[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the most common and/or least valuable item in games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: whiteitem.png (169KB, 295x355px) Image search: [Google]
whiteitem.png
169KB, 295x355px
Why is the most common and/or least valuable item in games always marked white?
>>
It's colourless
>>
because that's how it was in diablo
>>
>>388618664
>lowest valued items are white
>most expensive items are yellow or brown
fucking ggg
>>
some old game did it and everyone just copies it
>>
>>388618664
because black text was hard to see
>>
File: 1375190598939.png (35KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1375190598939.png
35KB, 700x700px
>>388618748
Actually there was low-quality prefixes that made items even worse than base and they'd colour the item grey.
>>
>>388618753
>Brown
HHNNNNGG
>Yellow
Into the trash it goes
>>
white should be most valuable. black should be least.
>>
>>388618875
Ethereals had better stats than white and were preferred for indestructible runewords
>>
>>388618664
because just like in real life WHITE is the inferior, useless color that pushes out all the items of color!
>>
>>388619072
And they got grey too. I am referring to prefixes like "cracked."
>>
>>388618664
is the joke that those are 6-slotted? isn't that a big deal in PoE?
>>
>>388619160
That is actually the joke.
>>
White implies basic or blank slate. Aka nothing special about it except for the fact that nothing has been done to it. The good side of white is purity, but nobody wins vidya battles by leaving their weapon pure, they won by upgrading that shit.
Bronze silver gold are your basic trifecta of worth, sometimes included is platinum. For other games, blue and green are often slightly improved but not near the top. yellow and purple are both colors that imply royalty so they are often near the top. Red can often be anywhere near the top of the list because red implies power.
It's basic color theory really.
>>
>>388619160
it's a shit item base, absolutely dumpster tier garbage
it's also a mirrored copy of the one next to it so it's probably from a strongbox
"Mirrored" means it is a copy of something and you can't modify it in any single way meaning you can only sell it for 7 jews

the non-mirrored one would be worth whatever a 6link happens to be worth on a bad base so not much since rolling item stats is harder and several times more expensive than 6 linking an already good item
>>
>>388619282
Have you ever played a game with loot?
>>
>>388618664
Like vanilla ice, it's bland.
>>
gray -> white -> yellow -> orange -> red -> purple -> blue -> green at highest
>>
>>388619291
>can only sell it for 7 jews
6l sell for 1 divine, 6s sell for 7 jewelers.
>>
>>388619616
oh yeah
hard to remember when you never get any good drops :^)
>>
>>388618664
I wish they'd do away with trading. Shit takes a lot of the fun out of the game and requires drop rates to be shit for a lot of decent items since GGG assumes you'll just save up and trade for it.

I hope that grim dawn expansion will be good. Decided not to play grim dawn until it came out so i have a more complete experience. Fuck online ARPGs, i want to find my own shit but still don't want the shitty droprates of a game with trading.
>>
It's better when they follow almost a sort of spectrum with some color that breaks it at the top.

CSGO does this one well. The more colorful it is the better.
>>
>>388620317
Good catch, detective!
>>
>>388620067
This is exactly the dealbreaker for me. They could have fixed this by introducing a proper SSF league with increased droprates.

I'm excited for the GD expansion.
>>
>>388620741
>>388620067
Drop rates don't take into account trading, but the percentage chance of getting a specific item for a specific build is low enough that you'll essentially need to trade to get it in a league. More general item goals, or making a build around the items another build found, and you're far better off.
>>
>>388620067
I wish they'd give an internal trading system where your items show up if you're online and it's completely offer based with a hidden b/o (instant offer accept) and hidden minimum offer, currency for offers is reserved and can be accepted without partying/offering party being online
>>
>>388620921
What do you mean by "not taking trading into account"? The drop rates are deliberately balanced around the game being multiplayer. They expect and want you to trade. In pretty much all other ARPGs I can do reasonably well without trading because the drop rates/item variance isn't as extreme. Yes, playing self found is still possible with builds that aren't that gear dependent. Doesn't mean the problem is fixed though.
>>
>>388618903
>being this much of a noob
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.