[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I haven't played an immersive sim this good in years. It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10

File: prey.jpg (30KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
prey.jpg
30KB, 460x215px
I haven't played an immersive sim this good in years. It completely outstrips Dishonored. It's up there with System Shock 2.
>>
>inb4 some negative nancy Prey (2006) fanboy shitposts this thread
It's really good, probably my GOTY. What's odd is that the problem that most people find with the game is the story and the ending, which I personally really enjoyed.
>>
>>388314852
>It's up there with System Shock 2.

now you've done it

anyway unless the dishonored expansion thing or cuphead really deliver it's shaping up to be my personal GOTY. I agree with the majority opinion that the enemies aren't all that interesting but I suppose if you offer me freedom in problem solving I'll deal with other shortcomings
>>
Why did it take this long for a game to modernise the System Shock formula? We had three Bioshock games in that time and none of them lived up to System Shock.
>>
>>388315812
the audience
I like to think about it like this: The people playing games during the days of Bioshock were casual faggots, and so games like these had to build them back up into accepting a gameplay style like the System Shock games. I'd like to think the GOG re-releases and upcoming remake showed the interest in it.
>>
Bout to pirate this game soon as i finish sniper elite 3. Ga,eplay looks interresting. Why do you people love comparin games to other games?
>>
>>388314852
Don't get me wrong Prey 2017 is a good game. But it also doesn't really know what kind of game it wants to be. It's not scary for a horror game. It's too easy and lame for fps. And it's dumb and tedious as survival game. That's the main issue I find with Prey.
>>
>>388314852
No, it's utter shite. The combat is clunky as hell and the enemies ar all the same.
>>
>>388316370
>The combat is clunky as hell
I don't understand this. It's literally "point and shoot." How are people having this much trouble?
>>
>>388316270
It knows exactly what it wants to be: an Immersive Sim.

The problem is most people still don't know what it is or don't want to use that term and consider it useless or pretentious. But because of that a lot of people are criticizing those games with really stupid arguments because they didn't know what they were buying.
>>
Loved it aswell, probably one of the best games this year.
>>
>>388316831
Care to explain what "immersive sim" really is?
>>
>>388316925
It's a widely known term now but I'm not good at summarizing so I'll just point you here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersive_sim
>>
>>388316727
the combat is shit because I the way the character moves. He's slow as fuck which makes it hard to dodge the enemies, it's like you're suppose to get hit by them because there's simply not enough space around to maneuver. You gotta use these shitty ineffective weapons that are always low on ammo and skills, It's fucking annoying. Play Half Life for PC and you'll know what actual FPS is suppose to be like.
>>
>>388317692
Y've played that. They're two entirely different games. Play System Shock, kid.
>>
>>388317692
prey is not an 'actual FPS' in the way half-life 1 is. if you don't like getting hit, ambush the enemies or use typhon powers that negate hits, et cetera. use the combat focus ability, there's lot of options.
>>
>>388317787
that's what I don't like about the game, it's all about the abilities and resource management, I want flexible movements so I can run and jump around the map freely like in old school fast paced shooter games. Playing this game with a mouse and keyboard was a clusterfuck for me because it's designed for controller.
>>
>>388317692
>the way the character moves. He's slow as fuck which makes it hard to dodge the enemies, it's like you're suppose to get hit by them because there's simply not enough space around to maneuver.

I have no idea what you're talking about since you're reasonably mobile even without movement upgrades, it's possible to dodge absolutely everything since there's no hitscan or any kind of unavoidable attacks

>You gotta use these shitty ineffective weapons that are always low on ammo and skills

The guns are the most overpowered tools in the game if you actually invest upgrades into them, especially in conjunction with the slowmo ability
>>
i enjoyed it a lot, too bad it didn't sell nearly enough copies to get a sequel though
>>
>>388318170
>I have no idea what you're talking about since you're reasonably mobile even without movement upgrades
clearly never played a proper shooter on PC, the movements are awfully slow, like in some CoD game, It's like I'm controlling a tank
>>
>>388318152
>I want flexible movements so I can run and jump around the map freely like in old school fast paced shooter games
>pretend 90s kid that only know of Duum and Dooke and Quack.
>never played System Shock or the other RPG shooters of the time.
>>
>>388314852
kojima fanboy equivalent
>>
>>388314852
how first person is it? I don't want to be reminded I'm a gook every 5 minutes, I do love Avellone though
>>
>>388318542
>how first person is it?
You probably see your face twice. The only reminder you're given is your name. Other than that, you probably might forget.
>>
>>388316125
Yet Biocock sold obscenely well and this didn't. So we're back to formula.
Why does the world have to suck, /b/?
>>
>>388318542
100% first person like Half-Life
>>
>>388318542
>I don't want to be reminded I'm a gook every 5 minutes

Gooks are Korean. You play a chink.
>>
>>388318991
Even worse, Infinite is the most "highly praised" as far as the casuals go. We can only hope that games like these at least trickle out.
>>
You can see your legs in this game. Not sure why you can't on Dishonored games.
>>
>>388319026
even worse, oh well if I can play as Samus I can play as an oriental I shuppose
>>
I got bored of the demo in less than an hour. Is the game just freezing spiders then hitting them with a wrench or does something interesting happen later?
>>
>>388319181
You get psyche powers later. Can't confirm how they play since I decided against using them my first time. Mostly sticking with guns, though you do get a nice bounty.
>>
File: 1493493680399.jpg (200KB, 1276x1106px) Image search: [Google]
1493493680399.jpg
200KB, 1276x1106px
>>388314852
why the fuck do people call it "immersive sim"? that's almost as much of an oxymoron as "multiplayer online battle arena"
>>
>>388318354
>clearly never played a proper shooter on PC
I have, and Prey isn't really a straightforward shooter

>the movements are awfully slow
Then invest into movement upgrades if you want to run around at incredible hihg speeds
>>
>>388319491
The only oxymoron here is you
>>
>>388319491
That's not an oxymoron at all. A simulation ideally would be immersive.
>>
>>388314852
I liked it
>>388314976
I bought the original Prey at launch, I do not understand how anyone could be that attached to it.
>>
>>388319635
Personally, I'm disappointed that we're not getting Prey 2. That looked like it was going to be cool.

I do like this game, even though I'm wondering why it even needed the name in the first place.
>>
File: 1503421277243.jpg (30KB, 514x578px) Image search: [Google]
1503421277243.jpg
30KB, 514x578px
>>388319626
>>388319630
Oh so I guess I could consider IL-2 Sturmovik an immersive sim, how about Arma 3? Or cities skylines, that loosely fits the definition since it's a sim, you literally can apply it to almost any game and that's why it's fucking retarded, how do you faggots not see that?
>>
>>388319795
It's still not an oxymoron, have fun with your straw man.
>>
>>388314852
I unironically agree. Prey had me hooked from start to finish. I hope it did well enough for us to get Prey (second reboot).
>>
>>388319779
>I do like this game, even though I'm wondering why it even needed the name in the first place.
That is a good question, they could have called it anything and no one would have cared since Arkane at this point is pretty well known.
>>
>>388319181
Psychic powers, a creature chasing you, and some of the best zero-g movement ever conceived. Honestly, the Chopper Scene sold me on the game.
>>
>>388319491
Perhaps you're baiting, but it's a stupid ass name that not even the majority of the dev liked back then, it just stuck

FPS-RPG hybrid is more apt name
>>
>>388314852
>Dishonored
Lmao that is not saying much
>>
>>388314852
It's my personal GOTY. The writing was strong, the atmosphere was fantastic, and that opening chopper scene was pure K I N O. I seriously hope we get a sequel with Typhon Morgan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI
Such a good fucking song

>>388320131
They admitted as much that it was solely for brand recognition. I hate that Zenimax/Bethesda did it, but I also still really like the game a lot and hope for an eventual sequel.
>>
>>388319149
you also see your character's shadow
>>
>tfw exploratoring the spehss station

Any other /comfyspacestation/ core (that's released recently)?
>>
>>388320761
Alien Isolation possibly, though that's way more tense
>>
>>388319795
Any game with fighting in it can be called a fighting game, any game where you strategist in real time can be called an RTS, any game where you play a role can be called an RPG.

Genre names are often pretty dumb but only faggots like you, who think they're enlightened for seeing the minor foibles in humanity, complain about them. The rest of us will continue to use the term because that's just what Doug Church decided to call it and there are better things to worry about.
>>
>>388320492
Not really because games like the original System Shock and Thief have little to no RPG in them.
>>
I think it's a solid step below Dishonored 2 because of all the backtracking, the repetetive enemy design, the sound design (it felt very disorienting to me) and some issues I had with the general environment and UI design being a bit cluttered and unfocused. Also that you had to level up certain abilities to get decent movement was a nuisance.

I still really, really like it overall though. Dishonored 2 was the best game I've played in years and I absolutely love the art style, the enivronments, the atmosphere and the gameplay.
>>
>>388320801
That's the other one that immediately comes to mind, but then again, 2014 was 8 years ago.
>>
>>388320994
>the repetitive enemy design
This was definitely the worst part
>the sound design (it felt very disorienting to me)
What the fuck was the deal with the music activation. A single mimick and it's like you're suddenly thrown into a boss fight.
>>
>>388320994
>space station is disorienting and claustrophobic
I think they nailed it.

D2 was great as well.

Why the fuck does Bethesda keep publishing and funding such good shit from their subsidiaries?
>>
>>388321237
>Why the fuck does Bethesda keep publishing and funding such good shit from their subsidiaries?
Not sure, honestly they're one of my favorite publishers now. I fucking hate their own games though, barely played Skyrim and skipped Fallout 4 completely.
>>
>crosshair isn't in the centre of the screen
Makes playing this game so fucking awkward for me
>>
>>388321358
it really is surprising to me
>>
>>388320603
>that opening chopper scene was pure K I N O
more like cringy af
>>
How the hell did anyone like this fucking game? There was nothing good about it.
>>
File: 1503192616698.jpg (435KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
1503192616698.jpg
435KB, 717x880px
>>388321910
>unironically using the term "cringe"
You have to go back
>>
>>388322151
>le reddit boogeyman
>>
Finished this game a few hours ago
I was quite surprised that its one of the few pieces of media that manages to pull off the "it was all a dream" aspect effectively without demeaning the whole experience.

I haven't tried out any of Arkane's other games but was pleasantly surprised with this. Is Dishonored 2 worth checking out?
>>
Prey was a great game
But god damn did it have some super annoying things.
>Going to capture Dahl but he clips out the window and into the fans outside
>All hacked or reinforced tech is destroyed once you leave the area
>Without hack 4 the military drones are hard as shit to combat
>The post credit choice
>The nightmare in general
>Cyst hives
>The giant tower from the reactor
And some other.
All that said tho i had alot of fun with my pure human run, gonna try a typhon neuromods only run later
>>
Prey's upgrade system is garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRxh8Ka5H8
>>
>>388322612
Just explain why you think that instead of shilling your videos
>>
>>388321995
Great controls and movement mechanics. Incredible detail in the world and story. Atmosphere, soundtrack, zero-g sections, can play as a banana, etc.
>>
>>388322739
it sucks because the upgrades are nebulous stat related nonsense rather than actual skills.
>>
>>388322314
>Is Dishonored 2 worth checking out?
yes, get the first goty too. play the daud story
>>
>>388318152
That's perfectly understandable, although I feel like you can upgrade yourself to be rooty tooty jump and shooty, too. The game definitely tries to be more slow like others of it's niche.

If you're still playing, try to max out athleticism first. It's not exactly Titanfall and the level design will definitely be in your way a lot of the time, but fighting large groups of enemies in the big areas is pretty fun when you have a lot of ways to attack.
>>
>>388314852
I like the game but it needs more weapons or at least more modes for the ones we have.

Wrench
Pistol
Shotgun
Laser beam

wow its fucking nothing.

Stun Gun and Gloo Gun are more utility oriented.
>>
>>388322314
If you remember, Alex says that the simulation was all based on Morgan's memories. I think the TALOS I incident happened, but Morgan died somewhere around then and Alex wanted his brother back. Hope it gets a sequel with Typhon Morgan
>>
>>388320984
I guess that's true
>>
>>388315214
i don't mean this in a bad way anon but how does cuphead not give you terminal eye cancer every time you look at it?

i can handle most things thrown at me by monitors having played with the things since i was 4 or 5 but fuck me dead just looking at a video of cuphead gameplay burns my eye sockets
>>
>>388323030
Typhon mods are actual skills, you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>388323030
Hacking, leverage, mimic, combat focus, repair, etc.

There are definitely too many that just boil down to increasing your health/damage/whatever but overall it's very good.
>>
>>388318354
Prey isn't a proper shooter you fuckin moron dang thats like applying the same thing to SS or Deus Ex fuck you for makin me mad
>>
>>388319491
It's just what people settled on what to call it. Gameplay is a stupid word, too, but it's a helpful term when trying to talk about shit without arguing semantics.
>>
>>388321184
>What the fuck was the deal with the music activation. A single mimick and it's like you're suddenly thrown into a boss fight.
Yeah, what's up with that? It was really weird, and I didn't like a lot of the sounds from the get go so that sucked.

>>388321237
>>space station is disorienting and claustrophobic
>I think they nailed it.
Yeah, they did, but I want my immersive sims to have a cosy factor to them. It took me months to finish Prey, and I even pre ordered it, just because it kinda felt like a chore to start it up due to all that. With that said, when I was in it I was absolutely hooked.

Will there be a DLC to Prey? Standalone like the upcoming Dishonored 2 thing?
>>
>>388314852
I think it desperately needed a better enemy designer. I know it makes sense that the typhoon look how they are, but most of them being a bipedal mass of shit is boring. Hell, all they could have done was just make the different styles of phantom look and animate a lot differently and it'd be a world away and a lot more threatening.
>>
>>388323669
Probably not. I don't think PC sales broke 1 million. Console sales were fine for some reason, probably because they had a demo. I'm just hoping for a sequel
>>
>>388322314
>I haven't tried out any of Arkane's other games but was pleasantly surprised with this. Is Dishonored 2 worth checking out?
Oh man, get Dishonored 1 with both DLC, they're amazing, and get Dishonored 2 after. Maybe look up some gameplay videos first if you don't like to gamle though. They are great games.
>>
>>388318152
that would be a valid complaint if this was a FPS first and foremost, but it isnt.
the movement is fine anyway, Arkane games always have a nice fluidity to them.
>>
>>388323398
>>388323474
(yawn)
https://segmentnext.com/2017/05/02/prey-2017-neuromod-skills-guide/
>>
>>388323770
Oh alright. I wouldn't mind this being the last we see of Prey as long as Arkane makes another immersive sim game after. They are the only developers I care about now.
>>
>>388323982
I think it will get one. Console sales were strong, from what I recall. And I agree, Arkane is one of the better studios out there.
>>
>>388323784
I loved Dishonored a lot, but the second one kind of felt a lot less complete. It's probably because it was just more of the same and I didn't really like the skill progression. It's definitely worth it especially if you like how they did the level design in Prey.
>>
File: [email protected] (23KB, 370x320px) Image search: [Google]
17660844@2x.png
23KB, 370x320px
>>388323669
Alot of the audio cues are tied to locations, One example is in the Arboretum down by the machines, If you walk just past the middle of them you hear a distant creaking metal sound, And it repeats every time you walk by that location.
And the game is filled with these places, so often places you've already been through gets horror sound cues because its where those aliens or whatever was before.
Its pretty bad design but i cant imagine its an easy fix to only have them trigger once.
>>
>>388314852
Wasn't feeling it until Psychotronics, then it really opens up gameplay wise.
>>
>>388322465
>Without hack 4 the military drones are hard as shit to combat
even with the hack 4 you dread those things because it takes so long to hack them
>>
>>388314852
Is it just me or did the marketing of this game completely fail?

First the name. It got a lot of shit and negativity because of the name. Arkane probably had no say in it.

Next the much bigger failure.

They should have stated several times that the game is inspired/etc by system shock/bioshock. Why didnt they do it?

The same shit happend with dishonored. It was clearly a very thief inspired game but they never really stated it in marketing.

Why not say that your game is inspired by those legendary games which are included in all best games ever lists and eveyone masturbates to?
>>
>>388324264
Makes sense. I preferred Dishonored 2 to the original in every except maybe story. The world felt so fleshed out and lived in that I could have spent my entire playtime for my first playthrough just walking around and just looking at the architecture, and all the rooms filled with their own stories. I don't think I've been so invested in a game world ever before.
>>
I have only played the demo. The marketing is awful, it sends out the wrong tone, or vibe. Someone messed up.
>>
>>388322465
I agree with most of what you said but the military drones became quite easy if you went the combat route and got the slow motion and full movement. You could just use a combination of that stun gun thing and the wrench.

But yes, why would I ever hack and reinforce turrets and shit when they're dead the next time I go look at them. That was really stupid.
>>
>>388317692
If you invest in the movement skills you can jump 10m and walk and run very fast. You can also glide around.

The same with the weapons. Once you start to upgrade them and invest into the 2 gun skills they are much stronger. I think it was around 10 neuromods for 50% more gun damage + the weapon upgrades.

Stronger weapons -> less ammo needed for kill -> more spare ammo
Stronger weapons -> faster TTK -> less damage received

Is this a hard concept to understand?
>>
>>388325793
Marketing was total shit. I only played it because I saw someone playing it and it looked awesome.
>>
So we are all agree that this is the modern SS2 right
>>
>>388314852
This game is sack and absolutely chock-full of Jewish and transhumanist propaganda
>>
>>388326382
Gameplay wise, I'd say its better. The atmosphere and story was better in SS2 I think.
>>
give me some (Yu)s
>>
File: 1497136345556.jpg (46KB, 689x602px) Image search: [Google]
1497136345556.jpg
46KB, 689x602px
>>388326486
>He doesn't want to shove things in his brain to become peak humanity
>>
File: Prey 05.16.2017 - 16.29.23.19.jpg (414KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Prey 05.16.2017 - 16.29.23.19.jpg
414KB, 1920x1080px
>>388326695
Here you go
>>
>>388326812
>not here yu go
yu disappoint me
>>
>>388326812
Gave me a chuckle
>>
>>388326812
Those descriptions are gold, Jerry
>>
>>388325440
>Hacking actually gets easier
>Just more boring

Pffff.
>>
Why the comparison to Dishonored? They're clearly entirely different genres of games and comparing them directly does no one any good.
>>
File: 1500523678368.jpg (87KB, 672x672px) Image search: [Google]
1500523678368.jpg
87KB, 672x672px
>>388327509
Because it's either a trash Thief or a trash '''''Immersive sim'''

God I hate everything holy shit.
>>
>>388327509
They're both root'in toot'in pointy shooties played as if you saw life through the eyes of another man.
>>
I was just leaving the Hardware Labs and there were two phantoms at the exit. I hid in the security booth and they came over and stood at the checkpoint. I popped up, they looked at me, and I threw a recycler charge through the tiny hole and it got both of them. Great game.
>>
i think arkane must have some of the best level designers in the industry because the way talos 1 is put together is frankly genius
>>
>>388328106
Its the money they saved on weapon designers...
>>
>>388328352
The only thing I though it was missing was a SMG with non-lethal grenade launcher.
>>
>>388328591
They could have done a lot more stuff.

More experimental science weapons, or some more guns for security, or work tools used as weapons (nail gun, power saw, etc).

The stuff we got works and has its place but its just not enough and after 1/4 you have most of it already.
>>
>>388319491
I don't think you know what oxymoron means...
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.