[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replaying Half-life 2, Why does nobody bother to explain to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_lx7s8ueWMS1qext26.jpg (101KB, 380x485px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lx7s8ueWMS1qext26.jpg
101KB, 380x485px
Replaying Half-life 2,

Why does nobody bother to explain to him what the fuck is going on and what happened to Earth? I get that they were trying to immerse the player in the experience but this is really stretching plausibility.

Is Freeman just too traumatised to say anything?
>>
File: Spheres.png (192KB, 498x436px) Image search: [Google]
Spheres.png
192KB, 498x436px
>>
>>388420976

they assume he knows everything

but also because valve had to change a bunch of shit because of that hacker.

baiting and arresting him was pretty based lol
>>
They think he's bean there all along he finally found them. You wouldn't explain what happened to somebody who you thought was there.
>>
Because unlike their gameplay design philosophy, Valve's narrative philosophy was to spoon-feed as little as possible and let the player to connect the dots himself. If they used exposition, it was to instill a sense of ave and presence, not to exposit.

Story-wise, the justification is that they assume Gord was on earth the whole time, meaning that he should at least have a good clue of what happened.
>>
They don't know of the mysterious G-Man (apart from Eli maybe), so they probably assume Gordon has been hidden for all those years. They probably assume he knows what happened and only waited for the right time to return.
>>
>>388421071
>because of that hacker
what hacker?
>>
>>388420976
Because "show don't tell".
Yea. Show don't tell sucks a lot when you have complex shit.
You have to water down the stuff in order to be comprehensible just by seeing it.

And they forgot to water down.
>>
>>388420976
They didnt know he was frozen in time. That's why they're surprised he hasn't aged.
>>
Everyone assumes Gordon has lived and experienced the past years just like they have. Because why the fuck not.

>>388421234
you literally born in 2003 or something?

The entire beta version of HL2 leaked to public less than a year before the release, resulting the game being almost completely overhauled and postponed to late 2004.
>>
>>388421234
The HL2 beta leak, which is always credited as a explanation or justification of everything that people find confusing or annoying about HL2 while in reality it actually did not matter even remotely as much as people pretend.

If you did not know, a guy from I think Germany hacked into Valve's server and downloaded several older development builds of the game.

>>388421484
This is actually very strongly not true.
>>
File: 1497471335237.gif (598KB, 350x349px) Image search: [Google]
1497471335237.gif
598KB, 350x349px
Because you should be able to understand what happened within thirty minutes of playing the game.
Walk out onto the train, see Breen talking about City 17 and how our overlords know what's best for us. "It's safer here" instead of "It's safe here", etc. Look to the right and you see Sweepy the Vortigaunt, your primary enemy from the past game, cleaning the station under the watchful eye of Civil Protection, letting you know that your primary enemy are also enslaved to the Combine and are in the same boat as you. All the humans you see that aren't Civil Protection are in prisoner's clothes, keep their heads down and speak in hushed tones, and won't do anything to anger their overlords. You also learn from Breen's second speech that there's a suppression field that has prevented humanity from breeding, which he tries to spin as a positive thing in a dejected tone that even he doesn't believe. You see tons of old and modern buildings strewn about the place and then find that the Combine's structures and gates aren't recent installations and have been part of the city for quite a long time. You then go on a "Railroad" made up of refugees as part of a resistance to the Combine, see the enemy's ability to destroy you.

From this first hour or so we learn:
a. Humans aren't top of the food chain anymore
b. Vortigaunts from HL1 are just like us now, enslaved
c. There are humans still in power but are puppets for the Combine
d. There are many cities like this one and they're all enslaved
e. Despite all this there is still a resistance with some power players like Eli Vance and Dr. Kleiner

You might not know all the specifics of the Seven Hour War, but you should know enough just by looking around.
>>
>>388421234

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2#Leak
> After the leak, Gembe had contacted Newell through e-mail (also providing an unreleased document planning the E3 events).[19] Newell kept corresponding with Gembe, and Gembe was led into believing that Valve wanted to employ him as an in-house security auditor. He was to be offered a flight to the USA and was to be arrested on arrival by the FBI.
>>
>>388421071
valve didnt arrest him wtf
>>
>>388421753
>valve didnt arrest him wtf
Yeah, the German government decided to intervene and arrest him before he reached the US, because either Gabe, or the FBI decided to contract German authorities before going through with the plan.
>>
File: 4Coqmne.jpg (262KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4Coqmne.jpg
262KB, 1280x1024px
>>388421616
>Because you should be able to understand what happened within thirty minutes of playing the game.

subtly is wasted on gamers
>>
>>388421616

>you will never play as shepard going balls to the wall while playing a key part the meager resistance in the hectic 7 hour war

feels sad
>>
>>388421665
>illegally hacks into a company and steals their assets
>is dumb enough to think they will hire him
fucking germans are stupid
>>
>>388421589
THE HACKER STRONGLY INFLUENCED THE DIRECTION OF THE GAME YOU FUCKING HISTORY REVISIONIST. FUCK YOU.
>>
>>388422962
That is a very reasonable reaction that does not in any way reflect how strongly you want to believe this, instead of how strong evidence you actually have. That is what people who are not controlled by irrationality and have solid grounds for their beliefs do, post in all caps and scream "fuck you!".
>>
>>388422919

>copying files is now stealing

if only you could've stolen the good genes from your parents instead of the faggot ones
>>
>>388421616
Yeah, the current situation is clear enough. But I want to know what the fuck happened between HL1 and HL2.
>>
>>388423072
I was working at Valve at that time so I would know. Go to bed, child.
>>
There was a scene in the beta where Eli explained a bit to Gordon, mainly the Seven Hour War

But it got cut so you could play ball with Dog

Yes im serious, read Raising the Bar
>>
File: 1494372130410.gif (2MB, 201x252px) Image search: [Google]
1494372130410.gif
2MB, 201x252px
>>388423196
>I was working at Valve at that time so I would know.

>when you're not young enough to claim your dad works at nintendo
>>
>>388423103
Copying is another form of theft, it's called counterfeiting
>>
>>388423120
Literally look around you. There are fucking newspapers throughout the game on walls, that people are holding, and on the floor. Fuck you guys are so fucking retarded, do you need everything to treat you like a retard?
>>
>>388423520
>Copying is another form of theft, it's called counterfeiting

you can't be this retarded.
>>
>>388423679
I can't, but you certainly can be.
>>
>>388423196
why did they scrap such a good story/setting in favor of the crap we got instead?
>>
>>388423510
>tfw dad works at nintendo mom works at microsoft and i work at valce
>>
>>388422962
No he didn't

They scrapped the so called beta version in 2002, simply because it was too dark & would scare the 10 year olds it was aimed at

The leak had nothing to do with the change in direction
>>
>>388420976
>WOOOOOW why don't they ever sit me down in an unskippable 20 minute cutscene to explain all the backstory?

Nu-/v/, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>388421665
Never trust gabe or valve.
>>
>>388423554
OP BTFO
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.