[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Vergil in Devil May Cry 3 the greatest video game antagonist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Vergil.png (3MB, 2616x3073px) Image search: [Google]
Vergil.png
3MB, 2616x3073px
Is Vergil in Devil May Cry 3 the greatest video game antagonist ever?

Naturally I'm not talking in terms of just writing here, but rather as a whole package. Taking into account gameplay and how they're enhanced by the video game medium.
>>
>>388298324
I thought the same when I was 17
>>
>>388298324
Gameplay and contextually, yes. Writing, probably not.
>>
>>388300319
Who do you now think is better?
>>
File: 1491368011013.jpg (19KB, 280x330px) Image search: [Google]
1491368011013.jpg
19KB, 280x330px
>>388298324
yes
>>
>>388298324
Yes
>>
I wish the first battle ended with Vergil actually beating you ingame to end the fight. It would of made a bit more sense considering Vergil was a lot stronger than Dante at the time and then making the 2nd fight going either way.
>>
>>388300413
For what it is, the writing in DMC3 is surprisingly good.

I would hardly call Vergil a super deep character, but his personality and motivations are understandable and the game doesn't beat you over the head with them.
>>
>>388301001
DMC3 is really fucking good
Mostly when you get fucking good with every style
You get to realize that the goddess of time statues are perfectly set to adjust your playstyle in the next area you're getting in to
>>
>>388298324
Nothing will top the sense of panic inflicted as you're assaulted by a series of devil trigger helm splitters during his final fight for the first time.

I think one of the most memorable things about Vergil is how mouthy he is. During the entirety of his boss fights he's talking under his breath, and while it's far from realistic, it's adds a lot of character to him.
>>
>>388301268
>Under his breath
Even though he's sometimes yelling at us?
>THIS MAY BE FUN
>YOU'RE GOING DOWN
>YOU TRASH
>>
>>388298324
No. He isn't interesting. None of his motivations have any substance, his voice is terrible, his design is just generic edgelord shit complete with a katana, and his fanbase is 99% composed of secondaries who first became aware of it while sipping koolaid watching their favorite streamer play UMvC3
>>
>>388301268
>That final "DANTE" he says when you finally kill him in the final fight
I always thought it was a nice as fuck detail
>>
>>388301324
>Even though he's sometimes yelling at us?
That's right actually. I keep thinking back to his nasally voice. He'd reallly sound like a fucking nerd if he wasn't so confident and cocky.
>>
>>388300943
For any other game in any other series, I would agree, but that would feel cheap and unsatisfying as fuck in DMC. One moment I'm styling all over him and the next he 100 to 0's me with a premade combo? Besides, while it's assumed that Vergil was stronger because he had already awakened his demon side, the difference in power was not so great that it should have been a guaranteed win for him. They are twins with pretty much identical powers.

I like the way they portrayed it. Dante was still styling, he just ran out of breath first and couldn't recover from the final blow in time.
>>
>>388301405
Wow great argument, fagtron, you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.