[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's this overgrown fetus and his planet's relation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 293
Thread images: 31

What's this overgrown fetus and his planet's relation to G-Man and the Combine, if any?

Why did the G-Man kick start the resonance cascade and the alien invasion just to have you stop it?
>>
The Nihilant was the leader of the Xen rebellion against the Combine.
>>
>>388493539
If killing Nihilant would have helped stop the alien invasion then HL2 wouldn't have happened.
>>
Definitely an interesting question about why G-Man started it just to make you stop it. Anybody have any possible answers?
>>
>>388493539
>advisers are Larvas
>Nil and Advisers look similar and have psychic powers
>Nil was probably a Combine "Molted" Adviser to watch Nen
>Gordon killing him sets the events for HL2
The red herring is Breen saying highest bidder bullshit to get you to think Gmam is evil, eventhough EVERYONE hates the fucking combine.
>>
>>388493659
iirc, this. gordon fucked the human race and gman is evil, and gordon is doing shit for him.
>>
>>388494062
G-man probably wanted the nihilanth dead.
>>
File: srs.jpg (16KB, 205x282px) Image search: [Google]
srs.jpg
16KB, 205x282px
>why does this unfinished story have plotholes in it
>>
>>388493539
Fetus was hiding from the Combine. Gman is part of a third party and we don't know their motivations. The Combine's goal is the conquer and exploit everything.
>>
>>388494038
You kill the Nihilanth to stop the Xen aliens from entering in through new portals as they have been the entire first game.
>>
>>388494062

Combine detects potal being open, either in Black Mesa or Aperture. They are coming, sooner or later. Gman can see time as a whole, and he discovers that puting things in movement with Freeman and Alyx will end in finding the real threat, the borealis, and saving his own kind. Sacrificing humanity in the process is a byproduct.
>>
BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY
>>
Gman is working FOR the Combine.
You kill the rebel leader for them.
You lead them to Earth.
You literally deliver the ship with the technology they need to them in Episode 3.
>>
>>388494430
So technically G-Man could be seen as an entity or thing that is in a dimension that is higher than the third
>>
>>388494549
>You literally deliver the ship with the technology they need to them in Episode 3.
but Gordon actually does see the Borealis start to blow up so that didn't turn out so well.
>>
>>388494549
oh shit.. but why does killing the nihilinth set vortigaunts free as seen in half life 2?
>>
>>388494680
You really think they wouldn't be able to figure out what they've been missing from the wreckage?
>>388494716
Because they don't give a shit about them.
>>
>>388494623
Gman and his race/whoever he works for propably have achieved what borealis can, move freely in time and space, and want to keep it away from combines.
>>
>>388494834
well shit that actually makes sense
>>
>>388494549
>Gman is working FOR the Combine.
no
>>
>>388494802
Depends on the kind of explosion

Maybe the Borealis fucking vaporized itself.
>>
File: G-man_heart_to_heart_headshot.jpg (21KB, 350x348px) Image search: [Google]
G-man_heart_to_heart_headshot.jpg
21KB, 350x348px
There's four groups:

1) The Combine

Type 4 Civilization. Controls vast swathes of this dimension. The most powerful force in the universe. Has conquered, enslaved, and destroyed countless planets.

2) The Nihilanth and the Xen Forces

Has their home world destroyed by the Combine. Manages to survive by developing the ability to enter a pocket dimension, the border world Xen. Despite being incredibly powerful the Combine has not developed the ability to traverse dimensions.

3) Humanity

Unknowingly stumbles upon discovering the technology to traverse dimensions and visit border worlds. As a result comes into contact with the Nihilanth who is hiding from the Combine. After defeating the Nihilanth the Combine takes notice of Earth and invades in hopes of securing the dimension traversing technology which seems to be the only tool the Combine has yet to develop for themselves.

4) G-Man and the Third Party

Is likely part of an alien race that lives in another dimension. The Combine is no threat to them as long as they cannot leave their own dimension. However the G-Man becomes aware of the Nihilanth and Humanity, two groups that have both developed inter-dimensional travel. As such the G-Man weaves a plan to wipe out both the Nihilanth and Humanity before either of them can have their knowledge of inter-dimensional travel fall into the hands of the Combine who could then begin invading other dimensions and become a threat to G-Man and his race.

So G-Man gets the Xen forces to destroy Black Mesa, gets Gordon to kill the Nihilanth, then gets the Combine to invade Earth (stunting the development of Humanities inter-dimensional research permanently), then has Gordon and Alyx destroy the Borealis. This leaves all 3 groups without the ability to ever become a threat to the G-Man and his employers. The only thing he doesn't account for is the Vortigaunts which were likely meant to lead to his downfall if the story was going to continue.
>>
Nobody knows who the Gman is. Not even Mcfuckface. Boggles me how people eat this shit up.
>>
>>388493539
G-Man didn't start the cascade, Breen is implied to have set it up in a deal with the combine.
>>
>>388497595
great post

>>388500014
uh no
>>
File: KardashevScale_v8.jpg (2MB, 1200x6084px) Image search: [Google]
KardashevScale_v8.jpg
2MB, 1200x6084px
It's meant to paint a bleak picture that everyone knew, but was too afraid to admit.

Humanity can't defeat the Combine. They lost the war in 7 hours for a reason. In the grand scheme of things, Earth is merely one more planet for them to colonize and subjugate. The higher-ups of the combine probably don't even know it exists or what is even happening because they have endless advisers and subordinates that even those "low-ranking" members of their "society" are given tasks like taking over planets, or perhaps even entire galaxies as a "rite of initiation" or political power.

Earth might just be a result of some Combine higher-up trying to climb a political ladder in his own God-like society.

We cannot even begin to understand the nature of their species, we stand no chance of ever destroying them because they're literally beyond us by a few types on the Kardashev scale.

Gordon realizes this in the epic crescendo as he catches a glimpse of the vastness of the Combine while traversing time and space itself. Alyx still does not realize this, and G-Man understand that he's better off exploiting a fresher, more gullible mind. Freeman knows too much of the true nature of things.

That even if they steer the ship in a bombastic display of courage and sacrifice, in the grand scheme of things, it'd be like shitting on the front lawn of a house, one of millions on a single planet, of a society of being that have millions of planets like this, with millions of houses, with millions of lawns.

Resistance is pointless, and everything else, with it, too.

It would of been the greatest gaming twist in video game history, and would of been fucking majestic to behold in front of us, that utter feeling of pointlessness sinking in and realizing everything we did up to that point, it didn't matter. We're but a speck of dust to the combine, a chess piece, they don't even know we exist. GLORIOUS.
>>
File: vorschau.jpg (23KB, 420x525px) Image search: [Google]
vorschau.jpg
23KB, 420x525px
>>388499893
But what if...
>>
>>388500654
It absolutely hilarious how no one talks this twist. G-man is so obviously old Gordon freeMAN I don't even now how more obviously they could even tell that.
>>
File: 1501509375474.png (274KB, 483x682px) Image search: [Google]
1501509375474.png
274KB, 483x682px
>>388500583
>would of
>>
>>388500872
I have no idea why the connection would be this,what the fuck would G-man be doing with his past or alternate version of him self?
>>
IIRC G-Man is the one who gave the Xen crystal sample to Black Mesa, it's possible Breen was trying to get in contact with higher beings and met the G-Man, or possibly discovered the existence of his species or the Combine
>>
>>388501068
Isn't part of the the timetravel/dimensionaltravel/ect stuff in Half Life paradox free?

If that's the case maybe he's trying to steer his past self away from becoming the G-man because it's a horrible fate and pure suffering?
>>
>>388497595
>>388500436
i thought the combine very specifically COULD dimension hop but could not hop between locations in a specific dimension
>>
>>388497595
What about the Vortigaunts? They pretty much have the same powers as G-man through the vortessence which makes it puzzling how they could have ever been enslaved to begin with.
>>
>>388497595
Except the Combine can travel through dimensions. That's their thing. They can't travel to different points in THE SAME dimension, which the Borealis can do. Its just the Combine technology works like a drill and uses a massive amount of energy to create holes between dimensions.

In a sense the Combine are not an intergalactic but rather an interdimensional empire.
>>
>>388501226
Why would he be so crptic about it all and a sneaky cunt and not just come out and say that?
>>
>no guys you wrong the plot MUST be this one
>entire plot could pretty much be just a patchwork mess made up to allow valve to somewhat have the games make sense as they test out different things
>>
What purpose could he possible serve in a future installment?
>>
>>388494062
I always assumed G-Man was a member of a higher level of beings, that run the universe like a business.
They send people like Gordon Freeman on contracts that a big alien species pays for, to have a problem cleaned up, or started.
>>
>>388501385
Maybe his employers are watching.
>>
>>388493539
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wVHMiXcdhU
>>
>>388501385
Because this game theory is just a theory.
>>
Does that mean bombing Black Mesa to hell was, in hindsight, a great idea, as Combine didn't get Earth's teleportation technology?
>>
>>388501925
WAIT HOLD ON WHAT IF THERE IS NO HALF LIFE 3 BUT WHAT IF NEW OPPOSING FORCE OR BLUESHIFT, NOBODY WOULD EXPECT THAT
>>
>>388502392
Outside of the whole situation resulting in Earth getting invaded and subjugated, yeah.
>>
>>388497595
This would all make sense if it wasn't for the fact that it was G-Man who gave Black Mesa the crystal.
>>
>>388501925
Let Sheperd rest. Better that he remain in stasis in a pocket dimension than have OpFor back under modern Gearbox. Imagine playing through an OpFor in stylized graphics stuffed full of epic memes pulled off iFunny and red-itte written by that one fag.

>I used to be HECU like you, but then I took a crowar to the kneea
>>
>>388497595
If he's so all powerful how can he not have a plan for the vortigaunts?
>>
File: Space Oprah.jpg (8KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Space Oprah.jpg
8KB, 300x225px
>>388501385
>>388500872
>>388500654
What if the G-man is a human, time-travelling demi-god, and the sequence of events that led to humanity being exposed to the technology of other civilisations led them to becoming the most advanced civilisation in the multiverse?

You would make sure that your species is exposed to alien technology, and then you would ensure that humanity is left alone afterwards to innovate and advance itself.

Think about it, research on the borealis isn't gone, the theories aren't gone, the scientists aren't (all) gone and other portal technology is still kicking around. This plus humanity getting an idea about dark matter generators = unlimited resources and scope for expansion.
>>
>>388494282
kys
>>
>>388493539
Killing the Nihilanth brought the Combine to Earth. He wanted the Combine on Earth.
>>
>>388504469
I don't have fucking time to think of these theories knowing this game series is dead, god fucking damn it.

you know this rich, expansive world lore we have, with incredible aesthetic and god tier and hundreds upon hundreds of man hours perfecting the story so every thing fit into perfect place to create this masterpiece of a series, and we can NEVER replicate it again?

yeah

shall we replace it with a dota card game

yeah sure

alright thanks

VALVE
>>
>>388493539
Fuck off matpat.
>>
>>388504115
It makes the most sense though
>Screw over humanity's portal research by starting off the resonance cascade, resulting in a complete catastrophe that tears open a portal to a hostile alien dimension
>Said alien dimension is also conveniently the one where G-man has his stakes (killing Nihilanth)
>Resulting mess attracts the Combine, who subjugate humanity and stunt it's growth so that it may never rediscover the portal technology
All accomplished in one go.
>>
>>388493539
xen is an interdenominational crossroads nihlanth escaped to,he's the last of his race and he kept the portal open so vortigaunts could escape to the human world

i'm pretty sure he's a slave too
>>
>>388504648
It would be a fitting end to the series though, humanity getting its ass kicked and then becoming the ultimate power in known existence.

Theres even scope for more games, once humanity is advanced enough they declare war on the combine and completely and utterly destroy them, wiping out entire universes of them if need be.
>>
>>388504815
Yeah... nah. I gotta say Marc's writing was more enjoyable than what you've proposed.
>>
>>388504712
Humanity wasn't subjugated enough though.
After 'Gerdman' attacks the combine directly the connection the combine have to Earth is completely severed.

Humanity stews in anger for a while with a shit-tonne of advanced technology to kick-start their time-travelling shenanigans. >>388504469
>>
>>388500583
>Earth is merely one more planet for them to colonize and subjugate. The higher-ups of the combine probably don't even know it exists
>The ENTIRE PLOT OF THE EPISODES are about the fact that they really want to find the Borealis because it could be their most powerful weapon and first step to universal conquest due to them being able to teleport anywhere without needing a giant portal like the one in the Citadel
>lol they don't care about earth

Fuck off with this rearded copypasta
>>
>>388504881
What I've proposed is basically half-true though.

No significant combine presence after the borealis crash means humanity is free to do whatever with the technology they have at their disposal.
Whether that means perfecting time-travel doesn't really matter, humanity has already won if they have the dark matter generator technology. There's no way it wouldn't have been studied and additional information about it left around.
>>
>>388501925
Kicking ass like a mini Doomguy.
>>
>>388493539
Looks like a combine mutation

Hmm...the implications....
>>
>>388500583
>pointless
Assuming they don't have the means to come back (hence their search for the Borealis), we completely severed their connection to Earth back in Ep2.

I think for now that's good enough.
>>
>>388505081
>the Borealis is superduper mega important to the Combine
>they withdraw their troops after the war and leave it to Breen and some incompetent Overwatch faggots to find it

No, they obviously don't give a shit about Earth or the Borealis. People that care don't act like that.
>>
>>388500583
>meaningless relative to the combine
Literally who gives a fuck. When I shit on someones lawn i don't think "Damn, I will never get to shit on every other lawn out there." I Think "I am going to shit on this lawn."
Who cares, man? No, really? Why must we be significant to the combine to be significant at all? Might as well say we should all give up and go home because we aren't significant to ants.
The point of fighting the combine is relative survival, not conquest.
>>
>>388500583
So few times a videogame script live our expectations... yet this one does, just to realize will never be translated into a videogame

ironic isn't it?

fuck vereything, fuck valve, fuck you!!
>>
File: 1497125167533.gif (899KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1497125167533.gif
899KB, 600x600px
>>388497595
I wonder if he know about Glados
>>
>>388500654
looks like david bowie
>>
>>388501385
It'd probably risk sending Gordon down the wrong path by knowing too much and having actual "choice", as opposed to being fed just the right information and placement to domino everything just right.
>>
File: breengrub.jpg (32KB, 600x211px) Image search: [Google]
breengrub.jpg
32KB, 600x211px
>>388497595
You forgot the grub faction who are still out there hidden from the Combine. Might be part of the same side as the vortigaunts or completely separate.
>>
>>388505402
glados is non existent in the HL universe, and aperture isn't the meme company it is in Portal
>>
WHat/Who the fuck are Borealis?

t. someone who only played HL1 + HL1 Blue Shift
>>
>>388505971
A portal boat.
>>
>>388505962
What makes you think so?
>>
>>388505971
a ship containing technology developed in aperture science, aka the company behind the portal gun and shit in Portal, which takes place in the same universe as half life
>>
>>388505996
>>388506317
Oh shit. This sounds kinda intriguing, maybe I should play the HL2 games after all
>>
File: 1503816038372.jpg (100KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1503816038372.jpg
100KB, 640x960px
>>388506384
Yup, the sequence when you finally get on the Borealis is truly something.
>>
>>388505962
What makes it a meme company?
>>
>>388506284
The writing, the atmosphere, it comes off as just a very interesting 'what-if' spin off. The only connection being the company name really.
>>
>>388505962
Don't the events of portal take place way after the events of Half Life, though?
>>
>>388506692
And the borealis? Or glados alluding to combine?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIO3lDSoCcc

Holy fucking shit this cutscene REEEEEEE GIVEME HALF LIFE 2 EPISODE 3 I WANT MY TENDIES I WANT MY TENDIES I NEED IT NOW GABE REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>388506692
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbqOwh2s3M
The shipyard where the borealis was built
>>
>>388501432
Everyone knows this is the real answer you autist, but you can still have discussions.

Might as well never discuss any plot element in anything because the ulterior motive will always be "for sales" or "for critical acclaim"
>>
>>388493539
More importantly, what's that thing jammed up its ass?
>>
>>388506996
Does she mention the combine specifically? I just checked my last played on portal/portal 2, and that was back in fucking 2011 so I could be missing something. I thought she just mentioned that being a lab rat was better than being outside, for a nondescript reason.
>>
>>388507085
combine technology?
>>
>>388507001
>all that fucking atmosphere

holy fucking shit that SOUND design if something else, the sound of the room, the voices,the foot steeps, everything is just enough to suck your mind into it

we've gone fucking backwards
>>
>>388507239
People just shifted focus to MUH grafix
>>
>>388507152
No, she just say she's the only barrier between "them" and Chell
>>
>>388507051
>They were still building up to episode 3 even if it was in a roundabout way
>Get caught up in VR, esports, and microtransactions and don't seem to have worked on episode 3 in years
Gabe had an interview in 2015 where he said they weren't working on it and didn't even have plans to work on it.
>>
>>388494062

Bad writing?
>>
>>388500654
No, he's Alyx and Gordon's SON
>>
>>388507468
I think maybe they had some ideas about HL3/Ep3. They maybe played around for a bit with it then scrapped it. In the end, the hype is too large for the company. Putting out anything that doesn't have mass appeal is risky.
>>
File: squint.png (102KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
squint.png
102KB, 450x443px
>>388506623
ANON STOP
>>
>>388493539
The answer is that in the first G-man was a man in black and worked for the government. He wanted to instigate the experiment and take over xen, which they already knew about. The end of the game shows that the military has taken the dimension. He also sets off a nuke in order to cover up the events.

In 2 they totally changed this to him being a magic alien man.
>>
>>388507685
>Portal 2 didn't have a single challenging puzzle
The coop had some clever ones but the story mode definitely was made very easy to avoid stumping any casuals
>>
>>388508003
I enjoyed a lot of the community made portal maps. And I don't think a single Portal 2 portal held up compared to original Portal's level design.
>>
>>388500583

We can beat them to death with crowbars

Checkmate, galatic empire.
>>
>>388493539
The first and second games might as well be unrelated in story.

Though, if we're discussing it, it's probably >>388494430. There's a theory that G-man is a matured combine advisor.
>>
>>388507982
Did you even play Half Life 1?
The ending in 1 shows him like he's shown in 2
>>
>>388501318
In HL2 you literally use a combine local teleporter.
>>
>>388508290
Mossman had literally just built it.
>>
>>388508290
their local tp has a delay and really long charge time
>>
The G-Man is part of a space Illuminati that controls events throughout the multiverse.

A lot would be answered if we knew what the unforeseen consequences are the G-Man refers to and is even mentioned in one of the first levels of HL1.
>>
>>388508176
He quite literally says "the border world is under our control for now" and shows signs of a military battle in xen. Men in black are supposed to have otherwordly traits.
>>
>>388508397
Well i assume they dont store all their information on tapes, so having built it once they now have it to hand.
>>
>>388508443
In HL1 it's the hostiles on the other end of the portal, and in Ep2 it's Eli's death.
>>
>>388507982
>sets off a nuke
first of all, you do that. You launch the nuke to close the portal on the Earth side, but Discover the portal is being held upon by the Nihilanth on their side
The nuke works just like it works in episode 2 where you close the combine homeworld portal
>>388508830
Did you forget the game ends with you and Gman on a tram floating through space or some shit? That's not being a magical space wizard?
>>
>>388500654
gman is freeman's doppelganger from another dimension

is the other HALF of his LIFE
>>
>>388493539
>The G-Mans employer wanted ownership of Xen but the Overgrown Fetus was squatting on the land.
>Mr. Fetus was the overlord of a caste based society that was defeated by the Combine and forced to hide in exile in Xen. Mr. Fetus did not like living in Xen, on account of it being a massive shithole.
>Knowing this, the G-Man gave Black Mesa the crystal that triggered the resonance cascade. When humanity accidentally tore a portal to Xen open, Mr. Fetus saw an opportunity to invade Earth so he and his society could actually live on a decent planet.
>If the Xen invasion of Earth was a success, than Mr. Fetus and Co. would fuck off from Xen, which means that the G-Mans employers could claim ownership of Xen. If they failed in the invasion, then Mr. Fetus would be dead and the G-Mans employers could claim ownership of Xen. Either way, the invasion is a win-win scenario for the G-Man and his employers
>Obviously Mr. Fetus fails and is killed. The vortiguants, formerly the slaves of their previous society, are grateful that humanity liberated them and peacefully settle on Earth
>Xen, being empty now, falls under the control of the G-Mans employers
>The Combine notice all the interdimensional fuckery going on and are attracted to Earth
>Race X presumably fucks off after their Gene Worm gets killed and they don't even want to bother competing with the Combine for Earth.
>>
half life series is just a huge analogy for work

the gman tells you what to do and you have to do it, while he knows real reasons behind shit and he discusses it with people beyond your rank in the workplace. all the hush hush shit and hiding shit, and 'need to know basis' shit. even the embarrassment of the humans thinking they're right and have great ideas for something, only to have everything crash down because those ideas were formed without knowing the entire picture, and ultimately a pointless waste of time.

gman is probably just trying to get promoted and obtain some 2 dollar pay rise.
>>
File: 1467120635029.jpg (371KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1467120635029.jpg
371KB, 1280x1440px
>>388501432
This to be honest.

Most people don't seem to realise that Laidlaw was hired when Half Life was almost finished to just take all the shit they had and tie it together a bit. It's not like the whole game was built around some master story plan from the beginning.
>>
>>388509482
Yes, but I also enjoyed what his ending would be.
>>
>>388507001

>their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor

still gets me.
>>
>>388493539
If it was supposedly independant and hated the Combine why did it have surgicsl stiching on it's belly and why did it try to kill humanity instead of just allying with them?
>>
>>388509010
No you shoot a missile into space, gman nukes the black mesa facility.
>>
File: 1493064951547.png (532KB, 518x584px) Image search: [Google]
1493064951547.png
532KB, 518x584px
>>388499893
>he doesn't like a good mystery
>>
>>388509634
>why did it have surgicsl stiching on it's belly
Maybe it has surgery?

>why did it try to kill humanity instead of just allying with them?
Because then it would have access to the entirety of Earths resources rather than have to share them.
>>
>>388509010
I don't think you could have missed the point of that guy's post any harder if you tried.

>>388507982
This is 100% true and clearly what they were originally going for. Everyone forgets the marines on Xen, and that the resonance cascade was implied to be a conspiracy between the 'administrator' and the Gman, though they do briefly hint at this near the end of HL2 as well.
>>
>>388509010
It's magical but the game is about teleportation and border worlds, research was even going on in xen long prior to the game's events. So when it is under control a tram flying through isn't unimaginable.
>>
>>388494549
>You literally deliver the ship with the technology they need to them in Episode 3.
I don't understand where the idea that Combine need Borealis comes from. Just because they use portals doesn't mean that they need it, maybe portals are just the most stable and cheapest technology for transportation, while field system is either too risky or too bothersome and they only use it in rare cases. They may want to study it as a relic.
>>
>>388509979
Combine need an exit portal to travel somewhere, Borealis doesn't.
>>
>>388509847
I dunno, I never gave much thought to the marines and tanks in Xen. I mean, later in the game we see more and more of Xen being teleported to Black Mesa, I just figured that the cascade was a two way street and some chunks of Black Mesa got teleported to Xen.
>>
>>388510037
Yes, and? Again, if field technology is inherently unstable that doesn't mean they need it, that is the universal combine, not the part that was left on Earth. Those on Earth actually need it to leave the planet. They may want to study human interpretation of the tech, but as we can clearly see our interpretation was hardly stable at all.
>>
>>388510037
Then how did they reach Earth? With the portal closed on our end by the missile/satellite/whatever on our end, and the portal closed on the Xen end with the death of the Nihilith, what portal did the combine use to reach Earth?
>>
>>388493539
GMan literally explains that his employers wanted control of Xen
>>
>>388510209
After the Resonance Cascade there were portals opening all over the Earth.

>>388510178
They can't travel wherever they want. With technology from Borealis they can.
>>
>>388494549
Gman is an agent working for an organisation so far ahead into the future on business matters that barely concern the combine invasion, but more to make sure the sequence of events are optimal for the time he's from
>>
>>388493539
What the hell did the Gman mean when he told Alex to tell her dad prepare for unforeseen consequences. The scene was great in game as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8zmNU0AAJw
>>
>>388497595
There haven't been enough posts pointing out that it's explicitly stated that the combine are only capable of inter-dimensional travel but not intra-dimensional teleportation.
>>
>>388501318
Wasn't the only reason they could travel between dimensions because they abused the portal storms caused by the resonance cascade?
So they couldn't travel between dimensions whenever they felt like it, but only because there was an opening or something like that.
>>
>>388501925
Back up for Freeman if Freeman went rogue.
>>
>>388510209
After nihilanth's death a portal storm occurs and the combine travel through this to earth via xen. They then set up a permanent link.
>>
>>388510687
This is what i took from it.
>>
>>388504115
What was the Unforseen Consequences experiment actually supposed to accomplish?
>>
>>388510542
He wants the Borealis destroyed, getting Eli to freak out about it starts the chain of events that leads to Alyx blowing it up.
>>
>>388493539
I always thought G-man was originally working for the Combine, but by the time of HL2 he got a new employer and was working against them. I don't think the G-man gives a shit about who he works for, as long as the pay is good.
>>
>>388511158
I dunno what to make of Gman. Maybe it was just because more screen time in HL2 but he felt more vengeful/vindictive in this part of the story.
>>
>>388509979
Borealis can travel through time and space instantly
The Combine do NOT have the means of time travel and efficient teleportation in our universe
so yes
If they get their hands on the borealis is pretty much fucks the universe.
>>
>>388511193
It probably has something to do with the fact that, for the first time possibly ever, his plans were directly challenged when the vorts took Freeman out of storage.

I don't think he has it out for Freeman in a personal sense, but I think he started taking the whole affair more personally after being directly challenged at his own game.
>>
>>388511090
literally 7 seven steps ahead of everyone.
>>
>>388493659
>The Nihilant was the leader of the Xen rebellion against the Combine.
I thought he was a slave of Combine, working for them unwillingly?
>>
>>388500654
G-Man's accent is painfully non-human. It's like a skinwalker trying to speak. Whatever G-Man is, I sincerely doubt he's human.
>>
>>388494623
>So technically G-Man could be seen as an entity or thing that is in a dimension that is higher than the third
Most definitely. He can probably not only move freely in four spatial dimensions but also time.
>>
>>388511738
Actually on second thought I think he's inspired by the Men in Black, who in urban legends are generally non-humans pretending to be human, coming to silence or discourage people from prodding.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
21KB, 480x360px
How do you feel that Dota is part of HL/Portal canon? Wisp is a multidimensional being, and discovered this "artefact" after jumping dimension.
>>
>>388505081
>>388505272
Maybe is one of this two:
>The Universal Union is already super advanced enough to not give a shit, it will be nice to get that tech but they don't care enough to put effort.
>Or they actually don't know it even exist, only their Earth forces do and are trying to get it to gain political levelage in the Universal Union Empire.
>>
File: o4d1F43[1].jpg (114KB, 1793x519px) Image search: [Google]
o4d1F43[1].jpg
114KB, 1793x519px
>>388511891
Also to note is the combine logo on the recipe item.
>>
Making the plot a macguffin chase was the mistake.
>>
>>388511937
>Be mega advance civilization
>We should put the skulls of our subjects in our logo, that way they will know we are good guys!
>>
>>388512045
Worked for the nazis :^)
>>
>>388512045
i'm pretty sure they honestly don't give a fuck about our perception of them
>>
>>388500583
Yeah, but:
It doesn't matter that humanity is insignificant to the Combine - that doesn't make the struggle any more pointless than the realization that we're insignificant to all the countless galaxies out there. Humanity is still significant to humanity - the struggle is still just as significant, if seemingly hopeless. But there could be hope of survival precisely *because* the Combine is so far removed from human capabilities. And the portal technology could be one tool that could potentially be used to hide from or actually destroy them at some point in the future.
>>
>>388512117
I don't know about that. Although they seem to deal with individuals harshly, as a whole, given their technology, they treat humanity with kid gloves
>>
File: Nazis.jpg (31KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Nazis.jpg
31KB, 1024x576px
>>388512115
>>
>>388512157
earth is like their backyard, we're just some bugs on a stone
>>
>>388494549
They already had the Borealis according to the letter. Based on G-Man's activity, he/his employers are more developed than the Combine. He was preventing both the Combine and the humans from mastering the technology in the Borealis.
Combine were right. Fuck the G-Man.
>>
>>388494282
Van looks like such a tool god damn
>>
>>388512157
no they don't
they just saw we barely registered as a 0.3 civilisation so they just send their mall cop division to take us out.

but if they saw the borealis it would've been a whole other story
>>
>>388497595
Why did G-Man warn Eli that there will be Unforseen Consequences then?
Why did Nihilanth attack Earth instead of trying to communicate cooperate against Combine?
>>
>>388512263
>>388512348
Yes, they definitely do. They could have just finished the 7 hour war and made it 10 hours and exterminated us. But they didn't.
>>
>>388512407
because we have Valuable tecnology they hadn't imagine, nothing else, and they will probably exterminate us eventually, remember that they put shit in the water so you can't have kids
>>
>>388512395
>Why did Nihilanth attack Earth instead of trying to communicate cooperate against Combine?

Because that would mean having to share Earths resources with a bunch of dumbshits who have no idea what is going on.
>>
File: 1349442019_hl2_ru_fanart_272.jpg (1MB, 3476x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1349442019_hl2_ru_fanart_272.jpg
1MB, 3476x1240px
>>388512479
They will probably do the same thing they did to many other species: turn us into synths.
>>
>>388512567
>it's better to be dead
Nihilanth was retarded and got what he deserved
>>
>>388505971
Why wouldn't you play Half Life 2? It's pretty awesome and atmospheric if you don't have inflated expectations.. which you probably do, but eh
>>
>>388500583
>Humanity can't defeat the Combine
But the interstellar ante has already been upped. We have the vorts on our side, and there are theoretically countless races throughout dimensions who would love to strike back at the Combine. We aren't alone in opposing them, but we are in a unique position of having research and technology that presumably no one else has, hence their desire for it.

The vortigaunts had their home world completely destroyed, they should have already succumbed to the feeling of futility we're expected to feel at the end of Ep.3, but they are among the biggest proponents of resistance on earth. They're on a higher level than humanity to begin with and can even directly oppose the G-Man, but they look up to Gordon and recognize his limitless potential. Even if earth itself is a lost cause, fighting the Combine isn't, and humans still have an important place in that fight.
>>
G man = god
Alyx = Mary sent back in time at the end of ep 3 to give birth to
Freeman = Jesus
Breen = Judas
Combine = Jews
Foetus thing = herod or something
>>
>>388511738
>It's like a skinwalker trying to speak
this
>>
>>388501983

next up on /v/ insight, water is wet and the sun is hot
>>
>>388512890
dog = the donkey they rode in on
>>
>>388494062
At the end of HL1, he says "The border world of Xen is now under our control, thanks to you". So G man set up everything, fucked over Freeman and Earth as a whole just to get what he (or his superiors) wanted
>>
>>388512876
Not to mention the infinite cave johnsons
>>
File: Cia_butcher.jpg (209KB, 469x639px) Image search: [Google]
Cia_butcher.jpg
209KB, 469x639px
Reminder that the CIA soldiers are just as canon as the episode 3 leaks
>>
>The Hunter is literally a synth houndeye
>>
>>388494802
Wreckage? The explosion from the Borealis was intended to destroy the staging post that the Combine were using, and when I say destroy, I mean nuke the entire fucking planet that it was located on... it'd be like trying to salvage parts from a nuclear bomb after its exploded.
>>
>>388507001
>I have so much to tell you <gets interrupted and the conversation never happens>
I hate it when games, movies, books do this. I like mystery, but fucking hell, this kind of tease just gets to me
>>
File: Houndeye.jpg (111KB, 940x620px) Image search: [Google]
Houndeye.jpg
111KB, 940x620px
>>388513664
>>
File: 1503637887514.jpg (85KB, 584x584px) Image search: [Google]
1503637887514.jpg
85KB, 584x584px
>>388513498
>additude
>>
>>388513498
He's a big guy
>>
>>388513498
>Doctor Freeman, I am CIA.
>>
>>388494549
According to the way it is described, the Bootstrap device is like a video camera that is constantly scrubbing back and forth between the time it was turned on and however far along it has gotten in recording. From outside the device's field, it phases in and out of the current time only briefly, but while inside the field, you are in a sort of independent timeline where time flows normally and you can see yourself being ping-ponged between the endpoints.

The fact that Gordon and Alyx were able to see the Combine homeworld means that the Combine already successfully recovered the Borealis in the future. Destroying the bootstrap device simply deleted the "video" and stopped the Borealis in the present, but in this case the present is actually the future from Gordon and Alyx's perspective. The vortigaunts pull Gordon back to earth in a future where no one he remembers is left and the current population has barely even heard of him.
>>
>>388513971
>The vortigaunts pull Gordon back to earth in a future where no one he remembers is left and the current population has barely even heard of him.
It can't be that far in the future though, since everyone is infertile
>>
>>388513691
No, the goal was to destroy the bootstrap device so the Combine couldn't get their hands on it. Sending the Borealis self-destructing into the Dyson sphere was just a bonus that they hoped would do some extra damage to the Combine, but that turned out not to be the case.
>>
>>388500014
G-man 100% set up the events of the cascade - he hand delivered the crystal that caused the cascade to Black Mesa and ordered its study on the day.
>>
>>388514110
You disable the infertility field in one of the episodes.
>>
File: Cia_female_soldier.jpg (163KB, 419x638px) Image search: [Google]
Cia_female_soldier.jpg
163KB, 419x638px
*Blocks your path*
>>
>>388514110
>>388514193
The Suppression field is dissable in HL2.
Kleiner does tell the rebels to get bussy in a episode.
>>
>>388514189
He also tipped off the HECU that there was going to be a cascade.
>>
>>388514195
>Nipples poking through the shirt.
Good bless the 90s.
>>
>>388505927
>The superstructure is riddled with cracks
Uh, so the dyson sphere is vulnerable after all
>>
>>388493539
The gman started this?
I don't recall, but I thought once the humans created portal tech, Gman just started showing up.
>>
>>388513664
>>388513752
>They both have three legs so they're the same species
>>
>>388514140
I thought the Borealis was a piece of tech that the gman couldnt let humans or combine get their hands on so he manipulated Alex into sending it in as a suicide bomb.
>>
>>388500654
Good lord I haven't seen this image since like 2009 on some forum
>>
>>388514470
Kleiner and Mossman wanted you to recover it so they could research it. Eli is opposed to it because he's thinking it's going to be Black Mesa all over again, and when Alyx relays G-Man's message, he's absolutely convinced it has to be stopped.

The important thing here is that Eli thinks he's defying G-Man by calling for the destruction of the Borealis, but the twist is that's what G-Man wanted all along.
>>
File: 1370650714496.jpg (27KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1370650714496.jpg
27KB, 400x399px
>combine can build a Dyson Sphere
>their army is so shit they lose against a guy with crowbar

Explain this
>>
>>388512890
How can Breen be Judas when he was correct? He tried to warn everybody
>>
>>388514937
Because Overwatch isn't the Combine army. Calling them an accurate depiction of the Combine army is like calling the security guard at the post office an accurate representation of the United States Army.

The actual, real deal Combine military BTFO all human resistance in less than 7 hours.
>>
>>388497595
>type 4
If they were type 4 there wouldn't be any rebellions
>>
>when you go in the Nihilanth fight, there are havsuit marines on the floor where you get health from

is this other failed versions of Gordon from other dimensions or ir is other random humans hes sent throughout time and they've all failed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTpmtG5UuRE

exactly one minute in for reference
>>
>>388515505
They are fucking members of the Suvey Team Gordon was part of.
>>
>>388497595
>Type IV
They are AT LEAST a Type II. That is a huge fucking leap.
>>
>>388510354
Reminder that G-Man is being insubordinate by saving Alyx, he straight up tells you that whoever he is working with/for objected to her part in the plan.
>>
>>388511738
>>388512994
Imagine you are a timeless being who regularly interacts with multitudes of aliens, you'd pick up an autistic manner of speaking as well
>>
>>388501925
>Gordon is running around earth playing with mall cops
>Adrian is doing real hardcore smash and grab shit against combine installations through out the dimensions

Alternatively
>Alyx follows Gman through his portal
>Gman swings by a certain osprey to drop off Adrian's new toy
>>
>>388512890
Crowbar - palm
Gravity Gun - water turned into wine
>>
>>388501925
>>388516034
A game where you play as Adrian travelling to different combine worlds and installations or just doing errands for G-man would be cool.
>>
G-Man basically puts a blunt wall infront of everything we do, it's like nothing matters, it doesn'teven matter if the combine are a near godlike society kh 2 level, bordering 3, if Gordon does something too good or saviour like,G-man will just stop him. You just can't beat G-man, he is the ultimate cock block of progression,we will only succeed to how far he wants us too

FUCK FINISH IT GABE!!!!!!
>>
File: gordon's weapons half-life.jpg (477KB, 1500x1071px) Image search: [Google]
gordon's weapons half-life.jpg
477KB, 1500x1071px
I take the name "G-man" literally.
G-man works for some secret government/private cabal with their own advanced research team. They've been stealing research from Black Mesa and everyone else for some time. At some point, they acquired the ability to zip through time and space at will with minimal effort.
G-man and his buddies secluded themselves in some kind of pocket dimension and kick started the resonance cascade all as some part of massive plan to eventually gain control of the entire Combine empire. G-man and co. do not care how long this takes because they are totally separate from the normal flow of time at this point. They are essentially gods using everyone else as pawns.
Because the Vortiguants apparently have similar abilities, they are the only ones who can defy G-man and co.
>>
>>388516724
G-Man is Gordon freeMan
>>
>>388500654
what's a dyson sphere?
>>
>>388512045
Given that the combine symbol represents the dyson sphere, the overwatch symbol basically means "we own your ass". Seriously, it's the same symbol but with a human skull instead of the star-circle.
>>
Why does G-Man act like he had a plan all along for Alyx when he was going to let her die at the end of HL2? The vortigaunts had to step in and save her from the explosion at the beginning of Episode 1, G-Man only pulled Freeman into stasis.
>>
>>388516724
Gman is a name that was given by the players, not Valve.
>>
>>388505927
>>388514314
>a joke twitter account from 5 years ago is a reliable source of information
>>
>>388517059
We don't see if that's the case. We see from Gordons perspective that he pulls us into stasis, but time is still stopped. He could plan to pull her too, but Vorts interfered.
>>
>>388504712
>Massive wastes of post industrial population boom killed off
>Combine cut off from Earth
>Just enough people to rebuild human society and continue research
>We evolve.
>>
>>388517070
The name comes from the name of his model in HL1's assets
>>
>>388517113
>A joke hat making company is a reliable source of videogame canon.
>>
>>388517113
a joke twitter account created and maintained by marc laidlaw
>>
>>388517113
That's Laidlaws twitter you fucking retard. All it says is canon.
>>
>>388511603
he escaped the combine
>>
>>388517284
>slaves ... we are their slaves ... we are ...
>>
>>388517257
>>388517258
top kek, sure it is bud
>>
>>388517253
>>388517257
>>388517258
>responding to it
There are multiple of those shitposters in every thread.
>>
File: 1324565273848.jpg (14KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
1324565273848.jpg
14KB, 228x221px
>come to these threads to read interesting theories about HL 'lore'
>realize we're never going to get a real closure anyways
>get sad
>>
>>388517346
>“Basically it's me writing Dr. Breen fanfic,” continues Laidlaw. “I am his biggest fan!”
>calls the account fanfic
>calls Epistle 3 a fanfic
>breengrub features in Epistle 3
>>
>>388517468
Valve is working on HL3 right now. The Episode 3 "leak" was to finish off Gordon's HL2 story.
>>
>>388517318
he escaped them and hid on Xen and tried to move to Earth
>>
>>388517630
>The Episode 3 "leak" was to finish off Gordon's HL2 story.
Yeah. Couldn't they just make the fucking episode in like 6 months on Source since they had it basically done already?
>>
>>388517216
He doesn't interfere when Alyx is effectively killed in Episode 2, either. The vortigaunts have to save her, and G-Man exploits the situation to make contact with Gordon. Gordon is still his most valuable asset at that point and Alyx is just his tool for delivering a message to Eli.
>>
>>388517346
glad you agree pal
>>
>>388512045
>Hans... Are we the baddies?
>>
>>388517760
1. Because Source is old as fuck.
2. Since Valve lacks any kind of hierarchy, games are not made because nobody feels like making them.
>>
>>388504183
How did gearbox sink so low? Did their talent all get replaced ? What about the higher ups?
>>
>>388518009
>1. Because Source is old as fuck.
yeah, but they already were building the episode on that engine, they could just as well release it
Also, source's got potential, look at Titanfall.
>>
>>388518097
>Titanfall
Is Titanfall on source engine? What the fuck?

How many licenses did valve sell with their engine ?
>>
File: 1503220707197.png (271KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
1503220707197.png
271KB, 690x388px
>>388512045
lots of smaller groups in all militaries, including the US have sound pretty far out there patches. Skulls are not considered "far out there".

The DEA has a ton of really funny ones
>>
>>388494282
Seriously this. Half Life is as autistic in claiming there's a genuine link between Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid.
>>
I love the first game but let's not pretend that Half-Life has a story
>>
>>388507001
The voice actor for G-Man is one in a billion.
>>
>>388518765
They just made it up as they went, I'm almost convinced g-man saying that Xen was under our control meant that the US had occupied and pacified the area and he was just a creepy government official at first
>>
>>388507001
Wait, was the G-man behind Eli's death? I always thought he was talking about Borealis.
>>
>>388518336
You can tell it's source by brining up the chat in Titanfall. It's that classic CSS chatbox.
>>
>>388519069
>I'm almost convinced g-man saying that Xen was under our control meant that the US had occupied and pacified the area and he was just a creepy government official at first
I am pretty sure that was the case as he explicit shows HECU troops in Xen and tells you he took your gun because "they were government propiety"
>>
>>388504712
But Aperture were the ones to come up with portal technology. Why the fuck did G-Man give the black crystal to Black Mesa?

Your theory doesn't hold. G-Man giving the crystal still makes no sense.
>>
>>388520737
What do you think Black Mesa were researching then? Aperture's portal technology is a joke and requires moon dust to work in the first place. Black Mesa had more or less stable teleporters capable of reaching Xen and beyond up and running even back then.
>>
>>388520737
He gave them the crystal so the combine could find a way to earth.
>>
>>388497595

The G-Man is like the Wyld Hunt of the witcher.
>>
>>388514308
>>388514195
>shorts
>big tank top that says CIA
>pigtails
>gun that looks like it came out of 40k

Half-Life was practically a duke nukem game
>>
>>388506284
Different series with different tones. If any Portal content appeared in Half-life, it would have to "depower" to match the setting. They are technically in the same universe but they are set and written very differently. Portal isn't as serious and plays the technology and characters with much looser rules which would make no sense as a device in Half-life's drama.

If the two ever had characters/plot points cross over in a meaningful way, they would both compromise the writing goals of the other. Why is it so easy for Aperture to have accidentally invented time travel, traverse dimensions and establish the field of xenobiology, modify human limbs to be immune to fall damage, streamline all of their technology to be portal and smooth, invent hard light force fields, etc.? The reason is because it's in Portal, not Half-life. The company still exists and does loosely the same things, but only characters, locations, and events which fit with the Half-life setting will ever appear there.

It makes more sense to keep them separated, like different comic books in the same universe that might have radically different themes.
>>
>>388520956
>Aperture's portal technology is a joke
You literally unironically triggered me
>>
>>388514140
>Sending the Borealis self-destructing into the Dyson sphere
wrong. don't know why so many people are reposting this, the borealis was going to crash into the combine homeworld, gordon just caught a glimse of the dyson sphere as the borealis was crashing.
>>
>>388515276
like >>388515276 says, the combine on earth after the 7 hour war aren't an army, they're an equivalent of mall cops. To the combine, earth is some shitty low tech backwater planet, the only reason it holds any interest is because of the portal technology developed by black mesa and arpeture being better than what the combine have.
>>
gordon freeman is not gman. one of unused niilanth's quotes is:
"You are man... he is not man... for you he waits... for you...".
>>
>>388521428
It doesn't go through Xen (no dimension hopping)
It's extremely small scale (little windows fit for one person at maximum)
It's limited by moon dust

It's shit
>>
>>388518765
>>388519069
>>388519965

Yeah. I mean basically every character from Half Life 2 is retconned in. From Breen being the Black Mesa administrator to every single scientist now being an actual character
>>
>>388521760
still better than whatever shit the combine are using. Also the portal gun is not the full extent of aperture's portal technology, it can very easily be expanded (otherwise how would the borealis work you retard), also the goal with teleportation was to be able to teleport whilst staying in the same dimension, unlike the combine, nihilanth and black mesa, who have to go through multiple dimensions to teleport.
>>
>>388514937
You never physically see the real Combine Empire. All you see is the very bottom step of an enormous ladder, the comparatively minuscule occupation force they left behind to manage day to day affairs on earth to keep control and ship over resources.

More importantly, the Citadel/Superportal function as a tether to our dimension. At this point, the Empire at large can only find earth when a portal is opened on the earth end. Without it, they will be completely unable to return.

That's why the plot of the episodes is so important- it's absolutely necessary to close the superportal and keep any advancements in teleportation from the Combine- if the remnants of the Combine are able to open a portal home one way or another, earth is absolutely fucked.
>>
>>388507001
It'll be 10 years soon.
>>
>>388521760

Their portal technology is vastly more efficient. It can be scaled down to a portable gun rather than requiring a lab. for example. It doesn't seemingly use nearly the same amount of energy, and given the Borealis it's way more scalable.

Aperture's tech was straight up better, it was just way more expensive, which made it difficult to develop into practical results for the government. Meanwhile Black Mesa worked with cost-effective solutions that were functional and vastly cheaper, but inferior.
>>
>>388501279
Yeah. They could do inter-dimensional portal travel, which is how they came to invade Earth, but site to site transport was something they didn't have, otherwise they'd be teleporting troops all over the place rather than rely on transport ships to move them around.
>>
>>388521985
>otherwise how would the borealis work you retard
Borealis is an altogether different, experimental tech. I don't recall portal gun allowing you to timetravel.

Also, ironically, portal tech that doesn't travel through dimensions is fucking useless to the Combine, since what they do in the first place is invade different worlds. They don't have use for a technology that's only good in the proximity of some moon rocks and even then only allows you to travel around one backwater shithole dimension at a time.

Black Mesa had in their hands what was basically an all-around improvement on whatever tech the Combine had, that's why they (and by extension, G-man) were interested in it.
>>
>>388522440

The Combine going after the Borealis at all means that the portal technology has to be feasible in some way to their own usage of portal technology- otherwise there is literally no central conflict to the episodes at this point. The Citadel is wrecked, the Superportal is not a thing anymore, if the occupying Combine can't rig up a way to phone home then they are damned to extinction as the Resistance gradually eradicates them.

The idea that the writers would make it so important and then say "well it only works in our dimension so it doesn't help them" is incredibly stupid.
>>
>>388509219
POTTERY
DEEPEST LORE
>>
>>388522671
You keep confusing Borealis with the simple portal gun. Those are two different things, one of which is absolutely inconsequential while the other is the fucking ultimate space/time travel machine that got enough attention from all sides of the conflict to warrant it's importance. Aperture's portal tech is dogshit, while Borealis has basically nothing to do with portals at this point since it just relocates itself in space/time while giving fuck all.
>>
>>388521614

but this technology would be the next step for the combine so earth should be incredible important to them.
>>
File: 1503822111122.jpg (90KB, 968x646px) Image search: [Google]
1503822111122.jpg
90KB, 968x646px
>>388511937
>>
>>388505302
But humanity can't survive against an enemy that has the capabilities to harness the power of a star with a Dyson Sphere. We're ants fighting to save their colony against an exterminator that's already killed the queen. The only hope for humanity to survive is to be like Nihilanth and escape Earth altogether and find a new world far from the reaches of the Combine.
>>
>>388512045
That's more than likely the Combine loyal humans doing that as a way to inflict fear on the population to keep them in line.
>>
>>388515717
We're still a type 0. Type 1 is being able to harness the power of an entire planet.
>>
>>388493539
No one cares, valve thinks it's better to create shitty shekel-making TCGs (like artifact) instead of continuing HL. So if the very makers of this universe do not give a shit, and go as far as taunting us and mocking us for taking an interest in their universe, why should we continue to pay them any attention, to them and their universe ?
>>
>>388522440
>Borealis is an altogether different, experimental tech. I don't recall portal gun allowing you to timetravel.
There's nothing to suggest that the borealis and the portal gun are different technologies (infact quite the opposite as the original borealis dry dock is located with/near the portal gun testing areas), the borealis and portal gun are just different applications and stages of the portal gun technology.
>Also, ironically, portal tech that doesn't travel through dimensions is fucking useless to the Combine, since what they do in the first place is invade different worlds.
Different WORLDS not different DIMENSIONS. The combine are still located in the same dimension as earth, their portal technology just requires them to travel through different dimensions to reach a different point in the same universe they travelled out from. If they didn't have any use for aperture tech why would they be after the borealis in the first place?
>Black Mesa had in their hands what was basically an all-around improvement on whatever tech the Combine had, that's why they (and by extension, G-man) were interested in it.
this is true, but it's only on par with what the nihilanth had, aperture's is still the best because it's actually achieved the goal, single dimension teleportation.
>>
File: 1499046348104.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1499046348104.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>388507001
>Doctor Freeeeemaaaaaan
Gets me every time
>>
>>388507001
Are those aliens gay for Freeman or what?
>>
>>388507239

If it was created today it would probably have some shitty stupid soundtrack in the background.
>>
>>388526102
I think Half Life was always good with its use of music. Take the Lighthouse defense in HL2, the actual gameplay isn't amazing (and is trivially exploitable) but Something Secret Steers Us raises it to a new level.
>>
>>388524954
>Different WORLDS not different DIMENSIONS
>single dimension teleportation.
What the fuck does this even mean? Do you know what a dimension is?
>>
>>388526763
In this sense we actually mean other universes.
>>
File: easy plebs actually think this.png (9KB, 701x72px) Image search: [Google]
easy plebs actually think this.png
9KB, 701x72px
>>
>>388527029
besides xen, what's wrong with black mesa?
>>
>>388511738
Gordon doesn't speak.
>>
>>388527648
Actually he does. You just can't hear it.
>>
>>388522440
In Portal 2 it's mentioned by Cave Johnson that in the early stages of testing the portal gun there were incidents of a subject seeing his future self. While the Borealis obviously doesn't work the exact same way I think it can at least be inferred that the portal gun lead the way to developing the time traveling capabilities of the Borealis, or that the two technologies are linked in some way.
>>
>>388494549
Breen DIRECTLY tells you that the gman is working for the highest bidder
>>
>>388497595
Go read the breengrub tweets for info about the third party
>>
>>388528165
Breen tells you that Freeman is working for the highest bidder.
>>
>>388527212
The HECU for one thing, every one of them is a sharpshooter
Also the fact that it's a redundant remake of a great game that doesn't need a cover band
>>
>>388512890
https://youtu.be/up4GNYBCByM?t=88
But xen are the jews. Yes this is actually in the games files
>>
>>388497595
So were the Vorts enslaved by Nihilanth in Xen? Why do the Vorts praise Freeman in HL2 when he destroyed their supposed leader of their rebellion in Xen? They act as if Freeman freed them from slavery when in reality the Nihilanth was a refugee hiding from the Combine in another dimension.
>>
>>388528513
Nah, Gordan just fucked their shit up so hard he commited genocide.
Thread posts: 293
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.