[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think Nintendo will ever actually make a non-gimmick console

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 58

File: fb-400x400.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fb-400x400.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
Do you think Nintendo will ever actually make a non-gimmick console again? I think it's arguable that GameCube was it's last true console, no bullshit like Wii, or Wii U, etc. Their handheld division also went a bit off rails after say, the DSLite.

Lets say it's 2023. PS5 and X2ox are coming out (forget about PC in this kind of situation), and the specs are looking pretty great. Nintendo hasn't announced anything new yet, but they've been hinting, Switch is going good still. It's E3 time and Sony/Microsoft announce some good shit in terms of hardware and games.

Nintendo is doing their treehouse or whatever, and they reveal their new console. What do you think it would be? Some new gimmicky thing that has mediocre/out-dated specs like always or a full blown good ass console that is just as good as PS5/Xbox whatever.

What would you want? Would you be more inclined to buy a REAL nintendo console, one without any sort of bullshit attached to it? That's all I really want from games anymore, just no bullshit. I just want a console that has up to date hardware, and has fun games. I don't care about social integrations or taking it outside of the house or whatever other shit. I just want games.
>>
>>388690453
stopped reading at
>>Switch is going good still.
>>
>>388690702
It's a completely hypothetical situation you fucking troglodyte.

The TL;DR (which should have been in the OP) is: What do you want out of a new Nintendo console? More gimmick-console, or a full-blown console?
>>
File: tenor.gif (972KB, 496x280px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
972KB, 496x280px
>>388690453
nah they'll probably make nintendo glasses next that you play with motion control suction cups that attache to your finger tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYrutVyZ-A
>>
Nintendo consoles always have fun games

as for up to date hardware, very few people have that except autists who upgrade their rig every year
>>
>>388690453
nintendo needs to stop making hardware.
remember when they made that heart rate monitor and never released it? how much of your money did they use to do that?
>>
>>388691345
Not all R&D pans out.

The project was canned because it couldn't detect 1 out of 10 people's heart rates or something.
>>
>>388690453
Nintendo is done making home consoles they saw how well the mobile market was going and made a handheld console that resembled a tablet. Don't ever expect something like the NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, or Wii U again.
>>
>>388691279
That's why I said to leave PC out of it. Consoles never are better than a PC (expect for like maybe that extremely brief window of time when NES and SNES were). I'm talking strictly consoles and their specs here.

I just don't get Nintendos fascination with making their console a gimmick. Like needing it to have portability and detachable controllers or making it have a big game pad with a TV stuck in it, or whatever other BS they throw in.

All I want is a nintendo box that has good hardware and a controller plugged into it which plugs into my TV and I play some god damn games on it. No bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I liked old Nintendo stuff (GBC, GBA, DS, GC, etc) and I personally think the Switch is cool. But I just want a fucking box that plays games. Why can't they understand that?
>>
>>388691345
they make good software though. they should still do that. best situation for them would be to take a page out of sega's book.
>>
>>388691523
Portability isn't a gimmick, it's been around for decades
>>
>>388691608
the switch is like 19 other gimmicks, though
>>
>>388690453
there are no non-gimmick consoles
>>
>>388691574
Sega makes shit software
>>
>>388691678
it isn't, it's extremely simple and to the point

it can be used as a portable or home device, the detachable controllers are for local mutiplayer and very useful

you just sound like a boring bitter autist
>>
>>388691690
sega also makes good software. what is your point?
>>
>>388691523
> Why can't they understand that?

because while they say they aren't competing with Sony and Microsoft, they are. They're also competing with tablets and mobile.

7 year olds in the 80s were playing with NES game systems.

7 year olds today play Merge Dragons and Angry Birds, Five Nights at Freddys, and Minecraft on their tablets.
>>
>>388691821
it has 2 mini controllers that detach and suck for everything. it's portable and NOT portable. it has a dock for your tv. it requires a goddamn phone for voice chat. it won't fit in your pocket; in fact it'll only fit up the asshole of those whose bodies are ready for it, such as yourself
>>
I think they realize that PC will always top consoles forever now, so they only way they can compete with that at all is having gimmicks.
>>
>>388691821
No it is definitely a gimmick. Having the "console" be portable sacrificed it's home console performance. It's a gimmick that ultimately made the console worse.
>>
>>388691928
so how is any of this a gimmick?
>>
>>388691574
>best situation for them would be to take a page out of sega's book.
Why when they were only in the red briefly during the Wii U's lifespan and it managed to go back into the green despite being in 3rd place?

SEGA dropped out because of a long series of fuck ups. Nintendo has stumbled for sure, even failed, but I wouldn't say theyve fucked themselves as much as SEGA did. Not even close.
>>
>>388690453
>I think it's arguable that GameCube was it's last true console, no bullshit like Wii, or Wii U, etc.

The GameCube was also worse than the Wii, Wii U, etc.
>>
>>388690453
A gimmick to you is anything you don't like.
>>
>>388692060
not him but i'd say that "ability to shove up fanboys' asses" is a gimmick of sorts
>>
>>388692052
of it sacrifices some performance, that doesn't make it a gimmick

go look in a dictionary, learn what words mean before you use them
>>
The Switch is the least gimmicky console Nintendo has made since the Gamecube.

What you mean by "Real nintendo console" really just means underpowered PC with some exclusive software.
>>
>>388690453
>ds
>not a gimmick
it worked for them but that doesn't make it not a gimmick console
>>
>>388691821
But imagine what the Switch (or NX) would have, could have, should have been if it was just a regular console.

No detachable controllers, no wizardry needed to use voice chat through a fucking phone, no really tiny tablet screen, no docking port, etc. Just imagine if the whole console was the size of the docking port but was stuffed with better hardware?

The controller could be the same, it could work. The two smaller detachables to be used for two player stuff or to just be held in each hand if the player didn't want to use the controller dock.

Why did it need all that other bullshit? This is coming from a guy who likes Switch, I think it's cool, but why couldn't it have been JUST a console?
>>
File: 1461046842997.jpg (34KB, 479x317px) Image search: [Google]
1461046842997.jpg
34KB, 479x317px
>>388692095
>>
>>388691851
>7 year olds today play Merge Dragons and Angry Birds, Five Nights at Freddys, and Minecraft on their tablets.

that is so depressing. I feel sorry for these kids.
>>
>>388692337
and they feel sorry for you
>>
>>388692325
same senpai

mine never really leaves the dock. What was the fucking point? To bring it to bed? Fuck that.
>>
>>388690453

At some point in the near future the Sony/Microsoft console model is going to become untenable. It will be significantly cheaper to build a gaming PC than it will be to buy a PS5 or an XBox Sigma or whatever.

Nintendo is pretty smart in distinguishing its hardware as a different product with different aims while still doing what's necessary to maintain their core base who--let's face it--will continue to support Nintendo for as long as Nintendo makes Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon games. People gravitate towards "gadgets" and will start to see high-powered consoles as less attractive. Exclusives will not be enough to maintain this model forever.
>>
>>388692325
It wouldn't make much difference, Nintendo knows how to get what they want from their hardware

as for third party they wouldn't support it if it had better hardware, they'll support if it sells

also I like portability
>>
>>388692337
>>388692436
tablet games seriously suck and are designed to get kids addicted with the least gameplay possible

but hey whatever its all in good fun right
>>
>>388692530
>At some point in the near future the Sony/Microsoft console model is going to become untenable.
Said the increasingly nervous man
>>
>>388692593

I don't own a Switch, and I have no stock in this. It's just my observation.
>>
>>388692531
>they'll support if it sells
This. I say this every thread but it usually gets ignored. The consoles with the densest libraries are also the consoles that sold the most. Big surprise. The highest selling consoles also have LOADS of shovelware.

>Wii, PS2, DS Gameboy, and PS1
These five are what I remember to be the top five selling game consoles. All five have some great games, legendary classics made by 1st and 3rd parties alike, but 3rd parties SWARMED these consoles without much regard to their power and no one can deny this.
>>
>>388690453
No, there's no reason for Nintendo to make a bland product when they specialize in unique products.
>>
nintendo needs to merge the waggle with handheld gaming
>>
>>388691574
Sega doesn't make anywhere near the money Nintendo does and Sega was in big financial trouble a few years ago.
>>
>>388692896
how many other wiius can nintendo afford before they get to be like that, too?
>>
>>388692530
Microsoft and Nintendo are done with home consoles. Xbox is now a Pre-built PC that will only get iterations and the Switch is a handheld that will get stronger models. Microsoft is chasing the PC market and Nintendo is chasing the Mobile market because both are more profitable than the Console market. Sony is the only one making a home console and still doing generations.
>>
>>388693073
A lot of them and the Switch is doing very well, they made a crap ton of money has quarter and they're stock price is 3x times higher than it was just 3 years ago.
They aren't going anywhere.
>>
No. They only make tablets now.
>>
I want Xbox and Playstation to make rival gimmick consoles

It's a market of 'who can engineer the most fun gimmick', leading to some horrible failure (Microsoft would be dead if they made an all Kinect console) and some smaller companies with weird ideas to take a stab at the market

This would leave PC as the 'standard console' with a basic OS for buying and playing games (like what Steam tried a couple years ago)
Nintendo would probably reign console king then but any company with a clever enough idea would be a challenger to the throne

I also want VR to be it's own market at that point, and for the Mobile market to have either been absorbed into a console or faded from popularity
>>
File: 1503720370251.png (804KB, 604x1112px) Image search: [Google]
1503720370251.png
804KB, 604x1112px
>>388690453
>Do you think Nintendo will ever actually make a non-gimmick console again?

They have consistently been able to post profits year after fucking year, except that year where they built 2 new headquarters, so why they fuck would they change what they are doing when it consistently keeps making enough dosh to satisfy their nip jew asses?

Also Nintendo is quite unlike the other 2 console manufactures. Nintendo is not a conglomerate with a shit ton of subsidiaries which they can use to do shit for them like online infrastructure for instance. Nintendo is technically just the only actual video company making consoles or to be more exact they are still just a toy company with many of the ideals that come from running such a company. Just look at other toy companys like the people who make nerf guns or super soakers and how stupidly elaborate and dumb some of those tings have become over the years with how gimmicky they can be. Nintendo still being mostly a toy company works differently that they other 2 tech conglomerates with video game divisions in them especially when it comes to decision making.

So naw nintendo will keep on trying making gimmicky shit even if the console catches on but the gimmick does not since they are still toy makers really and video games are just that. Toys. So for better or for worse and even if it becomes something you do or don't like Nintendo will keep on doing what they doing cause at the very least it has continually proven to be profitable for them.
>>
They may as well go third party if they ever give up on gimmicks. That's the only thing that sets their consoles apart and give them a reason to exist.

For what it's worth, I'd be completely fine with Nintendo going third party. Barely anyone I know still plays Nintendo games because they have no interest buying a system just for them.
>>
File: welp.png (124KB, 640x768px) Image search: [Google]
welp.png
124KB, 640x768px
>>388693073
Nintendo is gonna be fine, anon. They still managed to turn the wii u into a meager positive in the end. They do not consider the product a virtual boy or anything of the sort. It lost the race, but there is more to this shit than that.
>>
>>388693464
Not to mention, they don't just make money off games and consoles anymore.
They have licensing stuff now with things like the Universal Park which is gonna net them a crap ton of money, they license out characters for merchandise such as toys and posters and clothing now
The smartphone stuff is getting them money

They aren't going 3rd party anytime soon. People who like to make the Sega comparison have no idea the shit Sega was in. The 32X and CD bombed, the Saturn bombed, the US division and the Japanese division were fighting each other constantly and they were losing a shit ton of money.
>>
>>388693464
the biggest problem was their reputation, Nintendo was getting shit on by everyone through the Wii U saga and their image was damaged, a big part of the Switch was putting their name back out there
>>
>>388690453

No, they're fucking terrified of Sony and Microsoft. This is why the last few gens they have literally ran away with their tail between their legs in fear of competing. They've even gone on record to say "we are not directly competing with other manufacturers anymore". They're literally buttfuck scared.

If Nintendo cant rely on a gimmick, they wont do anything at all. This unfortunately, has become fact in recent years despite the damage control of the cancerous tumor that is the MODERN fanbase. They'll fall back on old hardware and hump it dry until the fans start sending them death threats. This is why they haven't produced their next /ACTUAL REAL/ portable yet despite the 3DS' success.
>>
>>388693707
>Not to mention, they don't just make money off games and consoles anymore
then why bother making them?
>>
>>388694031
>then why bother making them?
Are you seriously asking why a company would want more than just one revenue stream?
Because the consoles and games makes them the money money but, like any company, they want to make more money and open as many revenue streams as they can.
>>
>>388692095
The gamecube sold more than the WiiU, and you have to hold that. People are tired of the weak platform+gimmick meme.
>>
>>388694141
no, I misunderstood you. Thought you were saying that they didn't make any money off consoles and games anymore.

Honestly it feels believable. I mean, other people in the thread mentioned it too but kids these days don't really give a fuck about Nintendo from what I can tell.
>>
>>388690453
>Gamecube
>Not gimmicky

Our console must be a cube and portable! Also let's use mini discs because why the fuck not?!
>>
>>388693073
The only way the comparison to Sega holds up is if the Game Gear was still popular and any losses from the Dreamcast were recouped by selling Sonic, Miku, and Selvaria figurines.
>>
>>388694317
>kids these days don't really give a fuck about Nintendo from what I can tell.
They aren't the only people in the world.
>>
Yeah. Nintendo should just stop making interesting new consoles and just make the same boring black box that everyone else is making.

A """real""" new Nintendo console would probably have the same issues as any other gimmicky one.

The Switch is now out. It's doing fine. And it's got a fun concept to boot. There's more people talking about it than the Xbone.

Does it have its problems? Yeah. I wish the thing was more powerful (or maybe even had a dock with some guts in it to help give it more power). I wish voice chat and online worked at least somewhat decently. But hey, I can play my new Ninty and Indies on the go and its pretty good at doing that.
>>
>>388694427
>implying the cube shape wasn't genius
>implying that the handle on the back wasn't genius, you can actually for the first time easily use easily your game console as a blunt force weaponized object
>implying that mini-dvds weren't a rational course of action for a company that paid attention to the piracy problem for the Dreamcast

If you want to talk gimmicky shit for the gamecube, why not talk about how they were shoving GBA connectivity into everything and now they don't really do that with their handhelds?
>>
>>388694481
According to the sales though, they're most of them. That's not somethin that can be refuted.
>>
NGC use optical disc anon
Your video games life end @ Super Nintendo
Deal with it
>>
File: 20170428_023908_thumb.jpg (31KB, 554x311px) Image search: [Google]
20170428_023908_thumb.jpg
31KB, 554x311px
>>388694649
>According to the sales though, they're most of them
No, it isn't.
>>
>>388694773
>25-34

All these people grew up with NES, SNES, and N64s didn't they
>>
>>388694582
>PS1, PS2, DS pirated to hell and back
>All of those consoles raped the GameCube in sales.

That was a fucking bad decision that hurt the system and fucked third parties sideways, again.
>>
>>388694887
>That was a fucking bad decision that hurt the system and fucked third parties sideways, again.
I don't disagree with you, but you have to admit it was a rational decision. They wouldn't know how it'd turn out unless they tried.
>>
>>388694481
A lot of kids will move onto Nintendo when they get older, particularly ones who get interested in retro gaming, I know several myself

Nintendo is expanding as a business btw, they are going to produce animated films based on their franchises and along with the toys and theme park interests it looks like they are trying to become the Disney of video games
>>
>>388694773
>tiny demographic of users

Switch doesn't have numbers yet that you can pull and call relevant compared to their competitors.
>>
File: Kimishima on Nintendo's future.png (81KB, 650x1150px) Image search: [Google]
Kimishima on Nintendo's future.png
81KB, 650x1150px
>>388690453
To do things that nobody else is doing is the most important thing for Nintendo. Giving up on that would be giving up on Nintendo.
>>
File: 1503697696591.png (231KB, 734x1110px) Image search: [Google]
1503697696591.png
231KB, 734x1110px
>>388694773
>Purchaser
I'm surprised any children made it on here at all given that they're seldom financially dependent.
>>
>>388695092
>tfw I've already gotten asked by my nephew to tell him about the days of Gen 1 and 2 pokemon

His facial expressions during the story man. So great. Traded him a pretty good Zapdos after that.
>>
>>388690453
>gimmick
Nice reddit buzzword, newfag.
>>
>>388695007
>Guys the PS1 raped us because 3rd parties had storage issues and PS2 is selling like hotcakes it doubles as a DVD player!
>Let's use mini DVDs

Thoughtful and rational decision.
>>
>>388694847
NES is over 30 years old so no not really

the SNES and 64 yeah
>>
>>388695185
*independent
>>
File: 1485454133999.gif (2MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1485454133999.gif
2MB, 512x288px
Nope. Just more gimmick-ridden, overpriced, and underpowered handhelds from here on out.
>>
>>388690453
GCN had that stupid handle and mini discs. it was gimmicky as hell.
>>
>>388695272
34 here, got my NES Xmas '88.
>>
>>388695272
My first console was 49.99 NES 2. Maybe I'm just an outlier.

>>388695256
You're sort of missing the point and you know it, anon. They were exploring ways to prevent piracy and it seemed like the best option. And to be fair, the gamecube was pirated less. You even admitted this.

Are you just being argumentative for the sake of it?
>>
>>388695346
You realize you're more than likely speaking to 13 year olds right? God knows i was 13 when I first got here.
>>
>>388690453
All Nintendo consoles had gimmicks.

>NES
ROB the Robot

>SNES
Mode 7 and PCM audio

>N64
Cartridges, analog stick and 'stable' 3D

>GameCube
Mini-DVDs, carrying handle, GBA connectivity

>Wii
Motion controls

>Wii U
Tablet controller

>Switch
Dockable portability
>>
>>388695447
>25 years old
>first showed up here in 2005

holy fuck anon...have I always been mostly talking to 13 year olds, even when I was 13?
>>
>>388695538
Modes 7, PCM Audio, Cartridges, Analog Sticks, 3D and Mini-DVDs weren't gimmicks.
>>
File: 1499121006952.jpg (44KB, 732x731px) Image search: [Google]
1499121006952.jpg
44KB, 732x731px
Yeah Nintendo should make the same thing that everyone does
A cheap knock off wanna be pc
>>
File: 1463818362337.gif (4MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1463818362337.gif
4MB, 320x320px
>>388695538
>Analog stick is a gimmick
>>
>>388695758
Xbox technically is a pc, Sony is a wannabe PC. but since Microsoft has the PC market and Nintendo has the Mobile market, Sony will eventually go bankrupt and die.
>>
>>388695428
I understand the reasoning behind it but what good it did if they made the same fucking mistakes again?

Another generation were 3rd parties had a hard time porting shit because of a lower DVD size unless you decided to use 2 discs and increase the manufacturing cost because IIRC a mini DVD was expensive than a regular ass DVD
>>
>>388693073
Nintendo used to be able to sustain a 1 billion yen loss per year for 50 years. The WiiU dropped that to like 12 years.
>>
File: slide-4.jpg (109KB, 1111x652px) Image search: [Google]
slide-4.jpg
109KB, 1111x652px
>>388694773
It is to be expected that results for "the person in your household with the strongest desire to purchase Nintendo Switch" would be like that only a month from launch. The same survey also reported that 72% were used by more than one person within the household, so they are likely reaching demographics outside of the ones most prominent in the survey.
>>
>>388690453
Honestly?
A successor to the Switch that may or may not still be compatible with the dock for TV play. I mean actual successor, not just a hardware revision like the New 3DS was to the 3DS.

Nintendo is the only hardware manufacturer right now that their ONLY business is vidya, sadly they don't have a place between the 2 multimedia giants Sony and Microsoft. All they can do is keep focusing on handheld consoles that have the convenience of plugging to your TV.
>>
>>388695971
People that try to draw the world's longest bow by comparing the decision to go with mini-discs on GameCube vs cartridges on N64 are the stupidest motherfuckers in the world.

A single N64 cartridge cost $10 to manufacture. A single mini-DVD cost 20c to print. A regular DVD was like 10c. Holy fuck if we print 2 of them we'll lose 30c compared to a regular DVD. That's totally comparable to the N64 where we'll lose $10 per game!
>>
>>388695885
Since you cant personalice it i wouldnt count it has a Pc,i mean its pretty reliable but still doesnt fill the place of a pc
If anything Sony is more gimmik,the gimmik of being more potent than the rest...and fail everytime
>>
>>388695971
I don't know why you're so sympathetic when it comes to 3rd parties man. I mean, these companies cried about how hard the PS2 and PS3 were to develop for. You're aware of this right? They still did it anyway, especially for the PS2 because it is the best selling game console of all time and they wanted that install base badly. They put up with their gripes to develop games for a glorified DVD player. That's why most people bought the fucking thing.
>>
File: sold separately.png (1MB, 1146x784px) Image search: [Google]
sold separately.png
1MB, 1146x784px
>>388695538
>All Nintendo consoles had gimmicks.
Nope, only the ones without traditional controllers.
>>
>>388695885
Sadly, Sony has an incredible ammount of brand loyalty, moreso than Nintendo at this point. It won't die. You see PLAY STATION ads in soccer fields, you see all european and latinamerican normalfags playing FIFA on those things, and to Japan only PlayStation exist. They hate the Xbox and they don't like PC gaming because to them "a PC is a working tool, not a toy".

I don't see Sony's gaming division dying any time soon.
>>
No, they won't. The current competitors are way too big for Nintendo to compete with in pure specs. They have a lot of money, but they're still not as big as Microsoft and Sony, so their only option is to compromise, and offer something different, rather than trying to outdo them in power. They tried that with Gamecube, and couldn't keep up. And no, it wasn't purely mini-discs and the controller that hindered them. Sony just had better relations with third parties, more money, more influence. That's why the Wii was created, they were backed into a corner, they had no choice. Fuck look at handhelds, weak as shit but sell like hotcakes. That's because they have a practical use to them. Nintendo simply can't go back.

Trust me, I wish they could. I want them so badly to be able to make a powerful console, but it's unfeasible. Unless Sony and Microsoft magically leave the console market and get replaced by smaller companies like Sega, things will remain this way forever.
>>
File: Nintendrone Suffering.jpg (442KB, 1024x972px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendrone Suffering.jpg
442KB, 1024x972px
>>388695538
>Mode 7 and PCM audio
>analog stick and 'stable' 3D
>Portability
Those are features, not gimmicks, unlike the motion controls or the tablet controller.

>ROB the Robot
Trojan Horse to enter and revive the absolutely dead market that the American console market after the crash.
>>
>>388696650
>Sadly, Sony has an incredible ammount of brand loyalty, moreso than Nintendo at this point.
Why is that sad? It's just the natural progression of the hobby. Nintendo fans are ageing out of relevance and the current core audience for games was introduced when PSX and PS2 were the top systems.
>>
>>388696906
>>388695538
what is the difference between a feature and a gimmick?
>>
File: 1462375391068.gif (51KB, 192x224px) Image search: [Google]
1462375391068.gif
51KB, 192x224px
>>388695758
>fans use Nintendo's "innovations" as excuses for weak hardware and gimmicks
>fans insist Nintendo's paid online and amiibo are fine since "everybody else is doing it!"
>>
>>388696949
trust me I am a European and you do not want the main demographic of "gamers" to be the retards that just buy fifa/cod on their playstation every year and call it a day, they're worse than Nintendo fans, Xbox fans, even gamer girls
>>
>>388696779
Nintendo could compete on specs if they really wanted to, they just don't want to.

Remember that the N64's graphic chip was literally the world's most powerful consumer level chip at release and (theoretically) even more powerful than the 3dfx Voodoo, the best PC GPU released 6 months after it (though held back by the rest of the console).

GameCube would have had the world's best graphics chip too if they released it on time in 2000 and at the original 200mhz instead of delaying it for a year and downgrading to 162mhz.
>>
>>388696949
Because Sony is starting to stagnate too.

>>388696967
A feature actually contributes to the hardware or software in a relevant manner.
For example, Mode 7 allowed for pretty neat stages in Super Castlevania IV and the entirety of F-Zero and Super Mario Kart.
PCM allowed for the memorable soundtracks of FFVI and DKC.
>>
>>388696967
Features are genuine advances that are imitated by competitors and/or carried forward into future products. Gimmicks are one shot deals that exist to gain attention.

P.S. analog is not a feature of the N64 because they didn't invent it, they just reintroduced it after making the D-pad standard for ~15 years.
>>
File: 1502563631913.jpg (136KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1502563631913.jpg
136KB, 640x426px
>>388692337
Meanwhile, most PC gamers and other serious gamers feel sorry seeing Nintenkiddies creaming their pants and losing their mind over BOTW, ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Rabbids Battle Kingdom on an overpriced, underpowered, gimmicky waggle tablet.
>>
>>388697203
Nintendo fans are literally the "If I haven't seen it it's new to me!" guys of the video game world.
>>
>>388697020
No no you are right
I mean whats the point of triying something new and different when you can make your consoles exactly the same
I bet the new Ps5 deluxe max no scope 420 blaze will be .00005 more powerful than ps5
>>
>>388697184
>analog is not a feature of the N64 because they didn't invent it
They made it a functional, more intuitive thumbstick as opposed to a massive dildo joystick though.
>>
>>388697203
I am a PC gamer and enjoy my Switch, I like it's portability and focus on genres the PC doesn't have much of
>>
>>388690819
Gimmick all the way. Even if it's trash we've lost nothing cause Nintendo will just try again next time. If it's a good gimmick then other consoles will rip it off. Also I don't think there will be another Xbox after the Xbox One X
>>
I just want Nintendo to make a nice home console that doesn't have the graphics of my cellphone. Is that too much to ask for? They have lots of exclusives so they don't have to worry about it becoming a turd like the Xbone.
>>
>>388697324
>I am a PC gamer and enjoy my Switch, I like it's portability and focus on genres the PC doesn't have much of
But the PC has more shit indies and retro throwbacks than any other platform?
>>
>>388697137
>For example, Mode 7 allowed for pretty neat stages in Super Castlevania IV and the entirety of F-Zero and Super Mario Kart.
Well you can't play Wii Sports without waggle. But I guess that doesn't count since you don't like that game right?
>>
>>388690453
The 4K NX Stationary Box does't need to exist. The people who played breath of the wild were just DYING to get their hands on Mass Effect sfm porno edition
>>
>>388691523
Surely the switch is the box on your telly you want for games though? It's entirely useable as a portable console
>>
test
>>
>>388697364
Yeah Microsoft is practically throwing in the towel.

They seriously have not tried to provide first party exclusives that aren't Halo Forza Gears in what feels like years.

Rare Replay doesn't really fucking count, as cool as it is.
>>
File: 1311865804704.jpg (6KB, 251x188px) Image search: [Google]
1311865804704.jpg
6KB, 251x188px
>>388697281
I'd like to see Nintendo finally catch up with everyone else, at least.
>>
>>388697125

I suppose they could, they have the money. It's just a matter of competing with Sony and Microsoft. They would have to spend an awful lot of money to outdo them, and then there's the issue of selling the hardware. If they fail to sell a shitton of units, that's just money down the drain. It's risky business.

My fear, and probably Nintendo's too, is consumers saying "I already have my PlayStation, I don't need Nintendo because they're doing the exact same thing". It's perhaps the greatest obstacle of theirs. Though, if they succeeded, the payoff would be amazing, it might even win back the loyalty of consumers.
>>
>>388690453
There is no fucking point. Nintendo would probably go third party at that point because "non-gimmick consoles" have no future. These gimmicks will allow them to keep on competing with pc and mobile.
>>
File: wha3.png (602KB, 963x720px) Image search: [Google]
wha3.png
602KB, 963x720px
>>388697449
>Well you can't play Wii Sports without waggle
It's not that it counts, but you must admit that while waggle was well-implemented on Wii Sports, other shovelware on Wii did it very poorly, just because of the gimmick while no other company tried mode 7 unless it was relevant somehow.
>>
>>388690904
Would unironically buy day 1
>>
>>388690453
The only thing Nintendo upgrading would do is possibly stop me from buying an Xbox or Playstation. As is I already buy both Nintendo and whichever over the other two currently interests me more. Nintendos already got my sale
>>
>>388697437
This. Nintendo could win any generation if they actually had the stones to compete with Sony and Microsoft because they have the best first party IP stable. They're just too afraid of the new revenue model (sell hardware at a loss, make money from certification of third party games and sales through your ecosystem) to do it.
>>
>>388696949

Well, sad for though of us in the old guard. It's sort of like seeing your favorite smokes go away. I suppose you could just buy Newports or whatever, but it's never the same.
>>
>>388697437
Other than the tablet controler, when the Wii U came out, it was above the PS3 and 360 (not as much the PS4, but still above those) and tried to bend over to all "hardcore" developers they could and announced proper free online.
And people still shat on them.
>>
>>388692445
Multiplayer is one of the best things about the console though. Portable multiplayer. Just this weekend I was able to hand four controllers out and play Mario Kart and Overcooked and have a great time. Before that I'd take the console to the gf's and fuck her at PuyoPuyo Tetris.
>>
>>388697624

Didn't they briefly sell at a loss with Wii U? Or am I remembering wrong?
>>
>>388697545
>implying nintendo wants to catch up with PC's with less functionalities
>>
I honestly want nintendo to keep doing gimmicks.
>>
>>388697646
>It's sort of like seeing your favorite smokes go away.
They won't understand that analogy. nu-males don't smoke.
>>
>>388697704

Same, used my Switch for local multiplayer. Me and my buddies went to some retro video game store to participate in tourneys. One of my friends was driving, while the two of us were playing Puyo Tetris. Shit was great.
>>
>>388697705
Yep, they did.
>>
File: 1493150018692.jpg (146KB, 903x713px) Image search: [Google]
1493150018692.jpg
146KB, 903x713px
>>388690453
I hope not. Despite what a majority seems to say I enjoy there gimmicks. There Gimmick are what always make there console interesting to me.
The Wii U and Switch are probably my favorite gimmicks from them because of the whole Off TV play/second screen.

If the gamecube could have had those features when I was a kid I could have the most comfy saturday mornings ever.
>>
>>388697537
Rare Replay was the best thing on that console. That and sunset overdrive are the only things I like on the system, everything else is better elsewhere, delayed or cancelled. Xbone is done and I think they'll try mosey into PC gaming
>>
>>388697594
>no other company tried mode 7 unless it was relevant somehow.
You haven't played many SNES games have you?
>>
>>388697686
Wii U's performance was actually between 360 and PS3.

>>388697705
They lost money on it overall for quite a while because of the R&D costs, I mean selling below manufacturing and distribution cost. Nintendo has NEVER sold a product at a loss, which is why they can escape financial ruin after a WiiU or Gamecube.
>>
if you want a normal home console just get a PS4 or Xbone

I don't understand why people want Nintendo to offer the exact same product as them, it just makes gaming even more boring I like variety
>>
File: 1305063676189.png (274KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1305063676189.png
274KB, 640x480px
>>388697624
This. Had the Wii U been on par with the PS4 and Bone, this thread wouldn't exist.
>>
>>388692325
>But imagine what the Switch (or NX) would have, could have, should have been if it was just a regular console.
>Japs don't give a fuck because it's not a portable
>The normies that bought the Switch wouldn't have bought into its normie portable marketing
>You find something else to complain about it rather than this
>Nintendo's loyal fans buy it but it never really goes anywhere
>Switch fails miserably with no support
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 299x169px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 299x169px
>>388697782

>Not smoking a good cigar

They don't know how amazing it is.
>>
>>388697901
I only owned the essentials, really. I couldn't afford many games as a kid, so owned Nintendo first party, Capcom games, Konami's beat em ups + Castlevania and FFVI(III)
>>
>>388690453

I think they won't be doing dedicated home consoles anymore. They'll continue off from the switch's modular design and keep making hybrids.

A PS5 with a nintendo brand wouldn't sell good, imo.
>>
>>388697686
Wii U came out 6 years after the PS3 and 360. Why would people want to shell out money for a console that has (only in some cases) slightly better graphics and more exclusives when everyone knew that gen 8 was around the corner and that both the Xbox/PS4 would have better graphics and more 3rd party games? All around bad timing for the release of the WiiU.
>>
File: 1493404603155.png (491KB, 891x712px) Image search: [Google]
1493404603155.png
491KB, 891x712px
>>388690453
No, I don't ever think they will.
There's too much money in using gimmicks to get children to buy stupid shit.
See: Splatoon 2

I know they won't ever release a "real" console ever again, and even if they did I have a hacked 3ds to bide me over. For some reason, if they ever decided to bring back gamecube games, I would have a slight interest if I didn't have a decent collection already

>>388697704
Portable multiplayer is great, nothing wrong with that. But it simply won't beat halo lan parties or warcraft 3 multiplayer. If they ever got something like quake on the switch for multiplayer I would get one in an instant.
>>
>>388697868
Rare has been making nonstop flops that damages their image since 2005. Microsoft probably doesn't sell them because they forgot they fucking owned them. Theyve been making this fucking pirate game for like what 7 years now. Xbox is the opposite of nintendo they could not care less about exclusives.
>>
File: 1493153938395.png (239KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
1493153938395.png
239KB, 410x410px
>>388697545
But catch up with WHAT exactly?
Power?
graphics?
3rd parties?
The end game for that is Pc,not fucking around you would need to be a fucking monster to do that and the machine would be pretty expensive
What everyone seems to forget what Nintendo does better than anyone else is gameplay
I dont care if the next console makes me play with my fucking feet meanwhile its fun
>>
>>388697868
>Xbone is done and I think they'll try mosey into PC gaming
That's what the crossbuy with Xbone and Windows 10 is all about man, they're transitioning to PC as a gaming platform. Expect Xbox branded prebuilt PCs in the vein of Steam boxes to exist, only not a shitshow developed by incompetents.
>>
>>388697914
Wii U was definitely sold at a loss. 3DS was, too, after the big early price drop. Switch's selling price is set at just enough to avoid a loss.
>>
File: GBABoktaiCoffin.jpg (29KB, 593x444px) Image search: [Google]
GBABoktaiCoffin.jpg
29KB, 593x444px
>>388692325
>no really tiny tablet screen
You think that shit is tiny? One of the most common criticisms is that the screen is too big to have in your pocket.

Fuck, did you even play with a Game Boy? THOSE had tiny screens
>>
>>388697624
>best first party IP stable
I'd agree with you a couple years ago, before they ruined almost all of them.
Fuck anyone that defends smash 4.
>>
>>388697914
>Wii U's performance was actually between 360 and PS3.
No, it was about 50% more powerful than both. 360 and PS3 had an extremely similar level of performance. Crytek said they ran simulations on both to work out their peak "real world" power and was taken aback that their both turned in similar overall results. They really were the HD Twins.

But yes, Wii U was that bit more powerful than them.
>>
>>388698048
Portable Smash and MK8 >>>>>>>> Halo Lan parties
>>
I bet before this gen finishes we'll see a PS4Portable.
>>
>>388698012
>Why would people want to shell out money for a console that has slightly better graphics and more exclusives when everyone knew that gen 8 was around the corner
But gen 8 is just that, "slightly better graphics", it wasn't the generational jump gen 4 to 5, to 6 to 7 used to have.
>>
>>388698165
it's better than brawl

anyway stop being so dramatic, none of Nintendo's IPs have been ruined beyond redemption
>>
File: umoblvw75qqow0pcgndc.jpg (27KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
umoblvw75qqow0pcgndc.jpg
27KB, 620x470px
>>388697854

So long as the gimmicks are something that are practical, and improve the experience, I'm fine with them. What I'm not fine with, is having to use motion controls for trials like this one in BOTW.

Anything that's forced on you, gets in the way, and possibly hinders your experience, should be abandoned. No more puzzles like this, no more motion control challenges like in Wonderful 101. Literally no one asked for this.
>>
>>388698182
I got sick of smash and haven't touched a mario kart game since 2012.
I just don't see the appeal in either one anymore. Fuck I can't even watch the smash tournaments without falling asleep
>>
>>388698178
The wii u had a supior GPU but it literally had the CPU of a 1998 Mac. Nintendo's my fav company but don't smell their shit and say it smells good.
>>
File: WiiU_StarFoxZero_case_R.jpg (849KB, 1200x1715px) Image search: [Google]
WiiU_StarFoxZero_case_R.jpg
849KB, 1200x1715px
>>388698325
>none of Nintendo's IPs have been ruined beyond redemption
>>
>>388698197

Sony does what Ninten-do. You can guarantee they'll release their own "Not Switch" console once this thing hits like, 40 million sales.
>>
>>388698374
it's not my fault you have shit taste
>>
>>388698126
Huh, I didn't know that. I guess it's like Reggie's quote in the article, they return to profit as soon as somebody buys a piece of their software with it, and nobody is buying Nintendo platforms for third party games in this century.

>>388698342
>Literally no one asked for this.
Riterarry mandated by Nintendo in W101.

>>388698374
Congratulations, you grew up.
>>
>>388698397
That IP was already dead drama queen, and it's been confirmed Pikmin and Star Fox for Switch are going to happen.

Was Zelda ruined because of Majora's Mask's stupid timer? Fuck no.
>>
>>388690453
The switch is doing well, and it satisfies both consumers that want a home console and those that want a portable one, as well as those that want both.

Every nintendo system from now on is probably going to be both tv compatible and portable, as well as having gyro input.
I'm talking about these things being standard on their future systems, what their gimmicks will be I couldn't even guess.
>>
>>388698397
that game isn't nearly bad enough to kill Star Fox, it will get more games
>>
File: 1503552390219.jpg (595KB, 1254x1981px) Image search: [Google]
1503552390219.jpg
595KB, 1254x1981px
>>388698325
Every ruined IP has it's silver lining. After star fox zero, color splash, federation force, #FE and other atrocities, I'm glad I can finally move on and enjoy their older games I never got to play.

They might have fucked a large portion of their IP's (don't deny it) but there was some great third party shit and spinoffs on the 3ds.
I can only hope the same for the switch.
>>
>>388698463
>Was Zelda ruined by the best Zelda game at the time of its release?
How does this compare to a 100% rehashed game with atrocious controls again?
>>
>>388690453
Tell me what Switch's gimmick is without using thewords "handheld" or "Portable".
>>
I think as long as Japanese developers decide to do stuff on the switch, especially stuff that would be too riskier in the other 2, more expensive consoles, it should be fine
>>
Who wants to play the steaming pile of shit Mass Effect Andromeda on the NX. Bitch looks like a source film maker porn model. Anyone? Good now shut the fuck up.
>>
File: 1448192648429.jpg (8KB, 272x252px) Image search: [Google]
1448192648429.jpg
8KB, 272x252px
>>388698165
>Fuck anyone that defends smash 4
look man, I'm as big a meleefag as they come but Smash 4 is much better than Brawl and frankly...I mean seriously anon I was one of those Nsider fags that made character write ups for hopeful newcomers. I made one for Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Cloud.

All four are now in Smash Bros. You cannot tell me that this is not cool. You cannot tell me that the game isn't better than Brawl. You can't tell me that Smash is "beyond redemption", especially when Melee and 64 are still perfectly playable and great fun the way they are.

I refuse to defend Brawl though. Fuck that piece of trash.
>>
>>388698556
Majora's Mask was an asset rehash done in less than a year with an attrocious timer deadline in-game.
>>
>>388698237
>But gen 8 is just that, "slightly better graphics"
And all the 3rd party support that comes with running more taxing games. Plus most people actually care/expect graphical updates in vidya despite what some people on /v/ think.

>it wasn't the generational jump gen 4 to 5, to 6 to 7 used to have.
It's still a better jump than no progress at all, and the sale of ps4's speaks for itself. Put yourself in the shoes of an average dudebro casual gamer. Why the fuck would I buy a WiiU when I know it looks exactly like gen 7, without all the FIFA/CoD shit, but just for the occasional Mario and Zelda?

The Switch is the same fucking problem. Had it come out 4 years ago when people were hungry for a new console but knew it sounded better than gen 7, it would definitely been more popular.
>>
>>388698556
majoras mask was the worst zelda game at release
>>
>>388698564
Detachable controllers.
Tablet functionality.
Scratched screen.

>>388698581
What is riskier about releasing your game on a more supported platform?
>>
>>388698631
Ive played both 4 and Brawl this year a lot and smash 4 is better but brawl wasnt painful to play as when I played marth or falcon. Id rather play brawl then play against cloud and bayonetta. Worst content in any nintendo game ever made
>>
>>388698426
>that roster
>re-selling characters from previous games
>playing online is a fucking chore through nintendo's services

I'll let you have that one, Anon.
>>388698528
No, no it fucking won't.
Watch it get a Metroid: Other M tier garbage sequel. Hopefully it gets killed for good.
>>
>>388698697
That your game wont sell because its not FIFA or Call of Duty
>>
>>388698165

>Ruined almost all of them

Kirby and Donkey Kong are fine. Kid Icarus was revived and better than ever. Mario's doing fine. Metroid looks like it's getting redemption.

I mean, aside from Paper Mario, all the rest of the Mario IPs are doing great.
>>
>>388698551
>They might have fucked a large portion of their IP's (don't deny it)
they haven't, the last Fire Emblem was good (no I don't care how much you whine and complain, it was both a huge critical and commercial success)

Federation Force was just some shitty spin off, Metroid Prime 4 is in development

Paper Mario and Star Fox are their only IPs that are "ruined" (as in, their last game was not very good but could easily be fixed with a new game)
>>
>>388698697
>controllers that are literally just better are a "gimmick"
>le tablet maymay
>scratched screen maymay

oh so you're retarded

also, to those who keep saying nintendo needs to stop making hardware; their payout ratio says otherwise
>>
The Switch is not a gimmick. A handheld you can plug into your TV to play local multi-player is an incredible idea. It also allows them to unify their development studios to put out more games. It's a legit good idea, unlike the Wii U.
>>
>>388698697
Devkits on stronger consoles tend to be expensive-er as well as Sony and Microsoft looking over demanding more polygons and higher quality textures.
This is why smaller games in the 7th generation like the Klonoa Remake, Dewie or Ju-On were releaed on Wii as opposed to the PS3 and 360
>>
>>388698808
And if you release on Nintendo it won't sell because it's not Nintendo.
>>
Nintendo needs third parties because I specifically want to play.......oh wait I forgot this generation is shit.
>>
File: smug AI.png (18KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
smug AI.png
18KB, 192x192px
>>388698787
>Star Fags beg for a game to be JUST like Star Fox 64
>They get it and hate it
>Want the franchise dead
Pure fucking pottery
>>
>>388690453
If the Switch is extremely successful, the follow up will be like the Switch but more powerful. If the Switch ultimately flops or falls behind, Nintendo will attempt a different gimmick.

Nintendo doesn't like playing the tech arms race. They haven't done so in years because they've had better luck with gimmicks like touch screens.
>>
>>388698910
Sanic and virtual console sells fine lol
>>
>>388698910
Dragon Quest seems to differ
and Bayonetta
and Street Fighter
I would keep going but i think i made my point
>>
>>388698787

>Other M

Why does this game always get mentioned? Someone get that comic with the guy saying "this is the next X", I forgot the name of the game.
>>
>>388694427
None of those hindered gameplay. This is what makes the GC a non-gimmick console.
>>
>>388698934
Absolutely. The only great third party games in this entire gen are Persona 5, Nier Automata, and Bloodborne if you count that (produced by a third party studio, but funded by first party).
>>
Someone please check out what the word 'gimmick actually means. It's not synonymous with 'feature'. Also Nintendo isn't out to do what you want, but they try to do what you didn't even know you wanted. That's how it has always been.
>>
>>388698992
That game was designed for cameliens also platinum made that one
>>
>>388698391
>but it literally had the CPU of a 1998 Mac
Please don't fall for this meme. The PowerPC G3 has incredibly good IPC, the only thing that was holding its integer performance back was clock speed. It has atrocious SIMD performance, but the integer performance is still very good.

Why do people still use the 6502 CPU used in the Apple II back in the 70s to this day instead of say a cheap modern Celeron? It's because the 6502 has an interrupt latency that modern CPUs still can't match.

The Wii U's CPU is three (relatively) high clocked G3s with modern amenities like DDR3 attached. The original Wii CPU which was clocked significantly slower had the integer performance equal to 90% single core of the 360's CPU. So what do you think clocking it higher and making it three core would have done?

Yes, the SIMD performance is terrible, but that's what the GPU was built to do.
>>
>>388698631
Smash 4 would be good if the fanbase wasn't rabid as fuck and the online didn't turn matches into slideshows.
I didn't drop it out of frustration. It wasn't the optional moves being locked behind RNG, it wasn't the melee vs smash 4 shitposting, it wasn't the way sakurai responded to the criticism, it wasn't the roster or the salty fanbase online.
It was the servers themselves.
>>
>>388699042

Sonic Mania was good too.
>>
>>388699020
You stopped going because you ran out of successful non-Nintendo games.
>>
>>388699091
Yeah but that's on PC and anyone has a PC that can run that shit so I wouldn't really count it in this kind of discussion. It would be like counting Undertale.
>>
>>388698910
>>388699020
Japanese third party games sell good

the only Western developer that sells good on Nintendo consoles is Ubisoft with stuff like Rayman
>>
>>388699042
If its published by sony that makes it first party or exclusive
>>
File: 1496036577413.jpg (72KB, 500x559px) Image search: [Google]
1496036577413.jpg
72KB, 500x559px
>>388698992
But I'm not a starfag.
No, Anon, I'm more asshurt about the SMT x FE crossover game that turned into weebshit.
>>
>>388699073
I won't defend the motion controls, but you didn't need both screens. You could easily change from first and third person perspective at need by pressing Select.
And in first person view, you'd get symbols that get redder as either an enemy ship or a laser approached you, as well as said symbols appearing from where the shot was coming from.

Also, it's chameleons.
>>
>>388693464
>assumes constant usd-yen conversion rate across all years
>>
>>388699150

Well you said this gen, and it is on consoles. I would count Undertale too, seeing as it's a third party game.
>>
>>388698745
>Ive played both 4 and Brawl this year a lot and smash 4 is better but brawl wasnt painful to play as when I played marth or falcon.
Its funny you say this bro because I'm a Falcon main in Melee and 64, and he was the very first character I picked in Brawl when I got the game home on release night.

I instantly felt sour. I was not happy with how Falcon felt and it doesn't help that he just flat out sucks in Brawl. All his moves felt like ass and then I tripped. My friends and I switched to melee after a few more games on release night.

That is how bad Brawl is.

>I don't like playing against Cloud and Bayonetta.

There are ways around them and neither are more powerful than how powerful Meta Knight was in Brawl, yet you'd rather play Brawl? Shit anon, I don't get you. Even then, just play FFAs or something.
>>
>>388699175
>SMT x FE crossover game that turned into weebshit.
>turned into weebshit
Wait, wait, if you mash weebshit into weebshit it stays weebshit?
>>
What is it with second parties and ruining starfox
>>
File: Smug Callie.png (242KB, 455x570px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Callie.png
242KB, 455x570px
>>388699175
>Turned into weebshit
>Despite FE and SMT/Persona being weebshit since day 1 in leau of being FUCKING JAPANESE GAMES
PO T T E R Y
>>
>>388699021
>why does the first terrible decision in a series of terrible decisions always get mentioned?
Gee, I wonder why.
>>388698832
The last fire emblem?
You mean the remake of 2 or Fates being split into 2 separate titles? Help me out here.
>>388698818
That's why I said almost.
As for mario, I just don't care.
>>
>>388690453
Gamecube was supposed to be portable, just like the Switch. N64 would have been the last "gimmick free" console
>>
>>388699263
I thought Assault was good...
>>
>>388699120
I will agree that Nintendo had very dragonic treatment with third parties and since the failure of the Wii U they learned
2018 will be the year of third parties for the Swich and anyone who likes videogames should be glad competition is back on the table because that means more games and better ones too
>>
Maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't specs and stuff a lot more important on PC than on Console?

Obviously a console needs good power to run games. But why are the specs important to the consumer when all games on the console are MADE to run on the console? On PC there's a lot more variance in power, you need to buy one with the right specs to play the games you want. On a Console, all games made for it will run on it, so what's the problem with Nintendo's systems having less power than others? I can understand just not liking the games and gimmicks, but shouldn't the specs be the least of one's concern?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (306KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
306KB, 1920x1080px
>>388699362

>Why does this game that has nothing to do with all these other franchises always get mentioned

This post I'm replying to is the next Lester the Unlikely.
>>
File: 1496958745398.png (222KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1496958745398.png
222KB, 512x384px
>>388699251
>>388699325
You both know fully well what I'm talking about.
Looks like it's my time to leave, there's no more reasoning, no more counter-points.
Just shitposting.
Like every nintendo thread since 2015
>>
>>388699456
third party AAA games/multiplats are the main reason in that case
>>
>>388698832
>the last Fire Emblem was good
Just Conquest. Had Birthright been the only version, FE would be just as dead as Star Fox (to me, at least).

>it was both a huge critical and commercial success
Sales don't ensure quality. Last I heard, Birthright outsold Conquest. Guess which version the Switch game will likely take cues from.

>could easily be fixed with a new game
Star Fox is a lost cause. This is an IP that changed hands between four different developers over the last twenty years and not one of them could figure out what made the 64 version so good.
>>
File: Donkey-kong-country-diddy-dixie.jpg (27KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey-kong-country-diddy-dixie.jpg
27KB, 280x280px
>>388699410
>anyone who likes videogames should be glad competition is back on the table because that means more games and better ones too
Presicely this.
The fourth generation was a goldmine because the Genesis/MD and the SNES were head-to-head in sales, and competition was strong, trying to constantly upstage each other, Nintendon't and Play It Loud, in the end consumers won and it created a great gaming legacy and great software.
When there's a monopoly, things get borinng.
>>
File: 1500245698125.jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1500245698125.jpg
43KB, 500x375px
@388699512
Try again
Most of Nintendo's first party stuff is shit anyways.
>>
>>388699519
>You both know fully well what I'm talking about.
No, I don't. Since FE came Stateside on the GBA, it's been always been anime weebshit SRPG, with it's weapon janken and anime style.
SMT has always been FIGHT GOD! weebshit RPG, that's admitedly very fun.
>>
>>388699543
While that's true, I'd expect gimmicks to sooner get in the way than power. Isn't that the reason Wii U's third party support was abysmal?
>>
>>388699263

I didn't think Zero was THAT bad, there are parts of it I enjoyed.

That being said, I think Nintendo has forgotten what it means to make a good Star Fox. So they can't really give second parties proper guidance, and they naturally fuck it up. What the hell does Platinum know about making a good Star Fox? Besides that Star Fox level in Bayonetta, they literally do not have experience with a third person space shooter. Fucking Kamiya just played Space Harrier, he didn't make anything like it.

I did like Assault though. I thought Namco did the best job.
>>
File: f78ba068a9a9e1ec39088d3547ed953f.jpg (231KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
f78ba068a9a9e1ec39088d3547ed953f.jpg
231KB, 1024x724px
>>388699519
Bye anon have a good day.
>>
File: 1499203305226.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1499203305226.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>388699512
Bringing up unrelated shit to prove a point does not help you.
God what the fuck is with nintendo threads and mental gymnastics? I swear to god you fucks are worse than any others. The fanbase is full of children, so I'm not too surprised.
>>
>>388699374
N64 is probably the least gimmick console of all time.

You can't call cartridges a gimmick, it's literally the opposite of one. Continuing what everybody did the previous generation is a fucking anti-gimmick. It was CD which was the gimmick.

Also Nintendo even preserved the optimal D-Pad position on the N64 controller, rather than relegating it to secondary status like on the Gamecube.
>>
No they can't. Ever since PlayStation there non gimmick consoles are flopping

There first party games don't even require high power. No point really. And market and casuals moving away from high power consoles
>>
>>388699636
>Using @ instead of >>
What's with this reddit/twitter meme?
>>
>>388691345
>how much of your money did they use to do that?

$0, just like yours. It's not a government-run organization. They don't use your taxes to do this research you fucknut
>>
>>388699783
>And market and casuals moving away from high power consoles
So that's why the PS4 is a flop.
>>
>>388699771

That's literally what you do though. What the fuck does Other M have to do with anything?

>So this one time Nintendo made this Metroid game that wasn't so good.
>>
>>388699941
No, but the Pro isn't performing so hot, really. Casuals just want what's user-friendly and what their friends will be playing FIFA, CoD and Madden on.
>>
>>388691680
Xbox 360

Don't even try to bring up post-launch shit like Kinect
>>
File: 1502496320429.jpg (31KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1502496320429.jpg
31KB, 403x403px
Sony/MS console
>each successor is vastly more powerful than its predecessor
>the hardware justifies the price

Nintendo
>each successor is barely stronger than competitor's consoles from previous generation.
>has some gimmicks
>the gimmicks justify the price

You may call PS4/XBOne as poor man's PC or something but most serious gamers would take competent hardware any day over being able to play games by waggling like a retard.
>>
>Nintendo shouldn't be like the other consoles

You're right, that's why I refuse to consider the Switch good until they get rid of all DLC, microtransactions, pay2play online, and force every single game to run at 60 FPS minimum.
>>
>>388700024
Achievements. Truly the worst gimmick.
>>
>>388700024
Okay.
>That HDMI adapter fuckery thing on release consoles
>Paid online
>Buying clothes for your avatard
Do those count as gimmicks?
>>
@388699869
>crying like a bitch because anon won't give you a (You)
>>
>>388700102
"Vastly" is used pretty loosely here conciderating the specs
And the critical failures those consoles present at launch are even worse
>>
File: It's the company's fault.jpg (101KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
It's the company's fault.jpg
101KB, 640x480px
>>388700131
This. Achivements are a fucking nightmare that are just padding + bragging rights and should have never been made.
>>
>>388700102

>competent gamers

This is a cancer that needs to go away.
>>
>>388697137
>features are gimmicks I like
>>
>>388700215
I'm not sure
No
No

>>388700131
Okay, you got me.
>>
>>388700258
I wasn't who he was replying to, actually.
I just don't see the point, since only the person you respond to can see the (You). So, for what purpose?
>>
>>388700102
>You may call PS4/XBOne as poor man's PC or something but most serious gamers would take competent hardware any day over being able to play games by waggling like a retard.
actually no serious "gamurrs" actually care about the GAMES. PS4 and Xbox have no games. Switch games all have regular control schemes.
>>
>>388700013
>No, but the Pro isn't performing so hot, really.
Pro was never meant to move comparable numbers to the actual PS4 though, and they're not putting out Pro-only games. It's an enthusiast upgrade.
>>
>>388700290
How do achievements affect you in literally any way?
>>
>>388700361
I also was not the guy you were replying to, but it's because we are all a bunch of faggots
>>
>>388699595
I don't think it was ever stated directly but DK was basically Nintendo's attempt to outfox SEGA (Since pre-rendered shit was the big in thing). It also gave them an edge over Sonic's generally more flashy psuedo 3D look.
>>
>>388700373
>Pro was never meant to move comparable numbers to the actual PS4 though
Of course it was lmao. Why would they release a revision wanting it to sell worse than the original? They just thought 4k would be a lot bigger than it ended up being.
>>
>>388700102
sony/MS console
>each successor has slightly better hardware
>it still barely has any games

Nintendo
>each successor has slightly better hardware
>they try to find creative ways to make gaming fun
>they always have great games

"serious gamers" dont play the last of us and uncharted, faglord.
>>
I had an Xbone, and a PS4 at some point and ended up selling both because I demand a lot more value than either Sony or Microsoft are willing to offer at this point due to consumers who completely lack self control making bank for them no matter what they do. At this point mainstream gaming has become very "industrialized". There's no heart anymore.

I was completely bored with life the other day and ended up buying a Nintendo 2ds (the "doorstop" one) recently while reminiscing about the original DS I had that I pawned when I came upon hard times many years ago.

It's the most fun I've had with video games in forever. I've been non stop marathon gaming, the titles are cheap since it's all old stuff now, plus virtual console, etc. They might not offer anything with "proper" spec'd hardware and the games seem a bit cheesy and mostly aimed at teenagers but damn did I ever miss some real diamonds in the rough over the years by not jumping on the 3ds bandwagon.

Dareisay I've played through 2 titles so far and had more fun in that time than I ever had with my xbone or PS4. And about as much fun as I had with Xcom2
>>
>>388700102

>serious gamers

How serious can you be if you can't do something as simple as building an affordable PC that plays most games? These consoles are basically for retards, the same sort of morons that think getting an Alienware PC is a good decision.
>>
>>388700373
>he thinks Sony made the ps4pro out of the goodness of their hearts

hey guys look i spotted the 12 year old
>>
>you think Nintendo will ever just sell us a gimped pc again? that's all I really want, a shittier version of the thing I can build myself
>>
>Lets say it's 2023
Nigga, all life on the planet that matters will be dead due to global warming so enjoy these last years on Earth.
>>
>>388700323
A feature is an evolution of a previous integral part of the hardware or a the natural progression. Mode 7 isn't any more of a gimmick than 16bits were.

On the other hand waggling improved gaming in absolutely NOTHING.
>>
>>388700419
He said it in his post
>padding
Achievements themselves are fine, but developers tend to use them as a crutch to lean on.
>>
File: 1504056371842.png (398KB, 799x808px) Image search: [Google]
1504056371842.png
398KB, 799x808px
>>388700553
>"serious gamers" dont play the last of us and uncharted, faglord.
>Zelda is the best game ever because muh metacritic score
>>
>>388700362
>actually no serious "gamurrs" actually care about the GAMES.
This is something that people no longer see.
For example, britbongs didn't care the ZX Spectrum was ugly as sin, as long as it had good memorable software like Jet-Pac
The Atari 2600 was awful compared to everything else in the market, and yet people only cared about the games.
>>
>>388700662
>a feature is an evolution of a previous integral part of the hardware or a the natural progression

So then how is it a "gimmick" to be able to split your controller into two and play multiplayer without spending another 50$ on a controller?
>>
>>388700750
Coleco master-race reporting in.
>>
>>388700618
No, like I said it's an enthusiast upgrade. It's double dipping on the people who would buy a slim version or whatever anyway, only now they can market it as "LOOK AT THIS POWER!" instead of "Yo we shrunk the hardware or whatever also it uses 11% less electricity and you get an extra 2 frames per second in some games."
>>
>>388700373
>and they're not putting out Pro-only games
yet
>>
File: tired.jpg (52KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
tired.jpg
52KB, 380x380px
>>388700512
>I don't think it was ever stated directly
The DKC commercial pretty much rubbed it on your face
>Not on 32X
>Not on CD
>NOT. ON. SEGA.
>Only on SNES!
But it was still a great time to see both company pull great software to outdo each other. We don't have console wars since the SNES vs Genesis, it's all massacres, and with the exception of last gen, it's Sony who does the massacring.
>>
>>388700738
>implying i mentioned zelda

I don't enjoy any of the games in that series, personally. I didn't mind zelda 2 but that doesn't even really count since its unlike the other games.

games like ARMS, Fire Emblem and Smash are what make nintendo fun.
>>
>>388700863
They won't until Pro has a sizable lead in the market, if it ever does. They know gamers are whiny fucks and would turn on them in an instant if they ever got denied something like that.
>>
>>388700875
>games like ARMS, Fire Emblem and Smash are what make nintendo fun.
Why doesn't TLOU or Uncharted make the PS4 fun then? What metric are we going on?
>>
>>388700662
The real reason Genesis fans considered Mode 7 a gimmick is because the effect can be achieved in software on a fast CPU, and some Genesis games do pull it off. SNES CPU was garbage but Nintendo included a speciality "Mode 7" chip that did nothing but rotate and scale backgrounds (not even sprites). The way they implemented that functionality seemed kind of tacked on or gimmicky to Sega fans.
>>
>>388701068
>What metric are we going on?
Was it made in Japan or not?
>>
>>388700721
Give an example of this please.
>>
File: 1502315803524.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1502315803524.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>>388699020
Bayonetta 2 literally fucking bombed on WiiU because when the average Nintendo fans saw she's not a fat manlet Italian plumber or a twink elf in green garbs, they weren't interested to buy the game.
>>
>>388701068
TLOU and uncharted are barely even video games. They're more cutscene than game. And even then, the cutscenes aren't even that good.

Fire Emblem, ARMS and smash are gameplay first games, which you can say about most of nintendo's games. They care about the fucking gameplay, not making EPIC ACTION SCENES JUST LIKE WHAT YOU SEE IN THE MOVIES
>>
>>388701103
Mode 7 was just Blast Processing that actually existed, kek.

>>388701149
Nintendo fans don't buy non-Nintendo games.

>>388701164
>They care about the fucking gameplay, not making EPIC ACTION SCENES JUST LIKE WHAT YOU SEE IN THE MOVIES
So that's why Nintendo can't compete.
>>
>>388701139
>an example
The entire video game industry over the last 5 years.
>>
>>388700753
I never said that... I'm defending the switch and the SNES Mode 7...
>>
>>388701234
>can't compete

they're the most profitable company developing consoles right now lmao
>>
>>388701234
>Mode 7 was just Blast Processing that actually existed, kek.
Blast Processing was in fact a real thing, and it basically referred to the Genesis graphic chip having faster memory access than the SNES graphic chip so you could brute force all sorts of special effects by blasting data straight into the DACs.
>>
>>388701235
Allow me to rephrase the question. Please give an example of how achievements are used a a crutch. I have never played a game and thought that it was any better or worse for having achievements.
>>
>>388701164
>TLOU and uncharted are barely even video games
Enough of this horseshit. Quality arguments aside, they're undeniably video games. The problem revolves around carefully orchestrated set pieces where the game tries to fake you out into thinking you're choosing a path instead of jumping through hoops. Most gamers don't see the seams, so the whole effect comes across as this amazing level they played through, rather than being led through it by the nose.

But they're still videogames. You shot people, you plaftform around, you solve puzzles, you move around. Just because it's a linear narrative doesn't make it not a videogame. They're as far from visual novels as any CoD or Assassins Creed game. No one argues that they're not videogames, just that they're shit. And shit they may be, but they're still videogames.
>>
>>388701342
Blast Processing is a marketing term and nobody over the age of 8 should ever seriously utter it for any reason other than to point out that it's just a marketing term.
>>
>>388701417
you're a very literal person huh?

of course I'm not saying its literally not a video game, you fucking retard.
>>
>>388700102
>most serious gamers
Most gamers aren't "serious gamers", otherwise we would be seeing Quake Champions ads in Taco Bell while Overwatch would exist solely in JUST photoshops with emo lyrics for captions.
>>
>>388701463
It's a marketing term based on a real initially undocumented feature of the Genesis hardware.

The term comes from Scott Bayless, technical director of Sega of America describing the feature which he recently discovered in his research to the marketing department and they turned it into a simple term 'blast processing'.
>>
>>388701164
>TLOU and uncharted are barely even video games. They're more cutscene than game. And even then, the cutscenes aren't even that good.
Oh joy, THIS argument again.
>>
>>388701305
Most profitable just means they're better at cutting overheads and squeezing money out of their loyalists. Don't forget that you could buy Nintendo with the annual profits Valve makes off DOTA2 alone.
>>
>>388700102
Right now, most "serious gamers" are middle school teenagers and Dudebro Chad playing the epics CoD/FIFA matches with his dudes online or locally.
Us who were there in the halcyon days, and got bulied over our hobby, are now the minority.
>>
>>388690453
>G-GUYS!!! WHY IS NINTENDO STILL TRYING TO INNOVATE!!!, I WANT MY STAGNATED POOR MAN PC!!!
>>
>>388701690
>Us who were there in the halcyon days, and got bulied over our hobby, are now the minority.
Nobody who uses the word halcyon correctly should be stupid enough to be bitter about gaming becoming popular.
>>
File: 1499592672072.png (594KB, 1880x1860px) Image search: [Google]
1499592672072.png
594KB, 1880x1860px
>>388691345
>nintendo needs to stop making hardware.
>Nintendo needs to stop one of the reason they print money
>>
>>388701680
The problem with this is always I don't think they take into account the segments of the game where you're technically not in a cutscene, but might as well be for the focus on characters talking while nothing else happens.

I wonder what the length of that would be when measured in HL2?
>>
>>388701859
There is only one REASON they "print money" and that is because they hold the childhood of so many people hostage with their brand power. Their hardware is a method they use to extract the money from people.
>>
>>388701908
Pretty much every game on that list has massive segments where you're sitting around, listening to bland dialogue. So it's not like it's mutually exclusive.

>I wonder what the length of that would be when measured in HL2?
Probably alot, since HL2 has aged like milk.
>>
>>388701685
>goalposts

>>388701680
>strawman
>>
>>388701669
The ram clock is a specification, not a feature. And pipeline bandwidth is just as relevant as the clock speed. Without having a complete technical design layout of the processors being compared a single number from the specifications like that is meaningless junk.
Having grown up with both a Genesis and a SNES I can assure you the SNES was the superior overall piece of hardware.

They both had issues. And they both had great games, but anybody who suggests, in hindsight, that the Genesis had superior hardware in any way is completely insane (or more obviously wasn't actually there).
>>
>>388701968
>Their hardware is a method they use to extract the money from people.
if this were true WiiU would have not struggled goy
>>
>>388701968
>they hold the childhood of so many people hostage
What does this even mean? That they just don't hand it out so everyone can play it on every device out now?
>>
>>388697782
Most people who aren't fucking retarded don't smoke, anon
>>
File: 1495015778140.jpg (21KB, 350x464px) Image search: [Google]
1495015778140.jpg
21KB, 350x464px
>>388701680
This looks like something ACfag would post.
>>
>>388701846
I... I have issues.
They actually dunked my head into the toilet for loving my N64, and later on for not having a PS2 with GTAIII like a real man and instead "a faggy GameCube"
>>
>>388700102
>>each successor is vastly more powerful than its predecessor
>>the hardware justifies the price
do you suck Kaz's Dick with that dirty lying mouth, anon?
>>
>>388701690
>Us who were there in the halcyon days, and got bulied over our hobby
Been playing vidya since 1988 and never got shit on IRL for vidya. Maybe try not blaming something else for what's clearly the result of you being a douche?
>>
File: 3a3.png (899KB, 680x697px) Image search: [Google]
3a3.png
899KB, 680x697px
>>388702189
>anime
Way to invalidate your post.
>>
>>388701680
>That moment you want to agree with an anon but half of his "argument" is horseshit
>He uses ACfag's images
Truly the darkest timeline
As much as /v/ hate them they still are games
>>
>>388702082
WiiU wouldn't have struggled if they didn't market it so poorly that a lot of people thought it was a peripheral for the Wii.

>>388702120
It means that for a generation of nerds, the NES and SNES was their childhood and those are the people still buying Nintendo products en masse.

>>388702197
Sounds like a shit school man. At mine it as us N64 kids playing GoldenEye while the smug PSX fags talked endlessly about FFVII and Syphon Filter. Not MGS, fucking Syphon Filter.
>>
>>388700738
What makes you think /v/ values games based on meta scores?
>>
>>388702291
>Been playing vidya since 1988 and never got shit on IRL for vidya.
I did because in this damn third world ONLY REAL MEN PLAY SOCCER back then.
Bunny now kids only like watching it or playing it in consoles and now preffer to play minecraft on their phones each reccess
>>
>>388702323
>WiiU wouldn't have struggled if they didn't market it so poorly that a lot of people thought it was a peripheral for the Wii.
that is true, but change of topic tho
>>
>>388702362
This bait image annoys me. Fallout 3 was buggy when it released but NV was next level unplayable on consoles and the PC version was barely better.
>>
>>388702323
>Sounds like a shit school man
It was. An elitist CATHOLIC school where the one who "isn't with the pack" was outcasted to hell and back.
And the pack leader of the jokes, his mother was a dean, so... Yeah.
>>
>>388702362
Buying anything based on an arbitrary review score is just a recipe for disappointment these days.
What I do is first I look for a sincere looking positive review in order to see what's good about it. And then I look for a sincere looking negative review, and see what's bad about it. And then I go from there. Because otherwise it doesn't matter whether you're buying a video game, or a new mattress, everything is going to be completely over-rated because of review bots, and because most consumers will have very little to compare it to.
>>
3D Mario
2D mario
Mario kart
Mario party
Pokemon
Zelda
Animal crossing
Smash bros
Yoshi
Kirby
Fire emblem
Metroid
Pikmin
ARMS

Only games that could use more power.is zelda and metroid. None of the games needs more power.
>>
>>388702548
Smart man. Another good method is to find a reliable reviewer whose opinions on previous games align closely with yours and then use them as your metric.
>>
>>388690453
Sadly it's not possible to do a console without gimmicks that is profitable unless you're willing to spend billions on it and get ahead first.
The online communities turned consoles into MMO like shits, where even if you do a better competing system with better games, people will still not move because their friends are not on the competing system.
So you need to create something that worth buying despise not being the "main MMO machine", and mario alone won't do it.

But the switch do have a HUGE difference from the Wii,WiiU,Kinect and VR gimmicks that is the fact that is a gimmick that don't depend on the creativity of the game developers to succeed. All they have to do is do the game as they always do, and the gimmick part will just work as intended instead of requiring any sort of mindstorming to get the gimmick to work well.
>>
>>388702061
>The ram clock is a specification, not a feature. And pipeline bandwidth is just as relevant as the clock speed.
Well yes, it's not really a feature as such. Otherwise it wouldn't need to be "discovered" by Sega. It's more of a hardware trick that while also possible on SNES is more feasible on Genesis because of the faster memory connection.

>Without having a complete technical design layout of the processors being compared a single number from the specifications like that is meaningless junk.
The thing is that every single memory connection is faster on Genesis than it is on SNES, without exception.

>but anybody who suggests, in hindsight, that the Genesis had superior hardware in any way is completely insane (or more obviously wasn't actually there).
I was also there and learning comp sci at the time. I don't think it's inaccurate at all to call the Genesis "more powerful" than the SNES, if you define power by traditional metrics like how fast you can compute something or shift data.

That being said, the SNES had a 'whole bag of tricks' (by tricks here I mean features) that the Genesis didn't, and it could really leverage those those features. In particular those are a higher color count, semi-transparency blending, Mode 7 and multi-channel PCM audio.

But that's not to say that the Genesis had worse hardware. The Motorola 68000 is a far better CPU than the 16-bit 6502 of the SNES. This advantage goes well beyond clock speed. the 68000 has a fantastic set of registers which means it doesn't have to bang on RAM for every goddamn little thing like the 6502 does. The 68000 also has an amazingly flexible instruction set making it far more efficient for complex operations.

Then, as mentioned before, the Genesis has much faster RAM than the SNES. Remember the 68000 has a 16-bit RAM bus while the 6502 only has an 8-bit RAM bus. Both RAM roughly runs at the same speed from memory, so you're literally looking at double the bandwidth on Genesis.
>>
>>388702841
The SNES had both objectively better graphics and better audio. It also had an objectively better controller, both ergonomically and functionally. It all comes down to hardware application. The Genesis might have been a better calculator, but it was lacking as a video game console if you compare it to the SNES.
>>
>>388703098
Also to add to this the controller port pins were really flimsy on the Genesis.
>>
File: beyond_oasis2.png (232KB, 599x396px) Image search: [Google]
beyond_oasis2.png
232KB, 599x396px
>>388703098
The other thing that needs to bear mentioning is that the Genesis (320x224 or 320x240) ran at a higher resolution than the SNES (256x224). SNES did have a 512x448 mode but it wasn't designed for gameplay (since it runs at like 15 FPS) and I think only one game tried as such.

I thought the visuals in a game like Beyond Oasis were very good. Easily better than most SNES games. I won't say objectively better, but certainly beating pretty much everything.

>The Genesis might have been a better calculator
Well that better calculator is also why it doesn't slowdown as much as the SNES.
>>
>>388703557
>SNES did have a 512x448 mode but it wasn't designed for gameplay (since it runs at like 15 FPS)
I think you're glossing over how many games ran at shitty framerates in those days, bro.
>>
>>388703802
Almost every game ran at 60 FPS in those days. Except for bouts of slowdown of course.
>>
>>388704159
Bets on whether this is revisionist history or newfag pretending to be an oldfag?
>>
>>388690453
>I think it's arguable that GameCube was it's last true console
stopped reading right there. people need to stop pretending the gamecube was a good console.
>>
No, and why should they? Even if they made a machine with spec, you'd all laugh and BING BING WAHOO them, anyway.

Just buy your Madden/FIFA machines and go away.
>>
>the switch has no games!
>the wii u has no games
>nintendo is shit! games for babies!
>WHEN IS NINTENDO GOING THIRD PARTY SO I CAN PLAY ALL THEIR GREAT GAMES ON MY PS5??
Never ever
>>
>>388697545
But WHY?
Sure Nintendo games will look better but so what? The multipats will look the same as on the other consoles IF third party even decide to port them over. And even then, people who play le FIFA CoD GTA shit don't buy Nintendo console for those. So why bother?
>>
>>388704560
He didn't say it was good he said it was just a normal console no gimmick.
>>
>>388705809
mini discs is a gimmick
>>
File: botwgoty.png (328KB, 779x478px) Image search: [Google]
botwgoty.png
328KB, 779x478px
>>388690453
Well, they created the Switch so it's already happened,
>>
>>388705912
Who in gods name bought the fucking Gamecube because it had mini disks. I didn't even know the disks were small until I unpacked the thing as a kid.
>>
too easy
>>
were already hitting graphics diminishing returns, what do you think will happen once the cost is higher than the returns?

some nintendo exec already said this in an interview, dunno if it was the dead guy
>>
>>388696256
stop. you don't know English well enough to participate
>>
File: 1502553333011.jpg (57KB, 595x683px) Image search: [Google]
1502553333011.jpg
57KB, 595x683px
>>388700268
>>388700610
>>388701846
>>388702207
Being a PCBro, I know that consoles will be weaker than a dedicated gaming rig but I do acknowledge the fact that every new iteration of Sony and MS console will be stronger than the previous one.

Meanwhile, you can expect the latest iteration of Nintendo console to still stuck in last 2 generation in terms of hardware. But, but, at least you can waggle/view 3D image/sing/jump/wave/sommersault/take a shit/etc. while playing Nintendo console! How innovative! Totally worth the premium price they slap on the console!
>>
File: 1503595956434.png (484KB, 574x516px) Image search: [Google]
1503595956434.png
484KB, 574x516px
>>388702482
people have really short memory, todd knows this thats the reason he always re releases games
>>
>>388704330
let's have some 15fps examples. superfx and similar don't count.
>>
>>388690453
I like the Switch a lot to be honest. Its level of graphics look good enough for what it is. I got a PC for when I want to be a graphics whore anyway.
>>
>>388698342
So protip with that puzzle. flip the damn board over to it's other side. No gates makes it so much eaiser to line up and roll the ball over.

It's your own damn fault for thinking you HAD to do it through the maze. A lot of gimmicks allow you to think outside of the box, most people don't even try though.
>>
>>388699079
You really think faggots here actually know shit about tech?
>>
>>388707528
That sums up a lot of the shrines. There are usually more ways to solve them then the developers planned.

That said, other puzzles with motion platforms can be done in a similar way.
>>
File: Iwata Asks Wii hardware.png (513KB, 690x2330px) Image search: [Google]
Iwata Asks Wii hardware.png
513KB, 690x2330px
>>388706432
Genyo Takeda, 11 years ago. He's still alive, but recently retired. He had some real insight.
>>
>>388708057
Imagine how much better the industry would be if other publish could have afforded the risk to focus on the Wii. I could be playing Timesplitters 4 right now.
>>
>>388708346
The few third parties that did try had limited success. Most were lucky to sell 100,000 games. iirc, Sonic could break a million.
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.