[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game physics in GTAIII, VC, and SA is tied to frame rate. If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: mpv-shot0010.jpg (163KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0010.jpg
163KB, 1280x720px
Game physics in GTAIII, VC, and SA is tied to frame rate. If you try 60fps, the physics get really weird, and cars seem rather floaty. What appears to happen is that cars get about half as heavy, and flip over really easily.

Would it be possible to manually edit the cars to double their in-game weight, so that at 60fps they perform normally?
>>
>the physics get really weird, and cars seem rather floaty

Where's the video, son?
>>
Pretty much everything is hard coded for 25/30 fps in early titles and if it was possible to fix it I'm sure some guy must've done it already. You're just gonna have to put the frame limiter on.
>>
>>388672748
This. People have modded SA to hell and back, tweaking pretty much everything in it while doing it. Making the game work 60fps without fucking shit up was probably the first thing people tried with it, so because it hasn't happened yet it's very unlikely that it would ever happen. Someone like Silent would certainly have found it by now.
>>
>>388671061

It's not just the cars that get fucked, there's just too much shit that gets ruined if you turn off the frame limiter.
>>
Why can't the frame limiter be set to 60fps?
>>
>>388671061
It also ruins other stuff like the ability to hold breath when diving, making that one Amphibious Assault mission ridiculously annoying. It's just what it is, the engine is way too reliant on the framerate.
>>
>>388674223
Because the game is already broken at 60 FPS, in fact it starts messing up the instant you go over the intended original console framerate, getting the worse the higher you go.
>>
>>388674223

The game is designed around 30fps and too many functions rely on time.

Here's a great explanation on how it works - https://www.speedrun.com/gtaiii/guide/xwvlf
>>
>>388674223
Because you touch yourself at night.
>>
>>388674502
>>388674448

It'd be less broken at 60fps, and more predictable. I do wonder if you could manually edit in-car stats to counter it. ie friction is increased by 2 @60fps, therefore, decrease the raw stat by by half.
>>
>>388671061
someone should just remake SA in a new engine.
>>
>>388674769

Rockstar should just port them to the GTAV engine. Re-use all the same assets.
>>
>>388671061
>Would it be possible to manually edit the cars to double their in-game weight, so that at 60fps they perform normally?
You could edit the weight of the cars sure, but that won't solve anything because game physics don't work like in real life physics, changing the weight won't automatically change the friction, the resistance, the acceleration and literally every other parameter tied with weight like it'd change irl.
What this means is that you'll get a heavier car, but all the other stats unchanged, so it will accelerate and run slower, and even if you managed to make it run as fast as it ran with its previous weight, when you hit the breaks it won't stop as you would expect it to, because it's heavier but it has the same friction.
So in short, you'd have to change ALL the parameters tied to each and every car, not just their weight.
Also, it's not a simple switch from 30 to 60fps, because what if I want to run the game at 120fps?
It'd require to not just change the parameter to their double/half, but to rewrite each one per cycle instead of per Nth of a second, which is not as easy as you'd imagine.
This, just for cars, but cars aren't the only things affected by framerate.

>>388674645
Cars aren't the only things affected by framerate, such as, and not limited to:
in game scenes
scripted events
AI
everything affected by speed and momentum, such as player and npc running speeds, effects of impacts, speed and trajectory of every object that can be launched, including rockets from rocket launchers and missiles from jets
Audio sync.
Every aspect of the game would have to be rewritten to fit 60fps.
>>
>>388676464
>Every aspect of the game would have to be rewritten to fit 60fps.

I think it's doable, just time consuming.
>>
>>388676671
I don't think you understood what i meant.

If it were about the amount of parameters that need to be changed, then you'd be right, it'd be extremely time consuming, but it'd be doable.
The issue is that it's not about that.
It's literally not about changing parameters.
It's about rewriting the game engine and it's core code, something that no mod has ever touched before.
Each mod that has been created has either tweaked parameters or has created new objects(or made available/visible portions of the code that aren't normally visible, such as cars speed), but still all of them HAD TO stick strictly to the game engine physics.
A mod made a new weapon/vehicle/object?
That thing, whatever it is, is made of parameters that follow strict rules set by the game engine and its code.

tl;dr:
it's not about modding the game, it's about rewriting it entirely from it's very core.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.