[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've seen threads about this game and it made me curiou

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: download.png (8KB, 351x143px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
8KB, 351x143px
I've seen threads about this game and it made me curious enough to look up a review. Found this instead. https://youtu.be/_Buwei6ZWqU
Is this video accurate? If so, why is this game so popular?
>>
I aint watching a 30 minute review to be able to answer your question nigga
>>
>>388874707

yes
good presentation and catchphrases
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-01-00-49-27.png (496KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-01-00-49-27.png
496KB, 1080x1920px
>>388875029
TL;DR I think
>>
>>388875231
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>388874707
>Is this video accurate?
Yes.

>If so, why is this game so popular?
It's pretty fun if you don't try to beat it and just start a new game whenever your heroes start reaching level six.

t. guy who's entered the first Darkest Dungeon mission exactly one time
>>
>>388875587
>Turn based combat is boring
Thats like just your opinion man
>Over reliance on randomness
Not sure what he means by this, combat isnt that random.
>Massive grind
True, would not be such an issue if...
>Lack of gameplay variety
...this problem was solved somehow.
>>
>>388876671
Was it solved?
>>
>>388875587
Okay, I can't disagree with those things because they're opinions or statements that qualify opinions.
Point one is a plain and honest opinion. Some people like it, some people don't.
Second point is true, but it's just a statement. RNG can be interesting and some people enjoy not being in complete control.
Third point is only as true as you make it. If you're bad, you'll have to grind more.
Fourth point is just a random statement. What is gameplay variety? Compared to what other games? Etc. etc.
>>
>>388876310
So what you're saying is that it gets boring fast?
>>
>>388876910

no
>>
>>388874707
The game looks great and fun by all means but gets boring and repetitive very fast
>>
>>388877208
Well I mean that's what the rest of the video is for I think.
Basically one of the big points is that once your heroes start reaching level 6 there's nothing for you to learn and you've got to train at least 16 of them to beat the game, if one of them dies that's however many hours of grinding lost forever, and you have to do the exact same thing over and over again.
>>
>>388877541

>if one of them dies that's however many hours of grinding lost forever

First of all, there is a town even that lets you revive past heros and second of all, by end game you can have lvl3s show up at the town with lvl4 armor and skills out of 5. All you have to do is like 2-3 dungeons with them to get them back to champion, its not even bad.
>>
File: 1501511501668.jpg (318KB, 731x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501511501668.jpg
318KB, 731x720px
>>388874707
I got a few hundred hours in this game. It's one of those games that are better going in with knowledge, instead of being blind, because they don't tell you anything. It's well worth it if turn-based combat and difficulty are your kind of thing. You will absolutely despise the RNG at first, and may forever, but it becomes mitigated once you know what you're doing and get accustomed to it. Yet, that's a problem with alot of the people who hate this game, they don't take the time to understand it, complaining about RNG when it wrecks them, but never complain when it favours them heavily. They want to win, but can't grasp that you can actually lose now. Lost a hero? Tough shit, man, there's four more on the carriage, pick one of 'em up. Don't like them? Don't use 'em, go on a dungeon with your other heroes, Victory or retreat, you now have four more. Learn from your mistakes, and do better.

Rant over, but the only issue I have with it, aside from the DLC, is the late game. The whole point is to build up a team to take on the Darkest Dungeons, but as I mentioned before, they don't fucking tell you anything. So, you actually have to go through 4 Darkest Dungeons, needing 16 heroes, which if you lose a single one, you are put back for weeks until you get a replacement, and the worst thing about this, is that some heroes just will not work. God help you if you don't bring a Man-At-Arms that's properly set-up for the second dungeon. It's not impossible, but it is incredibly annoying. You wouldn't know you needed a MAA if you played through blind, like I did, and I had lost 2 heroes because I couldn't retreat. But, I also lost another hero because you have to sacrifice someone to actually leave a Darkest Dungeon, so I had lost 3 heroes.

This problem is mostly fixed with the addition of Radiant Mode.
Side note, just remembered there's a character limit here.
>>
>>388878532
Not him, but that event is RARE, and you only get the character. Not the upgrades and quirks, and no, it takes more than 2 or 3 dungeons to get a level 3 to Champion. I'm willing to bet it takes at least 10 weeks. Here's hoping he survives that long, but more importantly, he's actually worth the investment.
>>
>>388879202

The max for a fresh level 3 would be 4 Short Veteran trips, as they need 16exp to get 3 -> 5 and Shorts give 4 exp each. Going along that it takes only 3 Mediums and 2 Longs to get a fresh 3 to level 5
>>
>>388879859

Forgot to mention that is for Radiant, as that seem to be what most people like to play on
>>
>>388874707
Couple of reasons.

First reason is OMG ITS ROUGELIKE DARKSOULS even though the balance and game play are fucking garbage. To much RNG reliance like your party getting a hunger check three times in a row when entering an area.

If you are just playing one hour of it on your youtube lets play channel or you got no fucking life to keep doing the same thing over and over again with random ass luck then the atmosphere is good. It all boils down to thinking you are good at a difficult game when their is very little skill involved.
>>
File: 1384579664715.jpg (94KB, 600x626px) Image search: [Google]
1384579664715.jpg
94KB, 600x626px
>>388880305
>equip your party with the right trinkets
>hunger tiles are now free healing
>coupled with a trinket that can push most classes over 100% trap disable
>dead end hallways are now risk free opportunities for party wide heals and stress heals

There's a lot of different ways to play once you become knowledgeable about the game.
>>
>>388881380
Sorry but after getting wailed on with 8 crits on a normal dungeon and how shitty the first boss fight is this game can eat shit.
>>
File: 1483983880760.png (154KB, 374x321px) Image search: [Google]
1483983880760.png
154KB, 374x321px
>>388881631
No need to be mad.
>>
>>388881715
I mean who wouldn't after spending money on a game they hate? Especially how the first few hours are acceptable until it fucks you up the ass later on so its to late to refund it.
>>
>>388882047
You made inefficient decisions early on because you didn't know better. The game's not difficult at all when you know more. That's one of the rewards for enjoying the gameplay; it gets easier as you learn. If you don't like the gameplay that's entirely understandable, but if you did I would say to keep playing.
>>
The game is really meant for long play and self discovery of mechanics of the gameplay. I enjoy such games that let you experiment. The only downside is maybe needs more bosses insted of just upping the boss power for champion missions
>>
>>388883513
Pitch Black Dungeon mod would be right up your alley. Adds a lot of interesting enemy mechanics as well as adds new ways to interact with curios and a ton of other stuff. If you're a veteran and looking to spice things up I recommend it.
>>
>>388883842
Sounds like it would be fun. I'm nearing the end of my stygian run.
>>
>>388878881
What's wrong with the DLC?
Would you say someone should play radiant or normal as their first?
>>
>>388884673
The DLC is made with you already having played the main campaign and being familiar and comfortable with all the base mechanics first, because it adds a lot more that changes the full campaign. it's not just an additional chapter.

you'll be fine playing radiant first, the only thing you'll miss is the added complexity of dealing with regular deaths. of course its still challenging enough for a new player to have heroes die occasionally.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.