[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody else miss this type of multiplayer? >asymmetric yet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
Anybody else miss this type of multiplayer?
>asymmetric yet balanced
>proper stealth multiplayer that worked
>being able to properly outwit your enemy on skill alone
They don't make em like this anymore
>>
>>388857835
I'm quite frankly surprised nobody stole their idea and made a dedicated MP game out of it.
>>
Blame blacklists, spies could go on a full assault, while the mercs had to travel in squads of 3 if they even wanted a chance to survive
it was fucking terrible
>>
Pour one out for Natural Selection
>>
>>388858164
Classic mode fixed all that, it was even more popular and could be played with fewer players.
>>
>>388858987
>spies can kill mercs from the front and sides
>spies can kill mercs from above even if the merc isnt directly beneath them like in CT
>spies can shock mercs and kill them while stunned and defenseless
>mercs dont have a charge or twist attack
>spies only need to be close to a merc for a melee kill
yeah no
>>
Pandora/CT was 10/10 because it was about objectives and the spy's objective was to avoid mercs and only kill when it benefits the capture of objectives. Even in the blacklist objective modes the mechanics make it a deathmatch anyway, you could win as spies in the original gamemode without ever killing anything.

The maps were designed better and had less linear pathways (harder to spawn kill) and the mercs were intimidating enough that you could just run up, shock them, and get a melee kill, you had to actually be stealthy, i.e. stalking, waiting around corners, waiting for the perfect moment.
>>
>>388860020
couldnt*

basically the game used to have a slow, intelligent, and unique gameplay, blacklist made it a fast-paced deathmatch with no finesse or charm.

I remember walking through dark mercs waiting for the enemy to come out of the shadows, trying to predict whether or not the other spy is with him or if one of them is the distraction, trying to predict the other team's tactics and setting traps, cutting off exits when the spy gets an objective and narrowing down all the possible escape routes and calculating the most likely, it was a mind game more than a physical fight. I always liked merc better, I was unique in that way, most people liked spy but playing merc was like playing a horror game where the monster was the biggest threat of them all: another person, lurking in the shadows. That feeling of bliss when you out-think a spy and cut him off on his escape, or when you let him think youre vulnerable before turning around and smacking them in the face. Blacklist doesnt really have these moments, and when it does its quickly ruined by the massive amount of respawns and a massive team of spies running around at full speed trying to knife you, the mind game is lost.
>>
>>388860662
dont forget map deformation and coop only accesable areas
>trapping a spy in a slow filling aquarium
>trapping a merc/spy in the aquarium tunnel to buy yourself some time
>multiple ways of winning, not just hacking
>cheeky easter eggs like the disco in the warehouse
>>
>>388858025
a small developer tried but they didnt have the resources, manpower, or following to finish so they never did. Im pretty sure the website it still up, forget what it was called. Project Stealth or something like that.
>>
>>388857835
>>asymmetric yet balanced
hasn't happened in the history of multiplayer gaming, I can't think of a single succcessful asymmetric multiplayer video game
>>
>>388859192
>Mercs had frag grenades and gas grenades
>Mercs had assault rifles and LMGs that shredded spies
>Spies were forced to do an objective on a timer easily reset by Mercs who also had things like proxy mines
Game was actually well balanced, but it seems your argument is entirely one sided, couldn't beat the spies bud?
>>
>>388862147
The shocker was ridiculously OP
If you hit a merc with it he was dead
At least in CT a shocked merc was unkillable to prevent people just stunning and killing
>>
>>388862147
i could win both sides too but it was still fast paced COD shit classic or not
>>
>tfw never had good enough internet to play online during the Chaos Theory days

Double Agent was fun on 360 though.
>>
>>388863023
Same.

It took heaps of skill to snap necks as a spy, but once you had that skill the dynamic of the game changed. Probably helped that the merc turning radius was limited by the controller, if they made a modern PC version they probably ruin it by making mouse-look (meaning mercs can actually watch their backs without penalty)

I really enjoyed Blacklist even still.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.