[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why so many Japanese games don't give a damn about plot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (23KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 225x225px
Why so many Japanese games don't give a damn about plot coherence and focus so much on making it "cool" and flashy instead?
I just finished pic related and had to rationalize a ton of backstory for the plot to make sense, I assume that actual Umbrella executives keep the Ashworths in the facility in de facto detention since they're bad PR and only need them to make use of family wealth, rather than believe that Ashworths' cartoon villainy is Umbrella's typical MO. Even then the story has some hideous plot holes. It's the same reason I bounced off of MGS3 - I really can't give a damn about small talk over the radio when I've just been paradropped and should carry out my damn mission, much less get invested over forced emotional divagations with a character I literally just learned of.
Is it just my impression and most Japanese games aren't like this, or are Japs just hacks that don't know what makes a good plot?
>>
Are you implying western games have good stories too?
>>
> are Japs just hacks that don't know what makes a good plot?

Are you literally new to gaming? This has been the case for 30 years.
>>
>>388465703
They are coherent. Take something by Naughty Dog and put up against something by SquareEnix. The latter would seem like somebody dropped acid and huffed paint when creating the lore for a game.
>>
>>388466069
>The latter would seem like somebody dropped acid and huffed paint when creating the lore for a game.
have you not seen the elder scrolls lore? It's written by a fucking junkie
>>
>>388466378
well all high fantasy lore is mostly dogshit. But japs have to overcomplicate everything including zombies
>>
yeah, way better that western devs who just walk away from their IP mid-story
>>
>>388465345
Ludonarrative > surface narrative, especially in video games. A game can have a story so beautiful that it would make a stone hearted multiple felon cry, but people wouldn't play it if playing it wasn't an enjoyable experience. Japan understands this.
>>
>>388465345
I have learnt Japs have more flash than substance.
Americans have a more open and in your face culture, which allows us to publicly make stories filled with taboo topics that would give you weird looks in Japan.

Unlike in Japan, if a character I write likes wearing yoga pants in Public, he can say "fuck those people", in Japan he has to worry about being made fun of, forever, and ruining his honor.
>>
Fun fact: The original writer for the Resident Evil series was a Super Sentai writer.
>>
>>388466656
But jap games don't even have ludonarrative. Gutting zombies in RE games might convey that it's a life-or-death situation through resource scarcity, but can't tell the story on its own. Besides, RE2 and RE3 throw it out the window by being piss easy and encouraging the player to speedrun and use arbitrary restrictions, so ludonarrative makes absolutely no fucking sense in these games - and that extends to pretty much all Jap games with autistic ranking systems.
>>
People don't play Resident Evil for the story. Art fags are truly pathetic
>>
>>388467440
In that case RE isn't worth playing at all, since gameplay and puzzles are mostly garbage.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.