[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that while this game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: spm.jpg (20KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
spm.jpg
20KB, 303x166px
Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that while this game wasn't too great, the story was pure video game kino?
>>
>>388789327
I thought the game was pretty good. As a retarded high school faggot I thought the story was amazing as well.
>>
>>388789327
No, I liked the game itself. I thought it was a nice spinoff title.

They should have kept with this format if they really wanted to turn paper mario into something else, but no instead we got that Sticker Star and Color Splash garbage.
>>
>>388789327
this game was such a disappointment i became physically ill after finishing it. There is nothing worse than the fags who pretend like Sticker star was the "first bad paper mario".
>>
File: Kino.jpg (116KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Kino.jpg
116KB, 900x900px
>mario is literally sent to hell
The madmen.
>>
>>388789729
What really happened was people hated SPM when it came out, but after Sticker Star came out, it was so bad that people began to forgive SPM and say that they liked it. I know some people who liked SPM right when it came out, they even said it was the best one, but I remember thinking of it much less than the first two.

Is it the only mario game where luigi is the final boss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Waz-xPnNcaI
>>
>>388789327
I unronically loved the romance and got a bit emotional at the end.
>>
The story was really nothing special. People just think it's the best thing ever because retards think that more melodrama = better story.

The original Paper Mario had the best story our of all the Paper Mario games, FYI. The overall theme of comraderie was great, the wacky places and characters you met along the way were top-notch, and the build-up to the final boss was unironically some of the most kino I've ever seen.
>>
>>388790062
Thoughts on SPM's soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgSQ0r3gv3o
>>
>>388789327
I think it's better when L O R E is involved and Mario's party takes an actual backseat to any heavy or implied story elements.
The execution was well done, and as long as it's more "show, don't tell" or hands-off where darker elements can be left separate from any main gameplay, it's fine.
>>
File: sammerkingdom.jpg (147KB, 999x553px) Image search: [Google]
sammerkingdom.jpg
147KB, 999x553px
>that wonderful mayflower romance story
>mario getting sent to literal hell
>dementio straight up killing dudes in a kid's game
>sammer kingdom getting straight up annihilated and erased
>mimi body horror
>dating sim segment
>watching your partners die one by one trying to let each other carry on, classic japanese kino

Absolute kino and the darkest nintendo game we've ever gotten. It's a great game that was brought down by a few bad segments and lackluster final boss. People think it's complete shit because it looks awful when compared to TTYD and the original paper mario. It's a lot better if you look at it as a standalone game.
>>
>>388790558
>kino
>kino
>KINO
shut the fuck up
>>
>>388790148
Don't be fucking dumb, the love story melodrama stuff is hardly the only reason to like it for the story.
Between everything about Dimentio and Luigi, all the backstory stuff and lore, settings like hell and heaven, and some of the individual stories per chapter like Luvbi and Squirps (which maybe you count as melodrama but fuck you they were good) the game easily has the most going for it in terms of story than any other paper Mario.
>>
>>388790558
What people forget is that they left the comical Mario elements in, JUXTAPOSED with the dark stuff. I think you're forgetting, mind you, what "Hell" was called in the game.

The darkness worked not because it was dark in itself, but because it somehow meshed perfectly with the funnier elements of the story and, in some cases (Dimentio being most of them), worked in tandem.
>>
This fuckin game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mACKOn5SrS8
>>
>>388790069
You must be me. It was likely because I was in high school but it's one of two games that ever made me cry. The picture of Bleck and Tippi on top of the hill at the end got me to tear up a bit.
>>
/tv/ needs to fuck off back to their containment board. Kino, when used by those mouthbrestjing retards, makes me physically ill. I want to vomit when I see it.

STOP. FUCKING. USING. IT.
>>
>>388790803
That was the kicker. Only game to get me like that, and not having Tippi in the post game was bittersweet. Out of curiosity what was the other game?
>>
>people are now defending SPM
disgusting. I don't know if it's due to sticker star and color splash being so awful, plain shit taste, or both. But SPM is not a good game.
>>
>>388790918
>>388790675
きの (japanese for theatrical)

>>388790795
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAn5_G_eD8w
The music in the final stage is fucking fantastic. Paper mario games (the first three, anyways) have always had this unique aesthetic and feeling that I haven't been able to find in any other games. I'm not sure how to describe it either.

Makes me sad that we're never going to get another real paper mario game since Intelligent Systems drained all their talent away and only makes shitty games now.

>warioware
>paper mario
>advance wars
>old fire emblem

What the fuck happened to them?
>>
File: 16589150981905.jpg (84KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
16589150981905.jpg
84KB, 700x560px
>>388791010
Trails in the Skiy 3rd. The protagonist has a fucked up life and through a bunch of shenanigans ends up wandering around the place where he grew up alongside his childhood friend.

The music helped a lot too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF11p90v38o
>>
>>388791493
Paper mario had a great atmosphere/aesthetic yes. And I haven't seen it in something else either.
>>
>>388789327
It's fucking garbage.
It's your typical 2D mario but slower and with RPG elements.
>>
>>388791695
One day I'll finish
got up to the part where you have to finish everything before you go fight the final boss and just haven't played since, been like 4 months now. First game I actually paid for in years too.
>>
File: A Man of Culture.jpg (79KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
A Man of Culture.jpg
79KB, 480x269px
>>388790148
>Spoiler
Patrician taste.
>>
>>388791418
It's as >>388790062 mentioned; People are lighter on it now because they were so let down by Sticker Star and Color Splash despite SPM being pretty much the opposite end of the scale problem-wise.
>>
>>388793941
Yeah the Trails series is weird. The gameplay is mediocre and often tedious. You really have to fall in love with the characters and world if you plan on making it to the end, especially with how long they can be.
>>
>>388789327
This game is ass in every way. The gameplay is watered-down Mario platforming with "puzzles" every couple minutes that are mostly just key-on-door or resolved by pressing the A button. Plus backtracking and XD so random wacky dialogue.
The motivation of the antagonist is that he's throwing a temper tantrum because he lost his waifu. Then he gets his waifu back, saves the world that he endangered in the first place, and is still an irredeemable asshole. None of the Mario characters actually matter, they're just the muscle to go beat up the bad guy because he's bad. We're given so little information about the characters that it's difficult to give a shit about them.
>>
>>388795137
>We're given so little information about the characters that it's difficult to give a shit about them.
Wrong as fuck, seems like you just sped through the game
>>
>>388795137
>The motivation of the antagonist is that he's throwing a temper tantrum because he lost his waifu. Then he gets his waifu back, saves the world that he endangered in the first place, and is still an irredeemable asshole.
It's kinda like Romeo & Juliet, except if Romeo strapped a nuclear bomb to his chest to take the entire kingdom with him and if Juliet were turned into a butterfly after drinking the potion.
>>
>>388789327
I thought the story was dumb and the writing was two steps down from 64 and ttyd. In fact, the game would have been better than its predecessors if only it had had better writing.
>>
>>388789327
it's the greatest love story ever told
>>
What the fuck was up with those Puni things in ttyd?
>>
>>388796480
Just an original species. Even the first two games had those, just used more sparingly compared to all over the place in Super and nowhere at all (unless you count Kersti and Huey) in the other games.
>>
>>388789327
They tried to tell the greatest love story of the decade between a tiny butterfly and a top hat and cape with a face. If they'd both been actual people or given more personality the story probably would have been really effective. As it is, it feels very strange and disconnected because the game never takes the time to properly develop its characters.

Thousand-Year Door managed to give almost every single NPC a little bit of character, and NPCs who were important to the individual storylines were very well-developed. The problem with sacrificing the RPG format for (primarily) 2-D sidescrolling is that it can't get too bogged down in dialogue without affecting the pace of the game - when it was the writing and the humor that people liked about Paper Mario in the first place. So in the interest of making yet another bland 2-D sidescroller, IS decided to cut the dialogue and characterization out, and reduce the humor level to repetitive obnoxious self-reference. As a result, this game is mildly interesting in a vacuum and an utter disgrace compared to the other entries in the series.

Some of the music was really good, though.
>>
>generic jrpg plot
>suffocating romance subplot
Both the gameplay and story seem really kiddy. It's a low-gravity 2D Mario game, so it's impossible to lose and cutscenes are boring enough to put you to sleep. You're able to complete the pit of 100 trials as you as you unlock it, where you get character cards telling you their real identities. What a stupid thing to put in a game. None of the sections seem well thought out, and the levels are either forgettable, or just plain unfun. I pirated this in middle school and I remember being pissed at how bad it was.
>>
>>388789327
It was alright, the story is nothing to write home about.
>>
Super Paper Mario was a great game and I love it. I also love Mimi.
>>
>>388790558
super paper mario was my first paper mario game
I absolutely loved it
>>
File: 1498166819652.jpg (24KB, 314x267px) Image search: [Google]
1498166819652.jpg
24KB, 314x267px
>>388798269
>>
>>388789327
>literally Bad Fanfic: The Game
>>
>>388795137
>We're given so little information about the characters that it's difficult to give a shit about them.
This is exactly the problem. Compare the wacky random monologues each of the Pixls give you to the endless lines of dialogue that your companions had in the previous games, especially TYD. Your companions would constantly react to the things that were happening, reinforcing their characters, and since Mario HAD no character, this was absolutely crucial. With the Pixls, they just get one fucking annoying little speech and then they never speak another fucking word for the rest of the game. Peach and especially Bowser have some development, and Bowser has some of the funniest lines in the game when you're playing as him in certain cutscenes (not that he has much competition), but that's about it. So Peach and Bowser are the two most likeable and developed characters, and you can go through the ENTIRE GAME without EVER hearing 90% of the lines of dialogue they have! Chances are you probably won't, because the game loves the 3-D mechanic so much that the probability of you walking into a cutscene as anyone other than Mario are almost zero.

Count Bleck is impossible to sympathize with because he spends 99.9% of the game trying to bring about a multidimensional apocalypse, and Tipi likewise spends about 98% of the game as a confused amnesiac trying to work through her romantic feelings for a fat Italian-American plumber with no personality. Wow, I REALLY fucking care about these two jackasses and whether or not they get married and live happily ever after together. Oh, a little tentacled alien got to make its mom's ghost proud? Oh, the race of evil mind-controlling plant-people were really just trying to protest against the pollution of the local water supply? If only I didn't fucking hate every single one of them, I might actually care. Fuck this game fifteen thousand times.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.