[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So ugh.. what did he want Alyx for anyway? and why wasn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 36

File: g-man-inquisitive.jpg (85KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
g-man-inquisitive.jpg
85KB, 1680x1050px
So ugh.. what did he want Alyx for anyway?
and why wasn't he interested in Gordon anymore?
>>
>>388205874
The Vorts were riding Gordon's dick too much and their meddling could've interfered with G-Man's meddling.
>>
>>388206552
sounds dumb but ok.
What's so important about Alyx though?
What could she have contributed to the G-man's.. Actually what even are his motivations? what the fuck does he even want.
>>
File: it is a mystery.gif (4KB, 650x220px) Image search: [Google]
it is a mystery.gif
4KB, 650x220px
>>388206750
>>
who knows? maybe gordon wasn´t that interesting for him after the borealis stuff. Maybe he only wanted gordon to do that work
>>
>>388205874
He wants to destroy the portal/time machine device in borealis so the combine don't adquire it

vortigaunts want to use it so maybe vorts + humanity have a small chance (but still a chance) to win against a HUGE ASS type 2 civilization empire that combine are.

Combine gets interested in earth because the portal technology operture science accidentally discovered. but if there is no portal/time machine device in the earth then there is no interest in our planet, so maybe humanity has a chance to survive.
>>
>>388206915
>>388205874

SO, after vorts getting in the middle of you and GMAN so many times he just says a big "fuck you" letting you stay in the quantum borealis missile while you approach to your end , and discovering by yourself that there was no fucking chance against the combine in the first place
>>
he used gordan/alyx/resistence to destroy the borealis indirectly.
>>
>>388206915
>>388207069
that clears things up a little. doesn't explain why he would be interested in Alyx but I supposed that would always be just a >>388206893
>>
>>388207408
hte game lead to HL3 after vorts save Gordon

so we'll know in HL3... so yeah, never

also copy paste from the main thread

Actually I find it amazing.
Think about it, G-man's plan is to give hope to humans. Humans he fucked up by manipulating the test in Black Mesa. He finally leads the resistance to the Borealis. The beacon of hope, the key.

And once you complete your objective, you are left wondering "Now what? How is this going to help us against the combine?"... not only you are left with that question, but with the answer no one wanted to hear: The combine are unstoppable.

We are nothing more than harmless horse riders against a nuclear army. Ants against a gardener.

So... the Borealis... G-man just wanted it destroyed, to avoid the combine to capture it. Someone, in some dimention, managed to discover time travel, and that was their secret. They couldn't let anyone have it.

He doomed earth, humans, the whole dimension, just to stop an inferior race from having their technology. They turned freemen into slaves, just because they were playing with their toys.
>>
>>388205874
>what did he want Alyx for anyway?
She killed Judith, and that must have impressed G-man. Convinced him that she was more worthwhile than Gordon, that she'd be more willing to do what's needed to be done

>and why wasn't he interested in Gordon anymore?
Same reason. G-man essentially fires Gordon, and replaces him with Alex. Gordon no longer interests him.

I wish it would have happened in a game though. It's a horrible but brave ending to a massive franchise. You find out that you were just a pawn all along, that you were just being used until you proved no longer useful or compliant.

It would have been such an incredibly bitter ending. Valve are morons for not pouncing on the idea when they had the chance.
>>
File: nanoko.gif (988KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
nanoko.gif
988KB, 500x270px
>>388207521
>>388207541
I.. this all feels very believable to me. Honestly I hated what I read at first, I dismissed it as a "muh big reddit space mystery, you wouldn't understand" sort of thing. but after you guys shed some light on it, it really does feel like the proper way to end it. it's bitter and conclusive, but leaves just enough for speculation.
nothing will fill the void of being unable to play these events in an actual game however.
>>
>>388207541
>She killed Judith, and that must have impressed G-man. Convinced him that she was more worthwhile than Gordon, that she'd be more willing to do what's needed to be done
I think this is at least part of it. When you look at the story, Gordon is extremely passive. At every junction he just goes along with whatever he's told while Alyx decides her own path. You can see much of the same in the actual games. While this can be blamed on the typical game structure where the player is given a task to complete and the challenge isn't in figuring out what to do but simply in completing the task, it would be easy to work this into the narrative. Meanwhile Alyx takes her fate into her own hands and does what she believes is right, despite what others say and despite the fact she knows it'll almost certainly kill her.

Freeman has been a useful puppet for G-Man, but it's quite possible that he no longer needs a puppet and requires someone more capable of acting independently. Add in the possible Vortigaunt interference and it makes for a good case to drop Freeman.
>>
File: 1304888487409.jpg (5KB, 202x220px) Image search: [Google]
1304888487409.jpg
5KB, 202x220px
THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN SUCH A BRILLIANT GAME AND MET/SUCCEEDED ALL EXPECTATIONS

WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE IT, WHYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>388207541
>that she'd be more willing to do what's needed to be done
Lel that made 0 sens. She did it by emotion because of "muh father" and because of it they destroyed the last hope of humanity.
The GMAN chose her only cauz she was a sheep, like Gordon used to be.
>>
>>388208132
It would have been an amazing ending when you really think about it. They spent 2 games and 2 episodes building you (Gordon) up as an unstoppable force. It was just a forgone conclusion that you'd save the day, save the resistance, save the world.

But then to truly show that you were just a tool. You were just a means to an end. You were entirely disposable the whole time. Everything you did was just a ploy, and in the end, we really never had a chance.

That's fucking ballsy. In that context it makes sense that you'd never fully know who or what G-man was. You'd have an idea, but you were never truly worthy enough to learn the full truth.
>>
File: 1479607680410.jpg (42KB, 660x398px) Image search: [Google]
1479607680410.jpg
42KB, 660x398px
>>388205874
The worst part about all this is now we just know the set up for Half-life 3 but we'll most likely never know how Gordan and Alyx were going to actually save the day. I guess its good to get some closure and to truly know that the dream is over but still
>>
>>388208551
Valve stopped making games that aren't multiplayer PvP games which they can fill to the brim with microtransactions.

A story-rich single-player shooting game simply isn't going to make them enough jew gold compared to stuff like TF2, CSGO, DOTA2, or Artifact which all have hordes of idiots throwing money at them in an unending stream.
>>
>>388208834
Gordon is still a sheep though, so that doesn't make sense. All he does is what other people tell him to do.
>>
File: 200% sad.png (217KB, 484x488px) Image search: [Google]
200% sad.png
217KB, 484x488px
>>388208959
This is truly, the worst timeline.
>>
>>388209054
The aliens are his friends now.
But Alyx is a true whore for following the G man AND destroying the boat.
Fuck i want to now what will happen in Half life 3 now.
>>
File: 13585738683.jpg (7KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
13585738683.jpg
7KB, 236x236px
>>388207541
>tfw even if they make the game now you'll never experience this twist
>>
>>388208863
I'm beginning to understand why Valve never bothered to release HL3
Then again, I don't completely understand the motive of the time-travel race.
Instead of letting humanity obtain a way to time-travel and then working together to become an even bigger threat to the combine, they act like babies and deny humanity's resistance's only chance of survival.
Sounds a bit weird to me.
I mean, Humanity may be a little unstable, but I think we'd have proven ourselves after surviving this long.
Or maybe the combine didn't view us as a big enough of a threat to actively purge humanity.
There are still too many unanswered questions in my opinion.
>>
>>388205874
he likes people who make things go boom.

at the time Alyx was the superior boom maker

g-man is secretly an autistic god who likes pretty lights and screeches with glee when he sees them
>>
>>388208927
>tfw now even more hyped for a game that will never exist
Fuck you Valve, just make a novelization of HL3. I just want to know what happens goddammit
>>
File: 1480418854266.png (235KB, 435x423px) Image search: [Google]
1480418854266.png
235KB, 435x423px
>>388208551
Because games are about fucking gameplay??? Not about completing some entry level sci fi narrative?
>>
>taking an EX WRITER'S fanfiction as a definitive end to anything

you realize valve still own the property right? and that they could literally hire a writer today to write episode 3?
>>
>>388209350
>time-travel race.

wait. Time travel race? Forgive me, it's been like a fucking decade since I read any half life lore.
>>
>>388209350
G-man doesn't care about humans. He was never helping us.

Earth was a ploy in a proxy war. G-man only helped us at all because it fucked with the combine, it distracted them, it led G-man to the Borealis.

There was no incentive for G-man to help humanity more than he needed to. He never needed us enough that we were valuable to keep around indefinitely. We were always going to get shafted in the end.

It's not that G-man or his race looks down on us as savage or unstable, it's that they truly do not care about us. We're just one chess move in a gigantic intergalactic war.
>>
>>388209771
It could happen yeah but it wouldn't have been the game that they had planned all those years ago
>>
>>388209771
Yea but it has to involve Borealis, so this fanfic interferes with everything
>>
>>388209771
>implying the creator's word is not good
>implying MK's 5th era works are not canon despite the official books and Skyrim taking from them

the writer's work is and always will be god
>>
>>388209771
he wrote all the half life entries prior to this one.
Even if he doesn't own the rights to it, this will always be "his" story and the way it was inteded to end.
Sure valve can make a new half life 3. but it would be literally just fanfiction
>>
>>388209848
Why did he need Alyx then
>>
>>388206750
>What's so important about Alyx though?
Her father dying pretty much made her hate filled
G-Man probably saw a hound dog he could just unleash on whoever if he claimed they had a hand in Eli's death.
>>
>>388210002
new hotness for a new goal. gordon served his purpose and more importantly has given up even trying
>>
>>388210002
She's just another chess piece, like Gordon was.

That's it. She's nothing special
>>
I can't believe it's over
>>
File: retard.png (83KB, 211x244px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
83KB, 211x244px
>>388205874
>>388207541
Stop trying to make sense of it

GMan has no identity or motivation, they just never gave him one.

The Vortigants barely have any beyond "stop the combine" - but their lore goes to shit because lol combine is unstoppable Gordon Freeman gives up

All you people saying GMan had goals with the borealis are fucking retarded. He's a magic space god with no actual motivations there for deus ex machina purposes and nothing you did in any of the games meant anything at all.

>>388207541
>it's a brave ending
There's nothing brave about invalidating your entire story. Quite the opposite, it's a huge cop-out.
>>
>>388210080
>>388210108
why did the gman achieve anyway??
>>
>>388210226
preventing the combine from ever having borealis tech. did you read the story?
>>
>>388210226
Nothing, because there's nothing to achieve.

That's the problem with an ending that's basically "the bad guys were actually impossibly unthinkably strong the whole time and you're doomed, they just didn't bring that power to bear because ???????"
>>
>>388210226
he destroyed the borealis, which the combine could have used for space time travel turning the tides of some intergalactic war we will likely never witness
>>
>>388209848
I still don't understand why they don't care about us.
Any support against the combine would help, no matter how miniscule that support may be.
What retarded resistance refuses support from a race that has shown that it's capable of resisting the combine?
>>
>>388210159
>deus ex machina purposes
stop using phrases you don't know the meaning of
>>
>>388206915
arent the combine type 3? my impression was they spanned multiple universes, not just the milky way
>>
Sounds to me like a shitty "haha bad end XD" shock ending with no definitive answers and time wankery to shroud it all. I'm glad you're dead, Gordie.
>>
>>388205874
Strong Black Woman Who Don't Need No Man - the story

this shit is feminist drivel, not goo". Glad laidlaw got fired but the entire staff of Valve is probably like that. Alyx was one of the most annoying things about the hl2 and the fact they imply she's the new "protagonist" is disgusting. Absolutely fucking disgusting.

I'm glad hl3 is dead. Who the fuck would want to play as alyx in hl3? People would rather play as Adrian Shephard, or fucking Barney. I knew the moment they introduced alyx the franchise would be done. Well, at least we'll never get to see this feminist shit adapted. Or will we?
>>
>>388210362
but they're not capable. the advisors aren't anywhere near the top of the ladder and they shit on us, theyre the equivalent of supervisor's on highway construction and even then they gave humans so much shit
>>
>>388210464
You clearly didn't read the story, you fucking moron.
>>
>>388210159
It doesn't invalidate anything though. It's been part of the story since HL2 came out, bit only ever hinted at.

You're told a few times in HL2 and the episodes that you're just a pawn, that you're being used (by G-man). That much has always been known.

What's brave is bucking player expectations and genre norms. Even though you're told over and over that things won't end well, you as a player never believe it.

You win the day, you save the world, you prove the negative prophecy wrong. In the end though, it ends exactly as you've been warned about. The war really was as fruitless as they told you about.

It's not a random twist, it's not cheap, it's been there all along.
>>
File: 1387561260535.jpg (352KB, 1053x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1387561260535.jpg
352KB, 1053x1070px
>>388210382
Jesus christ, you fucking faggot, if there was ever a clear-cut example of deus ex machina it's GMan and/or Vortigants plucking you from death
>>
>>388210108
Then he obviously needs humanity since his chess pieces are humans.
>>
>>388210567
>replying to bait
>>
File: thisisfine.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
thisisfine.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>388210501
>>388209848
This is bad fanfiction

Stop trying to make sense of a story that they were making up as they went along before throwing it in the trash
>>
File: IMG_3130.jpg (78KB, 463x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3130.jpg
78KB, 463x480px
I mean, Gordon committed xenocide on the Xen in the first game and he thinks that Alyx can do better? I mean, sure she killed Mossman and threw the Borealis literally into the lion's den, but Gordon literally traveled INTO Xen and killed every living motherfucker in that pocket dimension BY HAND.

Just saying, G-Man is hella dumb.
>>
>>388210061
>inb4 G-Man planned her father's death
>>
>>388210574
Its not DE machina if a well-established possibly omnipotent character stops time just to mock you some more.
>>
File: Cinematic-Mod-11-image-3839.jpg (845KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cinematic-Mod-11-image-3839.jpg
845KB, 1920x1200px
>"wow gordon this is the end, we are going to fulfill my father's wish, even though we destroy the last hope of humanity, and we will die together as virgins".
>*escape with gman at the last moment*

WHAT A BITCH
>>
I wonder if this is the exact storyboard he had in mind ten years ago when Episode 2 was still fresh or if this was a later "finalized" cut. I can only imagine things would be rewritten, like Breen-grub out of respect for his voice actor.
>>
>>388210574
>does not know what a deux ex machina is
again, stop using phrases you don't know the meaning of
>>
>>388210567
don't give /pol/ the time of day, man.
>>
>>388210567
>you clearly didn't read the story
>every fucking half life game is basically g-man helping you because you are useful to him
>g-man realizes alyx has more worth than gordon
>he leaves and decides to go with alyx
>hl3 is basically alyx is the new protagonist - deal with it shitlord

what's not to get? pure feminist drivel.
>>
>>388210569
>It doesn't invalidate anything though
Yes it does, it invalidates everything you ever did in any of the games. Nothing you did or saw mattered. Combine are unbeatable. Gordon gives up. THE END.

>What's brave is bucking player expectations and genre norms
Nigger the game never came out

>it's not a random twist, it's not cheap
It's both of those, because you seem to have completely fucking forgotten the Vortigant chosen one bullshit.
>>
>>388210724
it works because breengrub was originally going to be part of HL2 from the start
>>
>>388209350
It's a risk. Either humanity manages and may become the new threat or Combine get the tech and become an even greater threat. Eliminate the tech and it goes all away for now.
So it's a choice to reduce the risk. Agree with it or not, it's coherent.
>>
File: readabook.jpg (75KB, 566x480px) Image search: [Google]
readabook.jpg
75KB, 566x480px
>>388210705
>>388210778
when did 4chan become nothing but loud retards
>>
>>388210464
>Glad laidlaw got fired
Laidlaw resigned, you dumb fucking /pol/tard.

And this has nothing to do with feminism either. The entire point of G-Man taking Alyx and leaving you is to nail home that you're both tools in something far greater. Gordon outlived his usefulness in G-Man's eyes, so he took Alyx as his new pawn.
>>
>>388210813
is it feminism when a girl does anything you like? gordon is too woke now to work for the g-man and he knows it
>>
>>388210668
It's not, you just don't like it.
>>
File: timetostop.jpg (11KB, 229x183px) Image search: [Google]
timetostop.jpg
11KB, 229x183px
>>388208863
You're so far up your own ass you're smelling breakfast
>>
>>388210913
when you started posting
>>
So since that was the end of Gordon's adventure, who do you think Valve would create as protagonist for Half Life 3?
>>
>>388210813
>woman does something
>fucking feminism

lel kill yourself larping faggot
>>
>>388205874
Someone needs to make one of those friendship ended memes with G-Man, Gordon, and Alyx
>>
>>388211071
alyx. or a gordon and chell co-op adventure
>>
>>388210712
>G-Man means Gfunk-man
>he was nigger all alone
>alex is cole burner

Where were you when Half Life 3 blacked edition?
>>
File: 1487435127899.png (134KB, 372x334px) Image search: [Google]
1487435127899.png
134KB, 372x334px
Why are people saying that it would have been the end of Gordan? The game literally ends with him being saved and you can bet your ass that he would have appeared again
>>
>>388210501
You don't put infantrymen against tanks.
You put tanks against tanks.
You let the infantrymen fight other infantrymen.
I'm pretty sure that we'd be able to go against the advisors with time-travel.
Why not let our race fight against the advisors, so that the resistance might place their resources somewhere else?
Why actively resist the possibility that they gain support?
>>
>>388211071
Alyx is the MC of HL3.
Gordon just woke up in the future just in time to meet Chell. So Portal 3 will have Gordon Freeman as MC as well as Chell in coop.
>>
>>388210848
Yeah, but I'd expect it to be cut since Breen's VA ended up passing away. It might be seen as disrespectful to bring his character back as a scared maggot wishing for death.
>>
>>388210926
Its hardly a point that makes sense seeing that Freeman didn't really accomplish anything major in HL2 compared to HL1. And why wouldn't he just put his contract 'on hold' just like in HL1 ending? Why would he throw away the goddamn destroyer of worlds for a woman with zombine jokes?
>>
>>388211071
Bring back Sheppard
>>
>>388211071
G-man, the game is a walking simulator that has you play as him the whole time since Half Life 1 and reveals who he is
>>
I've had a thought about the Dyson Sphere ending.

What if it's just a potential future for the Combine that Gordon sees? Where they manage to acquire the Borealis? I see no reason for the vorts to interfere with the suicide mission unless they know a way for Gordon to do something about the situation.
>>
>>388211324
>VR game where you walk as G-Man around
>>
File: theclassicsnevergooutofstyle.jpg (90KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
theclassicsnevergooutofstyle.jpg
90KB, 1440x1080px
>people actually trying to make sense of the nebulous "backstory"
>people trying to say GMan and the Vortigants and some implied third party all have clear motivations and the story makes perfect sense
Christ, I know you people really wanted answers, but you're in deep fucking denial.
>>
>>388211242
too late now, gman broke the borealis. wonder if he wants alyx to take the fight to the combine eventually
>>
>>388211242
If the primitive humans were to be compromised, the tech they were willing to kill humanity to protect would be at risk. Suffice to say they trust themselves to kill themselves if need be, but for obvious reasons, like Wallace Breen, they cannot trust the humanz.
>>
>>388210834
>Nothing you did or saw mattered. Combine are unbeatable. Gordon gives up. THE END.

It's kind of the point. Earth was never the most important factor in the war, it just so happened that we played the story through a human perspective.

Both other alien races were huge, more than anyone can fathom. The Earth was only ever involved as a proxy piece into the puzzle.

I will play devils advocate here and fully admit that if it had gone down this way, if the full game had came out and ended this way, it would have been incredibly controversial. I get it, you've been following Gordon all this time, and for you to be pissed on by G-man and left holding your dick in your hand.. It would be a real smack in the face to a lot of players.

But it totally works for me, and all I can do is state why. I don't mind a "bad ending" in either games or movies as long as it makes sense within the world, and it totally does.
>>
>>388211332
they're thankful to him from the first game and basically worship him. maybe they've always seen the futility as well and will try to live quietly on earth, with gordon
>>
>>388211229
>Expect no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final episode.
>>
File: 1493384322658.jpg (58KB, 554x592px) Image search: [Google]
1493384322658.jpg
58KB, 554x592px
>>388211265
>why
There is no why

Stop trying to make sense of the story

They made it up as they went, then stopped caring.
>>
File: DH6zGdtUQAAOq4-.jpg (62KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
DH6zGdtUQAAOq4-.jpg
62KB, 480x720px
>>388211075
>Hl3
>play as alyx
>black strogn woyman
>dont need no man
>single handedly blows up combine dyson sphere
>frees the combine slaves
>beats up xen aliens with bare fists because stronk
>punches gman in the face and kills him
>goes "MMMMM HMMMMM" and wags her finger
>Reunites with gordon to make happy ending
>she realizes that gordon is a white male
>kicks him in the balls and goes to find a black male to ensure repopulation of earf
>become KUEEEEEEEEEEEN
>>
>>388211229
>Enough time has passed that few remember me
>I expect you know better than i the appropriate course of action
>i leave you to it
>this is my final episode
>Gordon Freeman, Ph.D.
>>
>>388211494
>>388211532
That was the writer talking about how hes completely done with the series and how its dead
>>
b-but what happened to john freeman, guys?
>>
>>388211265
>Why would he throw away the goddamn destroyer of worlds for a woman with zombine jokes?
Because Gordon had become aware that G-Man did not have humanity's best interests in mind, and was going against G-Man's directives at times. Add to that the Vortigants interfering with G-Man and supporting Gordon, for whatever their reasons may have been.
>>
File: 334776.jpg (181KB, 1600x640px) Image search: [Google]
334776.jpg
181KB, 1600x640px
I'd still like to hear story behind this concept art
>>
>>388210464
anon, you need to take a break from the fucking internet. Your constant reading of outrage bait has warped your view of reality
>>
>>388211460
Here's the thing: you're acting like this "bad ending" was something that's been building all along and that the story is coherent.

It's not.

HL1 was self-contained but had lots of context missing - context that HL2 didn't bother providing. People were hoping for a shitload of answers in the final installment, context for things that happened in 1 and 2, but the story we've been given provides none.

There are more holes in the story than there is substance.

It's not brave to simply end your story before you have to tell people what's going on. It's not brave to stop short and go "and then Gordon saw it was all pointless and killed himself"

Imagine if halfway through the usual suspects the detective just goes "Welp, I'm never solving this case" and shoots himself in the face
>>
These creatures created a dyson sphere, bow before their might:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WqAmuSXEQ
>>
>>388211634

He sacrificed himself and was commemorated with a statue.

Did you not watch/read Free Man?
>>
d..di...did Gman cuck gordon?
>>
>>388211560
>Gordon Freeman, Ph.D.
>>
>>388211037
But anon's right, G-man's original appearance in the series was as a DEM.
>>
>>388211795
those aren't actual combine, though
>>
>>388211895
gordon too woke now so g-man needs a new lapdog
>>
>>388211460
If everything went according to plan we would of had HL2 Episode 3 and HL3 by now, so what we have now is an 'ending' in the same sense HL1 ends.
>>
>>388212013
I bet r/the_donald would think you're so funny. you should go back there. stop shitting up my thread.
>>
File: m.jpg (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
73KB, 1920x1080px
>>388212013
>>
>>388211742
You're parting from the premise that all writers have the entire story in their heads the moment they start putting the first word down. All books and stories are written on the go in some level. All that matters in the end if it's consistent and coherent in the context he presented to us. Stop being dense.
>>
>>388211742
>Imagine if halfway through the usual suspects the detective just goes "Welp, I'm never solving this case" and shoots himself in the face

Imagine if in SEVEN John Doe actually gets what he wants, commits all 7 murders, and becomes a martyr for his deluded cause. Oh wait, that's what happens.

I'm not just making a cheap shot either, just a point that you don't always have to win the day. Even after 3 games. I'm fine with that.

>Gordon saw it was all pointless and killed himself
But Gordon doesn't die. He's just left in an unknown time and place. Totally alive though.
>>
>>388211904
I mean he's right in that the final paragraph is at least subtextually about Laidlaw and Valve. He just wove it in to the story proper. As it is, the story would have ended on an open enough point where Gordon could come back. If this was really how Laidlaw intended for the game to go, the ending leaves more than enough pieces in play for Gordon or anyone else to return.
>>
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Vortigaunt#Quotes

Here are the most important ones in my opinion.

> "We are a tapestry woven of Vortessence. It is the same for you if only you would see it."
> "Could you but see the eyes inside your own, the minds in your mind, you would see how much we share."
> "Far distant eyes look out through yours."
> "For a brief time you joined with us. You are one. Between the worlds."
> "How many are there in you? Whose hopes and dreams do you encompass?"
> "Something secret steers us both. We shall not name it."

The vortigaunts experience the world the same way the players do. Multitudes of different people playing through the same continuum over and over, always arriving at the same end from the same beginning. The "minds in your mind" and "eyes inside your own" refer to the playerbase experiencing the world of Half-Life through the eyes of Gordon Freeman, some random fuck from 7G.
>>
>>388212132
>implying i use that shit site
>>
>>388212196
It would have ended on the Vorts pulling him out and fade to black like every half life game
>>
He wants to give her the G-Dick.
>>
>>388212013
*cringes paw*
>>
>>388205874
GMan is interdimensional alien spymaster trying to destroy the Borealis (time/space travel) because it would be bad for the 3rd party he works for.
Green wanted to return the Borealis to earth.
Gordon is fired as murder machine because he didn't do the murder on Green and blow up boat.
Alyx is hired as murder machine because she killed Green and puts boat back on course to self destruct.
>>
>>388212138
>You're parting from the premise that all writers have the entire story in their heads the moment they start putting the first word down
No shit, because that clearly wasn't the case here. What's wrong with you?

>All that matters in the end if it's consistent and coherent in the context he presented to us
But it's not. The Vortigant chosen one stuff just got dropped. GMan's motivations are never even tangentially covered. Nothing about the combine is known except SO POWERFUL. How can you possibly forget that the entire reason people were begging for HL3 was because there are SO SO SO SO SO many holes in what I can only begrudgingly refer to as a "plot"

>>388212187
>imagine if in SEVEN
Seven is a coherent story with coherent themes that builds to its ending expertly.

Half Life is an incoherent jumble of justifications for in-game events that only work because they have absolutely no context

I am literally offended that you would compare such a great movie to this pile of wank.
>>
>>388212196
It would be a cliffhanger so everything is possible but looks to me his idea was Gordon role to end there. He's thrown into the future and G-man was supporting Alyx. Alyx would be the obvious choice.
>>
This ending is like every Lovecraft-inspired creepypasta ever
>protagonist goes through nightmare levels of shit
>as he's about to die suddenly it's revealed that he's a speck amidst a gigantic cosmic horror
>additionalbitofhopelost.jpeg
>hero is stuck in hell
>>
>>388208551
The were waiting for a tech jump for the game to showcase but non transpired. If VR took off HL3 probably would have been the ultimate VR experience, but VR is a failure.

Valve should have focused more on advanced physics programming instead of gimmicks.
>>
>Gordan becomes disillusioned with G-Man. Now understands that he is some amoral threat
>The true stakes of the Combine are revealed

Why are people acting like this is closure? This is literally just the end of the second act.
>>
>>388212672
It's the end of Episode 3, not Half-Life 3.
>>
File: 1419190745461.gif (2MB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
1419190745461.gif
2MB, 300x290px
>>388208551
>>
Video games aren't art.
>>
>>388212615
>they were waiting for a tech jump
They weren't waiting for shit, all the actual game designers jumped ship when they realized the "work on whatever project you want" rules of the workplace meant no more games would ever get finished after Portal 2.
>>
>>388211932
in 1-3 paragraphs, explain your conclusion. give supporting evidence.
>>
File: pepe.png (82KB, 239x229px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
82KB, 239x229px
There's gotta be more, right guys?

Marc MUST'VE had a rough idea of where HL3 was going, RIGHT?
>>
>>388210684
He DID.

Is the phrase "Prepare for unforeseen consequences" not clear enough for you?
>>
>>388212921
Or I could just tell your retarded ass to go check wikipedia

Or you could google "gman deus ex machina"
>>
>>388212582
Stop getting angry about people discussing a game don't exist. We are all speculating. Nothing here should be taken as an objective fact. If you don't want to discuss, fine, there's another dozen of wonderful threads discussing god knows what.
>>
>>388205874
with alyx he can make 100 gordens. She has the eggs so she controls the power.
>>
>>388212614
He's not stuck in Hell, though. He's perfectly fine back on Earth, the Combine are gone because there's no reason for them to stick around anymore, and humanity has no doubt rebuilt in the time he's been gone. Worst case scenario is he's a fish out of temporal water.
>>
File: youngdorkyenids.png (738KB, 769x506px) Image search: [Google]
youngdorkyenids.png
738KB, 769x506px
>>388212978
I am discussing, you fat faggot.

Discussion != hugbox

If your shit is stupid I'm gonna call it stupid.
>>
this really is the end of an era, isn't it. no more good single player games, only cash shop multiplayer garbage. Between this and me realizing the ps vita and 3DS don't even have a single new mega man game made me finally realize this.
>>
>>388212948
Why bother thinking about what's next if you can't even get Episode 3 out?
>>
File: 1496007789950.jpg (36KB, 217x286px) Image search: [Google]
1496007789950.jpg
36KB, 217x286px
Jesus can you image where the story would have gone after ep3?

This ending ups the scale to such a huge level that I don't even understand where you could go from here in an FPS. Like it would have to have a full genre shift or something to actually take down the combine
>>
>>388212582
Well, at least we can agree that Seven is fantastic.

We're not going to agree, I'm not going to change you're MIMD, and you're not going to change mine.

I like it. It's ballsy and it does make sense with what everything that's been said and done in HL2. I'm not going to repeat over and over why I feel that way, because you've read it.

You disagree? Cool. I'm not even that bothered. And I don't mean that as dismissive as it probably sounds. It's all just opinion, and the game doesn't actually exist, so the whole debate is kind of moot anyway.
>>
>>388211525

You realize that Alyx is biracial, right?
>>
>>388212976
>literally no argument and no evidence
you could have just admitted you were wrong and didn't know what a deux ex machina is, you know.
>>
>>388210464
women can't be determined and aggressive: the post
how fucking ideologically intoxicated do you have to be to see some kind of 'le ebil feminazi propaganda' in this lol
>>
File: 16112.jpg (63KB, 800x607px) Image search: [Google]
16112.jpg
63KB, 800x607px
>>388213197
>Half-Life RTS
>>
>>388211525
At least her dad is from the cool generation of black people that remember Dr King
>>
>>388213096
And you're a retard for thinking speculation over the fiction of fictional things are anything but a subject of imaginative fun. What a wonderful fucking discussion you cunt.
>>
Fan-made mod based on the blogpost when?
>>
>>388213273
>women can't be determined and aggressive
that's true. well actually, they can be determined and aggressive to get day alimony and be professional victims. that's about it
>>
>>388213472
I'm unironically waiting for this.
SOMEONE is gonna do it right?
>>
>>388213197
You probably would've been trying to track down scientists involved with the Borealis, since humanity's superior teleportation tech was clearly the key to defeating the combine. Once Gordan got a device developed and attached to him, he could've actually pursued the G-man
>>
>>388213287
>7 hour war
>game is one 7 hour mission
>map keeps panning out as more and more armies desperately transfer command to you
>become overwhelmed
>desperately fail
Kino af desu
>>
File: nicejob.jpg (108KB, 499x488px) Image search: [Google]
nicejob.jpg
108KB, 499x488px
>>388213346
Welcome to 4chan, nigger, enjoy your stay
>>
>>388208196
This could be a commentary on linear games vs choice driven. HL is a linear game and Gordon is a silent, passive protagonist doing what others tell him to do.
At the end of the script Gordon talks about a choice, so I thought that the idea was for the player to make that choice which would be kinda revolutionary for a HL game.
But the choice is actually made by Alyx. Alyx speaks and actively chooses her own fate, making the final choice at the end of HL 2.
Gordon represents the "old way" of gaming and Alyx the new one.
>>
>>388213514
who hurt you anon
>>
>>388213514
you seem.. disgruntled. everything ok?
>>
>>388213587
I got punched by this bully once, but I beat him up later. that's it. why? you an armchair psychiatrist?

>>388213514
*dat alimony
>>
>>388213546
Yeah but then what? The ending to Ep3 implies that humanity isn't even a speck. The combine doesn't really sound like a threat that you can just throw a single guy (or world even) at and have him end it. Its way too fucking big
>>
>>388213731
>>388213587
samefagging I see
>>
>>388213472
That's actually a very good idea.
People behind this would be hired by Valve 100%.
>>
>>388205874
Gordon was too unruly for an employee, he pretty much screwed up G-Man's original plan in HL2.
Alyx is either:
a) went nuclear, started to take charge and make decisions on her own (fucking capping Mossman in cold blood), the shit he likes in an employee.
b) mind control.

Basically, it's either PUNISHED ALYX that you would fight in the next game or Mindfucked Alyx that you would save
>>
>>388210712
FERNS
>>
>>388209778
the vortigaunts
>>
>>388213849
>Gordon was too unruly for an employee, he pretty much screwed up G-Man's original plan in HL2.
What's this bullshittery? When was the last time you played HL2?

This is his words at the end of HL2:
>You’ve done a great deal in a small time span. You’ve done so well, in fact, that I’ve received some interesting offers for your services. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t contemplate them, but these are extraordinary times
>>
I'm guessing some point in Half Life 3 Gordan would be wrecking shit then G-Man pops up and says it was all part of the plan.
>>
>>388210002
because goal is to block combines of obtaining the teleport technology
alyx wanted to destroy it altogether, and killed mossman who was against idea, thus proving her dedication to that particular goal. gordon was meddling all this time, and he had proven that he don't really follow gman's orders - so he can't be used anymore
>>
>>388213849
I buy into A more.

G-man totally does use and manipulate Gordon, and will do again with Alyx. But the reason hr picks the people he does is because of their prejudice and usefulness.

Gordon for example, proves to be the best at blowing Ayy Lmaos away in the original Black Message incident. G-Man sees the ruthless destain Gordon has for these interdimensional freaks, and knows that this will serve him well.

He uses Gordon again in HL2 for the very same reasons. Though by this point and through the episodes, we realise that Gordon is becoming wise to the fact that he's just a puppet. Gordon plays ball less often, and straight out defies G-mans wishes at some points.

So by HL-E3, G-man must finally realise that Alyx now has that same hatred and tunnel blindness in her mission to win this war for humanity. Gordon has become a problem, become expendable. Alyx is his new employee.
>>
File: Alyx_Vance.png (126KB, 256x426px) Image search: [Google]
Alyx_Vance.png
126KB, 256x426px
>can't put aside her personal emotions
>wants to destroy the most important discovery in mankind's history because her dead daddy told her to
>a discovery which would have given them a fighting chance against the Combine
>kills someone who disagrees with her about it
>gets pussy whipped Gordon to help her
>then leaves him to die

What a cunt
>>
>>388214524
why she followed g-man if her pricniple was to destroy the ship altogether? what he propose her
>>
>>388214523
>>388214524
I'm convinced Gordan would have still been the main character if Half Life 3 happened. No way it would have switched to Alyx
>>
>>388205874
YOU'LL NEVER KNOW FAGGOT LMAO.
>>
>episode 3 would have been the last game with Gordon
>Alyx of all people would be the new protag for the series
Ew, maybe we dodged a bullet.
>>
I'm interested in these "type 2/3" civilizations, I've never heard of these concepts before. And I love space terror.

Can you recomend me any book or reading about these things? I would love to read about dyson spheres and that stuff
>>
File: 1387620274940.gif (1MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1387620274940.gif
1MB, 500x280px
>>388214851
They wanted to make spin off episode about her back then, but canned it after 2-3 months
>>
>>388214928
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale
It's a concept some russkie astronaut came up in the 60s that everyone agreed on.
>>
File: Decay_schedule.jpg (326KB, 599x454px) Image search: [Google]
Decay_schedule.jpg
326KB, 599x454px
>>
File: 1421741149318.jpg (280KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1421741149318.jpg
280KB, 1600x900px
>>388215326
>>
>>388212187
>He's just left in an unknown time and place. Totally alive though.
He's rescued by the vorts
>>
>>388205874
R.I.P. Kleiner
I'll always remember you for being a Mingebag.
>>
File: 1493413886976.jpg (147KB, 388x524px) Image search: [Google]
1493413886976.jpg
147KB, 388x524px
>all those "valve will never make EP3 because they can't live up to fans' expectations" posts were completely true

Can't say I'm surprised.
I like Laidlaw's ending, but if it had been released people would have been furious.
>>
>>388215897
pretty good ending to ep 3
>>
>>388214524
Gman told eli to destroy it. Gman always had elis balls on a leash
>>
>>388210712
FULLY
>>
>>388211173
>Alyx is a coalburner
She's half-black herself, Anon.
>>
>>388215897
I'd pay an insane amount of money just to see the combine homeworld
>>
>>388215897
>furious.
Why? It was pretty fucking great. Would have made for one fucking experience.
>>
>>388215897
Good point, except that fan reaction has been overwhelmingly positive towards what has been revealed. Don't let the facts get in the way though, keep spouting that bullshit.
>>
>>388216090
>half black
>>388213226
>biracial
You cucks do realize that her other half is southeast asian, the niggers of asia? Half nigger plus half nigger is full nigger.
>>
>>388211071
Still Gordon. HL3 is focused on stopping the Gman as well as the Combine while trying to save Alyx from herself.
>>
>>388213262
>teleports you to magical space bus
Well... Im not saying I did that for no explained reason other than moving the plot...
>sends you to some shit ass city in a bus
But you should do what I want you to ;)
>>
It was his plan all along.
>>
>>388216373
>You cucks do realize that her other half is southeast asian, the niggers of asia? Half nigger plus half nigger is full nigger.
Dude just shut the fuck up. Either you're an actual retarded /pol/ack or a false flagger. I'd lean on the latter because you've been posting this shit in literally every HL3 thread.
>>
File: 1500768842055.jpg (50KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
1500768842055.jpg
50KB, 188x268px
>>388205874
What if... this is just the beginning of the HL2 release ARG?

Remember the crazy Portal 2 ARG??
It's not impossible
It's not impossible ;_;
>>
>>388210464
exquisite bait
>>
>>388213217
>its ballsy
Its a copout sorry faggot...not all bad ends are ballsy, literally the entire got tv series
>>
>>388216665
ARGs are usually run by employees of the company.
>>
>>388210421
They do, think about some of his quotes.

"You are man, He(G-Man) is not man."
"The Last. I am the last". I am."
And I'm certain there's some quotes about escaping his enslavers, which were the combine.
>>
>>388209771
>hire new writers

Sweet, another ME3 fuck up scenario.
>>
>>388217017
They could have hired that old-timer for a last gig?
>>
File: 1503424631203.png (83KB, 396x393px) Image search: [Google]
1503424631203.png
83KB, 396x393px
>>388210673
>xenocide on the Xen
>>
Can we collect all G-man theories at one place?
>gman is an alien contractor
>gman is a nihilanth or his relative
>gman sold an earth to combine, but combine didn't paid gman, so he woke up gordon freeman to clean an earth
>>
>>388216373

It's pretty likely that Judith Mossman was probably Alyx's mom. When you put together the clues, it's pretty implied. Mossman knew both Eli and Gordon at Black Mesa. Alyx is a lot younger than Judith. Eli probably struck up a relationship with Judith back when she was a junior employee at Black Mesa and he was a senior-level physicist.

Shortly before Mossman is first introduced in the game, Alyx says she "hates" her for some vague reason.

Why do you think that is? She just found out that Mossman is her mother shortly before and she was born out of an illicit relationship. She didn't shoot Mossman because of some noble and high-minded dying wish. She shot her because of how ashamed she was.
>>
>>388205874
I think he may still be interested in Gordon, but since the end of HL2 the vorts have been preventing Gman from sticking Gordon back in stasis.
>>
>>388216665
Your fuckers will never let it go, do you?
GabeN could appear, sell the HL rights to EA and you will still go "ITS JUST A PRANK YOU WILL SEE"
>>
>>388218925
Gordon[/spoiler] Freeman
>>
>>388215502
Neat pic

I really wish Shephard had showed up at some point during the HL2 episodes desu
>>
>>388210226
Borealis is gone. So neither humans or combine can use it's time and space teleporting tech. Gman only wants his kind to be able to do that.
>>
>the combine are so advanced they have a dyson sphere
>they still haven't tamed time travel
>>
>>388210159
This. Half Life writing was average at best.
>>
File: gmanretard.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gmanretard.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
ever noticed how one of G-mans eyes is higher than the other haha
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.