[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you hate this game, really? The story isn't *THAT*

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 27

File: Final_Fantasy_XV_Logo.png (1MB, 1920x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_XV_Logo.png
1MB, 1920x1230px
Why do you hate this game, really? The story isn't *THAT* incomplete. The combat isn't *THAT* bad (look at FFVII by comparison). The quests aren't *THAT* bad.

Did you literally not have any fun with this game? It's the only open world game I've liked since New Vegas.
>>
>>388240084
I didn't like how everything was so cumbersome. Movement speed is slow. The car is slow. Getting quests done was slow. Loading was slow. Bosses are slow. Etc.
>>
>>388240237
Loading was definitely slow.

I guess I enjoyed the pacing of it. Driving in the car and listening to IX, XII, etc. soundtracks was relaxing.
>>
>the game isn't THAT flawed
So its flawed.
>>
>>388240772
Name a game that isn't
God Hand doesn't count
>>
>>388240084
Why do you care so much? Noone said it's not allowed to like the game.
I just think it's really mediocre. It has some nice music for the most part, monster designs are good and the food looks great and 1-2 dungeons are well done. Aside from that it feels unfinished in every aspect including gameplay.
>look at FFVII by comparison
You mean a 20 year old game? Why is that always the only argument you people can bring.
The game should've either been cancelled in 2011 or shouldn't have been annoucned in 2013 so they could just work on it for a few more years while releasing other titles in the meantime. Also the throne scnee totally ruins the campfire scene and imo while the gameplay sure is flashy as fuck it has some of the worst balance in the series. They should've focused on less options and blance those instead of giving you tons of options but a few of those are too good to not use tem compared to most of the rest.
It's fine if people dislike it or like it or think it was just fine, except when they go overboard like xv-kun and defend in 24/7 on multiple websites while telling everyone with different opinions that they're cunts or that they should kill themselfs
>>
>>388241293

Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest VIII come to mind. Both games could improve things, but aren't flawed.
>>
>why do you people hate this game? In my opinion it's not that bad
Because it's your opinion. Other people have theirs.
>>
>>388240084
It's definitely flawed, but it was my favourite game of last year.
>>
>>388241462
And i forgot to mention the fact that you can only accept one hunt at a time. Did noone playtest this shit, there're are so many amateur mistakes it's weird. The "open" world also doesn't really feel open, there're quite a few invsisible walls even after the patches especially near rivers and it's more like two huge areas around the road that leads you trhough the story.
It had too much potential for it's own good and instead of trying to refine what they were given they made more and more changes and listened too much to fan feedback, so much that they changed the whole combat system a year before release. At least have some confidence in your dev team ffs.
>>
File: 1442882407995.jpg (481KB, 1235x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1442882407995.jpg
481KB, 1235x1600px
>>388240084
what actually comes with a season pass besides the individual party member DLC? can i play the eventual multiplayer and whatever random updates they put out without a season pass?
>>
Because the game is now getting ported to PC. Before that it was 10/10. Like every single time the ps4 loses an exclusive.
>>
>>388240084
>The combat isn't *THAT* bad (look at FFVII by comparison)
whats the problem with turn based?
>>
File: 1502991329190.jpg (49KB, 675x683px) Image search: [Google]
1502991329190.jpg
49KB, 675x683px
>>388240084
>The story isn't *THAT* incomplete.
The entire Nifilheim Empire is gone, you know that by reading 3 pieces of paper, this is a very simple example.
> The combat isn't *THAT* bad
True
>The quests aren't *THAT* bad.
Get me a dog tag.
Get me a dog tag.
Get me a dog tag.
Get me a dog tag.
Get me some frogs.
Get me a dog tag.
Get me a dog tag.
Get me some frogs, etc...
This is unforgivable, the side quests had to be about the side characters, and the lore and the world, not this shit.
>>
shit thread
>>
File: snek.webm (3MB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
snek.webm
3MB, 600x350px
>>388240084
Then why are they patching in essential story content and still releasing essential story content as paid DLC almost a year after its release?
>The combat isn't *THAT* bad
You're right, it's worse.
Name one quest that isn't: follow quest marker, collect/do 'X' number of things, return to quest giver.
>>
>>388240420
Well okay, you enjoy waiting to get somewhere in a car while listening to previous FF soundtracks? I don't like the slow pace and I don't think a lot of other people do.
>>
>>388242020
The story is actually something I completely didn't care about. It's so far below anything captivating its unreal.

>Hurr evil empire!
I mean the MCs LITERALLY refer to them as "The Empire", that's some low tier trope shit. And then there's the presentation where the game expects you to know or care about all this shit despite setting nothing up
>>
>>388242082
Quite fitting
>>
I don't know, anon.
Maybe because it looks gay as fuck.
Also, I've seen my brother play it, and hearing those faggot scream like girls while fighting was just too annoying to bear with. So I made him wear headphones.
Otherwise, I didn't see much, as it seems half the game is loading screens.
>>
>>388242408
>despite setting nothing up
Hmmm...
>>
>>388240084
I didn't hate it at all. It was enjoyable, but only to a certain extent. The story was just pure mediocre. Everything about this game was too simple and bland. The DLCs didn't do much either. Gladio's DLC was pretty bad. I did enjoy episode Prompto for the story, but it was too short. I kind of feel bad for how poorly the story was constructed. I wish Square spent an extra year or two on this game to be honest here.
It's not a terrible game or a good game either.
>>
>>388242408
I actually believed we'd have a chapter about infiltrating the empire wearing a disguise and buying niflheim gear and gettin to know niflheim technology and how people live, and maybe destroy it from within, I made sure i didnt see spoilers of it and played it with that belief in mind, I bought the game during a storm and got soaked wet just to be disappointed!
>>
>>388242408
The worst thing is that they give you basicly no reason ingame to actually go against them or hate them. The movie doesn't even fit will into the game and even then gives me no reason to care about my kingdom or regis or luna because i never did anything special with them ingame or something like that.
Why not have a good prolouge in Insomnia with your party members, then go meet your dad, then the invasion happens and you have to flee from the city while looking back at all the ruins and shit.
And Luna might as well not exist. If it wasn't for the throne scene at the end you could easily remove her from the game
>>
>>388240084
Nomura fanboys are convinced Versus was definitely going to be much better than what we got, even though its development stalled so hard Square Enix had to replace him.
This wouldn't have happened if Nomura were more diligent.
>>
>>388240084
2013 trailers were amazing a really hyped the shit out of me.

Yet we got something that can be considered another game and well, it's just mediocre.
>>
File: muh exclusives.jpg (1MB, 3840x2006px) Image search: [Google]
muh exclusives.jpg
1MB, 3840x2006px
>>388241987
>ps4 exclusive
*also available on xbox one. Squenix and the director said before launch it would come to pc to show what the engine was capabile of.
>>
>>388241987
Go back to the PC thread with your bait
>>
>>388242569
I play games, I don't watch films
>>
>>388242569

>have to watch a seperate anime to get the full story
I bet you're one of those guys who defends the story for Kingdom Hearts.
>>
File: 1503598604165.webm (3MB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
1503598604165.webm
3MB, 700x500px
>>388242591
>>388242813
>It's just mediocre! I swear, it's not awful guys!
Hope they're paying you well.
>>
>>388242569
>the game expects you to know or care about all this shit despite setting nothing up
>the game
Really makes me ponder.
>>
>>388240084
I don't hate it, but it's hard to not feel the sting of disappointment with all the missed potential the game had. Even without looking at Versus XIII, there's so much stuff in the finished product that could have been implemented or executed better. Like, why doesn't Noctis have an always-available double jump or an air dash? It would have drastically improved the fluidity of the gameplay, and he has animations in-game that could be used for those things so all it would take to implement them would be better foresight and vision on the part of the devs, but they're locked behind obtuse mechanics instead of just being available to the player with a simple button press. Also the magic is really lame. One of the cool things about doing an action-RPG like this is all the crazy effects you can do with magic, especially if you're carrying over the stuff from previous FF games, but instead all we get are AoE nukes with lingering effects, and you have to give up a weapon slot to do it. Things like Prompto's gravity well, the Toad effect, support magic like Haste, Stop, Barrier, etc., should have all been magic available to Noctis, and implemented in a way that doesn't rob the player of a weapon slot to use them.

Also, the Insomnia invasion should never have been cut out of the game. It should have been the first hour or two of gameplay before the player gets to the open world. If it had been playable, it would have given the game a chance to properly introduce the characters, their relationships with each other, and the world/major conflicts, it would allow the game to have a more structured opening to explain the controls and mechanics instead of relegating that to some out of universe tutorial mode, it would add some excitement and drama at the beginning to hook players in before things slow down, and it would have made the return to Insomnia at the end significantly more impactful. The entire game would have improved if that segment had been left in.
>>
>>388242759
The motivation for fighting the Empire is just they are described as Generic Evil Empire by all MC and NPC
>>
>>388242812
Oh shut up, i don't give a shit about Nomura or any games he worked on except for maybe TWEWY. Don't act like this game is great as long as you're not a Nomura fanboy, it has obvious flaws and how hard you're trying to ignore them is up to each person.
Why is "look at 20 year old game in comparison" or "it's just [insert fanboy]" the only thing you guys have as an argument. It's fine if you liked it or disliked it but don't delude yourself like that.
The irony is that the biggest XV fanboy that always goes nuts here actually made me more aware of quite a few flaws this game has. Not to mention all the post release stuff. Updates and DLC is "fine" even though it should've just been one complete thing right away, but all the promotions and marketing and mobile games and anime and movies and lore books etc. is just dumb.
It feels like they're afraid that people forget about it when they don't push out new stuff every month
>>
Kinda off topic but what was squeenix Business Division 1 working on before FF7R?
>>
File: wallpaper-noctt.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-noctt.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>388243009
The gameplay was pretty fun to mess with. Switching armigers and creating combos with others. Really wish there was a hard difficulty for the game overall instead of those daily hunts. The mediocre part falls in terms of story.
>>
>>388243631
Lightning Returns?
>>
File: Average FFXV Fight.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Average FFXV Fight.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>388243759
>creating combos
You mean getting hit out of one because of the non existent hit stun?
>>
>>388243631
The 13 games i think including LR and the X,X-2 remakes, tohugh i think for 7R they get help from BD4 which worked on Dissidia for example. And some battle deisgners from the old KH team and of course all the old guys that worked on the original FF7, at tleast he important ones
>>
>>388243962
Yah. That was pretty retarded. I think you can dodge some of those by guessing when to dodge in midair or some shit, or changing the direction of the left stick. I pulled it sometimes. In the webm, looks like that faggot is holding up the fucking left stick while doing downs circle only.
>>
>>388244590
Fuck. I typed that wrong.
*while holding down circle*
>>
>>388243759
I wish the attacks would actually feel like combos. I know you can technicalyl tap the button, but the animation cycles are still based around holding it which is especially obvious when you end "combos" early. In other games like Tales or KH you'd just tap 3 times and get 3 hits and your characters stops after that but in XV since it's technically an animaiton cycle that isn't completed yet Noctis always does this weird backstep to slowly cancel out of the cycle, it just never feels like you're 100% in control.
The only weapon that comes closest to that are the daggers because they're so fast that you can actually tap at different speed and get the results you want without a backstep taking you out of it. And magic should've been implemented better or you should be able have movement options while doing them even a simple slide during a fire cast like KH would work.
FF was never some deep shit, but XV is too much on the style over substance side. They really should learn than more isn't always better.
>>
File: jesus christ.jpg (59KB, 1047x540px) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ.jpg
59KB, 1047x540px
>2018
>FFXV is still downgraded and a shitty game
>>
>>388240084
Final Fantasy is a series with such a huge reputation that "decent" is simply not good enough.
>>
>>388244879
For some reason even the PC version doesn't look as good as the 2014 builts. It's just a slightly better looking console version with nvidia gameworks grass to cover all the shitty original sprites and textures and fur that will probably only be used on a few enemies
>>
>>388244767
Kind reminder
https://youtu.be/21Xn6DOiQpg
>>
File: FFXV-TabataGameDesign.png (122KB, 444x221px) Image search: [Google]
FFXV-TabataGameDesign.png
122KB, 444x221px
>>388245613
Reminder they made it bad on purpose.
>>
I'm playing it right now and its fucking me up how badly the story is being told

Not only is the movie crucial to understand how you're supposed to feel about what's going on because the game refuses to take 5 second to present anything

But on top of that I just finished the chapter where you go fight Titan HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK does the characters actions makes 0 sense

You've got Ardyn making it clear he's an imperial, with high priviledge too , leading you to a base full of imperials NOBODY REACTS.
Imperials come help you mid fight NO QUESTIONS ASKED
Then your car gets stolen for no reason since Ardyn decided not to capture you, you go to get it back , blow up an entire base to get it back ,only for Ardyn to show up again and let you take it back for free , even making it clear Ravus was ordered not to kill you

Making the entire ordeal absolutely pointless, fucking hell even the way the characters pinpoint the location of the car or understanding what Luna did with Titan isn't logical at all , they just know because the plot needs to move
>>
>>388245732
what is so bad about this.
>>
>>388246210
>Go to Imperial Base to capture a high ranking official
>He gets away
>This is never brought up again in the story
God this game is so fucking bad.
>>
>>388246210
I found the whole "go find the weapons" subplot even better. They tell you as if it was one of your main objectives, then they force you into getting a few for story reasons but nobody gives a shit about the other weapons. It's probably because it's an open world game but I don't understand why they try to make it sound like it's really urgent to get some of them but nobody ever talks about the others.
>>
File: final boss fight.webm (993KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
final boss fight.webm
993KB, 1280x720px
>>388245613
This still makes me sad. I thought the game was already shit tier when they put out these videos, but it was still leagues better than what we got. I remember arguing with XV-kun before he was even known by that name.

>point out the decrease in particles, the worse animations, worse graphics, etc
>he screams at me telling me he hates me

>>388246327
When you play the game you'll notice you'll get hit without the enemy really even doing anything. There's no indication an enemy is going to attack, and a lot of the time there isn't even an animation tied to the attack. Hitboxes don't even need to collide either, you'll just get hit randomly.
>>
>>388246210
Wait until you get to the scene when Luna being surrounded by soldiers just casually moves the guns pointed at her away and walks away with the ring in her hands despite searching for it and killing her being Nifs' high priority and the emperor's direct order.

Actually scratch that, just drop this husk of a game and don't bother
>>
>>388243759
>Switching armigers and creating combos with others.
>read: I have never played a decent action game in my life
>>
>>388246609
They're all pretty shitty too
>>
>>388246327
When a player takes damage from an enemy because they were unable to see that they were going to attack that's bad game design because the player is being punished at no fault of their own. All enemy moves should be telegraphed either through visual or audio cues so the player can accordingly plan ahead and properly react.

You sound like someone who defends Bed of Chaos.
>>
File: skill based.webm (1MB, 1054x583px) Image search: [Google]
skill based.webm
1MB, 1054x583px
>>388246643
>>388246327
>>388245732
And on the other side of the coin, attacks that should hit you sometimes won't.

It's just buggy, Tabata was covering his tracks saying he intended for the game to play like this. They clearly put no money into the combat.
>>
>>388240084
I didn't enjoy traveling the world which is the biggest flaw an open world game could have. Everything took fucking ages to do even though the world isn't even that big.
I was optimistic about the combat early on, thinking it would evolve into something deeper the more I played, but it didn't.
Didn't like any of the characters aside from Ignis, Ardyn and Noctis.
Banter between the band was at best pretty good but it started to repeat really quickly.
Side quests made me fall asleep.
Artstyle was ugly.
>>
File: XVcutspear.webm (3MB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
XVcutspear.webm
3MB, 680x382px
>>388246643
>I remember arguing with XV-kun

I used to, but now I don't even bother replying, because it's clear that his life depends on defending this game even if it means plainly shitposting or lying to your face.

>that one thread when he tried to prove to me that the second spear attack on the webmrelated wasn't cut from the game and is the same as the initial one
>>
>>388247058
What the fuck, is this easily replicable for this particular enemy?
>>
>>388247058

Interesting cut-off point.
>>
>>388247248
Yeah I just come to laugh at him getting banned dozens of times a week.

>>388247345
Stuff like that happens often for any enemy. It's literally random.
>>
>>388246327
It's a game with realtime combat.
If it was some sort of cabella hunting sim it would be fine but in any kind of action game or arpg you want consistency otherwise there's no need for tactics or thinking ahead or learning patterns when the AI just breaks them.
Stuff like that just leads to abusing 3-4 really strong things which in XVs case is the warp strike, magic, certain party skills like regroup, armiger and the greatsword and daggers since on is too fast for most enemies and the other one basicly let's you spin infinitely in groups of enemies.
It's not a bad design decision, but shouldn't be in a game like that-
>>
File: no tell.webm (517KB, 872x591px) Image search: [Google]
no tell.webm
517KB, 872x591px
And try dodging this. I like fast paced action games but this is stupid.
>>
>>388247158
Honestly get rid of 90% of the sidequests and i'm sure the open world wouldn't feel this shitty

You could have comfy little car rides from places to places where you'd stop for a Hunt of two have a proper sidequest taking you around the block .Then off you go again
>>
Example of what should be an enemy tell doing damage to you.
>>
>>388247783
God just watching these makes me angry.
Especially applies to the retarded timed quests, is there a single person who finds them even remotely fun?

>that one with dozens of cactuars spamming 1000 needles endlessly
>>
>>388247682

The game still needs stuff to do on the open world or it is just an empty open world. The problem with Final Fantasy as a series is they never allow the player to find things on their own. Aside from a random house in FFIV or a few summons in FFVIII, open worlds are usually just filled with set events you are guided to. The developers seem to think that players are either too stupid or too afraid to explore.

Red Dead Redemption handled this much better. And even that game had large areas of riding with nothing going on. But you found a good 60-70% of the games story through exploration. In FFXV, its the same 'follow the blinking marker to see the next cutscene'. It just has a ton of empty space in between. Might as well have just kept linear corridors like FFX and XIII.
>>
>>388247248
I don't think i ever even used a spear in the final game except maybe once or twice.
In Duscae weapons still had passive abilities so even weapon with weaker stats could be really good because they had HP or MP drain or could paralyze enemies. But in the final game you just pick whatever has the biggest numbers and if you want to be really overpowered you slap that enchant weapon stuff on them
>>
Remember though, this game has ""good combat"" as long as you do tick damage while teleporting constantly. Because that's the best way to not get hit!
>>
>>388248173
Hey I liked FFXIIs "open world"
Exploring new locations and finding new enemies, better equipment, spells and optional areas was always fun
>>
>>388248173
Red Dead Redemption is also fully committed to being an open world game, JRPGs are almost always linear because their main focus is on character and story. The World of Ruin from VI is the closest thing I can think of that a mainline Final Fantasy has come close to being 'open world', it really just has no place in the genre to build an entire game around it like XV only to completely fail on the story part when you make it go linear.
>>
>>388240084
>The combat isn't *THAT* bad (look at FFVII by comparison).
?
>>
>>388241914
You can buy the multiplayer separately
>>
>>388240084
Yes, it is.

>The combat isn't *THAT* bad
No, but it's still way worse than KH

Quests are bad by definition

>It's the only open world game I've liked since New Vegas.
FFXV's open world is very lame compared to XCX and Zelda BoTW
>>
>>388247158
>I was optimistic about the combat early on, thinking it would evolve into something deeper the more I played, but it didn't.
100% this
>>
>>388241987
>Because the game is now getting ported to PC. Before that it was 10/10.

Yeah sure except all those times /v/ said it's fucking shit in near consonance.
>>
>>388247783
>>388247567
The biggest problem aside from enemies jsut randomly being stunned or not is you can barely tell the different between actual attack animations from enemies or just random movement animations or idle animations except for some reallly obvious once like every attack from the iron giant which is still one of the best enemies in the game or one of the only good ones and the goblins with their 5 seconds arm swing move.
Especially when you have one huge enemy or multiple small ones its just chaos since they have no cooldown or can attack non stop at the same time or after another and good luck telling apart a run animation from most enemies compared to some charge move.
Every enemy just needs 3-4 simple tells like te iron giant, that's all it takes.
>>
>>388248046
I tried them early on but since then i never even touched anything except for the DLCs. I just don't get why they'd expect me to go back too it everyfew weeks or months for a new timed hunt monster or an event. I finished the story, i got platinum, i cought basicly every fish, got every weapon, finsihed every dungeon.
Why would i even want to do a hunt at that point.
>>
>>388249253
>muh afrowhack sword
>>
File: maxresdefault-51.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-51.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>388248924
>FFXV's open world is very lame compared to XCX and Zelda BoTW
FFXV isn't trying to be like those games though, exploration is the core facet of both XCX and BotW so it makes sense that those will be superior to them. Where XV outshines those two games is superior narrative telling.
>>
>>388241914
You get the multiplayer and some paid holiday pack, and some other thing I think.

The extra updates have all been free so far
>>
>>388249253
Yeah, I actually felt some satisfaction having cleared all the hunts, sidequests, bonus dungeons, and getting all my characters to level 99, then they throw some bullshit MMO-esque level cap increase and timed events and it just felt like it ruined my complete save file.
>>
>>388249403
>is superior narrative telling.
In a barely cobbled up story, got it.
>>
>>388240084
The biggest thing that I think damned the game from the start was Noruma's commitment to open world, and Tabby cat actually fucking listening to the madman. A more contained, controlled FFXV would have been more able to include more settings and more jumping around in the story, which would have resulted in a way more expansive story that actually used its playtime for actual main quest and good side quests, not just filler bullshit.
>>
>>388249589
If you didn't start crying when you realized that the entire time Noctis wasn't sent out on a journey to marry Luna but rather it was to travel the world he was destined to save by sacrificing himself one last time with his best friends then you don't have a heart.

XV elevates narratives in video games to a new level with its ending sequence.
>>
File: AAAAAAAAA.gif (678KB, 398x200px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAA.gif
678KB, 398x200px
>>388245732
Literally *THE* prime reason of everything that's wrong with FFXV's combat in a single pic!
And they did literally spell it out loud!!
WTF is wrong with these people?!?
For the love of God someone please keep Tabata as far as possible from FFVII Remake!
>>
>>388249403
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/%20maxresdefault-51.jpg/
Then why even have such an "open" world to begin with. They could've gone with multiple open hubs that follow along your story path and still make it feel open, it would've probably been better since they could've gone for more variety.
And being superior in terms fo story to XCX really doesn't mean much. I enjoyed the game while it lasted at least parts of it, but you really need to play way more videogames or read some books if you think XV even comes close to being the "best story in the medium".
Some characters are good, but the story and pacing itself is really bad, learn the difference. And no one good scene, the one in your image doesn't fix that especially when the throne scene takes away all the impact from it.
>>
>>388249646
Nomura wasn't commited to that though. He always mentioned tge game would have big areas that are connected between each other with loading screen (like ffxii)

Tabata though wanted to push the idea of a seamless world to be relevant in the west and basically forced the devs to work on that despite them not having the know-how. Explains why the main programmer at Square who used to work on XV left the company when Tbt got assigned as a director
>>
>>388249403
>XV outshines
lol
>>
>>388249969
>especially when the throne scene takes away all the impact from it.
How does that subtract from the experience at all?
>>
>>388249827
t. xv-kun
>>
File: lame.png (361KB, 626x417px) Image search: [Google]
lame.png
361KB, 626x417px
>>388249403
>Where XV outshines those two games is superior narrative telling.
Is this supposed to be a joke about how bad XCX and BotW's storytelling is?
>>
>>388250408
Nah it's just another guy that always posts those two images and goes on about "kino" and how it's the best story ever created.
>>
File: 1475633764978.jpg (50KB, 461x407px) Image search: [Google]
1475633764978.jpg
50KB, 461x407px
dude 10 years no questions asked same clothes
>>
File: big_1485982751_image.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
big_1485982751_image.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>388250494
It's just an observation about how good XV's storytelling is.
>>
>>388250098
If there was a better way to do it it might have been making the rough frame work of an "open world", but mainly along the highways, with the car serving as the "loading screen". So you and your bros plan out camping sites along your journey, stop at some highlights along the way, while having important/character building dialogues between areas, with everything that isn't explicitly on the road or at one of said stops explicitly designed only to be seen and not touched.
>>
>>388248641

Dragon Quest has been doing open world from the start. It was open world before open world was a meme. And exploration comes before story.

Final Fantasy is a series where cinematics and story come before everything else. Which isn';t conducive to an open world. It should just go back to linear corridors OR change its formula to have less emphasis on set events/story. Trying to do something in between just doesn't work.
>>
>>388247567
I think this one in particular falls well within a reactable time frame. People dodge shit like this in fighting games and action games all the time.
>>
>>388249827
So he's Harry Potter.
>>
>>388251393
I'm not saying it's impossible to dodge that but 1. It came out of nowhere and 2. the monsters model doesn't even touch Noctis before he's hit.

I'd like for you to show me an action game with untelegraphed attacks though, it's not common.
>>
File: bed-of-chaos-large.jpg (132KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
bed-of-chaos-large.jpg
132KB, 600x338px
>>388251646
>I'd like for you to show me an action game with untelegraphed attacks though
Even worse is that it's a one hit kill.
>>
>>388251646
It shifts its weight slightly before lunging. There's a lot of stuff in monhun that is way more bullshit than that and it's a lauded action game.
>>
>>388251904
>Souls game
>action game
And that's pretty cherry picked as well.

>>388251912
I seriously don't consider either of these action games so let's agree to disagree.
>>
>>388251904
FUCK that boss
>>
>>388251904
>first time playing ds
>decide to make a mage by chance
>invest nothing in health and endurance
>1 hit die even when not falling tru hole
>have shit dodge skill cuz playing as mage never have to
>bonfire 10 miles away
t-thanks...
>>
>>388248674
VII's combat is terrible, Materia has the same issue as XII vanilla's license board.
>>
>>388252067
I think you're talking about character action games. I think there are attacks in God Hand that have about as many frames of wind up as that thing. Blades in dmc1 have attacks that are poorly telegraphed and have very few frames of reaction, I think plasmas have similar attacks as well.
>>
>>388252285
You can't really call materia terrible, it's a well designed system. You just prefer hard roles for characters and dislike total freedom. I feel the same way personally, but that doesn't make the materia system bad.
>>
>>388251904
Yeah BoC is prett shitty, bu then the rest of the game has bosses and enemies with some of the longest windups ever so even a snail can react to it,
I wish they'd balance the speed of enemies and your character a bit better in Souls Bloodborne and DS3 did it a ot better.
>>
>>388252490
Well Materia would be fine if it actually had challenging combat like XII did at times.

Sometimes in XII I actually had to micromanage whereas in VII there is absolutely zero strategy.
>>
>>388252620
The ps1 FFs in general are piss easy. As much as the more recent games get shit on at least you can die in FF12 and ff13.

I'm replaying FF5 and that game isn't afraid to murder you.
>>
>>388252780
XV was afraid to make death a possibility since they give you a buffer zone where you can pop of the 300 hundred potions you have. That was an absolutely awful decision.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljtEg1VOVag

Ocasional reminder that FFXV was supposed to be a masterpiece but Luminous and Tabata destroyed everything.
>>
>>388250258
Because it's unearned, capping off a romance that wasn't actually of any substance. They should have ended it with the campfire scene being the last major scene, then that montage that ends with the empty campsite at dawn. Or maybe add a scene showing the bros. Noctis and his relationship with the bros is like the only aspect of the narrative and characterization that was fleshed out for the player, so it should be what ends the story, since it's makes sense as payoff.
>>
>>388253146
Yep, I think hard mode for FF15 will actually end up being really fun. Especially if they turn that shit off.
>>
>>388253426
Y-yamero
>tfw was the most anticipated game for me
>e3 2013 trailers looked like a second coming of vidya Christ for me

Why did it have to end like this, /v/
>>
>>388252780
FFIV on DS is the hardest I think.
>>388253146
>>388253575
Yes, though I think XV measures you more by how skillfully you get through combat. Like actually timing dodges and stuff.
>>
>>388240237
Seems to me like you just have ADHD and need something happening every five fucking seconds
>>
>>388253575
I think at this point it would be better and faster to just wait for a mod to rebalance it and only enable 2-3 items per fight and instadeath when you reach 0 HP.
Devs for some reason can't into balance, they'd just bloat all numbers and be done with it.
>>
>>388253707
I prefer XIII's rating system, should they insist on having one, where it measures your efficiency relative to your levels and equipment. Getting an A+ in offense but getting a D- in defense in XV tells me nothing other than I just slaughtered the enemies without defending which is something I could've inferred without arbitrary rankings. XIII told you how do you did relative to what you went into battle with and what you were against.
>>
>>388253972
I don't know if I agree with that. The game is clearly built around access to healing with some of the attacks being unavoidable.

>>388253707
I still need to play FFIV on the DS, it's on my list though.

>>388254192
I really enjoyed pretty much everything about the combat system in 13.
>>
>>388253426
Damn they scales down Altissia pretty badly.
The buildings and the waterway leading to it used to be huge, you can even see two big boats there on separate lanes.
In the final game Cid's boat barely fits
>>
>>388254192
The ranking in XV just feels like another thing they added just for the sake of it.
Killing enemies fast and without taking damage should be good in an ARPG like XV, but you just get a mediocre rating if you do that. Dragging out battles on purose dodging too much, attacking way too much and warp striking in and out for minutes gets you the best rank in every category which makes no sense
>>
>>388240084
I had plenty of fun. I liked the combat, I liked the dungeons, some of the bosses were very interesting and the final boss was awesome. The choccobo fair was fun and happy, those car tunes how you can buy every games soundtrack is fun. The game was a nice experience.

It definitely has flaws though, it can all be far better and that's why I can't wait for their next installment. Surely they will learn a lot from this game.
>>
>>388254347
Imo then they shouldn't have built the game like that.
I don't want to compare it to KH too much, but it perfectly converted the turn based/ATB menu system into realtime, you still have access too attack, item, magic, summon, switching party members etc all from a menu while being realtime and even healing both items and cure is balanced well.
I don't get why XV has so many problems with it, on one hand they do weird stuff where atttacks are random or unblockable on purpose or send you to the 0 HP Danger state right away like the couerls, but on the other hand you basicly have infinite time to use an item with no cooldown or limitations whatsoever
>>
>>388255018
Tabata ruined what Nomura was doing which was KH but improved.
>>
>>388254505
>Dragging out battles on purose dodging too much, attacking way too much and warp striking in and out for minutes gets you the best rank in every category which makes no sense
Yup agree with all this, like I said in XIII if you went up against the lowest of levels that you could find in the area and wiped them in 15 seconds you still might get a 3 star ranking because your current build relative to the enemy strength means that you could be clearing them in saying 7 seconds, so that gives the player direct feedback that they should slightly tune their approach to those enemies. It's still not perfect since I don't think it gave you a specific break down but you knew that if you weren't getting 5 stars you could be doing better.

>>388254347
Biggest issue was that the combat system was clearly meant for three characters but you don't get that until chapter 9 I think but the post game content in XIII was a blast since most encounters made very good use of the combat system.
>>
>>388255210
Everything from when you get 3 characters in 13 was fun as hell to me. I like that the game is tuned to try to kill you. I would bet money more people died in 13 than any other non mmo FF.
>>
>>388255018
Yeah probably not. The magic system in particular was poorly done. I love the impact magic has on the world, but the way it works is pretty bad.
>>
>>388253426

God, it still hurts to see it after all these years. I love how the trailer is more emotionally captivating than the game itself.
>>
>>388253953
Seems to me you'd be wrong.
>>
>>388255373
Buffs and debuffs made a huge difference in that game, people probably weren't used to them actually being useful because typically in past games they weren't worth the effort for random encounters and most bosses were arbitrarily immune to debuffs.
>>
File: cedec.jpg (420KB, 1198x1734px) Image search: [Google]
cedec.jpg
420KB, 1198x1734px
even these places from fucking 2016 were cut, i can't help but wonder what happened
>>
>>388256134
I remember that huge optional enemy on the steppe near the end that you could kinda cheese with death and tons of debuffs or something iirc
>>
>>388256273
The bottom images and the one that looks like seafront from Nier are so weird, there's nothing like that even remotly in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9nrV1Oi6Ak
It almost looks like those early FF14 tech demos
>>
>>388256673

Looks better than the actual shit we got in XIV. And it's from 2005, Christ.
>>
>>388249827
I'll admit, that scene was really well done, but it was a drop in the pool of nonsensical plotline crap, bad pacing, disappointing combat and "OH HI THERE OPENING"
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.