[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know why you keep trumpeting Sonic Mania as the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: Sonics.png (627KB, 1000x1047px) Image search: [Google]
Sonics.png
627KB, 1000x1047px
I don't know why you keep trumpeting Sonic Mania as the true way forward for the series.

I beat the game a few times already and now I'm bored. It might be worth revisiting but the experience was flash-in-the-pan. Fun for about three weeks but the magic evaporates very quickly.

Now if you think that's all the franchise can manage without fucking up these days, we can debate that.
>>
>>388861351

2d > 3d

in life, in games, and in the universe.
>>
>>388861351
You should try the Sonic Advance series, it is a much more difficult take on the Sonic classic games.

It is why many complain about it.
>>
>>388861563
Alright 1 and 2 had legit problems but 3 was really good.
>>
>>388861563
I don't really need to "try" them considering Advance 2 is (controversially) one of my favorite Sonic games.

Ironically I don't like the boost games (though I think the reason for this is how much it trivializes level design and dealing with enemies, not so much the raw speed factor).
>>
>>388861351
The only 3D Sonic games worth playing are:
>Sonic 3D Blast
>Sonic Jam
>Sonic Adventure 1
>Sonic Battle
>Sonic Robo Blast 2
>Sonic Colors
>Sonic Utopia
That's it.
>>
>>388862048
Sonic Colors is overrated.
>>
>>388862179
Better overrated than straight mediocre like Unleashed and Generation.
>>
>>388862376
Sonic Unleashed was a bad Sonic game but I enjoyed the beast Sonic sections.

Sonic Generations was alright but also overrated due to only being good due to the sum of its parts.

Lost World is iffy but conceptually good.
>>
>>388861351
>Game has only been out two weeks
>Beat it multiple times already
>Bu-but it isn't that good
>>
>>388861351
Sonic doesn't work in 3D.
>>
>>388862737
That's why Adventure 1 was so great right? Fuck off already
>>
>>388862737
Then how about this: let the Mania team compose a 2D Sonic game using the Retro Engine but NOT structure it like a Genesis game. Aim higher and make something along the lines of Freedom Planet with story interludes and an overriding plot that connects all the levels together.
>>
>>388862048
3D Blast was awful.
>>
>>388862958
>with story interludes and an overriding plot that connects all the levels together.
NO FUCK NO. NO.
I liked Freedom Planet a lot but the constant cutscenes and cringy voice acting really made me want to punch my balls.
And spare me the "just skip them" fanfare, if I pay for a game, I'll play it fully and judge it fully as well.
Keep story, long cutscenes and shit out of 2D Sonic.
>>
>>388863195
Your opinion is awful.
>>
>>388863335
Well then we're back to square fucking one. Even if Sonic Mania was 100% new stages it's only going to have as much longevity as it did with a bunch of reimagined levels.

Is that all you want with a Sonic game? Something that only lasts a couple of weeks and then you leave it behind to play something else?
>>
>>388863195
Fuck off it was a great little game get some fucking taste I swear if I found you I'd kick your FUCKING ASS
>>
>>388863335
Your opinion is awful.

>>388863427
The community made a mod to cut out the focus of the gameplay.
>>
>>388862958
I would rather it use the modern design and be a successor to the Advance series if SEGA did that.
>>
>>388861351
All positives. Sonic is meant to be a fast game, played quickly, beaten quickly, and 100%'ed quickly. Games being long are bad. Well, bad for anybody without autism and a life to live outside of playing video games.
>>
>>388863723
That's what I had in mind too. Classic Sonic shouldn't have to be bogged down with lots of story but a 2D game starring modern Sonic that doesn't 100% try to emulate a Genesis game could work with such a lofty mentality.

You could probably approach it like Sonic Heroes where all the playable characters mostly retain the same goals (reach the end of the stage) but have very unique ways to get to them to keep their stages from being too alike to one another.
>>
>>388863830
Then why buy any long game? Why should this only apply to Sonic?

If you want short-burst gaming that's fine but then it's not Sonic that should be bound by such a condition. Otherwise it's acceptable to go in the other direction (give Sonic comprehensive, involved games that take multiple sessions to play through and lots of things to do in order to 100%).
>>
>>388862879
Was it? I couldn't get past the part of the game where god kept pulling me through the wall and into the ocean, so I quit. I do not respect games where invisible magnets keep killing me.
>>
>>388864091
Fuck are you talking about? Stop making up lies "hehehe it buggy cuz Arin game grumps say so XD" fucking faggots like you need to be hanged
>>
>>388861351
>>388862879
>adventurecucks
>>
>>388863542
>Do you want a Sonic game to go by fast?

Yes. Most people don't have time for bullshit, so a play session that goes fast is exactly what Sonic is about. Beating the game fast. Seeing how fast you can do it. Seeing how fast you can collect the emeralds. Replaying to see what changes for what characters. The game is $20, its dirt cheap. Stop expecting more.
>>
>>388863542
You can replay games.
>>
>>388864362
"I know I know I'll put the word cuck at the end of a word that'll show em!!" I swear to everything I'd kill you where you stand you motherfucker stop talking shit
>>
>>388863961
>Then why buy any long game?
I don't.
>It's acceptable to go in the other direction (give Sonic comprehensive, involved games that take multiple sessions to play through and lots of things to do in order to 100%)
Sonic Mania already has this:
>Emeralds
>Medals
>Getting all gold medals
>>
>>388864425
Wasn't that the problem I had in the OP?
>>
>>388864183
No dude its true. On the first level, after the ramp, I go down this path to a loop, and it keeps pulling me through the wall and into the ocean. Yeah, same thing did happen to Arin, but after he got past that part, I turned it off. Didn't know that Arin had no game standards at all, to keep playing such a broken piece of shit.
>>
>>388864673
You can replay it for more than three weeks.
>>
>>388864726
Stop hating on a game I enjoyed thoroughly.
>>
>>388864786
I don't want to, do you?
>>
File: 1503028686873.png (42KB, 1419x983px) Image search: [Google]
1503028686873.png
42KB, 1419x983px
>>388861701
Advance 1 was trash. I think they tried to make it a lot closer to Sonic 1, but not as good and physics are a bit wonky. It also has serious level design problems because they couldn't work with the limited screen size. You end having to do a bunch of leap of faiths for no reason.

They also thought it would be a good idea to make the fucking spikes come out of the ground below you exactly when you stop because you hit a wall. I'd understand it if it happened one time because they wanted to fuck people over for chuckles but this shit happens way too often. It's terrible.

But in Advance 2 they managed to fix most of this is stuff, it's actually kind of impressing they managed to work with same screen size but without having the issues it caused. It also has a lot more identity as a standalone game because it has a lot more focus on going fast. And differently from Advance 1, it actually brings something new to the series in term of levels. It's not perfect but it's good.

Been a while since I played 3. Sonic Battle is fun but gets old fast. The writing is surprisingly good though
>>
File: kit.jpg (40KB, 640x614px) Image search: [Google]
kit.jpg
40KB, 640x614px
Sonic is a platforming franchise where the platforming is the worst parts about the game. The boss fights are also all complete shit, in every game but you know what, I don't care about boss fights in platformers anyway.
But why the fuck do I still enjoy the games? Is it just a guilty pleasure?
>>
https://archiveofourown org/works/11923920 (Written by TimedWatcher)

http://www.archiveofourown org/works/11778270 (Cowritten by Butter-Boy and TimedWatcher)

http://archiveofourown org/works/11798901 (Cowritten by Omni2120 and TimedWatcher)
>>
>>388865002
Sonic is better than any NSMB game.
>>
File: you have gay.png (176KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
you have gay.png
176KB, 480x480px
>>388862376
>liking colors
>better than generations or unleashed
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.