[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started playing this game and went with templar. I figured

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: poe.jpg (337KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
poe.jpg
337KB, 1920x1080px
I just started playing this game and went with templar. I figured I'd build him sort of like a prot and ret paladin from wow. Have shit attack me and just soak up all the hits while my attacks and aoe fuck shit up. Any recommended builds for me to do that? I'd experiment but I'm afraid of fucking up beyond redemption. Have no idea if the game even allows for respecs.
>>
>>388168830
Softcore or hardcore?
>>
>>388168905
softcore
>>
>>388168991
delete your toon
>>
>>388168830
Grim Dawn is better.
>>
>>388169129
I wanted to be hardcore but my mom wouldn't let me.
Also
>toon
Faggot
>>
>>388169129

>toon

>>388168991

>softcore

You should both kill yourselves.
>>
>>388170016
>reddit spacing
kys senpai
>>388168830
Since no one answered your question, no, you can't really respec; you get a point or two here and there, and eventually, you can buy respec points, but it's incredibly expensive and pointless to redo your whole character.
Grinding for the currency to do a full respec would take so long, you're better off just remaking the character once you've planned out the build. Which you should actually do before you start.
Experimenting is fun once you know more about the game, maybe your first couple characters you should start with some builds from the official forums (unironically a good spot to get builds if you're really stuck)
>>
>>388170209
Thanks for answering my question anon. I'll check the official forums in that case.
>>
>>388170209
The problem with PoE builds off the forums is that they all require fucktons of gear, or even specialized gears (uniques, etc.) which are expensive or take forever to get.
>>
>>388168991
You cant fuck up in soft core, there is a gem called cast on damage taken that you may like.
>>
>>388168830
you will get around 20 respec points just from playing from quests, anymore will have to be "bought" by using currency.
>>
>>388170497
Sounds like my jam. When do you get it? Early, mid or late game?
>>
>>388170616
there's a fucking wiki you asshole, go look there
>>
>>388170616
really late
>>
>>388168830
I would suggest playing a bullshit character on hardcore and going into it knowing you will die. You will learn how the game works and when you have a grasp of how you really want to build a new character your trash one will die.
>>
>>388170616
act 4, thats 1/4th into the game i think
>>
>>388170494
Yeah, 90% of the builds on the forums are gimmick bullshit relying on multiple uniques. Don't get me wrong, some builds do need specific uniques, but people just go apeshit and post builds that require Atziri's Acuity (no Vaal pact but relies on leech) or Skyforth, which are both insanely expensive.

After a few months of playing you should know the game mechanics enough to download an offline skill planner and make a build yourself. That's half the fun of the game for me, optimizing a build then seeing how it pans out.
>>
>>388171117
its in the second to last set of quest reward gems, so damn near the end of the game when it comes to skill gems
>>
>>388171139
I played with self-found builds since launch up until I stopped playing the first time, mainly because they were all terrible no matter what I did. I feel like balancing and refining a build in PoE isn't hard, but tedious; in fact, way more tedious than a game should have any right being.

Think about it, when you want to refine a build, you have to test every single node that may benefit the build (on top of figuring out optimal routes to achieve said nodes with the least amount of usage), which may or may not imply you have to have all the skill points available (max level) which takes a long time to reach unless you know the absolute best places to grind between certain level ranges. But not only that, it also implies you have the currency to even afford to test every node that looks interesting/useful.

I remember the first time playing, I kept every single point saved until I hit Lv. 20. Using a crit+tornado shot phys build on the ranger, and I was like "well how the fuck am I not doing any damage?"

Then I used up all twenty points to what I felt was good, and bam, huge damage increase. But by the point of no return (about 30-40 points in total) the build was lacking in defenses and damage was having trouble going up despite getting better gear.

Later in the game I realized that I should be prioritizing resistances while trying to not sacrifice important build stats. Yet it was still all for nought, cause my build wasn't "optimal" and having to restart just because I wasn't able to solo the later stages of the game, is pretty stupid.

While I like the tree branching, I think it needs slightly less nodes, not to simplify or "casualize" for new/struggling players, but quite simply to make it not tedious to make/remake a build.
>>
>>388171139
The only build I've ever seen that justifiably requires multiple uniques are max block builds.

You need Aegis Aurora or The Surrender and an Anvil. The old versions used to use Rainbowstride and Bringer of Rain, but you don't need either of those anymore due to Gladiator. The Red Nightmare is also fucking ridiculous for block builds, but it's a massive pain/super expensive to get one now, hell on the temporary leagues it might as well be impossible.
>>
>>388171319
Still, act 4 is nothing
>>
>>388168830
Look up a leveling guide, also decide what skills you want to use.
>>
>>388168830
Stop playing this game, it's not worth it, it's not fun. You'll end up with a "one ability spam" build because that's the only way to play the game
>>
Templars are okay. You can be a spellcaster or an attacker, but they're not the best for either.

They're really good at using totems. You can drop totems that cast spells automatically and it's pretty strong and hard to die. These builds are more common in hardcore though. But they can be crazy anyway because you can just drop them and have them fill the screen with bullshit while you keep running ahead.

Full respecs are tough (you will have to spend a lot of in-game currency) but you will get a good amount of respec points to play with anyway. The important thing is that you can try all sorts of skills to see one that you like.

It sounds like you wanna be a tanky melee attacker, in which case marauder, duelist, and Ranger are stronger, but Templar will probably work out if you get some life and physical damage.

Sunder is a really strong skill now, Cyclone and Earthquake are good too.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.