonic lite.

>>388906458
Nintendo doesn't operate on logic.
>>
I've 100% finished Tropical Freeze, It's more difficult for sure but I have more fun with Mania. In TF you 100% a stage once and you're relieved to be done, you never go back to it. But I always go back and put more hours into Sonic games because even though there is no threat of losing lives, I find fun in manipulating the game physics and challenging myself to be faster and more reckless.

In DKC:TF there is often a set way to traverse a given challenge. All you have to do is learn to execute it. In Sonic there is always a new way to traverse the level, a new obstacle you can skip or a new shortcut between routes you can find.

And that is why I prefer Sonic.
>>
>omg this game isn't exactly like mario, therefore its not a real platformer

You people are cancer.
>>
>>388906420
I know. It's lame to see but that don't stop me from enjoying My platformers. Now I need Mario Odessey and I'll achieve nirvana with Sonic, Crash and Mario making me feel a special kinda fell
>>
>>388905374
But his arguments are shitty anyway. Like he didn't get that why batman jumps around like a ballerina is because he's suppose to be untouchable and a ninja. And his footage is stupid anyway since just mashing triangle isn't going to cut it later on.

Dunkey seems to have this defensive mechanisms where he put his serious arguments behind his dumb idiot persona. In that way, if he's right people is going to agree with him, but if he's wrong he just gonna say "w-what I was saying was supposed to be stupid anyway!". It's a win-win situation.
>>
>>388900869
Him saying it's the first single player game in years that he felt the urge to replay immediately after beating it once is a huge compliment.
>>
>>388906515
Truly, we are at the mercy of the kings of left field.
>>
Isn't dunkey the guy who got banned from a moba for being a toxic cuntbag?
>>
>>388906723
:^)
>>
>>388906581
Get fukt, Sonicbabby
>>
>>388906872
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>388906627

>isn't going to cut it later on

Not only that, he's going to take a long ass time to win that very fight, but it actually make it looks like you can win just by pressing triangle nonstop, retards who haven't played the games believe it.
>>
>>388898272
sad, fucking ANYONE should know this was gonna be good without anyone, ESPECIALLY FUCKING YOUTUBERS, telling them it was good

fuck your donkey guy whatever
pretty sure hes shit at games
>>
File: IMG_0173.jpg (175KB, 750x1005px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0173.jpg
175KB, 750x1005px
> been wanting to play it on my switch since before launch
>have shitty assistant substitute teacher job
>get payed once a month
>last two months kids had summer break
>subs dont get paid vacations
>finally got paid today
>thought i would have at least 20 dollars extra to buy it
>got payed the exact amount of my monthly bills
>wont get payed till the end of the month
>>
I fucking hate dunkey and all of you autists
>>
File: 1e9.jpg (81KB, 490x722px) Image search: [Google]
1e9.jpg
81KB, 490x722px
>>388905374
But That's a retarded argument. He bitches about the counter button but playing that retarded would stretch a 10 second fight into 5 minutes and literally doesn't work at all about 30 minutes into the game once new enemies are introduced.
>>
File: IMG_20170803_190935.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170803_190935.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>388904069
sup buddy
>>
>>388906627
Ballerina Batman is videogame exclusive. But even if Batman did act like this, it makes for pretty shitty combat. I'm sure if Rocksteady just decided to take away all the automation I could endure Bamham, but as it is it's more of a rhythm game where you don't have to have any rhythm or pay attention. You just counter iframe your way through it all, positioning means fuck all, you get the cool cinematic slowdowns, it's such a shallow visual spectacle game.
>>
>>388906469
Wacky Work Bench
>>
File: 1501861447000.gif (365KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1501861447000.gif
365KB, 500x275px
>Crash is back
>Sonic is back
>Donkey Kong is back

>Ape Escape is dead for literally no reason and Spyro was raped to death by Activision
>>
>>388905374
>people are defending a dodge move with such insane invincibility frames and instant recovery
not even God of War is that gay.
>>
>>388907441
>Ape Escapefags pretending their series was ever anything more than a 7/10
>>
>i need validation from an eceleb to buy something
Absolutely fucking pathetic.
>>
>>388907294
The combat is shallow but Rocksteady's intention was to make a faithful recreation of how Batman fight. Like I said before, he's suppose to be untouchable, so the combat portrayed that: you aren't supposed to get hit whatsoever. Most hand-to-hand combat system in other games are usually a brawling one, while batman is a superhero where he never take a hit ever. I get that it ultimately reduced itself to a glorified rhythm game but there's an intention of doing so and they succeeded at that.

This is why I usually don't like this system on other games, because it shows that they don't get why it exist and solely put it because it's popular.
>>
>>388907895
I don't know, man. When I think Batman, I think preptime, not facing 20 thugs head on. They dropped the ball hardcore on that, a Batman game should play like a severely nerfed, super powerless Dishonored.
>>
>>388908485
That's what predator mode role tho
>>
>>388908586
Not really. Every time I tried stealth I couldn't shake the feeling of conveniently placed places to hang from and the lack of effort in clearing up enemies. That mechanic of terrorizing enemies was a good concept but it never really went anywhere.
>>
Wow I thought people being sheeps for e-celebs was just hyperbole but this thread proves it's very real.

Imagine, there's people out there that think Sonic was never good, not because it's they're own opinion, but because the funny man Arin Hanson on the Grumpy Gamer show they like told them so.
>>
File: tailsunusedsprite.webm (300KB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
tailsunusedsprite.webm
300KB, 540x300px
discuss
>>
>>388909480
I wonder why they didn't use it? Since it's clearly done and he just uses a canned animation there instead. Maybe they forgot to add it in late in the development?
>>
>>388909163
Yeah so weird that a group animal takes opinions from other people, wow.
>>
>>388909480
>>388909710
TROO
FRAR
>>
>>388898272
I usually feel like Dunkey's videos try too hard to be randumb but this one actually gave me a few chuckles and was a bit elaborate. I would've taken some off the score for the bugs, but I suppose that wouldn't be too fair considering the bugs aren't all super game-breaking since you just die and start over again.
>>
File: mIenxWR.jpg (33KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
mIenxWR.jpg
33KB, 399x388px
>>388904902
>it has to be that no ones even trying to crack it
I'm afraid of this possibility
Sometimes some games get ignored
>>
>>388905465
>It is literally just Super Mario in a different coat of paint.
It's actually a much more shallow game than Mario
It's gameplay is more simplistic than the fucking original Super Mario Bros. on NES

It sold purely on graphics alone
>>
>>388901798
>DKC, Rayman, Oddworld and WarioLand
All of those are trash franchises
>>
>>388906283
>Retro Studios game with pretty good budget
>Sonic game made by literal who fans with a small budget
>Nintendo gets blown the fuck out
>Ninteniggers start crying
Wew lad
>>
>>388910923

Go to bed, Shiggy.
>>
>>388911121
Fuck off Rarefag
Rare has always fucking sucked
>>
>>388904375
>Rocket Knight Adventures
My nigga
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.