[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Kirby's Adventure the best looking NES game of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: tumblr_nu723pSaIZ1s5uqdqo1_500.gif (834KB, 492x331px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu723pSaIZ1s5uqdqo1_500.gif
834KB, 492x331px
Is Kirby's Adventure the best looking NES game of all time?

>Character has a ton of different animations/expressions.
>Each world has its own set pieces and variations.
>Final boss incorporates parallax scrolling.
>Ton of different enemies and bosses.
>Has a hud with a bunch of icons depending on your current copy abillity

Alot of NES games look pretty ugly nowadays yet Kirby's Adventure still looks fantastic to this day.

Anyone else got any other NES games which look great today?
>>
Gimmick!
>>
>>388309496
Kirby's adventure is the undisputed king of NES visuals.In most NES games, art was generally an afterthought in development. I'd assume since Kirby was so mechanically simple, HAL had the free time to hire designated artists, and that's why the game looked so good.
I'd also say Mario 2 and 3's graphics aged pretty well too.
>>
File: 0412.png (482KB, 750x410px) Image search: [Google]
0412.png
482KB, 750x410px
>>388309496
Kirby's Adventure and Megaman 1 - 6 are the two best games with great visuals to this day.

The only thing holding back Megaman is all that sprite flickering.
>>
File: tumblr_oogsmfdtkj1tmlm4io1_400.png (241KB, 391x243px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oogsmfdtkj1tmlm4io1_400.png
241KB, 391x243px
>>388309496
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIprZiDXFKA

I guess it also helps that Kirby is a rather simple design.
>>
>Remaking a game that didn't need a visual upgrade and raped the visuals

They did it in Superstar Deluxe too but at least the new backgrounds were in the same style as the old ones.
>>
File: nmid.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nmid.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
>>388310906
Its a hard one because Nightmare in Dreamland can even be said is a bad remake. The backgrounds still look really nice, but its more of a total overhaul rather than a revamp.

Some backgrounds look nice while others look way too busy or blurred.

If I remember, Nightmare in Dreamland Kirby was more heavy too...
>>
File: 2973.png (376KB, 1112x597px) Image search: [Google]
2973.png
376KB, 1112x597px
>>388311132
The backgrounds in Nightmare in Dreamalnd look really nice on their own, but they don't really mesh well with the rest of the aesthetic. Adventure had each level with unique handcrafted backgrounds, while Nightmare just shove a painting there instead of remaking the original background.
>>
No, Mr. Gimmick is.
>>
>>388311612
>"What should we put in the desert sir?"
>"i dunno fucking jellybeans... i guess?"
>>
>>388309496
it was also one of the last nes games released and also the biggest, at a whopping 6 megabits, so I'd expect it to looks miles above everything else
>>
Pretty much everything has been mentioned already.

Kirby is the best. I remember being shocked by its quaility when I first played it.

Then there are minor powerhouses such as Gimmick, too.
>>
>>388310714
That is great use of 8 colors.
>>
File: Gimmick-boss.gif (810KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
Gimmick-boss.gif
810KB, 480x300px
a lot of people keep mentioning mr gimmick, but no one's actually posted anything from it. it's a pretty fun game, and the music is incredible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xgKKo8TyU
>>
File: 1489656567354.gif (90KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1489656567354.gif
90KB, 256x224px
I think picrelated looks better.
>>
File: Sword Master (U) [!p]-0.png (6KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Sword Master (U) [!p]-0.png
6KB, 256x240px
>best looking NES game
I'll give my vote for Sword Master, a game that has big, detailed, well animated sprites and uses a smart parallax scrolling effect on some of it's levels.

Also as far as games having insanely well animated sprites goes I want to bring up Moon Crystal which has shitloads of frames for the protagonist and bosses.
>>
Little Samson
Batman
Batman: Return of the Joker
Shattered Hand
Mega Man 6

Kirby was nice, but that was more because of it's art direction. The detail and texture work is nowhere near as impressive as a Sunsoft game. Same goes with smooth animations. The limited color palette on sprites was also incredibly obvious. Mega Man games masked that limitation with nice enemy design and sprite management.

I would certainly call it a nice looking game, but I wouldn't say it's the best
>>
>>388309496
If you don't factor in animations, and you include Japanese exclusive releases, the best looking game on the system without a doubt is Metal Slader Glory.
>>
>>388311612

Looking at these makes me want to load up RPGmaker 2000
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.