[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>thumbs get 2 sticks and 10+buttons >index fingers get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: ps4 controller.jpg (59KB, 980x630px) Image search: [Google]
ps4 controller.jpg
59KB, 980x630px
>thumbs get 2 sticks and 10+buttons
>index fingers get 4 shoulder buttons
>other 6 fingers just sit there

How can we make controllers more finger efficient?
>>
>not using 4 fingers for the shoulder buttons
Guitar hero made finger efficient controllers.
>>
>>388647736

There's a point where adding more buttons make the learning experience overwhelming for new players. Some would say we need LESS buttons in future game controllers, if we want games to survive.
>>
>>388647736
it's already been done, by adding paddles to the back of the controller
>>
I donno man. I feel like the DS4 is the pinacle of video game controllers. IMO you can't get any better. It's super comfortable, super easy to use, looks great. etc. The xbox 360 controller was amazing too. (xbox one Im guessing is the same)

Overall, I think we're in a golden age of controllers.
>>
File: 1502474841701.png (508KB, 648x598px) Image search: [Google]
1502474841701.png
508KB, 648x598px
>>388647736
>index fingers get 4 shoulder buttons
>mfw OP cant into claw grip
>>
>>388648213
>gigantic useless shit in the center of the controller which is only ever used as a big select button
>>
Oh fuck I forgot one thing. The one thing I truly despise about the DS4 is the fact that it uses a mini usb connector. Literal cancer keeping it connected to play PC games or charge while playing PS4. that shit constantly disconnects because Microusb is the biggest piece of shit invention in the history of man.
>>
>>388647736
>How can we make controllers more finger efficient?

Steam Controller has "millions of buttons" but that level of customisation would never be permitted on console
>>
You lack a fundamental understanding of grip.
>>
>>388648442

The touch pad can respond differently to left press, right press and touch movements. See: Witcher 3 touch pad functionality.
>>
File: steam controller.jpg (175KB, 1245x700px) Image search: [Google]
steam controller.jpg
175KB, 1245x700px
>Backpaddles like pic related (But 4 of them)
>Two bumpers instead of just one
>Maybe five face buttons instead of four
>Gyro aiming as an industry standard for controllers and for console games involving aiming

I can honestly get so many fucking buttons out of my Steam controller thanks to the trackpads. I know itd pretty much be financial suicide for any of the big 3 to be the first to adopt them but fuck me things could be improved so much.
>Doesn't suck ass to click them down like a stick
>Usually bind jump to my a click on my camera trackpad now
It's fucking NICE
>>
>>388648324
Clawgrip exemplifies the problems with the modern controller. It isn't anything to brag about you retarded weebposter
>>
>>388649178
I got a bit of a hard time having fun with FPS games on it, even casual stuff like Borderlands and L4D, its doing pretty good in skyrim tho, tweaked recommended setup a bit
>left grip is sneak
>right grip is jump
>left touchpad is 7 buttons for things like journal, changing camera etc
>right touchpad is aiming, clicking it enables gyro aiming
pretty comfy desu, but could be better, there should be more settings for friction of trackball, because of the way I am used to hold all controlers I have issues with turning and keeping my aim straight
>>
>>388649178
Ive finally acclimated to the virtual dpad while playing super metroid and i fucking love it.

Some games don't work perfectly, i cant get Godhand to feel just right, but i can get it close.

Steam controller and a more standard controller for when you can't get things perfect is the way to go.

But imo, ever single controller should have paddles, being able to jump without taking your fingers off the face is too useful.
>>
>>388649496
Go into the settings and adjust the rotation of the camera trackpad to get your liking. You can get up and down and left and right into the perfect position for the way your thumb rest on the controller

Figuring out where you like the rotation setting at is crucial to getting a handle on the steam controller.
>>
>>388648456
Tried trying another cord?
>>
>>388649734
I know, messed with it, but I still dont like it, as a product steam controler is still flawed, version 2.0 would be needed to adress some of these, it mostly comes from my experience of having it for about 4 months so take it with a grain of salt as I didnt go balls deep with modding and didnt play that many games on it other than skyrim which I am playing only with it now.
>vibrations sounding like farts
>right trackpad could use something like lines on left trackpad so you can just slide your finger along line for better aiming for example
>trackpads are too close to the buttons and thumbstick, often I press buttons and move thumbstick while sweeping on trackpads, then again, I got big hands and most controlers seem a bit too small to me
>user configuration menus are not very clear the first time you use them, a bit too much of jumping between menus to load a preset or tune a control
>gotta sit in configuration menus for games that dont support the controler out of the box, for some of them you may spend first few minutes of gameplay just tweaking your config
>only 4 presets for trackball friction, I mentioned this earlier already, I think that slider would be better as myself I would like to set it to somewhere between "medium" and "small" but I cant
just few annoyances, some can be fixed with updates, some are hardware issues, think of it what you want, just throwing my opinion out there
>>
>>388648213
Even if you think the sticks are good Dual Stage triggers and 2 sets of back paddles can still improve any controller.

>>388649178
The software for configuring the Steam Controller is pretty awful and ergonomically the stick and face buttons are a bit sketchy for my hands at least.
I really like it for 2D platformers (aside from the fact that it flips out sometimes when you're just barely on the edge of one of the trackpads) but it usually ends up feeling a bit too weird for anything else since I'm just not used to it yet for both of the reasons I named.
>>
I think Valve arrived at the best design, it just lacks a d-pad and second physical analog stick/nub.

Perhaps if the haptic technoloogy was more advanced, the d-pad could be emulated OK on the left touchpad.

The reason for a second physical analog, is for console games which don't allow mouse control instead of right joystick, for example GTA V would be perfect with all the existing button prompts, except for the desire to have mouse aim rather than analog stick aim. A touchpad is not capable of satisfactorily emulating a physical console stick.

At the end of the day most people already have an Xbone pad for awkward multiplats. The Steam Controller is perfect in FPS for me, I never use mouse & keyboard.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.