[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>game is lauded as 10/10 almost everywhere >practically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 422
Thread images: 39

File: 82580366.png (214KB, 616x346px) Image search: [Google]
82580366.png
214KB, 616x346px
>game is lauded as 10/10 almost everywhere
>practically immune to criticism
>large change to the format is a revamped gear/loot system
>the UI is fucking terrible

why is this allowed
>>
>>388602324
It's ok
>>
Honestly I started out liking it because of the hype and the scale, and I still like it but it's starting to show it's shallowness at this point and I've only beaten the Zora boss. I like all the side stuff like getting a horse and building a house though. Hate, fucking hate weapon breakage. Cooking is okay though.
Exiting thread before spoilers.
>>
>>388603126
Smart move. Truth be told, getting spoiled has probably hurt a good amount of my motivation to play through this game. But at the same time, it's given me a chance to see the game purely for its gameness and...dude. It's so similar to Skyrim, it's not even funny. You have to seriously nitpick to claim that everything this game does is of its own merit and not taking obvious cues from Skyrim.
>>
>>388602324
whats wrong with the UI?
>>
>>388605279
It's clumsy and poorly organized.
Accomplishing one thing requires sifting back and forth across multiple categories, and most of the game's major systems rely on it completely.
>>
>>388605709
how could they make it better?
It would be a bigger clusterfuck if everything was on one page you had to scroll through.
Or if the icons were tiny so you could see all your food in one go
>>
>>388605842
Better sorting options or customization would have gone a long way. OoT had a menu split evenly into three or four categories and everything on each of them could fit on one screen. Worked way, way better.

The nature of food collecting/cooking makes something like this a lot more difficult in BotW, There's a lot of scavenging and no real threshold for what you're allowed to carry. You end up with a bunch of different items that all do the same shit and bloat the inventory for no real reason.
>>
>>388606208
oot's menu is much worse than botw's. fuck off nostalgiafag
>>
So they made Zelda, a series which I dislike due to how slow and boring the games are, even worse? I really don't get what people see in these games.
>>
>>388606301
It's really not, you Facebook raised retard.

>>388606316
Zelda is like video game Hemingway, or something. You're just kinda supposed to absorb it. The technical aspects work really well for what they're there for, too. At least in the good ones.
>>
>>388606208
OOT's menu is baddd. Even slower
>>
>>388606546
>slower

It's not, and that you would parse this as the overall negative is largely telling for why your whole generation is shit. Treat your ADD.
>>
>>388606208
>OoT's menu with BotW's amount of items
Hurrrrrr
>>
>>388602324
>>practically immune to criticism
What?
Also. Does a game truly have to be flawless to be able to receive a 10/10 score? Isn't it simply enough that it's better?

This sacred and holy standard that so many appear to adhere the 10/10 scores to, is why we've got so many 9.xx scores with decimals all over the place.
If anything we should have more games scored 10/10s in general. And then perhaps the 9, 8, and 7 scores would have more weight to them as well.
>>
>>388606610
>slow menu navigation is good I swear!
OOT fanboys are the worst

and yes it is slower, loading is pretty obvious, masked by the animations but still there
>>
>>388606628
Thank you for giving me the sum of all your thoughts so succinctly
>>
>>388606628
Its ok if you don't want to read the other half of the post. He admits it would be difficult
>>
>>388606694
The entire criticism I made of BotW's inventory is that it bogs down the actual fucking gameplay. It's EVEN SLOWER. You are retarded.
>>
>>388606610
>slow menus are good
What am I reading here? Quick and snappy menus give more time to the game itself, how is that bad?
>>
>>388606775
Oh you mean if you want to find something you want and need to scroll? If so yes I agree, but still, OOT's menus are more sluggish.
>>
>>388606671
This is absolutely retarded and the reason why the ten point rating system is completed bloated. Zelda is not a ten out of ten game, it should not receive that score.
>>
>>388606782
See >>388606775

Facebook kids are actually fucking illiterate, aren't they?
>>
Is there any Zelda that didn't have shit inventory?

LttP couldn't even do a proper fucking grid for quick cycling until you literally had all of the items ffs.
>>
>>388606872
TP HD was okay
>>
>>388606903
I preferred the item wheel in the original TP. Having to drag the item on the gamepad for the HD version got annoying. Had to pause the game or stand still in a quiet area to do it. A lot less 'on the fly' than before
>>
>>388607131
The item wheel worked pretty well tbqh. Kinda Secret of Mana-ish
>>
File: 1486261820074.jpg (293KB, 1268x840px) Image search: [Google]
1486261820074.jpg
293KB, 1268x840px
>>388602324
what drives me nuts abolut BotW is that while its not the 10/10 like everyone says it is.. It's still a good game.

But I fear that all future zelda games are going to go down this open world witcher 3 wannable route.

Open world games just tend to be less interesting than the planned semi-linear zelda experiences like OOT, MM, TP, etc.
>>
>>388607803
People don't use the word "sandbox" enough to describe these kinds of games anymore. That's all they really are. I liked Skyward Sword more cycle is real confirmed
>>
>>388607953
cycle isnt real.
I liked SS on release and i still like it. Is it better than botw? idk they both are mediocre equally.
>>
one thing I don't get, is some people think 10/10 games need to be perfect. this is not true, just because a game has a flaw, does not automatically make it a 9/10, or an 8/10.
>>
>>388602324
t. skyrimfag who thinks skyui is good
>>
>>388608486
I dunno man. I can see how it's a thing with longtime fans of the series. Ever since Wind Waker, it's been easy to look at every new game through the lens of how it's similar to the game before it and what it does better/worse by comparison, and hindsight is 20/20. Like with BotW/SS, I can see how cutting down a ton of bloat (too much) still made for a lot of good things that a game like BotW can't do. I do know that I never got bored playing it.
>>
>>388608615
Also most "flaws" are subjective
>>
>>388608798
that is is exactly why, you cant go, well this game does this, so its not a 10/10 game.

if it is a fucking great game it can be a 10/10.
>>
>>388608798
The entire premise of criticism is subjective you nincompoop
>>
>>388602324
Because criticism usually consists in going around issues that have been beyond discussed already.

I also think the game is not perfect, but what it manages to accomplish outweights its flaws by far and offers something you dont really find in other games of the similar genres. I dont know what 10/10 means but it really rethought not only zelda conventions but open world adventure games conventions and came up with something very unique.

Yes, it may lack classic type of dungeons or item progression, but this game just isnt about that. Its about interacting with an expansive environment in an organic way that puts other open world games to shame.
>>
File: miles-shrug(e).gif (92KB, 280x192px) Image search: [Google]
miles-shrug(e).gif
92KB, 280x192px
>>388602324
The game has tons of problems that are overlooked because it's Zelda while getting praised to the heavens as an innovative masterpiece.

Get used to it.
>>
>>388609130
fuck, I should be by now. this is the first time I've ever looked at one from the other side of the fence. still genuinely love the games in this series that are actually good throughout
>>
It's a pretty good game, I didn't like the weapon durability thing at first, but I kinda like finding new weapons every now and then. Plus having no durability on some weapons would break the game.
>>
I love the game, but I dunno how the hell it's a full 10. Weapon durability and breaking is inexcusable shit and will always be shit. Uncovering treasure in a vidya should be a delightful experience, even if it's unusable stuff you're gonna sell later. If opening a treasure chest makes me sigh and roll my eyes because it's yet another weapon I'm gonna lose forever after three battles, then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>388602324
I thought it was great. I mean, if you're going to make a thread you might as well explain why it's bad.
>>
>>388610428
What is it about weapons breaking that makes people go full autism? It's functionally no different from killing enemies to pick up their ammo.
>>
>>388610428
>unusable selling fodder is better than a weapon you'll use for a bit
>>
>>388603126
SPOILERS YOU SAVE ZELDA AND BEAT GANON
>>
>>388608798
The game runs like shit and looks like a 360 launch game. That's not subjective.
>>
>>388602324

I think my only major complaint is the dungeons (which is the best part of a Zelda game to me) fucking suck in botw. They all have the ascetics and beats which is lame as hell. I also wish you had more story interactions with non-npc characters. you basically just go through the same dungeon and fuck off.
>>
>>388611058
It runs perfectly on my WiiU, and I don't know of any 360 games that look like that.
>>
File: S1E10A_Linc_talks_to_audience.png (3MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
S1E10A_Linc_talks_to_audience.png
3MB, 1920x1090px
>>388610951
>using a weapon for a bit is better than having money to help further your game progress
>>
>>388611523
Depends what game we're talking about.
If we're talking about Zelda specifically, you never need money to progress. Everything you need to finish the game is found in the dungeons.
In other games what are you gonna spend the money on? A weapon you'll use until you get to the next weapon shop? Wowsers
>>
>>388610428
>Weapon durability and breaking is inexcusable shit
If weapons didn't have durability people would be complaining about the game being to easy. Especially with Wind Cleavers, Royal Weapons, Champion Weapons, Elemental Swords, etc.
>>
>>388606671
What the fuck? People like you and the autistic manchildren that freak out whenever their favorite game doesn't get an absurdly high score is why reviewing games went to shit.
>>
>>388609130
>because its zelda
because it does thing right, and what most people complain about boils dont to a subjective opinion rather than a legit flaw
>I DONT LIKE WEAPONS DEGRADATION!!!, SO DEGRADATION IS A FLAW!!!!
>>
>>388610881
What is it about autismos trying so damn hard to defend every shit decision nintendo makes?
>>
>>388612565
>it's shit because I don't like it!
>>
>>388612565
>What is it about autismos trying so damn hard to attack every decision nintendo makes?
>>
>>388611713
People already complain the game is easy. Combat is pretty tedious and awful all around in BotW.
>>
>>388602324
Zelda games are literally held to a lower standard
>>
>>388606671
lmao, neckbeards..
>>
>>388612717
Yeah, nah
>>
>>388612717
But it has a 10/10 so it can't be bad.
>>
>>388612849
The only time it's enjoyable is in the beginning, where you don't realize yet just how pointless it is and cheesing the ever loving shit out of it isn't possible.
>>
>>388612984
>cheesing
>at all
Bet you used magic and ran past every enemy in dark souls eh?
>>
>>388602324
Fucking 10/10, deal with it, autist
>>
>>388602324
I am almost certain it's because it was designed for the Wii U gamepad first, then clumsily reworked for one screen after they decided it would be a Switch launch title. I'm still mad the Wii U version got gutted to prevent it from being the superior version.
>>
>>388613049
>not cheesing shitty worthless enemies that drop garbage and only exist to perpetuate a cycle of breaking and acquiring weapons
Dark Souls had worthwhile combat that actually had proper risk vs reward. They also fucked your shit up most of the time if you ignored them, unlike the benign background scenery enemies in BotW.
>>
>>388613223
>worthwhile combat
>dark souls
>roll roll roll oh shit hitbox glitch
>roll roll roll sprint oops time for boss
>roll roll roll poke roll roll roll
Funny guy anon.

Only bloodborne had worthwhile combat in all the souls games
>>
I own a Switch and have played both of the versions available. The game is a hard 7/10. It's far from perfect and it's Nintendo only JUST catching up with the industry now.
>>
>>388602324
The menus are very annoying to navigate in.
You can see they were designed with the Wii U gamepad in mind. If you could use the menus in the gamepad like in WWHD, it would be great.
>>
>>388612717
>People already complain the game is easy
You're right about that, I forgot to mention the food. I wish they atleast did it like MonHun and made it where your character had to actually eat the food. But removing weapon durability would actually break the game, and make it way easier than it already is. I also disagree with you on the combat. I think it's pretty fun, every encounter can kill you, including starting enemies, which I personally like. Not to mention using boomerangs, and the stealth parts.
>>
>>388612717
Problem I have with the combat is that it gets old very quickly. Once you beat your first lynel it's all downhill from there. The game needed to introduce new enemy types and new situations to deal with to keep things fresh. BotW's level of content variety wouldn't be a problem for a 10-20 hour game, but it's a 70-100+ hour game.
>>
>>388613448
Nice blog, liked and subscribed
>>
>>388611713
Well, it's not like it isn't easy already, the combat is not all that complicated. Not that guy, BTW

One thing that bothers me is that weapons that are supposed to be well made or mythical break pretty fast, which takes away a bit of their "wow" factor.

That, and hunting Silver Lynels just isn't fun, it takes absurdly long, normally costing me three full weapons, to take them down, with a moveset that's hardly threatening. Really, not trying to show off, for what it's supposed to be one of the harder regular enemies his movement is oddly limited. Makes it all a drag.
>>
File: soji.png (98KB, 219x299px) Image search: [Google]
soji.png
98KB, 219x299px
>>388612561
>because it does thing right

And also things wrong.
Don't kid yourself, if it was called Adventure boy in adventure land and had nothing to do with Zelda it wouldn't even receive half as much praise and the problems wouldn't be as overlooked.
>>
>>388613538
This is a forum for discussion anon. If you have questions, I'll answer them. It's a not a shitpost, I was playing BOTW today actually. It's just far from perfect and incredibly overrated.
>>
>>388613606
Nice blog, liked and subscribed. We all needed to know your opinion
>>388613601
>muh legend of belda
>>
>>388613601
Zelda name only helped to bring its attention to main stream, the Nintendo Bonus is just an excuse asshurt people use to undermine Nintendo Success,
>>
>>388613513
This. Only I'd argue that's a problem with every single aspect of the game. It's great when you first start, but it gets so repetitive and tedious far faster than it should have. The only thing I ended up liking by the time I dropped it was the scenery. It does a great job of making you want to explore, only to crush those hopes and expectations.
>>
>>388613601
And do you have any proof of that? Open world sandboxes are generally well received, as long as there is some level of polish
>>
>>388613638
God Nintendo fanboys are such manchildren. I just imagine you shaking in public when you hear someone bad mouthing Nintendo.
>>
>>388612561
>>I DONT LIKE WEAPONS DEGRADATION!!!, SO DEGRADATION IS A FLAW!!!!

It actually is though.
In a game like Dead Rising it makes sense because it ties into numerous aspects of the game in terms of design, in BotW it doesn't.
This is what people mean when they say that fans just handwave away the problems BotW has.
>>
File: 1482562085744.jpg (59KB, 641x640px) Image search: [Google]
1482562085744.jpg
59KB, 641x640px
>>388613860
>weapons degradation in middle age based timeline with magic makes non sense
>>
>>388613849
>all that projection
Yet here you are, talking to someone who is supposedly a manchild. Enjoy your stay, anon!
>>
>>388613860
>Dead Rising it makes sense because it ties into numerous aspects of the game in terms of design
How? Because they're improvised stuff you find around?
>>
>>388613860
It's almost the same. Both of the games use degradation heavily for balance. If it's not degradation it's ammo or fuel or something.
>>
File: dndf.png (187KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
dndf.png
187KB, 500x333px
>>388613703
>just an excuse asshurt people use to undermine Nintendo Success,

This reminds me of the delusional nintendo fanboys in that Ace Combat 7 thread that claimed the world is against Nintendo in a huge conspiracy.
Fucking lol.

>>388613710
>And do you have any proof of that? Open world sandboxes are generally well received, as long as there is some level of polish

So you're saying if it didn't have the Zelda name it would receive just as much praise, be heralded as a masterpiece, etc?
Funny. Call me when you stop being delusional.
>>
>>388613589
Anyone who isn't terrible at video games had no problems with the lynels. They're so easy to cheese with mount and flurry rush it's absurd.
The problems with the combat really shine through the more you progress, as the only thing Nintendo did was give them stupid amounts of health, making them even more of a pain in the ass to fight normally. Hard mode is just an embarrassment in this regard. The combat is fundamentally broken, yet the only thing they can keep thinking of is to add more health and regen of all things.
>>
>>388613938
Not that anon, but yes. Practically everything is a weapon.
>>
>>388613979
Jesus still salty? Unless you can provide proof otherwise it's just your own delusion anon
>>
>>388612561
Just because you refuse to accept that criticism doesn't mean it's wrong. Fanboys and autists have a hard time grasping this.
>>
>>388614014
easy =/= broken
Might as well call the combat in all the zeldas broken

>>388614105
But no criticism is objectively right unless it ties into framerate or camera. People can think hat the aspect being criticized does not bother them. I personally hate durability but I can see why people enjoy that
>>
>>388614105
unless its a wide accepted problem, most "problems" in BotW boil down to
>I dont like it, so its bad!!!"
>>
>>388614209
Combat isn't broken simply because it's easy, it's broken because of its cumulative flaws. There's no real risk, there's no real reward, enemies can be cheesed into oblivion via a variety of methods, the only reason they exist is to have you break your weapons on them and collect theirs, you can easily avoid just about every single enemy in the game with no downsides, the variety is garbage, they only become more of a pain and chore to fight as time goes on, cooking trivializes everything, so does decent armor, durability is a chore to manage and rips any sense of reward or accomplishment from the player, so and so forth.
>>
>>388613916
>>weapons degradation in middle age based timeline with magic makes non sense

???
Are you saying that weapons break as easily IRL? Bringing in realism is a stupid argument.

>>388613938
>>Dead Rising it makes sense because it ties into numerous aspects of the game in terms of design
>How? Because they're improvised stuff you find around?

DR is a game where the premise is that you're dropped in a mall full of zombies. In movies it was inspired by people used pretty much anything as a weapon while also goofing around (to dress up and just fuck around).
DR takes this idea and amps it up.
You can run around as a fat guy in a dress whacking people with all manner of shit. You can also find different items and combine them into even crazier and more powerful stuff. If a weapon breaks pretty much anything can be used as a weapon and it's right there next to you, you don't have to enter any menus or anything, just pick it up and go.

If you had only a handful of weapons like say a hammer or a gun the game would not only quickly become boring, but you would ask yourself "why can't i go to the gardening shop and swap out my shitty knife for a hedge trimmer?" or "why can't i go to the hunting shop and get a hunting rifle instead of my 9mm handgun?", etc.
It not only fits in thematically, it also services the gameplay. I mean you could go even deeper why it is the perfect system for DR.

Now tell me why it is such an amazing design decision in BotW?

>>388613962
>It's almost the same

Not even close, read the above.
>>
>>388605842
Tiered list that only showed labels until selected, simplifying food and components for better stacks. Smaller icons for gear. 8x10 or whatever instead of 5x4 like some retarded shit.
>>
>>388614354
You can think a widely accepted opinion does not apply to you.

I loved the Micolash fight in Bloodborne but many hate it. That does not change my opinion that it is a good fight in any way
>>
>>388614354
Durability has been widely criticized by a lot of people, whether you refuse to accept that or not.
>>
>>388614102
>Jesus still salty? Unless you can provide proof otherwise it's just your own delusion anon

Oh yes, you're asking for proof in the form of me altering history while at the same time avoiding to answer the question I asked you (because you can't answer it).
Fucking retard.
>>
File: zelda.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zelda.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>388614354
>>I dont like it, so its bad!!!"

So the shit story, underwhelming as fuck dungeons, bad bosses and atrocious last boss, etc. are not issues?

You're right, BotW is a masterpiece. Only contrarian retards disagree!
>>
>>388614354
Why was a durability system necessary in Zelda? How did it improve the overall gameplay?
>>
>>388607803
I really hope they don't take notes from witcher 3 for the future zelda games.
>>
>>388614768
>I really hope they don't take notes from witcher 3 for the future zelda games.

I really hope future Zelda games don't take note from BotW.
>>
>>388614209
It gets to a point where people simply refuse to compromise. People could say they love ET for the Atari for all that matters and they still wouldn't be wrong.
Personally I think it's simply a result of people wanting to defend a poor decision more than anything. They loved that this game got obscenely high scores and herald it as a justification of their own biases. It's exactly like what sony fanboys did with TLoU.
If durability was cut from the game during development, the fanboys would mindlessly praise whatever took it's place, whether it's better or worse. It's not about durability.
>>
>>388611713
Or Nintendo could've implemented a scaling system to continually introduce increasingly dangerous enemies into the environment as you collected more and more weapons which are locked by increasingly difficult instanced proc-gen'd dungeons or some shit.

Instead you get weapons that break and then justify laziness and excuse it too.
>>
The funny thing is that BotW's system is basically an extension of WW's enemy weapons system. It works out about the same too. It's novel at first and fun in a small dose but eventually you stop enjoying it. Except WW made it mandatory for one small section but optional everywhere else, and BotW made it mandatory for the whole game with a whole bunch of tedious inventory management thrown in.
>>
>>388603126
>>388603674
what could even get spoiled? This isn't metal gear or something.
>>388611014
WHOA!

Biggest spoiler its a zelda game that encourages sequence breaking. That alone is pretty cool. The only spoilers would probably come from some cool sidequests that are completely optional.

In fact what are some cool sidequests? I liked the one about the sand and snow shoes. I also liked the one about the island at the bottom right of the map. I also liked another one I don't remember but it was kind of silly and cute.
>>
>>388614517
>no real risk
Depends. Setting you back a few minutes can be a risk for some
>no real reward
Also depends. Monster parts can be sold to buy new shit like arrows or upgrade armour
>durability is a chore that rips any sense of reward or accomplishment
I actually disagree with that. I feel accomplished when I get a better return on my weapon, which is pretty often as I usually only break one weapon per camp. I also feel accomplished going in and taking out enemies with their own weapons only and breaking none of mine.
>more of a pain and chore
That's wrong though. You get stronger and get better weapons as you go along, it's actually less of a "chore" to fight because they can go down faster
>cheesed to oblivion
The prime cheesing methods require you to get parts from enemies, mainly stealth and strength elixers, or weapons like bows and arrows.
>cooking trivailzes everything, and so does armour
So once again it's difficulty
>variety is garbage
That's true
>easily avoid enemies with no downsides
I actually can't think of much of those examples? You can sneak around camps but once they spot you even the bokoblins chase you pretty far
>>
>>388614934
BotW's weapons system*
>>
>>388614645
I actually really liked the dungeons, and the story wasn't shit, but wasn't amazing either

>>388614697
Balance, I guess. And breaking shit on enemies are fun
>>
>>388614872
Then you fags would whine about how you feel you aren't getting any stronger, like with any game with scaling
>>
>>388613589
Anon you replied to here, I agree. I feel like the Lynels should've had different patterns, rather than just being damage sponges. For example, how they shoot bows upward in hopes of shooting you when you're behind cover. More stuff like that would've been better.
>>
>>388614976
>silver anything
>going down faster
Yeah, nah
>>
>>388615024
>I actually really liked the dungeons, and the story wasn't shit, but wasn't amazing either

It's one of the weakest Zelda stories. You'd have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find something worse.
The dungeons are also some of the worst in series history.

If they cut down on this idiotic quantity over quality approach it would've been a much better game. But since people praised BotW they will probably just push Zelda further down this line.
>>
>>388615105
>Urbosa's fury is ready!
>spin attack with increased stamina
Yes
>>
>>388615149
>weakest zelda stories
I preferred it to all zelda plots except for OOT, MM and WW
>dungeons are some of the worst
Honestly I like the puzzles in them the most among all the dungeons. If only they were longer and looked different, then I would be happy
>>
>>388615090
You're right, so we'll put a curve in there, so at the very end game you're more powerful than your enemies, noticeably so. Definitely would've been more rewarding than the fragments of shit that the dungeons offered in the release. Could've even used it to fluff the story and it would've been a boon for a NG+ feature.
>>
Game has plenty of flaws but weapon durability and breaking is not one of them.
>>
>>388614645
>So the shit story, underwhelming as fuck dungeons, bad bosses and atrocious last boss, etc. are not issues?
Agreed. Things like this really show how bad the game really is. It's not awful, but it's not great.
>>
>>388614976
A few minutes is nothing in an open world game and that's all you lose. Selling monster parts is ultimately made irrelevant by the fact that combat is irrelevant. Even if you do want to just fight the same enemies over and over again with limited movesets and abilities, selling monster parts for upgrades just makes fighting even easier than it already is.

>You can sneak around camps but once they spot you even the bokoblins chase you pretty far
The point was that you don't have to fight those enemies at all, for any reason. You can safely ignore practically every single enemy in the game and still go up against ganon more than adequately equipped.

I could not disagree more with durability. One of the biggest moments in the game where I realized I was going to hate it, was finding that flame sword above the waterfall. The accomplishment of figuring out the riddle and discovering an awesome weapon for my trouble was crushed almost instantly as I realized it would just quickly break if I used it. Instead I saved it for a special occasion that never came. In the end I simply mounted it my house.
>>
>>388615358
>very end game
That's kind of like what happens here? Armour upgrades take pretty long. I do agree harder enemies would be great, but what you suggest seems to be what is already here, except delayed.
>>
>>388615024
The story was pretty shit. The ending was beyond shit.
>>
>>388602324
Honestly it's the Zelda I have the most complaints about but that doesn't mean it's the worst Zelda to me. It's a weird feeling. Basically on one hand it feels utterly amazing but but on the other it has a plethora of things I wish were done better.

I think it's a case of when something approaches its ideal form the flaws stand out even more than they usually would and you notice every little thing that could be improved upon. I'm fascinated with how they will try to top this considering Aonuma said open design is the new standard for now.
>>
>>388605709
This has never been a problem for me.
>>
>>388615465
About your durability part it is really funny how much opinions differ. I found that finding weapons scattered around are more rewarding with the durability system in place because you know the weapon will be useful at some point of time.

And the thing is beating ganon is not all there is to see, unless all you care about is to see the credits. The ganon blights require you to have quite some sturdy weapons, for example.
>>
>>388614872
You can still cheese the fights with a WC's charge, exploiting the enemies weakness with EW's, and kite with GBM's. Making those permanent would break the game.
>>
>>388615154
>cheesing enemies with a massive AoE attack with a huge cooldown justifies the existence of shitty silver enemies
Nah
>>
>>388615482
It's not though. The dungeons aren't present so there is no power gate mechanic, you can pick up the strongest gear willy nilly without ever doing any of the content.

Conversely you could have the aforementioned dungeons power gating the gear and triggering increasingly difficult enemies to spawn while using it as lore fluff, making it story relevant instead of the shitty 'temples' being the only features mentioned in the story. Then you wouldn't need the wear mechanic.
>>
>>388615552
Nice elaboration here. I mainly liked the story because it was non-intrusive yet was present if you wanted some background. I hated the overuse of cinematic in twilight princess and skyward sword. Although there was little memories, I think all the memories are pretty well-made and written. Zelda also got pretty nice development that is not undone at the end like in Wind Waker. Overall I think the story that is there is good, but more memories would do no harm.

The ending boss was pretty shit but I thought the actual ending was inoffensive. It's kind of the "you head off to a new adventure" ending that I personally don't mind in media.
>>
>>388615754
Yeah but as everything breaks the strongest weapons are not permanent. The main form of the inverted difficulty curve comes not from weapons, but hearts, stamina and armour.
>>
>>388615643
Let's not pretend like charge systems haven't existed in RPGs since... Forever? You have limited use of them and can only charge them in town.

But let's not pretend like the combat in this game was even remotely pleasing, it was easy and droll without even a hint of soul in it, so adding a 'cheese' method is just kinda whatever.
>>
>>388602324
>why is this allowed

Nin10yearolds don't know any better.
Its like if World of Warcraft was your very first MMO and you were blown away by the scale and the environments you can explore, and the dozens people around you.
>>
>>388615652
The spin to win is even more OP than waifu's fury, which irritates me because Urbosa's weapon is bad as well. She gave the most useless ability and weapon
>>
>>388615638
>I found that finding weapons scattered around are more rewarding with the durability system in place because you know the weapon will be useful at some point of time.
This is a poor justification. Using that logic, any weapon could be useful at any point in time regardless of whether it breaks or not. The only difference is durability outright forces you to use them, taking away player agency and choice.

>The ganon blights require you to have quite some sturdy weapons, for example.
Which you can still get without ever needing to fight any other enemy.
Not like you'd even have to fight the blights before the end. All they do is make an easy let down of a final boss even easier.
>>
>>388615876
>without a hint of soul
What the fuck does this even mean?
Easy combat can also be enjoyable. That's why musuo games are so popular.
>>
File: 169029.jpg (95KB, 635x599px) Image search: [Google]
169029.jpg
95KB, 635x599px
Please grow up
>>
>>388615968
>Easy combat can also be enjoyable. That's why musuo games are so popular.

Musou games are made for trash players to feel empowered.
It's very little differencet from idiots going to watch Bayformers for explosions.
>>
>>388602324
Yeah, the UI was one of my main issues with the game and it was tedious having to keep going back and forth to cook meals and such.
Hero mode just makes this shit even more tedious.
>>
>>388615982
no, feminism is to blame
they wanted to work long hours in the office to get promotions like the guys, well now they can
>>
File: 1-1396450579-20.gif (1005KB, 277x300px) Image search: [Google]
1-1396450579-20.gif
1005KB, 277x300px
>>388615982
>men are at fault
>not the women
>article written by a woman
>>
>>388615847
>hearts stamina armor
So the most boring features of character building are now at the forefront of the character's means to defeat enemies?

That jusr registers as bad development to me. Like I get wanting to be able to tank some hits, dish them out and absorb them, but I also want better combat, I want to feel like I'm bringing the pain, not playing pretend with some sticks and stones that fall apart every ten seconds. Plus going that route makes the enemies increasingly boring to fight, trading out that for damage seems like it'd be more fun.
>>
>>388615938
>using that logic
Actually no. It's like in skyrim, when you find another sword but it's never used because the weapon you have is permanent and useful
>durability forces you to do them
That's my point all along. That's why I find the weapons you find randomly more rewarding, as you will be using them
>taking away player agency and choice
While that is true, I don't think it hurt the game that much
>which you can still get without ever needing to fight
Well you can try grabbing weapons from isolated chests, but they won't let you past all 4 blights + the random skirmishes you meet along the way.
>not that you even have to fight
That is only if you only care about ending the game for some reason. Usually you want to experience as much of the game as possible, no? If you don't why even play the game?
>>
>>388615778
I felt like the story couldn't have been any more anti-climactic, both in terms of having everything explained in a giant exposition straight from the start, and at the end where you just walk off. I didn't like any of the characters involved in the memories as Link's connection to them felt shallow and lacking. I hated the voice acting. And despite its brevity, there were a plethora of stupid elements still present. I thought the ghosts were a copout. Didn't like that nobody seemed to recognize or give a shit that the world was on the brink of destruction. Etc etc.

It would have been a far better story if it took place 100 years in the past.
>>
>>388615968
The combat felt very two bit. It was easy and sterile. I don't know how to describe it other than soulless.
>>
>>388616208
>forefront of the character's means to defeat enemies
Yes, like all RPGs with lstats
>>
File: sadgasd.jpg (105KB, 941x850px) Image search: [Google]
sadgasd.jpg
105KB, 941x850px
>actually had more fun with horizon than botw because in horizon the combat wasn't fucking trash
>>
>>388614697
>How did it improve the overall gameplay?
balance, exploration, item management,
>>
>>388615876
>Let's not pretend like charge systems haven't existed in RPGs since... Forever?
When did I say that wasn't done before, and what do RPGs have to do with this game?
>You have limited use of them and can only charge them in town.
I don't think we're on the same page here, the WC (Wind Cleaver) allows you to do a charge attack (Holding the attack button), that sends off a projectile, and does a good bit of damage, you can do this literally anywhere. Making the WC permanent would break the game.
>But let's not pretend like the combat in this game was even remotely pleasing
It was pleasing to me, I wanted a game where I can use my surrounding to my advantage, and BoTW delivered.
>it was easy and droll without even a hint of soul in it
That doesn't make sense. It felt pretty soulful to me.
>>
>>388613860
Sorry to trail off, but what's a good DR to start with?
>>
>>388616334
I don't know that you could say that they all follow that balance model explicitly, though, there are many different means to accommodate a number of different ends. Personally I think it would be more enjoyable if the combat was more visceral and realistic than something where you just grab increasingly more vitality for more hearts to no end, effectively rendering you the impenetrable ward of the world, more armor to make sure you can tank those hits, more stamina so you can block forever. Just registers as too forgiving. It's why I only ever upgraded my heart once.
>>
>>388616252
>anti-climatic
I agree with that. The story doesn't feel urgent. But not all stories have to be urgent. I liked the slow, non-intrusive pacing of the story
>I didn't like any of the characters involved in the memories as Link's connection to them felt shallow and lacking
All of you are pretty strongly connected to Zelda, and worked together and still works together as a team, Link is simply treated as a member of that team. It doesn't make that much sense for the connection to be super strong between you and them, except for Mipha.
>I hated the voice acting
I enjoyed it in french, which was my first playthrough. On english I am fine withou everyone except Zelda and Ruji.
>ghosts were a copout
For what?
>nobody seems to recognize or give a shit
That's pretty wrong. Plenty of NPCs express concern, fear, anger or curiousity, especially the longer-lived zoras
>>
>>388616363
>balance, exploration, item management,

Prior Zelda games all had these things.
How did a ton of breakable trash make the game more fun to explore? It's a variation on loot that makes your weapons less special and meaningful. Even Dragon Quest Builders had better durability and item progression.
It also only added to your item management without making it any more enjoyable. In fact the UI wouldn't have been as as big of an issue if it wasn't for breakable trash.
>>
>>388616339
But ranged combat is better in BOTW and Horizon melee is just as mediocre than BOTW melee
>>
>>388616218
>but it's never used because the weapon you have is permanent and useful
The huge difference here is that is your choice. You are consciously making the choice that you don't want to use that weapon anymore for whatever arbitrary reason; whether its stats, appearance, moveset, whatever.

>as you will be using them
Nobody is preventing you from using any other weapon you got in other RPGs. You simply choose not to do so. How can you spin that lack of choice into something beneficial?
Besides, there are plenty of RPGs out there that know how to make weapons relevant in terms of strength throughout the game, no matter how weak they initially are.

>but they won't let you past all 4 blights + the random skirmishes you meet along the way
Not if you've been collecting them the entire time. And again, random skirmishes can completely be avoided very easily.

I care about the middle and ending because that's where BotW fell flat on its face. It was great at first when everything was new and fresh. Once you figure out just how much of its is repetitive, or tedious fluff, the experience tanks quickly. The best thing about the game is how it can deceive you into thinking anything is worth exploring based off of its beautiful scenery.
>>
Weapon storage chest in BotW when??
>>
It's such a lazy fucking design.
Look at some of the other UIs were getting this year--Persona 5 and Danganronpa v3 ooze style and developer care from their interfaces

BotWs UI literally looks like an in-progress Unreal project.
>>
>>388616651
No it didn't. Previous zeldas had horrible balance, with only one weapon being used at all.
>>
File: off the record_02.jpg (232KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
off the record_02.jpg
232KB, 1280x720px
>>388616549
>but what's a good DR to start with?

1 and 2 are the only good ones.
The best version of 2 is DEAD RISING 2 Off The Record.
The best versions are either on PC or the re-releases on PS4.

Either game is a fine starting point, some prefer 1 over 2, others the opposite.
>>
>>388616369
You do know what a charge system is, right? The weapon essentially has a mana stat which can only be recharged by an NPC in a town presumably for some rupees. Since you can pick up Wind Cleavers anyways I don't see why you couldn't just farm them until you effectively had a permanent collection anyways.
>>
>>388616339
>Not using the game's physics to your advantage in combat
You played it wrong m8.
>>
Its another
>This system is bad and I have no idea how to fix it
Thread
>>
>>388616683
>But ranged combat is better in BOTW

Factually incorrect. The melee is better in BotW, but the ranged combat in Horizon (as well as the enemies) are 100x better in Horizon.
Horizon is focused on ranged combat mainly.
>>
>>388616791
What? By default, using only one weapon would make the game far easier to balance. Previous Zelda's all had enemies gradually become stronger and more varied as time went on.
BotW just throws damage sponge recolors at you.
>>
>>388602324
seems kind of par for the course of other zelda games
there isn't really a good way to handle what it sets out to accomplish

they tried with the contextual held weapon switching systems, but it's still clumsy
>>
>>388616791
>Previous zeldas had horrible balance, with only one weapon being used at all.

How is this inferior weapon balance? You think more weapons means "better balance"?
So if the older games had breakable weapons you had to constantly pick up they would be objectively better games?
Your tools also serve as weapons in the oldergames, nimrod.
>>
>>388616701
>you simply choose not to do so
Exactly, that's why weapons you find in other RPGs are fucking useless once you get a better one. Because any sane person would stick to the better one, always. Even if a weapon can be relevant throughout, it will always outclass or be outclassed by another, permanently
>spin into something beneficial
No spin needed. It simply makes finding weapons more rewarding to me. Of course there are other ways to do so but as it is in the game it does make it more rewarding
>not if you have been collecting them the entire time
From where though. There are pretty little random chests that contain only weapons, and you likely have to fight to get to them anyway.
>>
File: 1501282732732.jpg (8KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
1501282732732.jpg
8KB, 197x256px
SAD!!
>>
File: 1503619864815.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1503619864815.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
>>388602324
>>
>>388616923
>ranged combat is better in horizon
>bows feel weak as fuck
>no or no little arrow drop remove another layer of strategy
>aiming is worse because of lack of gyro, thus the lock on is greater
>only 3 types of bows, which is similar to botw
>arrow variety is only slightly above botw
I don't know I just didn't really like the bows in horizon. Felt kind of like guns.
>>
>>388617104
>>388617116
You fags are the equivalent of Sony's rabid TLoU fanbase. It's the exact same shit.
>>
File: 1501827807404.jpg (47KB, 583x583px) Image search: [Google]
1501827807404.jpg
47KB, 583x583px
>>388617104
Save this one faggot >>388617116
>>
>>388617005
if the older games had any use for weapons or attacks beyond the master sword they would be objectively better games
The tools are also always clunky as fuck to use and you would better off by spamming your sword. Ball and chain and hookshot are prime examples of being worse than the sword unless they are mandatory, which isn't often at all. The biggron sword is also literally inferior to your master sword in every way, meaning that there is no reason to even find it. Same with the goron punches in majora's mask. All ruined by how good the master sword is. That's not good balance at all, although I am not claiming BOTW is perfect in balance either
>>
>>388617171

i already did nigger

salt in 4k

>>388617160

TLOU was a good game too, you fags only enjoy weebshit/waifu simulators and capcha or whatever the fuck it is cell phone games.
>>
>>388617160
How is it the same? Sure they're both rabid fan bases but it's pretty well established that a game being "cinematic" is a negative. BotW is a lot pure exploration and gameplay while TLoU is riddled with walk and talk. Even if you don't like the direction BotW is taking zelda, it's still got better gameplay than TLoU
>>
>>388616835
>Since you can pick up Wind Cleavers anyways I don't see why you couldn't just farm them until you effectively had a permanent collection anyways
You could do that, but they break pretty easily, and the enemies you face to farm them aren't really worth the effort. As they require you to go through a good bit of arrows, or weapons.
>>
>>388617046
There are a lot of reasons why someone might choose weaker weapons in an RPG. Again, it's also not the case that initially weak weapons are always worthless. DD is a good example of this, where the starting weapon can become one of the strongest. This is a common mechanic and trope in many RPGs.

I don't know how it's rewarding finding a weapon you like only to know you're going to lose it if you use it, or how finding the same weapons over and over again is exciting in any way, but alright.

Weapons are scattered about everywhere. If you thoroughly explore Hyrule Castle, you could find enough strong weapons laying around to take on Ganon from that alone. If you absolutely for whatever reason need to engage an enemy for their weapon, there are a plethora of ways to cheese that so you they drop it with very little time or effort involved.
>>
>>388602324
Skyrim made it clear that nobody knows how to identify a good UI.
>>
>>388617303
>TLOU was a good game
>game
Good joke
>>
>>388616827
I see.
From what I've heard Off the Record changes the MC for the one of the first game. What makes it better?
>>
>>388617382
>but it's pretty well established that a game being "cinematic" is a negative
Not to them it isn't, and that's the point. Both fanbases are the same in their refusal of criticism and their heralding of an above average game at best getting obscene reviews in order to confirm their own biases.
>>
>>388617580
>look I posted again! xD
>>
>>388617815
Prove me wrong fagola
>>
>>388614537
You know nothing about UIs nigger
>>
File: miphafu.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
miphafu.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>388602324
The past 2 years I haven't been able to get through more than 30 minutes of any single player game. Generic trash, fetch quests up the ass, quest markers and handholding for everything.

I watched all the treehouse videos for botw and I thought it looked like dogshit. No idea why I even bought the game but I guess I was bored. Glad I did though cause it revived my faith in single player games. I played 20 hours non stop when I first loaded it up and it's definitely worthy of game of the year if not of all time.

Bought nier after beating zelda after 200+ hours and dropped it after playthrough B because I just couldn't get over invisible walls and not being able to climb wherever I wanted to go.
>>
>>388617490
Yeah but my point is no matter how good a starting weapon can become, it always, and always, will outclass every weaker weapon.

Also for the second point I see how you don't like it, but I think I'm not alone in my opinion, and neither are you.

For the last point I mean more of the blights, you see. The weapons in the castle also break pretty easily (royal weapons and such), so they can last you maybe just ganon and some Yiga guys

I agree that the game is too easy, and a really challenging mode can give the game great benefits. If you want an enemy to drop a weapon easily you need shock arrows, which must be found from lynels as they are so rarely found in chests, or require much rupees to buy

Anyway don't bother replying to this post as I have to be off for work soon, but it was nice chatting with you. Have a nice day!
>>
>>388617497
Certainly you don't know either.
>>
>>388617924
autism
>>
>>388607661
Secret of Mana had a garbage UI.
>>
>>388605709
Press the D-pad buttons to switch between weapons/shields/arrows/bows. You should only enter the main menu if you want to eat something or save.
>>
>>388617924
So you didn't like The Witcher 3?
>>
I think the only thing I would want from the UI is being able to save gear sets or have a favourites page
>>
>>388611713
>Wind Cleavers are considered OP
Huh? Is there something I'm missing? They always seemed meh to me.
>>
>>388602324
I got bored and never finished as I didn't know what to do, it was too much in my hands not linear.
>>
>>388617984
>Yeah but my point is no matter how good a starting weapon can become, it always, and always, will outclass every weaker weapon.
Doesn't seem like you've played DD, so I'll just say that any weapon in that game is viable and can have unique benefits. The rust weapons becoming some of the strongest weapons in the game isn't even in the stat sense. They simply inflict an incredibly powerful ailment with high probability.

You don't necessarily need shock arrows. A heavy club, deku leaf, or just a regular arrow to the head can knock them into the air and get them to drop their weapons without having to finish them off.

>Anyway don't bother replying to this post as I have to be off for work soon, but it was nice chatting with you. Have a nice day!
Welp, had already started to respond before I read this.
Enjoyed the debate, anon. Have a good one.
>>
>>388617683
OTR has a shittier story (Frank West is overrated) but more weapons, items, the camera (best part of Frank) and a new area, a theme park. DESU I'd suggest playing 1 > 2 > OTR.
>>
File: 1502503021706.webm (426KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1502503021706.webm
426KB, 1024x576px
>>388618097
Nope. I don't really hate it, it was just quite boring for me. One of my favorite parts of botw was that quests had no markers. It made me actually care about the quest because I needed to understand why I was doing it in the first place just to figure out what the location/item I needed was. After following my witcher sense for about an hour I just lost interest. I'm sure it's a good game but just not for me. I like it when a game challenges me.

Also in MY opinion I find botw's combat insanely fun. Killing my first lynel felt amazing after mastering the combat. Witcher 3 combat on the other hand made me feel like a slug so I avoided combat as much as I possibly could.
>>
>>388618452
>One of my favorite parts of botw was that quests had no markers.
Wat.
>>
>>388618452
I think witcher combat can be pretty deep but moving and attacking feels like absolute fucking shit
>>
>>388618520
I guess he meant the side quests? Also the markers usually lead to the general location of a place, not the exact location, and most importantly of all there is no red line leading to it
>>
File: 1b5.jpg (281KB, 1756x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1b5.jpg
281KB, 1756x1080px
>>388618520
Almost all sidequest map markers only marked the quest giver. It never marked where you actually had to go on the map or where the item you need is, only where you needed to return to after finishing the quest. So if you didn't pay attention to the quest dialogue you would never be able to finish a sidequest unless you happened upon the objective by chance.
>>
File: komaeda.png (86KB, 288x401px) Image search: [Google]
komaeda.png
86KB, 288x401px
>>388616885
How to fix durability:
>Add blacksmith NPCs that can repair/craft/sell weapons. Any new weapons you find can be unlocked for crafting, and there are also some unique weapons that can only be crafted as well. The more you repair the same weapon the higher the cost gets. Each blacksmith is a unique NPC with their own design, personality, and sidequest(s).
>Change the weapon UI so it's not tedious as fuck. Instead of quick select being a straight line it should be a rotary menu. If you pick up a weapon from a chest and your inventory is full, there should be an option right then and there to select a weapon to discard from your inventory. etc.
>Hammers, axes, deku leafs, and other utility items should be spun off into their own separate equipment category that takes up no inventory space and doesn't break. They could maybe even be runes.
>The Master Sword should charge continuously instead of only after breaking. Also have an unlockable ability that allows you to use the Master Sword while decharged in exchange for hearts. Alternatively have some kind of rare consumable that increases the charge.
>Make the champion weapons work like the Master Sword (see above).
>Have a visual indicator on items that displays its durability. i.e. green icon means near full durability, yellow means moderately damaged, red means very low. Also remove the annoying "durability is low" message. Maybe have a special (nonintrusive) sound effect that plays when a low-durability weapon hits an enemy, for people who aren't paying attention.
Instead of your house having mounts, it should have chests that have much more space. Pay extra rupees to increase the amount of space.
Drastically reduce the timing window for flurry rush, and make parries drain durability (but not as much as a full block). I personally went through shields at about 1/1000th the rate I did weapons.
Add an unlockable upgrade which gives you a dedicated permanent shield surfboard.
Out of space but you get the idea.
>>
>>388618320
>didn't know what to do
find and complete the shrines around the great plataeu
get the glider from the old man
go to kakariko village to the east.
go to each of the four race's village. zora to the north-east, goron to the north, birds to the northwest, gerudo to the southwest
at each place do whatever sidequest you need to get access to the divine beast, get into it, clear it, move on to the next one
optional: find all of link's lost memories
optional: reclaim the master sword from the lost woods
go to hyrule castle, clear it, defeat ganon

they even have a menu tab that lists all your currently active main quests and side quests
>>
>>388618718
>they even have a menu tab that lists all your currently active main quests and side quests
What a revolutionary feature. Nintendo does it again.
>>
>>388618264
They're not OP, but they're pretty reliable, they do good damage, and their charge is good in battles.
>>
>>388617742

So the same behavior between two different groups is inspired by similar situations, and thus they're equally bad? It's a shame we can't take this critical thinking one step further ,and analyze if one group is actually justified in thinking the way they do while the other is just self-fellating. But that would require being able to recognize the obvious differences between TLoU and BotW in terms of what about each games garnered them the praise, and once people start talking those sorts of specifics the comparisons drawn between the two fanbases fizzle out immediately.
>>
>>388618718
>doesn't list the korok seeds
I see you are well versed in arguing against BotW haters, my friend.
>>
>>388618930
>and analyze if one group is actually justified in thinking the way they do while the other is just self-fellating
Are you seriously implying it's not both?
Also, praise is as subjective as criticism. You can't invalidate the praise one game gets while claiming the praise another game gets is somehow superior.
Once you consider that, the comparison is appropriate.
>>
>>388619140
Both self-fellating, I mean.
>>
>>388618452
I wish quest markers would go away in general for the exact reason you brought up. It feels like you're actually on a quest, taking in the world and landmarks with your eyes to find what you want, rather than focusing on the arrow on my minimap that I have to run towards.
>>
>>388610881
This guys gets it. People are retards.
>>
File: 1495397653991.jpg (295KB, 750x768px) Image search: [Google]
1495397653991.jpg
295KB, 750x768px
>>388619306
To add to that, another reason I loved quests in botw so much is because they don't tell you your reward ahead of time. So you don't ever come to the conclusion that a quest isn't worth doing. Which means you end up doing all of them because you're also curious what you might get.
>>
>>388618320
>I got bored and never finished as I didn't know what to do, it was too much in my hands not linear.
Jesus fucking Christ. Just go and watch a movie then you moron.
>>
>>388619453
I felt the exact opposite. I knew the rewards would be worthless from the get go simply because of how the game worked. The only decent rewards ended up being unique gear, but this was rare.
>>
>>388619140

>You can't invalidate the praise one game gets while claiming the praise another game gets is somehow superior.

Yes, I absolutely can. TLoU gets praise for being a half-passable zombie story in 2011 that you got to walk through instead of watching on the Walking Dead, and BotW gets praise for being the first open world in a decade with significant player agency. It's different praise, and praise for different reasons, and if it's not immediately clear which one is superior and which isn't, you must not know much about video games and what makes them good.
>>
>>388619401
Do you not understand the difference between something that enables you to use a weapon, and an actual fucking weapon?
>>
>>388619714
Yeah, your bias certainly isn't obvious or anything.
>>
>>388619749
Do you not understand the meaning of FUNCTIONAL? You could reskin all the weapons as guns and it would change nothing about the gameplay. You could reskin all the weapons as having "spirits" that you have to refill by killing enemies and it would change nothing about the gameplay.
Your issue is that you see weapons breaking when normally weapons don't break and your autistic brain just can't process that.
>>
>>388618718
>>388619546
By bored and didn't know what to do, I meant I had too much choice I couldn't decide so I just played something else.
>>
>>388619924
Except I would still have the weapon I went out of my way to get and enjoyed using for whatever personal reason I wanted to conjure up.
You pretend having your choice taken away from you is a good thing, and you lash out at anyone who disagrees. You calling anyone else autistic because of that is ironic.
>>
>>388620097
So you admit it's a psychological thing more than a functional thing?
>>
Gating areas with beefy enemies and stamina requirements instead of items was stupid.
>>
>>388602324
I could probably name close to 100 issues i have with the game that immediatly would disqualify it from a 10/10 instantly. I still can name 10 reasons when i am druged out of my brain and watch redline for the twentieths time.

Mayor issues with combat, durability, lack enemy variation, having to go to a literal pause screen to heal taking away any risk and strategy of when to heal, visuals are shit, old age sound effects bordering on being dragon quest embarrassing, shit bosses, shit dungeons, only easy riddles with no exception not a single one etc. at this point its a waste of time to state the obvious again and again for this game so i will stop.
>>
>>388620097
So all Nintendo needs to do is give you an unusable ghost weapon for every weapon that you've owned in case you want to look at it for a bit?
You're throwing a tantrum over that?
>>
File: Joshua_Render_(2).png (638KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Joshua_Render_(2).png
638KB, 1024x768px
>>388617150
I don't even comprehend how that thought process even came into being.
I also don't understand why you think that Horizon only has bows and that BotW even remotely has better enemies.
>>
>>388620151
Whatever personal reason I have for liking a weapon can include both psychological and functional.
Maybe I want to go through the entire game beating everyone with mop. Or maybe I want to keep that badass weapon I went way out of my way to discover. It doesn't matter what the reason is. Everyone has their own reason for wanting to use certain gear, and you're arguing that not only should they not be allowed to do so, but that they should like it; even with the combat as flawed as it is.

>>388620247
No.
>>
Also turning the Sheikah from ninja clan to Japanese scientists was a questionable shift in tone.
>>
File: inv[1].jpg (54KB, 506x448px) Image search: [Google]
inv[1].jpg
54KB, 506x448px
>>388605842
>how could they make it better?

OH I DON'T FUCKING KNOW
IT'S ALMOST AS IF THEY FIXED THIS ISSUE SOME GAMES AGO AND THEN PROMPTLY FORGOT ABOUT IT
>>
>>388615101
They do that. I hid behind a pillar from the Silver Lynel in the Coliseum right after he spotted me. He didn't rush me or anything, he just shot shock arrows up in the sky which insta killed me.
>>
>>388620748
>reading comprehension
>>388620394
They are allowed to do so. They just need to continually replenish it
>>
Poorfag with a decent PC but no Wii U or Switch here, will I get the same (or good enough) experience of this game through emulating it? Is there anything I can do in the Switch version that I can't if I emulate it?
>>
>>388620876
Depends on how decent your computer actually is.
You'd be missing out on portability, but playing console games in handheld modes sucks shit and undercuts the experience anyway.
>>
>>388620821
>implying your favorite weapon is just conveniently laying around everywhere whenever you want it
>>
>>388621103
My favourite weapon is the bow, and arrows are everywhere so eh
>>
>>388621040
Well, here's my specs if it helps:
Intel i7 6700k
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 390 8 GB VRAM
>>
>>388620876
There are some bugs here and there, but it should be fine if you have a good rig.
>>
>>388621268
You should be able to handle it pretty well. With specs like that, you certainly wouldn't be getting any better of an experience on the switch or wii u.
>>
>>388621268
if this isn't bait, then sure go for it. I play on a much worst PC than yours and I still get decent performance
>>
>>388621268
try it out only way to find out. Emulators tend to be cpu heavy. it is a 6700k so it should be strong enough for it however the emulation isnt quite "stable". For what you cant do some of the current bugs makes enemies not attack you last i heard.
>>
>>388606775
Expect you never need to use the menu besides to eat food and it's quick and snappy. In OOT you need to use it all the time and it's slow as fuck. What a fucking retarded post.
>>
File: 1458420297387.gif (1MB, 578x360px) Image search: [Google]
1458420297387.gif
1MB, 578x360px
>>388605842
Reduce the number of korok seeds required for upgrades (reduce the number of koroks in general please)
Make it so ZL and ZR swaps between categories.
Have it so navigating left or right with the D-pad will go to the previous/next row in a given category, instead of moving to the same row in the previous/next category.

Also if you open a chest/pick up an item, and your inventory's full, don't just tell me that- give me the option to toss something I don't need at the same time (instead of having to open my inventory, toss something manually, close my inventory, open the chest again, sit through the animation, then pick up the thing; only for it to be auto-equipped when I probably don't want it to be).
^this + weapon breakage + limited inventory slots = annoying as fuck

Also I don't know why shields are even a thing, I had a guardian++ shield and it broke in 2 hits from a lynel.
>>
>>388621681
OoT was made even faster through the addition of a touch screen in OoT 3D. BotW actually had this system originally thanks to the Wii U gamepad. Since they moved it to the single-screened Switch the feature was removed. The Switch version actively ruined the entire game by forcing everything into a pause menu, even the "quick swap" for weapons and runes.
>>
I enjoyed it, until I got powerful enough nothing could hurt me at all, or had enough food to just power through any fight.
Great concept, poor execution, barren endgame
>>
>>388621103
>also implying people can't attach value to a specific weapon simply because of the experience they had and the challenges they overcame leading up to discovering it
Even if they were to lay a bunch of that same weapon around on the ground, they would never amount to the first one you grew attached to. It would just undercut everything you had to go through.
>>
>>388621867
>or had enough food to just power through any fight.
I have to wonder what in gods name were they thinking with hearty food.
>>
>>388621850
>Since they moved it to the single-screened Switch the feature was removed.
This will never stop making me mad.
Wii U gamepad was ideal for the map, inventory and photos a'la FF:Maiden of black water but Nintendo butchered it intentionally so the Wii U version isn't superior in that regard.
>>
File: patrcik-stewart-jeffrey.jpg (47KB, 730x365px) Image search: [Google]
patrcik-stewart-jeffrey.jpg
47KB, 730x365px
>>388602324
Its one the best games of the past 20 years. Just get over it OP. Everyone knows Nintendo made another classic, no point in stomping your feet about it.
>>
>>388622175
>ARRRR AONUMA WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS?
>Fuck it just add a safety net
>>
>>388622210
Blame all the people who called the Wii U a shitty gimmick when, in actual fact, it was pretty great.
>>
>>388622210
This decision really embodies how I've felt about Nintendo for the past 5 years or so.
>>
>>388622307
Hell no, that was absolutely Nintendo gimping the Wii U version so that people wouldn't say it was superior to the Switch. That was a cold, hard business decision, not anything that benefited anyone but themselves.
>>
>>388622210
The game was literally designed with those features in mind. It was supposed to be the Wii U's Zelda. The map and inventory system was created to be used on the Gamepad screen while the action happened on the TV. The Sheikah Slate "looking familiar" when you first grab it was supposed to allude to the Wii U gamepad. The entire game was based on the fact that you had a second screen with you at all times.

Then they abandoned the Wii U before they finished it and removed everything that would have made it the Wii U's swan song so they could make it the Switch's system seller instead.
>>
>>388622728
Poor Wii U, if only it sold better. I actually really liked that little guy
>>
File: 1450424267356.jpg (72KB, 598x673px) Image search: [Google]
1450424267356.jpg
72KB, 598x673px
I'll be honest: I hated the combat.
The physics engine for puzzles and climbing? Great.
Combat? Floaty and terrible. It's so god damn hard to get any horizontal momentum in this game, I'd often try to dodge and then end up landing straight into an enemy's weapon swing. Doesn't help the enemy's wind-up telegraphs last an eternity then come out almost instantly.

Like, I can parry any enemy in Soulsborne games, I've beaten Platinum Games' titles on their hardest difficulties, I can dance circles around Iron Knuckles/Darknuts in the N64/GC Zeldas, but I cannot for the life of me work out the timing on flurry rush and because of the aforementioned I'm not prepared to accept that I'm the problem.

Oh, and what's the Final Boss fight?
>perfect parry/flurry rush him or it's impossible
Fucking spectacular game design there Nintendo. All that time building up the "do it your way" approach to solving tasks, only to end with this. Doesn't help the White Lionel broke all my god damn shields before I reached Ganon so I couldn't even try to parry his beams.
>>
>>388612473
I am not freaking out though. I just find it a bit silly that no game can be a 10 because of the idea that 10s have to be perfect and nothing is perfect. And I think that's probably more counter productive than anything.
But 10s are hardly that important. Scores in general are hardly that important. For instance, niche games by their very niche status are almost by concept barred from being able to get high scores. Which is pretty silly in itself. Especially since niche games are likely the ones that more specifically cater to specific needs and are more likely to perfect them within the space of said niche.
Meaning that many lower scored games are absolutely amazing, many higher scored games aren't much better if at all, and then we've got a million scored within the same 8.xx/9.xx ranges with decimals all over. And no 10s anywhere because the number 10 is somehow sacred.

How does that make sense?
>>
>>388623159
>people like you
>and the autistic manchildren that freak out
>>
It took me an entire hour to figure out how to defeat Thunderblight Ganon.
>>
>>388623219
Yeah. I misread that. My bad. I've got no good excuse.

But I'll still reiterate my point. It's less that I think BotW is super special and extra deserving of a 10 or anything. But rather I am of the opinion that 10s should be less special and that we should have way more of them.
>>
>>388623057
Dodging and parrying are easy as fuck bruh, and parry is just as good as flurry, sometimes even better. About the wind up, just think of some attacks in souls games
>>
>>388623235
I literally had no idea how to defeat him, just spammed kebabs and hit him until he died while
>>
>>388623159
That has nothing to do with 10/10 perfect scores though? To me, a perfect score is something everyone should strive for, but never achieve. Perfection does not exist. To this end, people like metacritic so much precisely because a perfect score is damn near impossible to get. If 10s are easy to get, it completely ruins the meaning of that score. What should happen is scores should be lowered. 5s should be the true average instead of 7-8.

If you want scores to be balanced in any way though, well, too bad, because people are unreasonable and whine and cry over them. That's just how it is now unfortunately.
>>
>>388606671
numerical rating system are shit in general. A 6/10 is a bad game for the one guy and "above average" for the other.

best rating system: play it / dont play it / play it if...
>>
>Another thread where /v/ proves it can only talk and think in hyperbole

You are parodies of people. People like BotW since it is a very broadly absorbing open-world experience. At first glance, it looks like it'll be like all those dime-a-dozen Ubisoft games with towers that open up new regions and reveal all points of interest so your minimap turns into this cluttered clusterfuck and you end up doing a million side things that have nothing to do with the main story. And while the game does have some of those elements, namely a million side things and towers that reveal areas, it manages to sidestep all of it feeling meaningless because the game's threadbare story is "Ganon already won, so you can spend all the time you want gearing up by doing a bunch of side things for round 2" and it actually allows you to discover things instead of walk to minimap symbols. It actually lets the player discover things and that creates a little buzz that keeps the player going and want to discover another thing.

The game has a lot of divisive things in it; namely weapon durability, korok seeds existing as they do, and shrines being the main emphasis of puzzle vehicles instead of more traditional dungeons. Of course, these are going to be thing that people will have different reactions to, but /v/ only thinks in "good" or "shit" instead of being able to articulate something more nuanced in the middle.

On the whole I think the game's maybe an 8/10. It kept me interested for 100 hours because I was just going around discovering new things and areas and wanted to play around with its impressive physics goofery. It is genuinely impressive the amount of interplay and creativity can go with just faffing about with all the stuff in your inventory. It doesn't leave a very lasting impression on me since I forget any of the setpieces aside from ancient beasts, even then some of them are completely forgettable, and the very last boss is a massive letdown.
>>
>>388602324
weapon breakage makes the game automatically unplayable
>>
>>388623235
All the fights seemed to be based on a rune. Water was obviously Cryonis because there was so much water, Fire involved bombing the thing before boarding it and had a few bomb puzzles inside, and Thunder involved using the magnet to move metal that conducted electricity, with a little magnet tutorial in the form of the boss fight where you get the thunderhelm.

I don't seem to remember the Wind dungeon or anything leading up to it involving Stasis, though. Heck, there WASN'T anything leading up to it. You got to Rito village, flew over a cliff, and hit a couple targets.
>>
>>388623057
>Goes on to list a bunch of "credentials" of being good at games
>Can't do flurry timing
>Loses all his shields to a Lynel

>I'm not prepared to accept that I'm the problem

I've got some bad news for you, anon.
>>
>>388612561
I think thats the entire of BOTW criticism in a nutshell
Its basically a mob shouting versions of
>I DON'T LIKE THINGS!
>WHY DO YOU LIKE THINGS?
I guess legitimate criticism of BOTW will fall into categories:
1. Open World has a terrible record for any mechanics, so a game that do everything a better than mediocre will be highly praised
2. Issues is discussed, but its also discussed how shallow they are
3. The good parts(movement, exploration, quests, NPCs) outshine the bad parts(shallow pool of content)
4. Willingness to admit they don't like the game type

Then again, half of Zelda is the Quality that is delivered. Competing franchises simply lack the staying power and quality to really compete.
>>
File: RDM.png (28KB, 857x485px) Image search: [Google]
RDM.png
28KB, 857x485px
>>388623235
I got that one immediately because the lightning rods had a metallic texture (which means use Magnesis), but had a similar issue with Fireblight Ganon:
His vacuum move looked more like a charge-up than anything else, I thought the idea was that I play ping-pong with his fireball or use arrows to detonate it near him.

They really needed some better player education. It's not okay to put things like that and >>388623057 in mandatory fights unless they've demonstrated the concept already.

>>388623431
Not really. Take those mini guardian things: it'll show it's about to attack by cocking its arm backwards, but the attack is basically instant. In Dark Souls you can parry after the enemy starts swinging (ie. reactively), but the only way to flurry rush is to know preemptively how long the enemy will delay its attack. So the attack isn't so much a swing but a giant killzone that appears and disappears instantly an indeterminant amount of time after the enemy rears up.
>>
>>388623389
I could not respectfully disagree more with that. If 10s were easy to get, then they lose all meaning. Its just like a series being casualized. If anyone could do this super easily - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

do you think people would jumping and shouting and screaming and anywhere near as amazed? With SFV they made it so anybody can do it. Now when people parry everything, nobody gives a damn. That's exactly what's happening with high review scores and what you would want to perpetuate. The truly good games would be lost in a sea of mediocre games that still get perfect scores.
>>
>>388623792
>complains about hyperbole
>uses hyperbole in post to hide that they didn't read the thread

If anything you're a "parody of people" for not being able to fucking read and then pretending to be a moderate because you invented two sides and chose the arbitrary middle ground. There have been plenty of legitimate and specific criticisms ITT. Be more self-aware next time, please.
>>
>>388624102

For the guardian's it's kinda reactive. You know the direction it is going to swing in and dodge accordingly. You soon memorize the timings (just like souls) and are able to pull off rushes easier. Dark souls 3 features many enemies that have delayed/instant attacks that require memorization to roll, hell even dark souls 1 has that
>>
>>388623951
Next time you reply to yourself at least pretend to use a different posting style.
>>
>>388624102
>In Dark Souls you can parry after the enemy starts swinging (ie. reactively), but the only way to flurry rush is to know preemptively how long the enemy will delay its attack. So the attack isn't so much a swing but a giant killzone that appears and disappears instantly an indeterminant amount of time after the enemy rears up.

Please, stop comparing everything to Dark Souls. And if you are, at least do it accurately. There are plenty of enemies in the series that attack almost immediately or have very short wind ups. It's just basic pattern recognition for both games. The parry window is so generous that many times you'll do the dodge, the flurry will trigger, but you'll see Link's backflip animation end as he jumps into the enemy's weapon. Or you can do it super late and see him backflip as the weapon is going through you.

It's you, mate.
>>
>>388623389
I personally think it should be the opposite. You know how it's important to have something to strive for. To have that mountaintop you want to climb. I feel one should respect the mountaintop rather than trying to lower it.

If you devalued the 10 people would surely be even more complacent. Have less of an incentive to improve.
>>
>>388624136
But if there are no tens, do they have any meaning at all?
The main reason for why I would be fine with much more liberal use of 10s. Is because by the end of the day, scores shouldn't be as important as the content of reviews.

If we had tons of 10s but every 10 was different. Then perhaps people would actually read/listen to the review than end up needlessly fixated on the numbers.
>>
Legend of Zelda has been boring ever since Minish Cap
>>
>>388624247
You sound mad because you fit in either of the two camps, my man.

I don't need to read 200 posts to see people saying the game is fullstop awful because of clumsy UI problems or weapon degradation. Or see people who argue about m-muh Nintendo fanboy bonus! You only need the first 100 or so posts to see that.

>implying a person needs to read an entire thread before dropping off their own insular comments about a game

Fullblown autism. You can call that a hyperbole, if you'd like.
>>
>>388602324
that is not a good thing.
>>
>>388623950
I had 5 Guardian++ shields, and the Lynel broke 4 of them in 2 hits. Shields may as well not even exist if the best ones in the game have no durability, but that's a separate issue.

And I'm trying to demonstrate, albeit anecdotally, that I'm not shit at video games, that the game is just wonky as fuck. When the series wasn't open world I never had these issues, so why now unless the combat engine in this one just sucks?

>>388624305
The directional dodging aspect is fine, no complaints there, but the timing for a successful parry/flurry is fucked up. I'm alright with it having a narrow window, but it seems to be inconsistent and it's bad game design to base boss encounters around it because of that.

>>388624391
>everything
I compared literally one thing to DS and only because that guy brought it up first.
>The parry window is so generous that many times you'll do the dodge, the flurry will trigger, but you'll see Link's backflip animation end as he jumps into the enemy's weapon. Or you can do it super late and see him backflip as the weapon is going through you.
Wanna know a game with an overly generous dodge system? Nier Automata. What you describe is just more evidence for the game being inconsistent.
>>
>>388624812
I actually never felt it was narrow. If anything it was too wide. I sometimes trigger flurry when I dodged from the other side of the enemy, but it might just be a bug. I'm actually not sure if your copy is bugged or something because people can pull off flurry pretty consistently judging by videos and such
>>
>>388624567
They absolutely have meaning as something to strive for. Metacritic is the go to site for reviews because it's the closest we have to the ideal system. The 10s are weighed against the 6s and 7s equally, destroying the illusion of perfection and giving immense weight to the titles that get closest.

Unfortunately the point system exists because people don't want to read every review. It's a simple summary that should accurately reflect the contents of those reviews.
Every 10 is different. It doesn't matter what number it is, it's different. But that alone would in no way incentivize people to read the review.

Ideally, we'd just have more demos that we could try out for ourselves to more easily make an informed opinion based off of genuine first hand experience.
>>
>>388624305
>hell even dark souls 1 has that
Like who? I'd like to know.
>>
>>388625143
I forgot most of it but I remember the demon dogs that spit fire being a fucking pain in the ass. Anyway if you want an example in dark souls 3 the dancer is the prime example in inconsistent timing. Fucking great fight though
>>
>>388624812
>What you describe is just more evidence for the game being inconsistent.

Inconsistent in a way that actually helps you perform the dodge, which you apparently still mess up.

Out of all the enemies in the game with weird attack animations, the two you mentioned are definitely not it. You've got the Bokoblins with their weird insta spear stabs with no warning, but you want to complain about the most formulaic of all the creatures in the game. Lynels are so prone to like a three attack pattern, all with obvious tells, that it's like fighting a very weak Dark Souls monster, if you want to stay in that vein. The small Guardians are absolute jokes who have two attack patterns per weapon and only have an option between three weapons. And then they go into a two attack pattern past 50% health. They are the easiest monsters to do flurry rushes against.
>>
>>388624812
those shields are mainly for reflecting lasers and not for taking hits. pretty sure all guardian stuff has low durability to make up for increased attack against guardians? that's what i always figured
>>
>>388624689
Not them, but if you're going to make assumptions about the kind of comments and content in a thread, then yes, you should read it first instead of pretending like what you're talking about has anything to do with what anyone else has been talking about. Instead you called everyone parodies while making broad generalizations.
>>
>>388623657
>A 6/10 is a bad game for the one guy
Because that one guy is a fucking idiot who doesn't understand math. If a 10/10 game is just good and not flawless, then what is a flawless game? 11/10?
>>
>>388624812

>>388625416 is right, guardian shields aren't all that great, i broke them even just surfing on them, their advantage is to deflect guardian weapons better but that's about it, you just see that ++ and fool yourself into thinking they should protect you for a long time from the strongest enemy in the game

tl;dr go grap stuff at Hyrule castle, fool
>>
>>388625351
>They are the easiest monsters to do flurry rushes against.
I know, and that's why I'm citing them here:
I can proc the flurry rush on them, but not always. And I'd often successfully dodge, just without initiating the rush.

Here's what happens
>enemy winds up
>attack about to come out
>Link backflips
>enemy swing cuts the space beneath link, while Link is still midair
>he lands
>didn't proc the flurry
If the window were as leniant as you say that should not be possible. And it happened a lot, in the time I spent farming Major Tests of Strength for cores and weapons.

Anyway the Lynel that broke my stuff did so with his weird hug attack, which had plenty of telegraph but again basically no travel time. I'd honestly prefer N64-style backflips and sidehops with set distances and no invincibility frames, because at least then I know what I'm dealing with.

>>388625416
Fair enough. To be honest I mainly wore them for aesthetic value, to go with my ancient set.
>>
>>388625941
A "flawless game" cannot exist because the medium is subjective. There will always be people who have problems with a game, even if it does everything superbly well
>>
>>388626012
yeah they're cool as fuck for sure but i'll always remember the salt after doing a major test of strength really early in the game, using all of my weapons, and then the powerful guardian shit i got from the fight breaking after 15 minutes.
>>
File: 96-0-1476286950.jpg (981KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
96-0-1476286950.jpg
981KB, 1920x1200px
>>
>>388626576
Wasn't Divinity's UI universally panned though?
>>
>>388606671
>Does a game truly have to be flawless to be able to receive a 10/10 score?

Yes?
>>
>>388626620
i'd bet an arm atleast half of the people shitting on zelda UI
1- never played
2- think Divinity UI is just fucking dandy
>>
>>388610881
There must be some biological mutation that drives people to blindly defend Nintendo like this.
>>
>>388622590
The Switch wouldn't have happened if the Wii U was a success and BotW woulf have been a Wii U exclusive. Problem was, nobody bought a Wii U.
>>
>>388626876
Why is defending a game they like=defending company? See this everywhere too
>>
>>388626876
To be fair Witcher 3 had weapons that broke like 70% of the time too
>>
>>388626968
Because weapons breaking is an objective, factually, provably, unconditionally SHIT mechanic and the only way to defend it is to be so blinded by Nintendo fanboyism that your only instinct is to rush to its defense.
>>
File: 5760.jpg (16KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
5760.jpg
16KB, 620x372px
As a 'gameplay' experience, BotW is a solid 8/10 or maybe a 9/10.

But the game receives extra kudos for being an astonishing masterclass in game design which raises the bar for an entire genre.

/v/ will cry and foam at the mouth rather than admit Nintendo made another benchmark video game. It's been 6 (S I X) months.
>>
>>388627123
A shit mechanic period or only in BoTW? Don't think it fits in a zelda game but it can work in others
>>
>>388627123
But it's not a shit mechanic, it's a integral part of the game, it'd be "objectively" shit if it was badly implemented, like if there was no quick way to pick another weapon from your inventory or if you weren't able to pick up an enemy weapon. Yours is a damn opinion, live with it
>>
>>388626778
I bet you'd lose that arm.
>>
>>388627123
t. jim fucking sterling son
>>
>>388627283
>Yours is a damn opinion, live with it
No, you're fucking retarded. There isn't a good game or any positive qualities to weapon's breaking. No matter how much shit you spew about M-MUH OPINIONZZ, it's still a fucking fact.
>>
>>388626914
That's an interesting hypothetical and all, but even if you could prove that were true, it still wouldn't excuse them gimping the game on the Wii U to make their next system look better. The Wii U being an unpopular system really has nothing to do with anything in regards to why they made that choice.
>>
>>388627123
Given the open gameplay BotW offers, weapon durability was an inevitable solution to prevent players from breaking game - you can get top-tier weapons early game, but they won't last.

Worrying about weapons never becomes an issue unless you're playing the game like an idiot.
>>
>>388627123
i used to think this, then i played the game and realized if they didn't break i would have used the same fucking sword I got right from the start from an amiibo until I got the master sword.

Since they break, I had to play with every single weapon in the game.

It's one of those arguments that sounds good, but not having this mechanic would actually be bad for the game.
>>
File: 1386586557116.jpg (90KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
1386586557116.jpg
90KB, 343x343px
>>388627438
It encourages the player to adapt and approach the fights in multiple ways instead of just swinging your favourite sword ad infinitum
>>
>>388627620
I would complain less about weapons breaking if the inventory were larger and/or you had some kind of overflow inventory when opening chests so you didn't have to replay the animation if your inventory were full.

Although frankly I don't see the point of limiting your weapon inventory at all. If they're all going to break what's the point of putting a cap on it? Those weapons have to come from somewhere, it's not like you can buy them.
>>
>>388627978
You can expand the number of weapon slots.
I never ran out of weapons, not once. Every enemy you kill drops a weapon good enough for you to kill everything in that general area.
>>
>>388626968
Because flagrant fanboyism is unfortunately a thing and even those who do somehow, for whatever god forsaken reason genuinely like the durability system get lumped in with them.

Really though, a lot of it comes from how vehemently people deny the criticism and attack others for saying anything negative. To be sure, both sides can be pretty terrible to each other, but the ones attacking this mechanic are mostly people who have played the game and feel let down without letting any meaningless attachment to Nintendo get in the way. I love Zelda, but I don't like the direction BotW is taking the series. Yet when I first tried to express criticism, I got jumped on. That said, people seem to be getting more reasonable about this as time goes on.
>>
>>388627767
I adapt and approach the fight by throwing a bomb and taking their weapon.
Or I just don't fight at all because it's pointless.
>>
>>388627767
I feel like you guys don't quite understand just how fucked the combat is.
>>
>>388628073
>You can expand the number of weapon slots.
Yeah, at an exponential cost.
And I never ran out either. The game throws weapons at you constantly because they break so often, but the attrition rate is superceded by the acquisition rate, which leads to a lot of tedious fiddling with your full inventory.

Shields have the reverse problem though; if you're actively blocking attacks you'll burn through multiple on a single enemy.
>>
>>388628471
I mostly only used shields to parry guardians laser and kill them with 3 hits of it
>>
>>388628626
I know, but if you try to turtle, whoops, destroyed in 2 hits. It's fine if you don't want your game to be about turtling, but then do what Bloodborne did and give me a crossbow or something to hold so it's not an obnoxious waste of people's time.
>>
>>388621839
>reduce the number of koroks in general please
Why would anyone want this?
More than half of them are unnecessary, the only reason there are so much is that you can easily find them and upgrade your stuff.
>>
>>388628937
I would presume they would want a bigger inventory to start out with in conjunction with less wahahas. Which would be fairly reasonable.

I would go a step further though and say inventory upgrades are trash collectables and want numerous things to take its place that are far more exciting and rewarding.
>>
>>388629239
Oh, and to not lock the korok mask behind paid dlc. That would be nice too.
>>
>>388610881
Yeah dude, I loved it when bioshock infinite didn't let me use the weapons I wanted because all the enemies were equipped with total garbage weapons and I had no way to replenish my stock, especially since earlier games in the series made sure to let me keep using my favorite guns with regular top-ups scattered around the map.
>>
>>388629892
But you CAN restock in BotW. Everything gets replaced every bloodmoon. Or you have the high-end champion weapons you can repair in the villages.
>>
>>388620504
Are you retarded? How would tp item wheel work with the 100> items in the game
>>
>>388628937
Yeah the intent is that you stumble upon a few as you're adventuring and it rewards exploration with a bigger inventory.
The problem is the cost of upgrades becomes prohibitive. I have 3 rows of weapons and already it's costing me 21 seeds for a single upgrade. That's fucking bullshit.

>>388630274
>champion weapons
Aren't those mostly garbage?
>>
UI and fonts look like placeholders yes.
>>
It's fun while it lasts, but I quickly ran out of shit to do both ingame and with my Switch.
>>
>>388622728
>Wii U's swan song
Sounds poetic and all but that's fucking retarded for anyone to do, it is wasting 5-6 years of development in something that's only meant to be played by the few who bought WiiU.
That's taking a bullet to the head for any company.
>>
>>388631058
>allowing the wii u version to use the inventory system that was designed specifically for the gamepad on the gamepad is retarded and taking a bullet to the head
They had this up and running long before the game launched. It's not hard to see why the removed it with the launch of the switch version.
>>
How the hell could it be any better? Have it be scroll-based? Or maybe itty-bitty non-descript pictures like Witcher? I HATE it when people complain about something and then don't actually have any better suggestion.

Bunch of pretentious entitled mule-brain son a tooks.
>>
>>388631571
Well there was this thing called the Wii U gamepad that the UI and inventory was designed from scratch to take advantage of. That might've helped.
But oh wait, that wouldn't have made the switch version look too good so Nintendo intentionally neutered it.
>>
>>388631571
Completely disregarding the original purpose of the gamepad, it's not the fan's job to come up with a better solution. If something is implemented poorly, people are well within their rights to criticize it even if they don't have any better ideas.
That's like saying nobody can criticize a drawing unless they can draw better. It's a bullshit excuse.
>>
>>388632074
"One ought to not criticize others on a platform on which he cannot stand perpendicular himself." - Mark Twain

No. GTFO. What you're saying is a bullshit excuse. I asked how it could be better and you don't have an answer. My answer is not apologetic because I'm not conceding that it has any practical flaws. So stop flapping your ass and shut up unless you have something to contribute. I want to know of a better way if one exists than what BotW implemented.
>>
>>388632571
>completely disregarding the original purpose of the gamepad
How convenient that you ignore that, and the other post.
If you don't think others should be allowed to criticize something unless they can do better, then your ego is off the charts. You and Dobson would appreciate each others company, I'm sure.
>>
>>388614768
BOTW is worse than TW3 even.
>less to do in the open world
>story is garbage
>combat is worse
the combat is worse than tw3, let that sink in.
>>
>>388633259
Or maybe you should actually play The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD before opening your mouth. They don't do anything with their Gamepad implementation that would apply to BotW better than it already does. And what if I don't like touchscreen interfaces, huh? Ever think of that? If HURR GAMEPAD is the conclusion you came to from this thread then I'm glad I didn't participate in your conflated non-sequitor echobox.
>>
>>388633630
Holy autism batman
>>
>>388633630
Don't worry, I'm glad you didn't participate either.
>>
>>388633405
At least it's still better than Soulsborne "combat."
>>
>>388633840
Not even close. Hell, TW3 combat is shit compared to Soulsborne combat.
>>
>>388633630
>And what if I don't like touchscreen interfaces, huh? Ever think of that?
Using your salami fingers covered in tendie grease too difficult for you?
>>
>>388619806

If you want to call being on the right side of a discussion bias, be my guest. How I feel about either game does not change the reasons they were praised, which I outlined. If you've got evidence that people lauded TLoU for any reason other than hitting during a pop cultural zombie craze, I would love to see it.
>>
>>388635491
>intentionally oversimplify and misconstrue everything
>praise I approve of is correct
>praise I don't approve of is wrong
>no doubt you apply this objectivity to everything else
Nah, I'm not going to bother.
>>
Haters cant see how kino botw is. Hating on something because its popular and their autistic mediocre clone game are not as popular.
>>
>>388616369
>Making the WC permanent would break the game.
The game is already hideously broken, what's the difference between letting you carry around a Windcleaver (which is mediocre) wherever.
>>
>>388617046
>Even if a weapon can be relevant throughout, it will always outclass or be outclassed by another
>games with variety of weapons each with their own use don't exist
Are you retarded.
>>
>>388617285
>The biggron sword is also literally inferior to your master sword in every way
Biggron sword is typically stronger at the cost of a shield.
>>
>>388618691
>How to fix durability
Remove it.
>>
>>388639589
>typically stronger
Twice as strong and a huge reach. Unless you're including the broken versions.
>>
>>388627767
>It encourages the player to adapt and approach the fights in multiple ways
So you smack things like an idiot and refuse to try out any other possibly more efficient approach unless forced.
>>
>>388602324
My only complaint is the lack of actual dungeons and bosses, they could have taken all their 120 shrines bullshit and made a couple of real, fleshed out dungeons and not recycle the same boss over and over again
also the lack of green tunic triggered me to the point of finding said 120 shrines but that's nitpicking i gues
>>
>>388630274
>you can get everything back in BotW
>you just have to wait for a RNG dictated event then teleport across the map every time
>>
File: Breaking News.gif (32KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
Breaking News.gif
32KB, 350x400px
>>388606671
>Does a game truly have to be flawless to be able to receive a 10/10 score?
Yes.
>>
>>388626036
Your argument is flawed, the medium being subjective guarantees the existence of "flawless" games.
>>
>>388641630
What's the 10 there for if it can never be achieved then?
>>
>>388641719
>>388625107
>>
>>388641717
ET for Atari is a flawless game. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>388642376
I don't think that post really goes along with the idea that only flawless games can get a 10, unless you're ready to write a list of "flawless" games that got/deserve 10s

You can't go from "only perfect games get 10" to "every 10 is different"
>>
>>388642670
That post was trying to say that no game deserves a 10. That 10 is a symbol to strive for, but can never be reached.
Flawless doesn't exist.

Every score is different by virtue of how it received said score. No game is completely alike, so no game will receive the same score for the exact same reasons.
>>
>>388614975
tarrey town quest best quest
>>
>>388630537
Break it up into weapon, food, potion and item categories
There.
>>
>>388602324
Im a Zelda fan, right? so is a friend of mine. In fact hes an even bigger Zelda fan than I am
Whats funny is that when I bring up genuine criticisms for BOTW he tells me to stop playing devils advocate or changes the subject
is this what nintenbros are like?
>>
>>388643138
No, tarrey town best reward for doing the quests. The actual quests are poop. Nothing but fetching and material gathering.
>>
File: 1416853431520.gif (2MB, 183x156px) Image search: [Google]
1416853431520.gif
2MB, 183x156px
>>388643509
>>
>>388643509
hahahaha what the fuck
>>
>>388643782
>is this what nintenbabbys are like?
ftfy
Constructive criticism is great and vital for improvement. I wish more people could understand that instead of just getting offended and becoming defensive.
>>
>>388643782
>>388644061
Genuine criticism such as...
>>
>>388602324
it's a nintendo game. Are you new in journalism?
>>
>>388644661
Try reading the thread for starters.
>>
File: 1462456984186.jpg (100KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
1462456984186.jpg
100KB, 670x503px
>>388644973
>WAAAAH WAAAH WEAPUNZ BREAK

Eh, anything else?
>>
>>388602324
because it's flawless
>>
>>388645145
Try reading the thread for starters.
>>
>>388645145
Renounce your faggotry and try again
>>
>>388645145
the rest of the thread
>>
>>388630558
They all have high durability and the Goron smasher is OP.

Otherwise yes, they're virtually worthless after about 20 hours and aren't worth the diamond to repair them, especially the gerudo champion set which is a low damage scimitar and a low tier shield.

Mipha's trident is alright since the spear moveset is OP as fuck at the start of the game, but everything fails to compete after your start getting lynel weapons and very powerful 2H weapons.

At that point about 30-40 hours in the entire game becomes a boring exercise in spin2win and even boss encounters don't stand a chance and you can kill some of them before they even stand up to start fighting.

Spin2win can kill the cyclops before their health bar even shows up, and the armor is also unbalanced with only 2 real viable sets for combat and one for climbing.
>>
People complaining about weapon durability are gigantic babies.
There is nothing wrong with it. You don't like it because it slightly moves you out of your comfort zone, and you refuse to adapt.
>>
File: 1503678543749.png (70KB, 221x322px) Image search: [Google]
1503678543749.png
70KB, 221x322px
>>388644661
Fine, I'll sum it up for you.

>Game has plenty of great ways to get around the overworld, but many areas are scarce except for some shrines
>There's only a handful of unique shrine puzzles
>Memories are scattered so fucking far apart that it's tedious to keep finding them
>Weapon variety consists of Bows, Swords, Bigger swords, Axes, Spears and a couple unique weapons
>Inventory management becomes a huge problem due to all the useless shit this game throws at you
>That ost is barebones as fuck
>The combat, overworld, main quest and enemy variety could have been a little more fleshed out since it got delayed for 3.5 years
>>
>>388645452
>I didn't read the thread and refuse to accept any and all criticism by default, but I'll insult those I disagree with anyway
>>
I only beat one divine beast (Zora) and about 15 hours into the game, but I'm not sure how amazing I feel.

It is a very good game, it feels polished, the music is great, and I actually am enjoying the story, but I don't feel life changed like people did. What were they experiencing?
>>
>>388645806
That's around the time I dropped the game, so I really can't tell you.

>but I don't feel life changed like people did. What were they experiencing?
Pretty sure it's just a potent combination of hype and fanboyism.
>>
File: 1457720200246.jpg (10KB, 231x219px) Image search: [Google]
1457720200246.jpg
10KB, 231x219px
>>388645242
>>388645421
What's there to read, anon and his UI problems? The guy complaining it doesn't have Souls combat? That's all the holy constructive criticism?

>>388645502
And here is a list of opinions. I didn't find the memories search tedius, i liked the OST, the weapons etc.

The biggest complaint i could agree on is that the game needed more "real" dungeons/beasts or make the ones we got longer

But anything else, about weapons breaking, the world being barren... that's really just an opinion, it's fine to have it but don't act like we should bow to your wisdom and thank you for your "constructive criticism"
>>
File: muh agendas.png (168KB, 640x918px) Image search: [Google]
muh agendas.png
168KB, 640x918px
>>388602324
Horizon was objectively a better open world game. nintenbros and the game 'journalists' just couldnt handle the fact that it sold way more on a system that has more titles than just 1.
>>
>>388644661

>>388645502
this, also
>combat is boring
>enemies scale HARD. from damage they deal to health they have
>every weapon you find in the early game is useless after a few hours of progression because of how the enemies scale with regions/areas

buddy, I don't hate botw. There are just some things I don't like about it
>>
>>388646009
I do stand by the belief that Horizon had way better combat and way funner enemy combinations to fight.
>>
>>388646003
>That's all the holy constructive criticism?
Not by a long shot.

>But anything else, about weapons breaking, the world being barren... that's really just an opinion
Whether or not you accept or dismiss that criticism is also an opinion. Many people would disagree with you. Nobody really minds if you agree or disagree, just that you accept criticism without belittling it or those who give it.
>>
>>388646249
>combat is boring
Eh, I'd go a step further and say
>combat is pointless
Only the bosses really matter, and you can take them on and win without ever having engaged any other enemy in the game. A lot of posts about combat in the thread.
>>
>>388646003
As long as we're bringing up constructive criticism, go play the darksiders games, then try playing BoTW.

You'll realize why so many people complain about the combat being boring as fuck in BoTW
>>
>>388646350
*accept the existence of criticism I should say
Nobody worth anything got to where they are without criticism. There are many who value it more than praise, especially as a means to improve. Anyone in any creative field worth their salt knows this very well.
>>
File: 6019f0ffde5f25a53530ba681c1ac29e.jpg (364KB, 1549x2901px) Image search: [Google]
6019f0ffde5f25a53530ba681c1ac29e.jpg
364KB, 1549x2901px
>>388602324
The inventory is definitely a bit of a negative in my book. I'd also prefer things like faster climbing were more of an upgrade to a standard outfit, since having to change into the full climbing set every time you want to climb a tall wall gets somewhat annoying. I'm not a huge fan of the breaking weapons, either. At the very least I'd like them to not break quite as quickly and perhaps be more rare to balance it out.

But honestly, all this pales in comparison to the positives for me. The overall gameplay is solid and the movement mechanics feel good and responsive. The world is probably the most open and vast I've ever seen, and while it's open and spacious it isn't empty. There's detail all over the place, but it isn't marked and doesn't clutter up the map, but instead let's you discover it yourself along the way. And then there's just how little handholding there is.

And then it just has amazing presentation. Sure, the graphics aren't anything special at all, but the artstyle, the music, everything just adds to that sense of melancholy, nostalgia and loneliness that permeates the world. And this is probably the most closest I've truly felt like I was on an adventure in any game.

So yeah, considering all that, a somewhat cluttered UI, breaking weapons and having to switch clothes a bit too often are minor gripes to me, and it might even be one of my all-time favorite games.
>>
>>388602324
>I didn't play it and the fact that people like something makes me upset
>>
>>388605709
>The game is so perfect this is the only complaint you can manufacture
>>
>>388602324
why is BoTW immune to criticism?
>>
>>388648838
>>388648948
Underage spotted.
>>
File: link_1.webm (239KB, 724x564px) Image search: [Google]
link_1.webm
239KB, 724x564px
>>388602324
Because it created a lot of porn
>>
>>388649030
Because of fanboys like this
>>388648838
>>388648948
>>
>>388645502
1. Objectively wrong. You can find shit all over and shrines dot all over the map. There's minibosses and hordes of common enemies all over the place hiding some treasure. There's a dozen stables and several towns where you can buy and sell stuff and get sidequests (though a lot of them are admittedly shit) in addition to story quests. That's not to mention the more unique stuff like dragons and fairy fountains, plus overworld puzzles and minidungeons like the labyrinths needed to unlock some shrines
2. Also objectively wrong and makes me think your just shitposting
3. There's only 12 and theyre forcing you to explore the world which is the whole point of the game
4. You forgot elemental weapons and wands, hammers, guardian weapons, korok leafs, etc.
5. I've found the inventory pretty quick and intuitive
6. What's there is nice. They probably didn't want a main theme for the overworld because it would've gotten annoying after hours on end
7. I might agree with you somewhat here. My one main complaint with the games was that the divine beasts are way to short
>>
>>388645502
>That ost is barebones as fuck
It's subtle but great and helps bring out the game's mood.
>>
>>388649270
Please learn what objectively means before trying to refute anyone.
>>
>>388649613
How am I using objectively wrong?
>>
>>388649230
How does that in any way make it immune to criticism? Come on now, anon.
>>
>>388649895
What they think of the overworld can differ from what you think of it. Whether it's empty or not is a matter of opinion.

I think they just failed to elaborate on point 2. Their points were all mostly cut short for brevity's sake. What they probably meant is that there are only a handful of certain types of puzzles. You have stasis puzzles, bomb puzzles, magnesis puzzles, etc. They're all fairly similar, and they're all very easy.
>>
>>388603126
>I like all the side stuff like getting a horse and building a house though
same anon until i realized that horses are useless and your house is basically just a place to store like 3 bows 3 swords 3 shields plus a free inn. plus the house is just in a literally who village that i feel no attachment to and i feel like link is out of place there.
>>
>>388650112
That obviously was not meant literally. Fanboys do their best to shut down any and all criticism by either attacking the source or sweeping it under the rug, thus making the game "immune" to criticism.
>>
>>388640451
You can only carry a finite amount weapons, theres way more at any time than you could ever carry.

Just mark them on your map. You can trigger the blood moon yourself by killing enemies.

The weapon durability complaints only exist because people desperately want to find something to complain about. Mountain out of a molehill.
>>
>>388650757
This. Horses and the house were a let down.
Horses just get abandoned constantly and your house is absolutely worthless. It's just a mandatory stepping stone to starting Tarrey Town.
>>
>>388650913
What a horrible attempt at a rebuttal
>>
>>388650757
>the house is just in a literally who village that i feel no attachment to and i feel like link is out of place there.

You know, it's heavily implied that it's YOUR house along, it's where you lived before you died 100 years earlier.

Not that you give a fuck, I'm just saying.
>>
>>388651376
really? i guess i didn't pick up on it.
>>
>>388651376
And that makes it useful how exactly?
>>
>>388650587
Okay yeah for the second point at first I thought he was saying there were barely any puzzles in the game, not talking about the quality of the puzzles themselves.

But the first point I still disagree and areas that are absolutely barren are the minority.
>>
>>388651485
pretty sure he wasn't making a rebuttal to my statement that it was basically useless but letting me know some background info to my issue with it feeling out of place. i mean, do you understand how this site works?
>>
>>388651501
>But the first point I still disagree and areas that are absolutely barren are the minority.
Nothing wrong with that. Just a difference of opinion. Technically, you're both "right".
>>
>>388607803
Agreed, replaying older, more enclosed games, there's actually a lot of fun to be had in denser, smaller environments if they're crafted well. Going through a ton of same-ish looking bland areas is meh, and doesn't foster an attachment. Just to OOT or TP Zora's domain. They're both small, but I've spent plenty of time enjoying the atmosphere and swimming around
>>
>>388607953
>I liked Skyward Sword more
Me too
And I didn't really like Skyward Sword
>>
>>388651682
> i mean, do you understand how this site works?
I'm unaware of how sleep works, leave me alone
>>
>>388611696
>Everything you need to finish the game is found in the dungeons
which zelda did you play? get with the time gramps.
>>
>>388602324
>>
>>388613705
i think this is why botw got such great reviews. the first 20 hours or so is fucking fantastic. only around 50 hours do you start to realize how you're never getting a new tablet ability, shrines all start to be rehases, horses aren't useful at all even though you spent a few hours taming and training different ones, you realize that there is basically 0 story and the memory cut scenes are basically trash anyway, by the time you finish the second dungeon you realize they're all going to have the same gimmick and are lackluster overall.

no one really thinks the people at kotaku played for more than 30 hours before scoring it, do they?
>>
>>388603126

I understand the game has its flaws, but I still don't understand why people hate weapon breakage. Weapons play a disposable role in the entire game and you're thrown new ones constantly, forcing you to make slight variations in your combat. It's pretty good. The only notable weapon that you might hate losing is the Master Sword, which doesn't break.

The hate on weapon breakage is just completely shallow, irrational and stubborn.
>>
>>388650850
They might "do their best", but they sure aren't doing a good job. Nothing's stopping you from stating your own opinion and commenting on others'. Sure there's the usual shit you have to expect on 4chan, but that's easy enough to ignore if you want to have a proper discussion.

So yeah, I still think calling it "immune to criticism" makes little sense.
>>
>>388617160
AT LEAST ZELDA IS A GAME FUCJ OFF
>>
>>388653475
>The only notable weapon that you might hate losing is the Master Sword, which doesn't break.
hylian shield blocks your path
>>
>>388653453
Sure anon, only you played enough of the game to recognize it was secretly bad all along and if anyone had fun beyond those 50 hours it was clearly only fake fun. You cracked the code!
>>
>>388654261
i did leave out the obvious drone angle, thanks for reminding me anon.
Thread posts: 422
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.