[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that The Kino Within's DLC got the horror done

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

Why is it that The Kino Within's DLC got the horror done damn well while the main game was just fluctuating between quality horror and shit? I mean both DLCs gave me Team Silent Sikent Hill vibes.

If they build off the formula from both those DLCs, the next game will be great.
>>
pusy
>>
>>388737007
>horror done damn well
LMAO. The DLCs is as scary as Spy Fox.
>>
>>388737230
Fuck off back to /tv/ faggot.
>>
>>388737446
The only truly scary games are first person/VR games. With that said, just because the game didn't have you shitting your pants it doesn't mean the horror wasn't done well.
>>
>>388737007
Because it was a different guy from Bethesda, not Shinji Mikami.

TEW2 is being handled by the same guy who directed/wrote the Kidman DLCs, with Mikami's input over the level structuring/gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>388737446
Spy Fox is badass
>>
>>388737978
Oh thank God, we'll definitely get to play an actual horror game. Not that TEW didn't have its moments. The Inner Recesses chapter was my favorite folloowed by the beginning where you're supposed to escape the chainsaw dude.

Just wondering, is the guy who replaced Mikami Japanese or a westerner?
>>
>>388737646
>The only truly scary games are first person/VR games
Only if you're fucking 8.
>>388738187
Westerner. He is Mikami's protege like how Kamiya was his when both worked at Capcom
>>
>>388737007
>If they build off the formula from both those DLCs
>Liking the DLC's more than the main game
The DLC's was just an extended stealth section. I don't mind that style of gameplay, but I bought The Evil Within for survival horror, not that shit.
>>
>>388738424
t. contrarian who has only ever watched others play in VR.

You're not impressing anybody, so just stop it.
>>
>>388738891
Isn't survival horror, you know surviving your ordeal?
Of course fucking stealth us gonna be involved. You're telling me that if you get captured by a group of psychopaths and manage to escape from their immediate hold you're just gonna run out screaming or are you gonna be smart and leave without them ever noticing?
>>
>>388739262
>Isn't survival horror, you know surviving your ordeal?
Let's not argue semantics when you perfectly know well what I mean.
>>
>>388739049
t. kiddie that gets spooked by something as generic as the imagery in the Evil Within or whatever shit walking sim like Layers of Fear, Resident Evil 7

Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>388738891
>I don't mind that style of gameplay, but I bought The Evil Within for survival horror, not that shit.
See >>388737978. So it's not like it's going full DLC, just the writing/direction will.
>>
>>388739502
First of all, I didn't find the Evil Within scary in the slightest. The early levels had good atmosphere as did the DLCs. But I'm not gonna argue with some faggot that's too much of a bitch and too pretentious to buy these horror games he shits on and just watches LPs on YT and makes his judgements from the people he watches play.
>>
>>388738424
>The only truly scary games are first person/VR games
>Only if you're fucking 8.
Name a game you find scary. Genuinely curious.
>>
I want to try this game but I hate jumpscares, how is it in that departament?
>>
>>388737007
The main game is trying to different things at once and they don't mesh well together.
>>
>>388740109
There aren't any
>>
>>388737646
>The only truly scary games are first person/VR games.
Funny. A big chunk of 3rd person horror games have been not only way higher quality, but also a ton more atmospheric and spooky.
>>
>>388739502
>>388740823
name one
>>
>>388740950
Silent Hill
>>
>>388741009
not scary
just like evil within
>>
>>388741009
Outed yourself as a mong who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about already and merely parrots what he has heard others say. Silent HIll is amazingly atmospheric and has done amazing things, but it isn't scary in the slightest.
>>
>>388740016
This faggot is too good to find anything scary. Anything and everything is a walking simulator with overused cinematics. Watching LPers has shown him this. He'll never buy a horror game, but will judge them as if he's played them all.
>>
>>388741064
>>388741146
>SH
>not scary
You guys are literal psychopaths.

It's EXACTLY the atmospheric horror that makes SH1-3 them so scary.
>>
>>388741146
This.

But according to the faggots that call everything a walking sim, SH is the epitome of survival horror. Everything else besides early RE is trash.

This is coming from a major Silent Hill fan.
>>
>>388741275
>Fixed Camera angles as well as third person so you aren't the one actually being immersed
>Radio that constatnly clues you in to when an enemy is nearby
>enemies themselves are usually slow as shit and you always have ample resources to kill them
Shut the fuck up. There has only ever been one moment in the series of the 1-3 where I have been genuinely spooked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQUWEKCbpE
I love Silent Hill, but it is not a game that scares me.
>>
>>388741518
>Fixed Camera angles as well as third person so you aren't the one actually being immersed
On the contrary. SHs are some of THE most immersive games I've played, and the camera angles only add to the mood.

>Radio that constatnly clues you in to when an enemy is nearby
...which combined with the limited visibility AND the game's tendency to occasionally fuck with the player in numerous ways using the radio as a medium only enhance the atmosphere further. It's not what you see, but what you DON'T, but know / expect to be there.
>enemies themselves are usually slow as shit and you always have ample resources to kill them
Someone has clearly only played SH2, and only Easy mode.
I'd also state that the best SH spooks are the numerous instances where there is NO enemies at all, but I guess such artistry totally flies over your head.

Literally only game scarier than SH1 & 3 has been Afraid Of Monsters: DC.
>>
File: Untitled.png (516KB, 1273x703px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
516KB, 1273x703px
>>388739834
>>388741170
Except I do play those games, you projecting shitcunt.
>>388740016
Fuck all. I got spooked by some game when I was fucking 8, and looking back, it was as scary as a clown shoe. Grow up.
>>
File: SH4 child monster.jpg (283KB, 912x1280px) Image search: [Google]
SH4 child monster.jpg
283KB, 912x1280px
>>388741146
>>388741064
not him, but I played all the SH games for the first time between 2010-11, and honestly couldn't play them more than around 30 minutes at once. That atmosphere is simply haunting and the enemies fucked up. Screw anyone saying these games aren't scary.
>>
>>388741931
>camera angles only add to the mood.
You are delusional. Camera angles add to vunerability unlike over the shoulder third person view, but your field of visiopn is hardly limited and you still normally have eay view of an entire room. Plus with that caera angle, you have less agency in the world since it further accentuates that you are merely a bystander player.
>Someone has clearly only played SH2, and only Easy mode.
Nice assumptions. Let's not pretend that Silent Hill is the pinnacle of difficulty, the games are not that hard and it easy pretty easy to kite practically every enemy in the game. Silent Hill is not that scary of a game.
>>388742160
>Fuck all
Should have just said that you don't find any game scary instead of acting like a child.
>>388742339
Fear is wholly subjective, but I'm always the impression that the more immersive a game is to remove that notion that you are playing a game, the more scary it is. Silent Hill does not do that to me. I don't find it scary.
>>
Just started this and can't seem to put my pistol away even after trying every key on my keyboard. Does it just stay out always?
>>
>>388742716
>Plus with that caera angle, you have less agency in the world since it further accentuates that you are merely a bystander player.
Never had this problem. Guess I got a good imagination and immersion (which I already kinda knew), but I do literally place myself in the shoes of the MC, no matter what. Unless the game's very arcadey or something. At very least I assume a role of someone responsible of guiding this poor guy, the MC, through the hostile world of the game.

>Nice assumptions.
Pretty normal ones, given your statements above.

>Let's not pretend that Silent Hill is the pinnacle of difficulty
Did I even hint of something like that?
If you are playing SH1, many enemies are on-par with your speed and dangerous. SH2 is the only one where things are laughably slow, but mostly on the Easy/Beginner difficulties, that literally put the enemies into slowmotion.

>Silent Hill is not that scary of a game
it is one of the scariest games ever created.
>>
File: 1501692647325.jpg (578KB, 1280x1867px) Image search: [Google]
1501692647325.jpg
578KB, 1280x1867px
Kidmin tickles my funny bone.
>>
File: prometheus-.gif (3MB, 220x242px) Image search: [Google]
prometheus-.gif
3MB, 220x242px
>>388737007
>caring about horror

I played it for the gameplay.

Any game that tries too hard to be scary only ends up playing like shit.
>>
>>388742979
Press the key that is normally used for matches (I believe C or ctrl) and she should holster her weapon.
>>
>>388743216
I'm not even going to delve on the difficulty anymore since this falls onto the issue of playstyles. I found it pretty easy to dispatch most enemies throughout the game, ammo was never sparse, and melee was always viable even on Hard. I will grant you that my memory is a little foggy on one, but 2 and 3 that was certainly the case.

This all comes down purely subjective tastes and experiences with the medium. You can believe that it is the scariest game all you want, while I will continue with the notion that it isn't all that scary.
>>
>>388743716
Thanks anon, should I play with the black bars or get rid of them every time I run the game?
>>
>>388744030
GET FUCKING RID OF THEM
there is zero value to them unless you're one of those cinematic aesthetic faggots.
>>
>>388744120
It seems to cut off part of the screen of stretch out things when I get rid of it
>>
>>388744579
fix the FOV with console commands or something. check google.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.