[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have been playing this game and it is kinda... bad. The controls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: dreamland-e1403747105372.jpg (73KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
dreamland-e1403747105372.jpg
73KB, 600x338px
I have been playing this game and it is kinda... bad.

The controls feel slow, I don't like the art style, the level design isn't memorable and the music is mediocre. And how would I know what I have to do to get the heart stars without a guide?

Dream Land, Adventure and Super Star were amazing, Dream Land 2 was okay and Dream Land 3 is shit.
>>
Didn't it come out after Super Star? There's no excuse for them fucking up the controls and making the powers underwhelming like that.
>>
>>388306717
2>3
>>
Dream Land 3 is the ultimate pleb filter Kirby game, and top comfy.
>>
>>388306717
>KDL3

ZZZzzzzzz
>>
>>388306717
it's the best kirby game, actually
>>
>>388306717
>I don't like the art style
this this this this
>>
>>388307090
There are 2 styles of Kirby game, actually. The easiest way to tell them apart is by speed, or the "engine" they use. What I mean by "engine" is a little abstract, but it's mainly about how the powers act + how the physics feel.
Traditional: Dreamland 1, 2, 3, and 64
Technical: Superstar, SqSq, AM, RtDL and all others that utilize that "engine."
Adventure is kind of like a fork in the road here, combining features of the two.
The Traditional ones are pretty slow, easygoing games. Your powers do 1 thing, and 1 thing only (think Fire vs Fireball, Ice vs Blizzard, any of the 64 combos).
The technical ones all have increased mobility and incorporate a bit more of a robust physics engine (sliding off a ledge and holding a direction makes you start running a little faster than your top speed normally, you have a more gradual deceleration in air than the traditional games, etc.) and your powers act more like "movesets" (The powers of Fire and Fireball are in the same Fire power, same with Ice for Ice and Blizzard, etc).
Fun fact, the Technical engine also inspired the game sensibilities of the Smash series.
It sounds like you don't enjoy the traditional games, which is a shame because they are really great games to just relax to. Also, that crayon art style was really difficult to achieve on the SNES. It was a great system closer.
>>
>>388309395
Just call them Sakurai and Shimomura games. Kumazaki doesn't have an identity.
>>
File: babyvideogame-220x330.jpg (20KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
babyvideogame-220x330.jpg
20KB, 220x330px
>>388309304
>>
>>388309108
This. It probably has the best atmosphere in the series. It's something you take a deep breath and relax to.
>>
>>388309564
Very true although Shimomura isn't widely known. Point is, Shimomura's titles are much slower paced while Sakurai's are faster. Kumazaki is pretty much a Sakurai copycat for now, but he makes pretty fun stuff so I can't complain. That said, his gimmick seems to be necro-ing one or many previous bosses while neither Sakurai nor Shimomura did that so I guess that could be sort of his calling card for now?
I'd still like some slower Kirby games to come out, though: they were great ways to unwind and enjoy what was in front of you. Also I want KAR2 already. That shit is LATE.
>>
>>388306717
>And how would I know what I have to do to get the heart stars without a guide?

Honestly, this shit right here is pretty bullshit at times. I can remember needing to get a broom power up in an earlier room of a stage to clean these flowers in a later part of the stage, and if you stepped on the flowers at all you had to restart the stage.

Shit was just fucking dumb, and getting those stars was a pain.
>>
>>388310419
>if you stepped on the flowers at all you had to restart the stage

The secret to increase game length.
>>
>>388310576
Find out this 1 crazy trick to increase game length!
>Speed runners HATE him!
>>
>>388310946

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keTwS4_IiII
>>
DL2 > DL3
>>
>>388311147
shit that's fast
>>
>>388311320
No one disagrees.
>>
>>388306717
I won't lie, dreamland 3 is slow paced and the mini games are obnoxious, but I can't let you diss the visuals and soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge2EtnkYxxA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FaV_fQ_IXs&t=11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEiJzuXYZ98
Definitely one of the comfiest platformers ever made.
>>
>>388312341
Ths OST and visuals are the only reasons the game isn't universally ignored.
>>
>>388306717
I got all the heart stars but one without a guide and I played it for the first time very recently.

The only one I couldn't figure out was the one you have to touch with Chuchu's no-power attack
>>
>>388312507
I think you're wrong. The puzzles and the like are actually pretty neat. Every level has a unique mini-quest, although they tend to match trends, like each world's lv 1 revolves around flowers, lv 2 uses a certain power to appeal to or help an NPC, each lv 3 is about a minigame, each lv 4 is about finding an item somewhere, and each lv 5 is about choosing the right partner. At least, if my memory's right.
>>
>>388312871
>The puzzles and the like are actually pretty neat
Go to bed Aonuma.
>>
>>388306717
I actually got this game as a kid, because I didn't have an N64 yet(this came out in 1997, a year after the N64 did), here's my take on it as someone who's grown up with it.

Initially, I was disappointed in the game because I was expecting something like Kirby Super Star, which was(and still is) one of my favorites for the SNES. The game overall moves pretty slow, the abilities have little to no variety, some of the level design is poor and redundant, especially towards the end of the game, and some of the heart pieces you collect are just fucked up to collect, especially when you're 10.

But, over the years, I've grown to appreciate the game for it's atmosphere, art style, and simple game play, with loads of levels and decent challenge, and I used the game itself to get my young niece into older games. It's not the best, but I still like to pop it in on occasion, and I still say it's one of the best looking games for the system.
>>
>>388313481

Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>The music is mediocre
You wanna fucking scuffle, pal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67MPxnPHBNk
>>
>>388314449
Or maybe I like the game for it's positives and choose not to dwell on it's negatives. What a fucking concept, amirite?
>>
>>388314576
>I like the game for it's positives
>all the gameplay stuff is shit
>all the cosmetic fluff is good
>therefore it's a good game
>>
>>388314576
I guess even shit can be used as fertilizer.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.