[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>start out as a shower curtain manufacturer >end up discovering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 25

>start out as a shower curtain manufacturer
>end up discovering technologies even beyond a Type IV civilisation's advancement in science

can we talk about how this
>>
About how OP died
>>
>>388262570
wanted to type "can we talk about this"
but ended up adding a "how" because its 5am
can't be bothered to delete and make another thread
>>
>>388262415
and yet he barely gave a shit about his new tech
didn't even try to sell it like Black Mesa did
>>
File: 1500787410779.jpg (476KB, 532x732px) Image search: [Google]
1500787410779.jpg
476KB, 532x732px
>>388262570
>>
I wist valve would make shorts about the daily happenings of cave.
>>
>>388262415
He just gave the customer what they wanted
>>
>>388265324
freedom ?
because in the end they never got it
and they lost running water so here goes showers
>>
>>388262415
Putting a face behind Aperture was one of the worst things they could have done.
>>
>>388262415
>technologies even beyond a Type IV civilisation's advancement in science
Which ones?
>>
>>388262415

COMBUSTIBLE LEMONS!
>>
>>388265775
Temperal displacement?
Sentient AI?
Portals that defy newtonian physics?
Springy leg things?
>>
>>388265870
Nice reference bro! Keep it up
>>
>>388265946
you're forgetting the mashy spike plates
>>
>>388265946
The Kardeshev scale refers to energy comsumption, so I'm not seeing it.

AIs have nothing to do with it.
Many things defy newtonian physics and there definitely is something fucky going on in that world. Such as the way Chell can be reflected in Portal in ways that should leave to massive booms. On the other hand, they don't actually harness that beyond creating portals that allow one to witness those strange physics occurences.
The springy legs absorbers are bizarre but not universal in scale. Type III could definitely have that, if not Type II.

Temporal displacement I don't remember, so you will have to enlighten me.
>>
>JK Simmons will never play cave Johnson in a portal/half life movie
>>
>>388266465
Fuckin hell, just kill yourself already you worthless sperg.
>>
>>388266465
>The Kardeshev scale refers to energy consumption, so I'm not seeing it.
A device the size of a nerf gun can use enough energy to literally rip the fabric of space-time, create a stable (((aperture))) and allow organic matter to travel thru it. You, in theory, couldn't release that much energy with a dyson sphere/swarm the size of our sun, but a nerf gun can.
>>
>>388266465

from the Half Life 3 story :
>What they did not realize was that the Bootstrap Device travelled in time as well as space. Nor was it limited to one time or one location. The Borealis, and the moment of its activation, were stretched across space and time, between the nearly forgotten Lake Michigan of the Seven Hour War and the present day Antarctic; it was pulled taut as an elastic band, vibrating, except where at certain points along its length one could find still points, like the harmonic spots along a vibrating guitar string. One of these harmonics was where we boarded, but the string ran forward and back, in both time and space, and we were soon pulled in every direction
>>
>>388262415
Mad scientists >>>>>>>>> actual scientists
>>
>>388266465
For temporal displacement:
At the event horizon of the portal or portals there is no effect of time dilation from extreme matter being forced apart. Matter that moves thru the portals arrives on the outward end instantaneously, making the matter move faster than light. Positioned correctly, the person exiting the portal should be able to see themselves also entering the entry point. With a long enough gap the "exitee" could shoot another portal at the "entree" version of themselves.
>>
>>388267073
In pure semantical matter, that's not really harnessing.
More to the point, that's still Type III since its liimited in output to something comparable to a galaxy or less.

>>388267042
Nah. Thought experiment are fun. A vs B debates are retarded though.

>>388267163
I'm really going to sound like an ass, but this sounds like Type III leaning towards Type IV, since they explicitely don't realize the full potential of it. Also, its limited to one specific device, not something generally in use.

>>388267686
Well you can actually do that in game if memory serves. And unless I'm mistaken, something like that under our current understanding of physics should lead to the user desintegrating in a massive boom.
>>
>>388267962
OP here just to throw in my thinking

The Combines have been confirmed NOT to have discovered time travel
The Combines are called a "multi dimensional civilisation" (Type V) and are confirmed to be at least a type II civilisation in our universe -(building a Dyson Sphere)

So actually you're right I did fuck up, Cave Johnson did not outsmart a type IV civilisation
He outsmarted a Type V
>>
>>388267962
but in the game's universe's case, it did not.
>>
File: 1481347333400.jpg (2MB, 2990x2966px) Image search: [Google]
1481347333400.jpg
2MB, 2990x2966px
>>388267962
>that's not really harnessing.
Using a gun with a trigger to release the energy on command and in metered outputs is the very definition of harnessing.
>something comparable to a galaxy or less
any Einstein-Rosen Bridge or variant of it destroys or breaks down matter into its component parts. The portals in the game safely allow matter to travel thru and back out into normal space with no harm done to the individual. That in itself is a greater mechanism than actual black holes or worm holes
>...should lead to the user disintegrating in a massive boom
And yet they don't in the game. The gun and everything surrounding it defies our understanding of reality.

Honestly, you shouldn't try to sound as smart as you are trying to whilst having as many spelling errors as you have. Work on learning to spell words correctly, then get back to the temporal mechanics at work.

I attached a pretty picture with nice colors for you to gawk at.
>>
>>388262415
>Type 4
Let's not exaggerate too much. A Type IV civilization by Sagan's metric would use up all the mass energy in the observable universe in just a few million years. Sure, the Combine spans multiple universes, but that certainly doesn't mean they are dyson sphering most of the stars in those universes.
>>
>>388267163
HOLY FUCK

DOES THIS MEAN THAT CAVE'S SHENANIGANS IN PORTAL / PORTAL 2 MAKE THE PORTAL SERIES A PREQUEL TO HALF-LIFE?
>>
File: laughing mongolian girls.jpg (44KB, 480x418px) Image search: [Google]
laughing mongolian girls.jpg
44KB, 480x418px
>>388262415
>Heimlich Counter Maneuver
>>
All of his inventions were ultimately leading up to his one true goal: To get pictures of spiderman.
>>
>>388269048
Based on the leaked script that is exactly what they are doing, but not across just the universe, across the multiverse and in all conceivable points of time within each.
>>
>>388269086
have you played half life ?
>>
File: 1430016445969.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1430016445969.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>388269250
What do they need all that energy for?
>>
>>388269086
>maybe you'll find someone else to help you
>maybe Black Mesa
>that was a joke, haha, fat chance
>>
>>388269574
going by the looks of the aliens they are micro organisms scaled up to the macro. You would need alot of energy for that shit to work. So much so that it just wouldn't work. Unless you started harnessing matter/energy from non-reality, essentially telling reality to fuck itself.
>>
>acting like the portal gun is some impossible device that the Combine wouldn't have eventually figured out
The Combine don't have tech that is optimized for this universe. That's why they use our helicopters,automobile, and gun tech.
>>
>>388269786
>they are micro organisms scaled up to the macro
Are you high right now?
>>
>>388269792
>The Combine don't have tech that is optimized for this universe. That's why they use our helicopters,automobile, and gun tech.

No it's because most of the enemies you are fighting in Half life 2 are simply mind controlled humans or cyborgs. They'd have no idea how to use any of the combines tech.
>>
I didn't read anything because meh.

So what are the Combine doing exactly? Simply collecting and controlling the energy of the multiverse so as to prolong their civilization for a quadrillion years instead of letting that greedy bitch entropy waste it all? Like by destroying high mass stars and shit?
>>
>>388269086
No. I even think they make an allusion to this in Portal 1 when GLaDOS says something like how she is the only thing standing between "us" and "them". GLaDOS somehow has managed to keep the Combine at bay.
>>
>>388269250
If the G-man tried so hard do destroy the time travel device I would argue that his "kind" is the only one capable of such feats
I also would argue that it is the whole reason of him being there, to destroy the Borealis, it's clear that his end game was the destruction of the Bootstrap Device, now, we must ask , why would an entity as powerful as him bother with a shithole like Earth, what interest would he have in the destruction of a time travel device ?
i think the answer is pretty clear.
>>
File: tardigrade_eyeofscience_1024.jpg (227KB, 1024x883px) Image search: [Google]
tardigrade_eyeofscience_1024.jpg
227KB, 1024x883px
>>388269846
He probably saw a picture of a tardigrade and then made a bunch of leaps in logic.
>>
>>388269846
The advisors are waterbears, also known as the hardiest organism known to exist as of yet. Its not unreasonable to assume they macro'd themselves and see all other lifeforms as below them.
The nihilith's realm is likely microscopic in scale. The void you see surrounding you is littered with cosmic phenomena that looks like celestial bodies, but is actually closer to what you would see under a microscope.

There are hints to this all over the series. Alot of the combine tech resembles various microscopic organisms, just scaled up to the macro level.
>>
>>388270265
maybe in another timeline the humans found the Borealis and fought off the Combine, somehow won and then went against the G-Men themselves forcing them to find the exact moment they started time traveling black mesa, which was a false flag, forcing them to stay around until someone found the Borealis or something I don't know
>>
>>388270226
No, man. It's because the Combine has Clark Tech outside of this universe, but here they are starting from darn near scratch. It's like if an advanced landlocked civilization discovered the shoreline for the first time and had to learn how to sail from stone age sailers.
>>
File: 1431915097784.jpg (65KB, 858x539px) Image search: [Google]
1431915097784.jpg
65KB, 858x539px
>>388270370
>>
>>388270370
>Alot of the combine tech resembles various microscopic organisms
>a lot
>only one
Sure thing. Real convincing.
>>
>>388270713
>a self replicating, self reparing outer wall that surrounds its core, reformatting outside matter into its protective barrier
Am I talking about the Combine smart barrier or an ordinary cell wall?
>>
>>388271167
>flies in the air
Am I taking about a bird or airplane? HOLY SHIT HUMANS ARE BIRDS!
>>
>>388270713
Some of the combine you see in the game lack bilateral symmetry. This is virtually unheard of in macroscopic organisms, it is found often in microscopic organisms.
>>
>>388271351
You are an idiot, the combine smart barrier functions identically to a cell wall. That was not an accident. There are recurring motifs of micro to macro in the combine design.
>>
>>388271402
>This is virtually unheard of in macroscopic organisms
>what are sponges
>what are jellyfish
>what is mold
>>
>>388271167
Well seeing as you are talking about technology they use and not the actual Combine themselves your whole post there is pretty irrelevant. Or are you saying it is literally impossible to develop technology that mimics the natural function of other species and that having technology that mimics a cell wall they must be cells themselves?
>>
>>388271659
>virtually
>not taking into account the unique cell structure of sponges, jellyfish, or mold and realizing they act closer to microscopic organisms than macroscopic
You just furthered my point homes.
>>
>become immortal super intelligent psychic superhero
>wants to kill herself
WTF I hate Dr. Bree now!
>>
>>388271834
You do realize there was a point in which individual cells didn't have cell walls right? you realize that cell walls came about as an evolutionary need, essentially tech created from bio matter for the betterment of the individual cell right? Cell walls are technology, just biologically based.
>>
>>388269086
wasnt whatever the name of the science company in HL and science aperture rivals? and Glados somehow manage to fend off every combine for 100 years
>>
>>388267163
I like how even in a super serious series like Half-Life they managed to put in the massive retardy going on at Aperture:
>we're going to create a device that makes us travel through space in 0 time, wherever we want!
>what do you mean it also bends time? aren't time and space separate?
>>
>>388271886
Ok
>what are flowers
>what are the fungi kingdom
You know absolutely nothing about ecology if you think mold is some rare specific thing.
>>
the real plot twist is that the combine are running away from the mustached gundam
>>
>>388272112
Yes. In the depths of the facility in Portal 1, when you're running around outside of boardrooms and shit, you can find still-running projectors comparing Aperture and Black Mesa's project development and budgets.
>>
>>388272068
What's your point anon? That species can't develop technology that takes things from other species? Oh you don't have a point because you are wrong. Even humans have technology that mimics creatures different from us. How about actually posting the actual creatures themselves? You can't because they don't resemble microorganisms at all outside one slug alien which really doesn't look much like a tardigrade.
>>
>>388272160
flowers and fungi aren't single organisms as much as colonies of smaller organisms working together. They only develop uneven bilateral symmetry in a normal earth environment due to gravity or specific needs they feed on. In a "perfect" environment for them, they would develop absolutely symmetrical.
>bringing fungi into the equation as something that isn't a rare specific thing, when fungi is neither fauna or flora, yet exhibits characteristics of both
kinda muddying the waters there anon.
>>
>>388272578
>flowers aren't single organisms
what?
>>
there is some meaty sci fi in this thread keep up the good work boys
>>
>>388272469
>they don't look like micro organisms at all except one that doesn't really look like a tardigrade.
This anon >>388270327 knew exactly what I was talking about before I even posted it. The resemblance is uncanny and diliberate. They are also the only part of the combine proper we have seen, all other organisms are various slave races they have taken over. They are the true combine.
>>
>>388268756
Source on this pic? I can't help but want to gawk at more.
>>
>>388272578
>They only develop uneven bilateral symmetry
Flowers don't develop uneven bilateral symmetry. They develop radial symmetry. Same with mushrooms and such.
>>
>>388272823
found it in some esoteric thread on some board, I don't have source proper. Do a google reverse image search and you will find more by the same artist (Paul Laffoley).
>>
>>388262968

He was just using it as a vehicle for shower curtain ring research.
>>
>>388262415
>Type IV Civilization
Dyson Spheres are for a type II civilization anon
>>
>>388269654

>But there's no use talking when there's science to do
>When I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you
>>
>>388266465
>>388267962
Aperture Science managed to create the Borealis, which was a ship capable of instantaneous transport through both space and time. The Combine, a Type IV civilization, did not possess this technology, and had Alyx not destroyed it, the boat could have lead to the
Combine's downfall.
>>
>>388272874
and under perfect conditions (even and adequate light permeation) they would develop to be perfectly symmetrical in their radial structure. They only appear uneven to us because they don't live in an absolutely perfect system for their structure. Good enough, not perfect.
>>
>>388273272
Radial symmetry and bilateral symmetry are two different things. And like I said flowers have radial symmetry not bilateral symmetry under any conditions. Are you moving goal posts from bilateral symmetry to any kind of symmetry?
>>
>>388273484
No, I'm not moving goalposts bro, you are. You said plants don't create uneven bilateral symmetry, which they do. They DO create uneven bilateral symmetry while also creating even radial symmetry. You went off on a tangent instead of addressing my post. I just went along with it.
>>
File: 1410262169073.jpg (33KB, 683x324px) Image search: [Google]
1410262169073.jpg
33KB, 683x324px
>>388269086
Not only that but obviously Gordon and Chell are supposed to meet up by the end in the distant future, combining both series.
>>
>taking the meme writing of Portal 2 seriously

nah.

i mean, i guess it was sort of funny the unhinged lunatic shower salesman willed away his entire mad science lab to his secretary who then uploaded her mind into a computer server and became for all intensive purposes SHODAN, except more interested in testing than genesplicing.
>>
>>388274472
caroline's mind was uploaded forcefully into the computer while she was still alive, not by her own choice
>>
>>388267073
and even aperture can send their own people to different universes too the number of times they want
a technology that even the allmighty Combine interdimensional empire wants for themselves
>>
>>388262968
He didn't have a market, most of the possible clients were sucking BM's dick
>>
>>388273109
The writing implies it's one of many Dyson spheres.

You children really need to work on that reading comprehension.

I suggest starting with some good historical non-fiction or Nancy Drew novels.
>>
>>388268756
>Using a gun with a trigger to release the energy on command
How much energy are we talking about, again?
>energy to literally rip the fabric of space-time
Bending=/=ripping, second, how much energy does that take exactly? The fact that the portals are made really means that the fun is actually harnessing the energy, couldn't it be that in merely sets the conditions by which the natural laws of the universe would eventually create the desired portals; to explain; you can use a very small amount of energy to accelerate the death of a star by increasing it's mass, but that doesn't get you close to capturing and storing the energy released once said star goes supernova.

The closest real life explanation to the Portal gun of course would be a worm hole, hypothetical but ever so slightly possible under our current understatement of reality, the problem with wormholes is that they can collapse and that would destroy the whole universe, which is probably why the Combine doesn't mess with them.
>>
Op?

Did he see a snipe-
>>
>>388276238
Many Dyson Spheres doesn't equate to even a Type III civilization. You need one for every single star in a galaxy to even be Type III
>>
File: 1450829940467.jpg (11KB, 203x287px) Image search: [Google]
1450829940467.jpg
11KB, 203x287px
>Later via investments focus on using said teleportation larger scale
>Creates inter-dimensional time travel
>Not even Lovecraftian Alien gods that colonized the entire milky way galaxy figured that shit out
>They only used it to get around labor laws and get shitty interns to do their work for them
This makes me appreciate Portal 1 and 2 more then ever.
>>
>>388277143
as op said
>>388268504
The combine are called a Multi Dimensional Civilisation, the exact definition of a Type V civilisation, however they seem to be struggling to take hold of our universe which would make them more of a type IV.
>>
>>388262415

There's nothing to talk about. The reason is actually just "lol quirky writing xD" and that's the end of it. The original Portal was a neat game, and the bits of story made it intriguing and interesting.

Portal 2 was born from memes and kids. While still an okay game, it's infinitely less interesting because it tries too hard to be quirky and live up to the memes.
>>
>>388272068
Are you confusing cell walls with membranes?
>>
>>388267163
the guy who fixed the names for the story forgot to change Antarctica to the Arctic.
I can't imagine Gordon and Alyx flying from Europe to the other side of the world in a dinky helicopter without pitstoping.
>>
File: 1394559331975.jpg (871KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1394559331975.jpg
871KB, 1440x900px
>>388270370
YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF WATER BEAR VIGOR IS BASED ON io9 HORSE SHIT AND POPULAR SCIENCE YOU SAW ON FACEBOOK AND I HATE YOU
>>
>>388270265

G-man more like (((J-man)))
>>
>>388270265
>i think the answer is pretty clear.
Not clear to me. Why?
>>
>>388262415
Cave Johnson and his Johnson Cave
>>
>>388281181

Alyx was banging G-man all along.

Ever since Black Mesa
>>
Aperture were the good guys all along and Black Mesa were the bad guys all along.
>>
File: SG-Fabrication.jpg (153KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
SG-Fabrication.jpg
153KB, 960x540px
>>388262415

It's not unrealistc. In the 1950s companies that made coal stoves suddenly found themselves building nuclear reactors since they share the same basic concept. Companies like BWXT are a rough IRL equivalent of Aperture Science.

And in the end, it was Cave Johnson who won it all. His luxury liner (which he somehow got all the way up into Lake Huron) saved the universe by destroying the Combine. Gman is probably one of his employees, if you really think about it (Aperture more or less has a time machine and teleporter at their disposal). They're only organization capable of stopping the alien threat Black Mesa unleashed.
>>
File: 1455909499663.jpg (24KB, 404x350px) Image search: [Google]
1455909499663.jpg
24KB, 404x350px
>>388281540
>saved the universe by destroying the Combine.
Anon...
>>
File: error.jpg (2KB, 100x96px) Image search: [Google]
error.jpg
2KB, 100x96px
>>388281849

Laidlaw left it open to interpretation. Considering that the Borealis is a literal teleporting time travel machine that can do space magic, I don't see why I can't just choose to have a happy ending. I like to think Alyx went back in time and shot Breen in his house Terminator 2 style.

I'll believe what I want because it's not like it matters as Half Life is over.
>>
>Half-Life made on a modified Quake engine
>final game involves telefragging the big bad

It all comes full circle
>>
File: comfy guy 2.jpg (155KB, 500x651px) Image search: [Google]
comfy guy 2.jpg
155KB, 500x651px
>>388282032
and then the ending scene of Brazil plays
>>
File: increase the memes.png (1MB, 989x1334px) Image search: [Google]
increase the memes.png
1MB, 989x1334px
>>388282297

Believe what you want. I liked Terminator 2 more than I liked Brazil.
>>
File: 1503709933501.jpg (86KB, 464x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1503709933501.jpg
86KB, 464x1500px
>>388262415
Pretty sure the combine was a type 5 and G-man is probably type 6 (can manipulate and control the entire extent of the entire multiverse and all the timespan within it)
>>
File: 1490990889113.png (352KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1490990889113.png
352KB, 1000x1000px
>>388262415
Portal technology is the forbidden fruit.

The G-man and their race exist to prevent our universe from ever acquiring it. So they conspired to kill the Nihilant and prevented the Combine from acquiring it.

Every time some race in the universe discovers portals, the G-man appears to stop it.

For the Combine, portals are the holy grail and they want it at any cost, even if it means enslaving the whole universe
>>
>>388283103
I'd agree with this to a point, but you gotta remember that G-Man's messing with the entirety of human history goes deeper than that.
If his end-game was to truly just get the portal/teleportation tech from our hands, why create the Resonance Cascade and have humanity appear on the Combine's radar?
Wouldn't it have been easier to just blow up the boat and kill everyone involved with it's creation? Or does the G-Man think it would be only a matter of time until another human was genius enough to create it? And only slavery would ensure that no one would get close to making it again? That's a bit too much.
How do the events on Xen tie into all this? Gordon apparently became the most precious employee because of what he managed to pull there.
FOR REAL WHAT WAS THIS NIGGA'S ENDGAME?
>>
I just thought G-Man was a human from the distant future coming back to help humans on their path.
>>
>>388283750
It's more like he noticed that humanity would develop time travel abilities and decided to start the motions that would let to the combine invading earth because he knows it'll mean that occupied earth seizes portal research and the borealis will get destroyed used as a futile missile.

That humanity gets enslaved by the combine is just collateral damage.

He doesn't give a fuck about humanity and the combine which are both inferior species on a lower plane of existence. He just wanted to ensure nobody developed time travel tech in the most efficient way possible.
>>
>>388283750
>And only slavery would ensure that no one would get close to making it again?

It probably is. He's like a 4th dimensional being. Having the combine enslaving humanity was probably as easy as putting a drop of honey on a table and waiting for the ants to come and eat it.

He must have set up the resonance cascade in a way that attracted the combine, since Aperture didn't do it. I'd bet he was even behind the Borealis "failure"
>>
>>388283986
I used to think G-man was gordon from the future and the plottwist of episode 3 would be that you'd hear gorden talk at the end and having the same voice ad the G-man (Gordon-man)
>>
G-man is the full realization of the Borealis research. Want to know what's inside his suitcase? An Aperture Science ID Card
>>
>>388283750
Then why didn't G-Man fuck with Aperture?
I mean Cave huffing moon rocks probably made G-Man complacent that he might die before they get the teleportation tech
Not only they did teleportation tech in record time, Cave used the tech to Jew the fuck out other universes
>>
>>388262415
how come portal 2 did lol le epic randumb humor but it was good tho?
>>
>>388262415
Or maybe it's a bunch of tongue-in-cheek nonsense that no one is supposed to take seriously
>>
>>388284385
>Then why didn't G-Man fuck with Aperture?

Who said he didn't? Aperture doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>388284385
G-Man is Cave after he transcended
>>
>>388284462
Wheatley was a fine character, his bits were just occasionally overdone. He wasn't claptrap or anything. The only other randumb thing was the lemon rant
It wasn't invasive enough to ruin the solid gameplay of the game
desu I liked the "the part where he kills you" and the lemon rant
>>
>>388284462
The le ebic random lulz humor wasn't over saturated. It was spaced out and paced well inbetween puzzles. What made it annoying was the fanbase that would repeat lines as if quoting the game equates to a joke or something and kind of ruined the game in hindsight.
>>
>>388284462
The random jokes weren't funny.
The context of a mute human watching two robots bicker over stupid shit like being adopted or not while in an isolated facility in a wartorn world hundreds of years into the future, is funny.
>>
>>388285037
I really think the whole game is well-written and it's probably one of the funniest games of all time, but I couldn't tell you why it's so much better than garbage like Saint's Row 4
>>
File: 1496591062171.jpg (110KB, 560x913px) Image search: [Google]
1496591062171.jpg
110KB, 560x913px
>>388284462
>>388285037
>>388285065

I never liked the tone and pacing of Portal 2.

I fucking preordered 2 copies of the game because I loved portal one because of the somber depressive psychological horror tone it had. Especially with the secret areas with depressive text on the walls etc.

Then Portal 2 starts and I still have hope. The beginning is pretty good and it looks like it'll be a good story.

Then wheatley happened which was already sorta a downer but could still be palpable.

Finally Glados starts up again and this time it's just a smug AI being comedic. And don't get me started on the fucking potato bullshit moments.

The puzzles were also WAY too easy and pretty unsatisfying compared to playing portal 1 for the first time.
>>
>>388282032
I like to believe JOHN FREEMAN,GORDON FREEMAN'S BROTHER came and saved the day.
>>
>>388285479
Shit I forgot about the potato, that was stupid
I don't think the puzzles were any more or less hard. It did definitely lose the mood early on in the game though
On the offchance you havent played limbo I'd recommend it
>>
this is the real ending to half life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs
>>
>>388285479

>Goodbye, sir

Surely this brought a tear to your eye. She sounded so content. Especially when contrasted against the unused audio where she's being mind-raped to be turned into Glados
>>
So wait, does it even matter when Portal 1 or 2 take place because of all the time-fuckery?

How long was the gap between games supposed to be?
>>
>>388286334
I was left alone, riding the weaponized luxury liner into the heart of a Combine world. An immense light blazed. I caught a cosmic view of a brilliantly glittering Dyson sphere. The vastness of the Combine’s power, the futility of our struggle, blossomed briefly in my awareness. I saw everything. Mainly I saw how the Borealis, our most powerful weapon, would register as less than a fizzling matchhead as it blew itself apart. And what remained of me would be even less than that.

>a combine world
>a, not THE

We also know from half life 1 that they control more universes and species within them.

Hell. They were probably stripping Earth for resources to build a dyson sphere around the sun as well.
>>
>>388284820
Glados did a fine job not letting the resonance cascade fuck with aperture and staying hidden from both G-Man and the Combine
>>
>>388286712

It's implied that the Combine can only travel between universes, not within universes. Every one of their worlds is Earth, in a different timeline. They're a linear empire, like a rope pulled taught across the multiverse, intersecting each plan of reality just in one spot.
>>
Capitalism at it's finest.
>>
>>388275838
Probably because their stuff was less experimental and extremely dangerous. Also their tech was more military focused stuff which you know peaks more interest than say gel that makes you bounce around or move really fast. The portal gun too, was pretty limited in reality as it couldn't work on a majority of services. Any military applications are thrown out the window.
>>
>>388285343
Hey. Saints Row 4 was a good boy. He didn't do nothin wrong.
Well okay, some of the jokes were hit and miss and the game as a whole was the metaphorical gun that shot the series dead in the street. But it had already gone completely to shit with Saints Row 3 which was genuinely god awful, so if anything it was a mercy killing.
>>
>>388287458
sr3 was the best selling entry in the whole series though.
>>
File: 1495177463470.png (166KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495177463470.png
166KB, 600x600px
>>388265946
Don't forget they made time traveling stuff as well, since the Borealis is well you know is a time machine.
>>
>>388287861
What the fuck do you think "temporal displacement" is, dumb kurisu poster?
>>
>>388287594
Yeah. Because it came off the back of Saints Row 2 and everyone though it was going to be the hottest shit since San Andreas.
I know I felt so fucking betrayed I didn't even touch SR4 for a year before pirating it and finding out that the whole game is basically just a big apology letter. Not really a fan of the whole super hero thing they were going for though.
>>
>>388287594
Because it was marketed like crazy as well as partnered up with Adult Swim to give it more hype and appeal to teens and stoners.
>>
>>388271659
those are all examples of microscopic organisms, idiot, every "cell" of a jellyfish,sponge, and mold its its own organism, they live together in a colony, they are basically biological cities.
>>
>>388288054
>manowar jellyfish
>microscopic
You what? I'm guessing this is bait.
>>
>>388287993
Honestly, SR4 should have just been a different game rather than be a sequel to Saints Row 3. What was even the point of driving cars in that game when you have super speed and jumping to get you around the city? For a short amount of time you do have to use guns but once your range attack is strong enough and got good enough mods, all the guns sans the black hole launcher become useless.

It was clear they had run out of ideas for what to do with the Saints. They should have never made them global superstars in SR3. If anything it should have made them becoming a major player on the scene the story of the third game. Stilwater was theirs and after years of running the show, the Boss thinks they need to start branching out into other cities.
>>
>>388288646
you know how you can see humans cities from space?

thats what you are seeing when you look at a jellyfish, the city that those millions of organisms form
>>
>>388287193
Dude for logistics and transport the portal gun would've been a tactical game changer. Any army with that sort of instant transport would just win flat out. Countries would start wars to get a hold of that portal technology.
>>
>>388288962
Yeah bait, or just incredibly stupid. That's not what jellyfish are at all.
>>
>>388289025
But as I said, it couldn't work on a majority of surfaces. It couldn't even be placed on metal walls. The only progress they made with the device was making it more practical in size compared to having a gigantic battery strapped to you back when they first developed it back in the 70's. Why pour money into something that will take decades and decades to make useful when Black Mesa is making stuff that's useful just a few years down the road?
>>
>>388289443
Manufacture two big screens of that material, let's say 10 x 10 meters, boom you got instant tank and troop transport across continents.
>>
>>388289781
You shoot a portal at the actual moon in the second game so distance shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>388265471
Nah, it's pretty mystical in a way.
>>
>>388268504
I'm pretty sure it was the researchers under him that found all these new and exciting things
still, management is important, I mean to even say yes to a project like that takes some balls
>>
>>388289846
just leave the first portal at the base and then bring the wall to your destination and open the 2nd portal there
>>
Whenever portal2 was set, it was so far into the future that when you were in the moon and you look back at earth, it's back to green and blue. It has water and plants again.
which means Gordon did made the Combine leave.
And glados woke up some humans in storage so...
>>
>>388274642
well they took out the lines that depicted that, so I'm not sure it's supposed to be canon still
I like to think she didn't want to but in the end she let them because she missed Johnson and because she respected him so much
>>
>>388273197
I thought Combine were Type II or III
>>
>>388291767

But, there was still plenty of green and blue left during the events of Half Life 2.
>>
Ok im legit interested in whatever else Laidlaw has written, has anyone read anyone of his books?
>>
>>388289397
man'o'wars aren't jellyfish
>>
>>388262415
>technologies even beyond a Type IV civilisation's
But this is wrong. Civilization types are about harnessing energy, not about traveling distances. Having portals doesn't mean you're able to harness all of your planet's excess energy like a type 1. It doesn't mean you're able to harness all of the sun's energy and send it to earth, like a type 2. It doesn't mean you're able to harness all of the galaxy's energy like a type 3.
>>
Memeing aside, we all agree that Portal 2 was actually fantastic, right? Valve dropped the ball trying to shoehorn the shitty microtransaction store in the game, but that was really its only misstep. I know people like to pretend that the game is much easier than the first game, but neither games were challenging.
>>
>>388289443
it's the ansible situation
it doesn't save you time right away, but once you get both endpoints up and running, it saves you all the time in the world
>>
>>388293184
there were microtransactions in Portal 2?
>>
>>388293304
you could buy hats and things for the co-op bots
not many people bothered because you couldn't rub it people's faces like in a competitive game
>>
>>388293001
They are just referring to how aperture has developed technology that even the combine (a type iv civilisation, maybe even type v) hasn't.
>>
>>388293378
I heard those items don't even work properly now because of some bug valve is too lazy to fix. The game still has a menu option for trading that just says coming soon lel
>>
>>388293441
>type v
what the fuck is beyond multiversal
>>
>>388273042
>he never took any of his company's research seriously, he thought his friends on the board were embezzling the money and they were just having a laugh by proposing crazy shit, his friends were serious the whole time.
>>
>>388278027
And both games' stories and mechanics fall short of the masterpiece that inspired it all, Narbacular Drop.
>>
>>388286712
But if the Borealis was existing at all points and times in space, then isn't it effectively indestructible? I mean all they really did was just destroy one instance of it, so couldn't they just go on a DB search for the Borealis ball?
>>
>>388293184
I preferred 1 because it was just portal puzzles with no frills. The humor and story were both very minimal.
>>
>>388295454
There is only 1 instance of the Borealis and it exists across all time and space.
>>
>>388295589
Then how come it didn't destroy it self on the dyson sphere earlier?
>>
>>388295723
It was trying to travel to Antartica but it got stuck in an iceberg
>>
>>388295454
>existing at all points and times in space
No just all points and times in space along a path from point A to point B where the initial trip took it. After the initial jump Gordon destroys it before it can do another jump.
>>
>>388295912
Then why didn't the ice berg destroy it?
>>
>>388296501
The Borealis wasn't trying to land there. The ice berg was just in the way.
>>
>>388291887
thats entirely your own projection, anon
you would be the most unreliable witness ever
>>
>>388286850
put me in screepcap le pool XD
>>
>>388274472
>for all intensive purposes
>>
>>388297371
goofs like that are a diamond dozen in this doggy-dog world
>>
>>388266465
>The springy legs absorbers are bizarre but not universal in scale. Type III could definitely have that, if not Type II
It's not the fall that kills you...
>>
>>388297371
how do people still fall for this
>>
>>388282032
>>388282032
You're right anon.
>>
>>388272068
Evolution isn't technology. In the very least technology implies a will or direction behind it. It wasn't created for the betterment of the individual cell. A cell mutated and it lives longer or divided easier and it passed it on.
>>
>>388262415
The fact that they haven't figured out short range teleportation might stem from the fact that they've figured out long range teleportation. For the combine it would be like trying to reinvent the wheel from scratch. Seeing as how Aperture's version fucks with time, they'd probably have to throw away everything they know about teleportation to start finding the true path.
>>
>>388299802
People are stupid, face the fax
>>
>>388274472
>all intensive purposes
every time
>>
>>388262415
I want to facefuck Caroline
>>
File: 1501029082260.png (66KB, 251x253px) Image search: [Google]
1501029082260.png
66KB, 251x253px
old man was a debugger at microsoft, i can believe this. he was tasked to hire people, and given free reign. he had an electric car in the 80`-90`s, and his main question was why was the car so silent. walked around the offices as a dumbass shit kid, place was cool, gabe worked on the same floor but never saw his ( surprisingly thin at the time ) massive girth. gabe was some shit kicker at the time doing whatever, and the old folks went over a few times to his place. apparently, they had a stack of magazines at the floor of the stairs and it had been there so long the print was permently forced into the wood below.

i first became aware of this connection when i went to show the old man the left 4 dead presentation and he recognized the guy. he looked at me and went "...gabe? he....let himself go"
the memory gets funnier every year
>>
>>388262415
he's the applied physics equivalent of nintendo.
>>
>>388301358
well its a doggy dog world out there
>>
>>388265775
The technology to make a turret fire the entire bullet.
>>
>>388305221
not even the krauts are capable of such space magic.
>>
>>388305378
ahem. you cant seriously mention space magic and krauts and not expect someone to post that gun
>>
>>388282889
But G-man gets easily cockblocked by vortigaunts.
>>
yes the story of portal 2 was pure meme garbage

WE KNOW
>>
>>388307681
Turns out portals can be placed on moving surfaces.
The cake is a lie hehe
>>
>>388282032
>shot breen
but then who would have negotiated peace before the 7 hour war wiped out humanity?
breen did nothing wrong

also the g-man caused the resonance cascade. he clearly wanted it to happen why would he let alyx stop it?
>>
>>388308067
>breen did nothing wrong

He probably caused the resonance cascade on purpose and then conveniently became the leader of mankind in the ensuing chaos

>The Administrator is very concerned that we get a conclusive analysis of today's sample. I gather they went to some lengths to get it.
>>
>>388308684
what do you think breen knew about alternate dimensions full of aliens all along? don't be silly, he probably was just interested in this mysterious thing and had orders from above
>>
>>388262415
There's porn of Caroline somewhere, right??
>>
>>388308801
The mysterious thing was obviously brought back from Xen and they've built a bunch of devices and teleporters specifically for going into other dimensions before the resonance cascade even happens.

Breen is the administrator, he's at the top and probably the only person who knew everything that went on in the different facilities of Black Mesa
>>
>>388267042
You first.
>>
File: caroline.png (375KB, 813x1000px) Image search: [Google]
caroline.png
375KB, 813x1000px
>>388309041

Right here chief.
>>
>>388309265
Gay
>>
>>388309118
that doesn't mean he knew what would happen. considering he tried to stop the after effects and the g-man who caused the resonance cascade sends gordon to oppose him in hl2 it's logical to assume he was not in cahoots with that.

breen did literally nothing wrong.
he is the hero humanity deservers
>>
File: 1428444592943.gif (2MB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
1428444592943.gif
2MB, 288x288px
Anyone else find Wheatley to be weird?
Out of all the bots you've encountered, he acts like a normal human being especially on how his voice sounds smooth while the rest sounds robotic. What makes it even weirder is that he knows how it feels like to have an itch when I'm pretty sure robots can't feel things in the first place.
Is it me or did I miss the part in which it stated that he was once a human transferred to a robot like GLaDOS?
>>
>>388310321
He's supposed to be the equivalent of a robotic brain tumor, so he sounded very human because his purpose was to defy logic and reason.
>>
>>388309118
achtually, the gman gave them the crystal. breen likely knew about xen, maybe, but he wasn't the direct cause of the cascade. the gman was.
>>
My take on it is that earth is like an an colony. Why would anyone care about it, they wouldn't. Except we had developed the technologies the Combine weren't able to create. Portals and interdimensional travel as well as time travel. Why would such an advanced civilization not have these? Maybe because the combine didnt invent any of it. They stole it. G-man started the incident at Black Mesa due to this somehow being the start of what would lead to the downfall of the Combine empire once and for all. They may be enormously powerful, but they have enemies and are not the only advanced race out there. Gordon's effort in destroying the Borealis wasn't a small blow, it was a heavy blow to the Combine. In my opinion but none of this is likely true so just fan fiction.
>>
>>388312032
When Half life 3 gets released 10 years from now. The only thing I will remember about today and yesterday is how much ant analogies there were
>>
Fanfiction is not canon you morons.
>>
>>388310469
>character that's supposed to be an idiot
>more intelligent than 90% of the playerbase
>>
Why G-man didnt stop Combine before earth
or atleast tried to stop them before
who knows.

if you wanna make it logical then you would assume Borealis made reality that g-man able to contact with us i guess.
>>
Does the borealis have different tech than the portal gun? If so, in theory teleportation does still exist on HL earth
>>
>>388269086
Portal 2 was 50,000 years after HL2 IIRC
>>
>>388315431
The g-man is like a jew, working in the shadows, with no clear alliances, working to overthrow something.
>>
File: 1502457408692.jpg (62KB, 309x305px) Image search: [Google]
1502457408692.jpg
62KB, 309x305px
>>388310469
>>388310321
Wasn't the VA shoehorned in over a professional because muh valve connections? I wouldn't pay much attention to what wheatley says.
>>
>>388286849
>Every one of their worlds is Earth, in a different timeline
Then they can't have built a Dyson Sphere because all the non-stellar matter in the solar system doesn't amount to dick
>>
>>388317761
They originally said Wheatly was going to be voiced "by some guy from the office" and in the original teasers, his VA was literally just some guy from the Valve offices
>>
>>388272578
>as much as colonies of smaller organisms working togethe

This is every multicellular organism.
>>
>>388318242
Possibly you have missed the pun.
>>
>>388281540
> In the 1950s companies that made coal stoves suddenly found themselves building nuclear reactors since they share the same basic concept.

TIL teleportation share the same basic concept of some shower curtains
>>
>>388271402
>Some of the combine you see in the game lack bilateral symmetry

And those are?
>>
>>388319136
You want to keep your shower water inside the shower? Use a curtain. Want to get in and out of a shower? Open an aperture in the curtain. You want to get in and out of the shower without the curtain getting stuck on your leg? Open a aperture in the fabric of spacetime and bypass the curtain altogether.

This is basic stuff, here. No wonder you don't work in the sciences.
>>
>>388268756
do you mind if i print this monopoly board
>>
>>388317761
>>388318242
Stephen merchant is wheatleys VA

Wouldn't say that guy was shoehorned in.

He was a co-writer on "The Office"
Thread posts: 222
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.