[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never played a Final Fantasy game and I want to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

I've never played a Final Fantasy game and I want to get into the series. Which game should I start with, and which should I avoid?
>>
the game boy advance versions of IV, V and VI are all pretty good starting points
the DS versions of III and IV are really difficult, especially for beginners so I'd recommend avoiding them for now
I and II are good, the GBA remake of them (or the PSP remakes, which are even better) is good although a lot of people hate II because it's a really flawed, dated game and I is good but the remakes tone down the difficulty to make it really easy

in my opinion all three playstation games are good but they're really divisive and there are people who hate each of them, I'd say to just play them in the order of release after you finish IV, V and VI
from X and onwards the games become even more different from each other than they were before and I'd recommend trying all of them if you're able to (except XI and XIV which are mmorpgs, but if that's your thing then give it a go)
most of the final fantasy games aren't very hard and are fairly simple to get into so really you could play any of them
>>
Play them all in order you pleb.
>>
File: Palace_Pic_1.png (198KB, 514x386px)
Palace_Pic_1.png
198KB, 514x386px
>>388764540
FF 1-6 are relatively the same
FF 7-10 are relatively the same
FF11-15 blow ass

Tactics is the only good spin off
There aren't any good sequels
>>
>>388764540
Start with 7 or 9, avoid the first three, 11, 13, 14, and 15.
>>
>>388765139
>the game boy advance versions of IV, V and VI are all pretty good starting points

No, they are not, as they are broken and reduced from the original versions.

ALWAYS PLAY THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS OF ANY OLD GAME. ALWAYS.
>>
>>388764540
If you want to understand the spirit of final fantasy, play VI or VII. Probably VII since being in 3d and having cinematics and a slightly more modern interface and stuff will make it easier for you.

There's no reason to go back and play a bunch of final fantasy games, read great novels instead. If you didn't play them in their time, VI and VII is enough.

10, 12, 13, and 15 are "avoid at all costs" territory. Everything below 9 and above 3 is good.
>>
>>388764540
Final Fantasy VII
>>
I would start with 7 since it is the most iconic and, lets be honest, the best final fantasy released to date. I would also definitely play 8, 9, 10. The good super retro final fantasies are 4, 5, and 6. 1 is decent but only really good if you are playing it to see the roots of ff. 12-15 are ok. avoid 2-3 like the plague.
>>
OP here, is FFVII playable on modern platforms?
>>
>>388766317
6 is significantly better than 7, but 7 presents well and the story has an epic feel.
>>
>>388766509
yes it's called download a ps1 emulator and the disc images. do you think I was fucking joking?

>>388765736 this advice is not to be ignored, otherwise in EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE INSTANCE, EVER, YOU WILL ENCOUNTER SHIT THAT IS NOT CORRECT TO THE ORIGINAL GAME. ALWAYS. 100% OF ALL TIMES EVER.
>>
>>388765278
Wrong, XII is the best in the series.
>>
>>388766509
Yes. You could emulate it, buy a re-release on PC, buy it on PS3, on PS4...
>>
File: 1504124903287.jpg (59KB, 441x429px) Image search: [Google]
1504124903287.jpg
59KB, 441x429px
>>388766673
>Unfinished single player MMO with massively downgraded combat from XI is the best in the series
>>
>>388766673
>auto-battle
>mobile combat
>teleporting navigation

It had potential to be the best, great characters, good story, great world. But, it unfortunately falls short of hitting any Final Fantasy characteristics of gameplay.
>>
>>388766790
>>388766919
>playing rpgs for the combat
fags
>>
>>388766781
I can't usually invest myself in a game if I'm emulating it.

>>388766781
I think I'll pick it up for PS4, then. thanks.
>>
Play VII just ao you can shit post.
>>
>>388766673
FFXII is a single player MMO and is not to be counted among the rest of the single player gaems because it does not exhibit single player game design

it is, literally, a single player mmo. one of the worst game deisgn decisions ever seen
>>
Just wait until FF7R comes out, it's all dated shit from the 90's nowadays.
>>
>>388767001
Well the story stops happening half way through and then just ends and Vaan and Penelo are completely unnecessary additions to the game so I'm not really sure that there is left.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.