[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why aren't there any games with this level of detail/scope?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: vTfkU7V.jpg (283KB, 1680x755px) Image search: [Google]
vTfkU7V.jpg
283KB, 1680x755px
why aren't there any games with this level of detail/scope?

I wish Fallout looked like this tbqh
>>
Looks like yet another another real boring open world game to me.
>>
>>388866691
because then that image would be the size of the entire map and with "bigger = better" being the open world meme for the last 7 years it wouldn't look good on the back of the box
>>
File: BostonHarbor-Fallout4.jpg (363KB, 1425x784px) Image search: [Google]
BostonHarbor-Fallout4.jpg
363KB, 1425x784px
>>388866759
yeah but they all look shitty and small in comparison to that
>>
>>388866691
Because making something that intricate is time consuming and expensive, so they take shortcuts which make the whole thing feel hollow and lifeless.
>>
>>388866691
The division is the only thing that comes close.
Wish ubisoft weren't the publishers.
Massive are so good at world building
>>
>>388866691

Beth uses a shit engine which isn't capable of handling large scenes. And most IRL locations (including ones inside Fallout) were designed primarily for cars. But since the player probably won't have a car, this makes traversing those spaces a lot longer which casuals find boring so developers don't do it.
>>
File: Rivet_City_panorama.jpg (972KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Rivet_City_panorama.jpg
972KB, 1920x1080px
>>388866845
>>388866691

also here's a direct comparison to the original FO3 concept art in my OP. looks so cheaply built and scaled back in comparison
>>
File: FNV_concept_art_Vegas_Skyline.jpg (3MB, 3009x1272px) Image search: [Google]
FNV_concept_art_Vegas_Skyline.jpg
3MB, 3009x1272px
>>388867229
and here's another piece of concept art from New Vegas. I hope games can reach this level of detail one day, maybe it's not possible.
>>
>>388866691
>>388866845
>>388867229
>>388867354
In other words, you want open world games to be even bigger and emptier than they already are. I'm glad you're not in charge.
>>
>>388867431
no, I want them bigger, more detailed, and with more things to do. But maybe that's not feasible yet.
>>
Novigrad and Beauclair from the Witcher 3.
>>
>>388867535
It will NEVER be feasible, my man. Video games aren't developed by armies of immortal men with infinite money and coding wisdom. There is such a thing as a compromise of depth, length and area size. And that's without even getting into the fact that games are only getting more expensive because of graphics + marketing.
>>
>>388867431

Bigger doesn't necessarily imply emptier. Much of the storytelling in Fallout is done (or at least attempted to be done) by the environment. A burned out husk of a store or a fence surrounding a parking lot has a lot of opportunities to do that, even if it just acts as a thing someone walks by to a dungeon. Same for a large freeway interchange, or areas around an industrial site.

But this doesn't happen to the extent it should because Beth uses a shit engine that isn't capable of it, and wouldn't anyway because casuals would ignore most of it and find it boring.
>>
>>388868109
Rightfully so. Fallout 1 and 2 were way better games because they didn't have to worry about designing every single area of the map. There were only a few points of interest that they actually wasted their time with.
>>
>>388867354
Its honestly cringeworthy how bad vagas turned out in game

Even DC managed to feel like a real citty compared to the small hamlet of las vagas and to a much lesser extent boston
>>
>>388868197

yeah but that also gets lame after a while, especially when Beth uses the same basic model for all their NPC towns (central object -> branches from it) which they rip off from IRL theme park design (this is why they thought nuka world was so cool despite it being an otherwise boring expansion)
>>
>>388866691

Because the license is held by a lazy Jew studio that's still using their 2006 engine that looked outdated when Fallout 3 was released.
>>
>>388868314

modders fixed it though
>>
>>388868581
Why do they do than now? They didn't do it wit oblivion, which had branching streets as much as they could given their small sizes
>>
>>388868314
The thing is is that Fallout 3 and 4 take place entirely within one city, which even their shitty engine can handle for the most part. New Vegas tried to squeeze 50 square miles of space into something that Gamebryo can somewhat handle, so they had to make everything tiny and shitty by comparison. Just go to Google Maps and look at how big places such as Goodsprings, Primm, Boulder City, Searchlight, Vegas, etc are compared to in-game, or how far apart they are.
>>
>>388868109
Doesn't help that fallout 4 removed a bunch of world decorations.
There was no raider grafitti or anything like fallout 3 had to make the random Dungeon areas still feel populated
>>
>>388869680

because it's easier to design custom environments around and easier to squeeze more interactivity out of casuals
>>
i dont want to play a game where everybody has rebuilt. i want ro run around and killing faggots over empty cans of beans
>>
honestly i'd rather have smaller maps with 100% of buildings having fully detailed and enter-able interiors
>>
>>388870176
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57927/?
>>
File: Xbox-One-Game-4A-600x338.jpg (35KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox-One-Game-4A-600x338.jpg
35KB, 600x338px
>>388866691
Metro Exodus doesn't look too far off
>>
>>388871226
>see that mountain
>>
>>388870262

then you get lots and lots of hallways
>>
>>388870262
Building interiors are BORING unless you throw away the reality focus in favor of maze like underground secret labs and shit like that.
>>
File: maxresdefault(95).jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(95).jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>>388866969
This.

Open world games are usually copy pasted assets if anyone hadn't noticed. Making every building and street unique isn't doable.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.