[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OP here being a huge faggot but I wanna hear it from you douche

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: steam.png (252KB, 583x330px) Image search: [Google]
steam.png
252KB, 583x330px
OP here being a huge faggot but I wanna hear it from you douche bags.
What makes a video game good?
>>
Shamefuru serfu bump
>>
This is now a PUBG thread, sorry buddy.
>>
>>388650540
Fuck you and your h1z1 >:(
>>
>>388650434
Focus. Knowing what sort of game you want to make, and who is going to play it.
also skill and time I guess
>>
>>388650434
fun
>>
>>388650434
>game
>good
newfag
>>
>>388650434
Games have the be compelling.
>>
>>388650720
>>388650772
>>388650805
I wanna know the kinds of components that people find to be the reason a game is genuinely good. For example, graphics vs storyline
>>
>>388650434
Who starts a thread like this?

Like, seriously.
>>
>>388650946
all games are shit now go back
>>
File: Emo_Peter_Parker.jpg (35KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
Emo_Peter_Parker.jpg
35KB, 600x456px
>>388650434
Delete this NOW

Gabe is a false messiah
>>
>>388650946
There is no perfect sauce, only perfect sauces.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (14KB, 233x216px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
14KB, 233x216px
>>388651004
I did faggot.
>>
>>388650434
In terms of singleplayer, I have to care, I want to be engaged and have a cause that I'm working towards or a character/setting/Scenario I care about.
>>
>>388650434
good gameplay that works and is balanced
content enough to give the game a good length, prevent repetitiveness and a nice replay value
constant and decent dev support in multiplayer games
>>
File: 1492544275954.jpg (32KB, 498x493px) Image search: [Google]
1492544275954.jpg
32KB, 498x493px
>>388651120
No shit,Sherlock
>>
>>388651162
What about multiplayer?
>>
>>388651191
Thank you! This is what i'm looking for. Anyone else got any thoughts?
>>
>>388651387
Have a decent gameplay loop. i.e: Shoot, then something receive damage, then something die, repeat.
>>
>>388651120
Gabe is a god :^)
>>
>>388651587
Isn't that just basic mechanics of any FPS game?
>>
>>388651736
But it has to be fun. The very basics of your game have to be enjoyable or the other elements of the game make the gameplay compelling enough.
>>
>>388651872
So basically killing floor vs. overwatch
>>
>>388650434
putting a game in the game.
> stuff that works with synergies
> you can either have this or that and you have to choose the best setting for the actual situation
> you should always be able to achieve progress in reasonable time
> if you change your mind, you should only be limited by ingame money
> don't change the game concept half way through the game
this is not a complete list
>>
File: 1461988932378.jpg (31KB, 379x368px) Image search: [Google]
1461988932378.jpg
31KB, 379x368px
>>388651273
what about multiplayer
>>
>>388652283
Okay. So here's a question. How should end game vary in terms of progression? I agree that there should always be achievable progress in reasonable times. Spoiler alert: Not ARK. but what would you propose would be a good solution to continue progression in end game?
>>
Full commitment to what it is, if that makes sense. So many games op for the Ubisoft quantity over quality approach and throw in everything and the kitchens ink but they ultimate end up without a personality.

Replay value is a must. I don't mean littering the game with 20 different difficulty levels or a bunch of grind meters, but something that you can play, have a good time with, and come back and enjoy again at a later time. I replay Silent Hill 2, Starfox 64, and D2 on Dreamcast once a year, just because they are so damn good. Modern games that I find very replayable are Vanquish and Doom 2016.
>>
>>388652505
Good
>You become better at the game to the point you tackle things you believed impossible, you may or may not get new tools along the way.
Good too
>It's an RPG, you may need to level up but at least you decide what to improve so you can play the game how you want and create your own challenge runs.
Bad
>Simple gameplay with little depth, upgrades make the game trivial, the game plays exactly the same every single time with little room for improvement to the point it makes you wonder why it isn't just a movie instead.
>>
>>388650434
Being made by people that want to create a fun game out of passions instead of trying to make as much profit as possible.
>>
>sizeable amount of content vs price
>most of the money spent on making the game better not marketing
>not being a broken shit on launch
>not announcing dlc pre release
>no season pass
>absolutely no buyable skins/lootboxes
>>
>Objectively
Being enjoyable to play.
The playing is the core of the idea of a game.
It is the greatest factor that decides quality.

>Subjectivly
The best mode differs from person to person.

Some value more cerebral modes of play while others enjoy more timing centric ones.
Some even prefer entirely non-competitive casual experiences.
>>
>>388652505
what sort of game you want to make to begin with? You're making shooter, RGP or strategy? There's no such thing as "universial solution". Do you want people to launch, and play for 20 minutes without any care, or do you want them to use excel spreadsheets to maximize leveling effeciency? Is build progress mandatory, or it's fully optional bonus?
>>
>>388653347
I mean that's a fair point but I'm just curious as to what should go into a game to make it considered a good game. I probably don't need to mention this but a majority of games are terrible because they focus too much on the profit aspect and continue to copy the same basic designs as their predecessors while adding a couple of "innovative" new designs to make the game different. I.E. Wildstar
>>
>>388653553
It's more of an opinion i'm looking for. Just in general. For example an RPG like skyrim gets very redundant after you hit end game as the enemies become too easy to kill, or you hit end game in an MMO and have no direction in what to do because the emphasis of the game was leveling up to end game. Vanilla WoW was a master of enticing players to play and level up, all the while providing a forced social interaction, which in a way created it's own culture that caused the community to drive one another to end game. Which in vanilla WoW a very few percentage of the entire community was able to even access it due to it's difficulty. I essentially just want opinions on why you all as individuals would handle problems that seem to occur too frequently in games these days.
>>
>>388653564
Yes, and on the other hand you have games like Rabi-Ribi that were created because the dev wanted to draw some cute sprites, then wanted them to move around on his screen and then slowly created the entire game around it.
Selling it to people probably came as an afterthought.
>>
>>388654038
So would you consider Rabi-Ribi a good game due to its intent?
>>
>>388654134
I think it's a fairly good game, intent or not.
>>
Sigh.
>>
>>388654296
Penny for your thought?
>>388654269
Can I get your opinion on what makes it good, other than it's original intent?
>>
>>388654397
>Can I get your opinion on what makes it good, other than it's original intent?
Good levels of challenge, replayability, cute art and cute girls doing cute things, the dev is still supporting and updating the game 2 years later, fair pricetag for what it offers in my opinion.

I suppose most of these are subjective though so that answer might not statisfy you.
>>
>>388650946
Just look at PUBG, random elements, competitive, multiplayer, timer, and decent shooting mechanics. You can mix and match those or add stuff to that.
>>
>>388654876
Actually the answer is very satisfying. Thank you for your opinion. It provides insight into what people would consider to be good in a game rather than developers pushing the same hype train without actually delivering anything decent.
>>
>>388654961
Isn't H1Z1 the same thing though? How would you say it differs? To me there's been an awful lot of king of the hill and survival game clones coming out with extremely, if not the same, mechanics as the last.
>>
Replayablity is the only thing that makes a game good.
>>
>>388655189
Give me more emphasis as to what makes a game more replayable. Is it graphics, story, anime tiddy, multiple endings?
>>
>>388650434
>>388650528
>>388650946
>>388651157
Obvious fucking newshit. Go back
>>
>>388655042
I forgot to add stuff that is fairly standard metrovania gameplay (exploration, collecting items, ect), however the game mixed it up with lots of danmaku style boss battles which puts a nice spin on it.
>>
>>388655294
Freedom of choice, which could mean anything from an RPG to a game like Asteroids.
>>
File: tumblr_nty3bqjdS11uy4xxuo1_1280.jpg (128KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nty3bqjdS11uy4xxuo1_1280.jpg
128KB, 1024x1024px
>>388650434
>gameplay
that's the most important thing about a game. if gameplay suck, you will not enjoy at 100% the game.
>the game atmosphere
i mean like in bloodborne,the witcher 3, if the atmosphere is 10/10, even if the gameplay or diffculty its high, you will still enjoy the game.
>the music
i think that's one of the most important things, i mean games like bloodborne,witcher 3,dark souls, ori and the blind forest, without music, is not the same. listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSk8-pJkX8
now same with witcher 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt5Mxm7BPhM
>grapich
now, this is not the most important thing, but still, a good grapich make a game better to look at. the rest are the story, voice acting and shit like that.
>>
>>388655294
2 examples of good replayability that I remember were Bayonetta 1 where after beating Normal you could play the game again on Hard and it would start you off at the end of Normal in terms of difficulty and beating that let you play Hard but with the witchtime gimmick turned off which made the game even more difficulty.

The other one is Zone of the Enders 2 where you could replay the game using the final form of your mech and comepletely destroy every enemy and boss in the game in seconds.
>>
>>388650946
Oh, so you're retarded.

Appeal to an audience. Audience will like gaem.
>>
>>388655957
>appeal to audience
That can mean anything from creating a hype train for a mediocre game (I.e. Overwtafch) to appealing to a niche audience about a decent game. it doesn't always mean that the audience will like the game, they can eat it up but once the game is playable.. that's a different story. more emphasis please, I'm looking for an analytical overview rather than giving me really basic things that make you look more retarded than me.
>>
>>388655838
>>388655902
>>388655339
Thanks for your input! this is exactly what i'm looking for!
>>
>>388655294
one greatly underused mechanics is random seeding. Basically, instead of placing object in game, you place spawner, and every time map starts game rolls for one of many possibilities included in spawnlist, making every playthrough different. You can use it for enemies, weapons, pickups, powerups, activate/deactive spawners depending on conditions, lots of stuff. It's rarely used outside RPGs, but it really shines in action games, since spawnlists can be adjusted easily to skill of player or his advances through game. Difficulty scalling in action games (GOOD action games) rarely revolves around HPs and DPS, which means different spawns will result in different combat.
>>
Any more?
>>
>>388658157
Try watching some of the videos on this channel.
Especially the FO4 one deconstructs why people love to play that and skyrim so much.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhnYIvIKK_--PiJXCMKxQQ
>>
>>388650434
>games
>good
This ain't comics, nigga. Pick one and only one.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.