[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It just plays like the first Sonic Adventure what is so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault(3).jpg (151KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(3).jpg
151KB, 1280x720px
It just plays like the first Sonic Adventure what is so enlightening about it?
>>
>>388683243
>just like the first Sonic Adventure
except this time, there's no bs, everything works and levels are open enough for you to go fast and choose your own path.
>>
>>388683243
>It just plays like the first Sonic Adventure
there's momentum in utopia, though
>>
File: 1500327312056.gif (364KB, 416x359px) Image search: [Google]
1500327312056.gif
364KB, 416x359px
>>388683243
fix the bugs with SA1's gameplay and it's unironically the most faithful adaption to 3D Sonic ever had. The rest took away the physics based platforming and exploration in favor of more speed.
>>
I dont care what people think, where's the most recent DL link?
All I'm finding are links from 2016
>>
Utopia is a piece of fucking shit. God it sucks so bad.
>>
Momentum works as it should as does slopes, jump trajectory etc
Camera adjusts dynamically
Basically everything that 3d sanic should be without all the dodgy scripting nonsense, keep in mind its just a big sandbox with no real goal
>>
>>388683828
There was in Adventure too, just less air friction.
>>
>>388683828
>>388684360
Adventure was too janky and unrefined, with utopia you always feel in complete control of the character
>>
>>388684564
t. someone who's never played Adventure
>>
>>388684668
I've played DX and its uncontrollable at and decent speed especially with camera wildly changing angles automatically all the time
>>
>>388684360
more like no friction at all, which is why all of the loops work on scripts and boost pads instead of forcing the player to actually manage their momentum
>>
>>388685065
The DX port sucks.
>>
>>388683243
please actually go back and play adventure 1 it is not good.
>>
>>388683983
Some programmer there must have made tails get stuck there intentionally, because they thought it was funny. Probably had a good group chuckle over it at the office.
>>
>>388685906
Yeah it's not good. It's great.
>>
>>388683243
You've literally never played SA1 if you think this. Utopia has actual weight to your movement instead of ridiculous 90 degree turning angle shit.
>>
>>388685790
As much as the DX ports ruined, the camera was not one of those things. I like Adventure too, but even I can't deny how much the camera sucks.
>>
File: 23413243456.png (69KB, 174x173px) Image search: [Google]
23413243456.png
69KB, 174x173px
>>388683679
Yeah but that makes the levels all spaghettified because you have such an incredibly tight turn radius. There needs to be some dynamic to let you quickly change direction, or maybe map out levels more like a shantae game than a breath of the wild map. So like have brief linear segments that are networked together, so you can take multiple paths to access them. That way you'd have more constricted levels while still being open world.
>>
>>388683983
>>388683679
Being linear works in Sa1 and especially Sa2's favor, though.
>>
>>388687075
First off, the literal instant turning in SA was bad. It's just flat-out annoying, and results in the player more often than not losing control. It's terrible game design, and directly goes against the core mechanic that makes 2D sonic games fun: controlling your momentum. Utopia does this fairly well, though I think a lot of things in Utopia could feel a bit weightier or have a more drastic impact on your momentum (bouncing on enemies in particular feels kinda shitty, most of the time.) I also think Utopia might be a bit more interesting if your turning got sharper the slower you were, meaning that you'd be able to make more fine movements easier when you're not blazing around at the speed of sound.
HOWEVER.
You can't really give Utopia shit for it's level design for one major reason: IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY. Utopia's current demo is more or less just a massive playground for you to fuck around with Sonic's momentum in. It's a proof of concept. A developer playground. A *demo*. Now, Utopia's movement system would absolutely require a more open-ended level compared to SA, don't mistake that. That being said, the current demo isn't really indicative at all of how Utopia would work as an actual game outside of its movement system, and you know what? That's a REALLY fucking good thing. If you make a 3D game like Utopia, or Mario, or Crash, or whatever, the very first motherfucking goal should be making the movement itself fun. Utopia, while definitely a little rough, has accomplished this while SEGA's 3D games mostly haven't.
That being said, making the rolling turning radius wider and adding a drift button to Utopia would fucking rock.

Also Lange, if you read this, the figure-8 run in the peelout shouldn't have one for each leg, it's just one figure 8.
>>
>>388683828
>>388684564
>>388685065

Completely wrong. Adventure gives you far more control than Utopia. In Utopia it takes about 10 seconds to turn at full speed, in Adventure you can always turn on a dime, you have perfect control over your character. You just suck at it.
>>
>>388687979
>You can't really give Utopia shit for it's level design for one major reason: IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY. Utopia's current demo is more or less just a massive playground for you to fuck around with Sonic's momentum in. It's a proof of concept. A developer playground
I don't by that bullshit one bit. I know Lange initially made the game to be le open world Sonic maymay and then he pulled that "that's now how the real levels will be" only once he saw the negative feedback.
>>
>>388683243
>It just plays like the first Sonic Adventure
but its WAYY too open, no hub world, cant interact with others and talk, and cant stand on any ceiling.
Utopiashills are the worst
>>
>>388688187
>Adventure you can always turn on a dime, you have perfect control over your character.
exactly, sonic is practically momentum-less in adventure, that's one of the many reasons why utopia is superior
>>
>>388688347
I know it was slippery, but this was actually implemented in Shadow the Hedgehog.
>>
>>388687979
Truthfully, like most projects of this type, it will probably be abandoned at some point anyway. I bet it's more likely it will resurface, potentially by the same devs, as an original ip of some kind.
>>
>>388683243
How do you make difficult level design with this?
>>
>>388688187
This. It's funny how retards basically want less control so they make less mistakes.
>>
>>388688580
it's funny how adventurefags think that the lack of momentum in their games is a feature
>>
>>388688790
>More control over a character
>not a feature
>>
>>388688790
I don't think that making all the physics realistic is right for Sonic, maybe making less sensitive control would help, but Utopia overdoes it.
>>
>>388688848
>literally too stupid to understand the original appeal of sonic the hedgehog
>too busy sucking sonic team's dick for creating one of the most disappointing 2D to 3D transitions of any classic video game franchise
>>
File: 1492578098905.png (165KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
1492578098905.png
165KB, 400x362px
>>388688224
Anon, even if that were the case, how in the fuck would that be a bad thing? That's listening to feedback, you fucking retard.
>>
>>388689121
>The original sonic prevented you from turning where, when and how you actually wanted

Damn the delusion
>>
>>388688503
We can only pray forces will underperform and the higher ups at SEGA will be tempted to pick up Utopia like they did Mania.
>>
>>388689245
try turning on a dime in any genesis sonic game, you retard
>>
>>388689245
You couldn't change air momentum after jumping out of a ground spin attack.
>>
>>388689245
Yes, it did. If you think for one fucking second that the control you had over Sonic in Sonic 2 is the same level of control you had over, say, Megaman in literally any of his games, you're retarded.
>>
>>388689427
You could in Sonic 3 after using the instashield.
That's one of the overlooked features of the move.
>>
>>388683243
what the fuck is wrong with his feet/legs lower torso in general
>>
>>388689801
uhh, have you seen his upper torso? his face? his entire body?
>>
>>388689801
It's based on the Sonic CD rubber band run, but they fucked it up and gave him two "bands" instead of one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSL7naH-8A
>>
>>388690084
>rubber band run
Peel out
>>
>>388690084
>that music
the fuck? holy cancer
>>
File: 1470734428sonicruncomparaison.png (45KB, 901x425px) Image search: [Google]
1470734428sonicruncomparaison.png
45KB, 901x425px
>>388690318
The move where he runs in place if you hold up and jump is called the Peelout, anon. The run cycle itself is just generally referred to as the rubber band run. You don't even need to use the Peelout to make it happen.
>>388690445
>not liking you can do anything
Fucking END YOURSELF, holy shit.
https://youtu.be/6WeKBOPcyJk&t=2m40s
>>
>>388690739
Shit, fucked up the link.
https://youtu.be/6WeKBOPcyJk#t=2m40s
>>
>>388690445
Better than that boring burger music.
>>
>>388690739
>>388691306
The male vocals sound like a rap you'd hear in a Drugs Are Bad vhs made for elementary schoolers. There's no energy in it at all. I don't have anything to say about the rest of the game's soundtrack, but the intro is definitely better in the US version. Even a weeb would be able to see that.
>>
>>388691645
The US version sounds like an average fan video. "Oh boy what would happen if I tried to sing"

Result: a boring repetitive song on top of video footage that barely fits
>>
>>388683243
This is basically just track mania, like sonic literally handles like he's a car.
>>
I don't really know what you guys are arguing about, because I haven't played the thing. But Sonic Adventure's movement was too sensitive. And Sonic Unleashed's movement is too stiff.
The solution would actually be to think of a way that makes turning into a more tactile action.

I propose that sharp turning should only be possible by holding a trigger button. And it has to be a trigger button. Because with a trigger, you have control over the sensitivity. A slight press of the trigger would allow Sonic to turn only slightly more than normal. And a fully pressed trigger would allow Sonic to turn at an extremely sharp angle.

With this system, you have more control over your turning angle, and you actually *feel* the turn with the trigger, rather than just flicking the stick over.

I know this feature will never be implemented, because despite PC players claiming they're the master race, over half of you don't own a proper pad for your PC. So PC games that would actually control better with a pad, are limited by mouse and keyboard.
>>
>>388693376
You obviously have never touched a TrackMania game. Not that Sonic shouldn't pretty much handle like a car.
>>
>>388693795
Switch doesn't have triggers either, you would need motion controls for that.
>>
>>388693795
Yeah no, in a fast-paced environment, a drift button should be digital. Whether it puts sonic into a hard drift or a softer drift should depend on how long the button is held. Tap it to have him gently spin out into a turn. Hold it for a Mario Kart style drift. Trying to delicately work an analog trigger for a dexterous thing such as turns is no good.
>>
>>388689651
You also could in Sonic CD.
>>
>>388683243
sonic lost world had the best potential for a 3d sonic game prove me wrong
>>
>>388691645
>you can do anything
>no energy
Holy fuck, are you autistic? I mean the legitimate kind of autism where emotions are a fucking mystery to you, because you have to be fucking autistic to not get pumped by how energetic it all is and how the JP intro actually matches the fucking music with that drop-dead gorgeous animation, unlike the US intro where the song is haphazardly slapped on with no regards to proper fucking timing.
I can understand preferring the US soundtrack for some of the level themes, but the JP intro and ending are objectively superior.
>>
File: MayaQuest.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MayaQuest.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
>>388693795

I have a DS3 for my PC though, anon.
>>
>>388694678
It is a too limiting version of Sonic Adventure, but some of the level design in the early areas is top tier. I love the cylindrical level.
>>
>>388694692
>Sonic fanboy nervously and incessantly calls someone else autistic
There's a word for this. I think it's called projecting. I don't give a shit either way though, the 2D games are just average.
>>
>>388694606
>Trying to delicately work an analog trigger for a dexterous thing such as turns is no good.
f-zero gx makes it work pretty well, and that game is sonic-speed
>>
>>388694914
>sonic fanboy
>the 2D games are just average
Nigger, what? This isn't about the actual game you fucking retard. I'm talking about the OP of the game. Regardless of the quality of the game, the JP opening is beautifully done.
>>
>>388695383
They are great, but the newer games are far nicer.
>>
>>388695383
he's saying that which one is better or not doesn't matter since the game isn't great. how do you not get that? i guess you were projecting
>>
>>388695489
I'm not talking about the game itself, you dumbass.
>>
>>388695539
>which one is better or not doesn't matter since the game isn't great
The OP and accompanying music can be judged on their own merits aside from the game, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>388695839
What does the OP >>388683243 have anything to do with this?
>>
JP soundtrack is way better overall. However US op is miles better than the nip version.
>>
>>388695992
Follow the discussion, retard.
>>388696238
I disagree. I think the US song does work better on its own, yes, but the JP version works MILES better when paired with the animation simply because of how absolutely perfect the timing is.
>>
I wish there was a way to combine SA2 and Unleashed movements.
>>
>>388697660
If you just game Utopia a wider turning radius when going fast but added a drift button while rolling, You'd basically have that.
>>
Since the discussion is on the CD opening, I'm gonna leave this here.
http://jonathantheharris.blogspot.fi/2011/06/sonic-cd-intro-movie.html?m=1
>>
>>388688187
>in Adventure you can always turn on a dime
This is a bad thing. Turning on a dime at high speeds looks and feels bad. More control =/= better control.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.