[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone sell me on this game? Everyone says this is a masterpiece,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: morrowind-cover.jpg (109KB, 640x909px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind-cover.jpg
109KB, 640x909px
Can someone sell me on this game? Everyone says this is a masterpiece, but they said the same shit about Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and those games were fucking boring piles of mediocre.
>>
>>388395750
It's no longer good by today's standards. the people who still like to play this game use it as a reading simulator and have years of experience with the game's shitty mechanics/flow

dnr
>>
>It probably has 10 times the total dialogue and quality of writing, but at the cost of "fun" gameplay. >Spell crafting is dope as fuck
>god tier music and atmosphere in general

You have to be able to return to old games if you want to enjoy this one, but imo it's worth it.
>>
It's Oblivion but slighty better and slighty worse, so no, I wouldn't recommend it. I would instead recommend reading a book (any book).
>>
>>388395948
>It probably has 10 times the total dialogue and quality of writing
compared to?
>>
>>388395867
>the people who still like to play this game use it as a reading simulator and have years of experience with the game's shitty mechanics/flow
Even with heavy modification the game is still unplayable nowadays.
>>
>>388396084
It's easily playable.
>>
>>388396018
modern fallout and elder scrolls
>>
>>388396206
damn, so it's on par with a cyoa book?
>>
File: 1494996105113.jpg (45KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1494996105113.jpg
45KB, 540x540px
>>388395750
Lots of weird shit
Really unique sense of progression
Huge variety of weapons
Tons of weird crazy shit to explore
Plenty of ways to replay it
>>
>>388395750
You're such a little contrarian bitch you would probably hate morowind.
>>
>>388396583
I like COD, so that disqualifies me from being a contrarian.
>>
>>388395750
If you fancy old school RPGs with depth and lore this is for you.
>>
>>388395750

It's a fantastic game but it hasn't aged well. Loved it on release and it deserves the praise it gets though.
>>
>>388396084
>Run game
>play it
WoooooooooW
>>
>>388395750
It's not a masterpiece. It's a unique RPG in a series that has habitually stripped its RPG elements clean from the bone with each successive entry. That's it.

Morrowind was and still is a deeply flawed and unique gem of a game. It uniquely offers more player engagement and agency in its quests than its successors. Though Oblivion has much better designed quests, engagement is nearly stripped due to the nature of its compass. Where Morrowind had detective style quests where you track down the last known whereabouts of individuals Oblivion could only keep its conundrums highly localized thanks to the compass. I wanted Morrowind's design but improved. Instead I got a few improvements and a few things stripped back.

That's why I hold that Morrowind is better or even possibly the best TES. Not because it's perfect. Just the most of what I want in the kind of RPG I thought the TES series was when I got into it back in Daggerfall.
>>
>>388396084
I started with Oblivion and finished Morrowind a few days ago for the first time.
It's perfectly playable, so long as you are not an absolute retard. Hell, in terms of some mechanics like joinable factions, the only recent Gamebryo game to beat it is New Vegas, all the others are much worse.
>>
File: 1396160147871.jpg (67KB, 592x823px) Image search: [Google]
1396160147871.jpg
67KB, 592x823px
It's more of a traditional RPG: "dice rolls" determine hits, damage, etc. Stats change how those "dice rolls" go off.

This clashes with the games 3D style for newfags who weren't around when the game came out.

If you can get over how new you are and get into the game (and learn to stat yourself correctly), then it probably has one of the best and most unique storylines you'll experience in a game, as well as one of the most fantastic environments.

It set a standard for creativity that modern bethesda is yet to match.
>>
>>388397149
why did you post a topless girl
>>
>>388395750
Morrowind had elder god tier writers working on it, but they all left/were fired after the game came out.

It still suffers from the same issues Bethesda games always do (primarily, the engine and gameplay), but the story, atmosphere, and lore, are absolutely 10/10.

Treat the mechanics like a table-top game, and not a 3d adventure game, explore everything, and read every book you find. Always keep in mind the context of when Morrowing actually came out.
>>
>>388395750
They are literally all the same. All games you named are the same.
Different settings, bows instead of guns, magic instead of skills/perks. That's it.

I call the genre: Open shit. It's open, but it's shit.
>>
It takes a bit of work, but your character can become a god. There is no limit to how high your skills can be boosted. Using alchemy, spell making, and enchanting you jump across the map in one bound, move at light speed, and hit monsters so hard the game crashes under the weight of the damage calculation. There is no limit to what your character can do.
>>
>>388396770
no that just qualifies you for being underage
>>
>>388395867
>>388395948
These pretty much cover it. It's one of the great games from that era that's harder to back to imo, but there's a ton of great content there if you mod the crap out of it and have some patience.
>>
>>388397673
Just like your moms vagina
>>
File: 13426452358241.jpg (93KB, 1040x780px) Image search: [Google]
13426452358241.jpg
93KB, 1040x780px
>>388397858
>That post where the guy abuses potions and enchantments and hits Daogth Ur so hard the game crashes
>>
>>388398220

There was another where a guy made a flight suit and a nuclear warhammer to hunt cliff racers. Really wish I had all those pastas.
>>
File: you_n'wah_.jpg (39KB, 345x345px) Image search: [Google]
you_n'wah_.jpg
39KB, 345x345px
>>388395750
>sell me on this game

Morrowind is an extremely enjoyable game to play if you enjoy milking the experience. If you are one who just want to hack, slash, and run through the game to completion within a few hours, you might not enjoy Morrowind. If you love exploring and really immersing yourself in the world and lore the developers have created, then you will absolutely love Morrowind. Coming over from Daggerfall, I played Morrowind when it was released so many years ago. I've played through Morrowind perhaps a dozen times by now. It is my favorite game and I have it installed on this pc.

Let me give you a head start down the road toward enjoyment of what is truly an absolute gem and classic game. Install Morrowind and its two expansion packs, Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Then, install the 1.6.1820 update. Then install MSGO 3.0 (Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul 3.0). Then, I recommend the following mods and plugins - Galsiah's Character Development Lean, Random Passive Cliff Racers, Delayed Dark Brotherhood Attack v2, Tamriel Rebuilt, Oblivion-like Combat Tweaks, and Master Index.

To help you even further, I strongly recommend you watch the following videos

[Morrowind] Modding Guide for New Players - "Modernizing Morrowind" (Modding Gallery)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvSiiEbtuQ

and

Morrowind Overhaul: Sound & Graphics v3.0 Installer Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuOeWG4BXLI
>>
>>388398667
It's shit.
>>
Daggerfall is the only good Elder Scrolls
>>
>>388399737
Arena>daggerfall>morrowind>oblivion>skyrim
>>
>>388395750

Morrowind is not a masterpiece nor is it the best game ever, however it is my all time favourite game without competition. It's the closest I'll ever get to the perfect RPG I wish I could play.

The combat is kinda ass at first, even when you get used to it, it's not perfect. Also characters repeat blocks of text more like a wiki rather than a person talking, but I can overlook it.

But besides that, so much is done right with this game, atmosphere, lore and history, characters, choices that do in fact effect gameplay (this doesn't go nearly as deep as I want it, but it what little there is in this game is still far better than anything Bethesda did after Morrowind) as well as opposing factions (which again, should have gone far deeper.)

Morrowind is the most unique game experience, nothing I've played before or since has felt the same in the slightest and Bethesda cannot recapture the spark that made Morrowind great.

I'm not speaking simply from blind nostalgia either, I play Morrowind at least once a year, trying different things with each run. Same goes for when I say everything that came from Bethesda after Morrowind was absolute shit. (Oblivion, however, gets a nostalgia pass, as I was too young to care about good game design when it came out.)

I started the Fallout series on Fallout 3, then played New Vegas when it came out and finally played Fallout 4 when it came out. For the first time, I played Fallout 1 this year and despite it's age and graphics, it blew Fallout 3 and 4 out of the fucking water. Modern Bethesda is all about stripping their RPGs to the lowest common denominator to appeal to more people and sell more copies. I'd go as far to say Skyrim and Fallout 4 aren't even RPGs. They're action adventure games with poor plotlines and some RPG mechanics sprinkled on top.
>>
>>388400895
I find a lot of older RPG mechanics to be tedious obstacles to gameplay, so I wouldn't mind an action adventure game with a light sprinkling of RPG mechanics if the writing was as good as it used to be in older games. Skyrim's main quest and npc dialogue were insultingly bad. The voice acting was shit too, I can't believe they paid for such poor performances. The shitty writing and dialogue are what really separates Skyrim fand Oblivion from their predecessors.
>>
>>388395750
Played it through for the first time a year ago, still playing it today. It's a brilliant game, though starting out a new character can be rough. Check the UESP getting started guide. People bitch about the combat, saying missing is stupid, not actually understanding that not every game is braindead.
>>
>>388395750
>everyone says this is a masterpiece, but they said the same shit about Fallout 3 and Skyrim
How long have you been here?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.