[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seriously, what the fuck went wrong? How can a company be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: file.jpg (30KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
30KB, 615x410px
Seriously, what the fuck went wrong? How can a company be so incompetent?
>>
they lost all of their work under the piles of money they're getting
>>
>>388160216
They've become to rich to give a fuck. Valve horizontal work structure is fully to blame for this. Most people apply to job position for that job security working on Steam for the rest of their lives, the ones really interested in developing game are steadily leaving the company. Even Mark Laidlaw got out after realizing he isn't getting any younger and HL3 is never getting made.
>>
They followed the money like every other rational business would. For OG valve fans we've been totally fucked but if you're an assfaggot you're being catered to endlessly. Also competitive bullshit with CSGO
>>
>Valve should make games for platforms with no guarantee that Steam will work on them in the future

Valve have been pretty clear that the investment needed for HL3 won't make sense until either Linux crosses the 3% (5 million user) mark on Steam, or its literally the companies future on the line.
For the moment Linux-only users hover around 1 million users (.75% of users do not dual boot or use Steam in Wine) and Microsoft have not yet enabled the Windows Store only restriction by default.
If you really want HL3 to happen, switch to Linux and help get the ball rolling.
>>
Because it's a series of regrets for Gabe.
>>
>>388161135
You're right!
>Switch to gahnoo + loonix
>no SLI
>have to compile your own profiles or something to get it to work
>trying to get certain games or programs on my SSD rather than my regular hard drive is a pain
>honestly too stupid to figure out proper partitioning, because installation isn't as simple as Windows, just changing a letter
>give up
>>
>>388161479
>no SLI
Depends on the driver, Vulkan allows for much simpler multi-device support than OpenGL or legacy Direct3D.
Most games so far just haven't bothered since its such a small market.

>have to compile your own profiles or something to get it to work
Not sure why you'd need to that unless you were trying to use something absolute bleeding edge that wasn't packaged yet.

>trying to get certain games or programs on my SSD rather than my regular hard drive is a pain
Works exactly like it does in other OSes. Either you just put them there (DRM Free) or in Steam you set up a directory on the SSD and select that when installing them.

>honestly too stupid to figure out proper partitioning, because installation isn't as simple as Windows, just changing a letter
Windows makes that ridiculously complicated, and I'm not sure why e, f, g, etc makes less sense than more sensible labels like 'games', 'documents', 'dvd', etc.
On Windows machines I'm always having to double check what device label it gave a disk before I deal with its really awkward bolted on unmount functionality.
>>
DOTA and CSGO
>>
>>388161135
>If you really want HL3 to happen, switch to Linux and help get the ball rolling.
It's hilarious that you actually believe in this.
>>
>>388162441
I'm not sure what's funny about the possible death of PC gaming as we know it at the hands of a console maker as they attempt to place console-style restrictions on the PC.

HL3 will either be the triumphal announcement of gaming on Linux passing MacOS, or a last desperate attempt to save PC gaming as we know it.
>>
>>388163342
No. You didn't get my point. The funny thing is you thinking that people migrating to Linux is gonna encourage Valve to develop HL3. That is never going to happen. We could wake up tomorrow and have half of all desktops booting Ubuntu or Mint and Valve still wouldn't move a finger towards developing HL3.
>>
>>388160216
>How can a company be so incompetent?
They never became incompetent, they just love money. Making HL3 would stop them from making easy money, plus I'm sure a lot of console gamers don't give a fuck about HL. Why would consoles matter you ask? Because that way they would make the most money, and we know much Valve loves money.
>>
>>388162078
>Most games so far just haven't bothered since its such a small market.
That's the problem. AFAIK there literally isn't a single Vulkan mGPU game, is there? DOOM doesn't do it. DX12 at least got a few games.
>>
File: GARRISONARTIFACT.png (1MB, 959x748px) Image search: [Google]
GARRISONARTIFACT.png
1MB, 959x748px
Reminder that we're entering a new golden age of Valve and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>388163613
Its not going to encourage Valve to do anything. That's what Valve themselves have said.
It doesn't make sense for them to produce a big new single player Windows game.
Not when 10 S is set to destroy PC gaming as we know it.

If tomorrow all the people who dual boot for Steam, or run Steam through Wine were to stop doing that and go Linux-only Valve would have the threshold of users they need to make HL3 regardless of what Microsoft does.
If Valve is going to commit to a ~5 year project now, they need to make sure they have a stable platform out to at least 2027.
Its not clear yet that GNU/Linux can provide that, and Microsoft aren't content anymore to let Windows just be a platform for Steam.

So that's why Windows users just see Valve as making hats and card games, while Linux users watch the GL and Vulkan feature and performance tuning patches rolling in from the dozen or so full time Linux devs they now have on the payroll.
>>
here's your closure

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/
>>
>>388164283
>10 S is set to destroy PC gaming as we know it.
How is a Chrome OS competitor going to destroy PC gaming?
>>
>>388161135
if valve actually said this, maybe people would switch to linux. Top Zek
>>
>>388164283
>That's what Valve themselves have said.
And you fucking believed it. Valve has been moving the goalposts since HL 2 Ep 2, everytime they come up with a shittier excuse.
>>
>>388164494
don't enrage the reptile mind, they don't like being called out!
>>
I just want some fucking closure
Fuck
>>
>>388164494
>ChromeOS competitor

Its much more locked down that ChromeOS, since under the hood ChromeOS is a Gentoo based distribution and is trivial to make run any compatible software you might want.
10 S will only run software from the Windows Store without DLC that upgrades it to Pro which will eventually cost at least $50.

Microsoft may be dancing around the subject but its pretty clear to anyone paying attention that its replacing Home in their lineup.
OEMs are going to love getting a $0 version of Windows that passes the expense on to users.
Microsoft is going to love having more guaranteed income from Windows users.
10 S is going to be the majority of new Windows systems, and then the majority of Windows systems total much faster than anyone wants to admit.
Budget systems are just the thin edge of the wedge.
>>
>>388164924
Microsoft can't replace shit. The worth of Windows is in Win32. Windows is literally a worthless OS which does nothing better than its competition if they remove its software support and backwards compatibility.

Remember those "Windows 8" ARM tablets which ran "Windows" but obviously couldn't run Win32? Did they perhaps bomb so fucking hard you forgot they existed?
>>
>>388164558
I don't know about that.
First they wanted to build a new engine since Source was showing its age.
Then when they got done with that they found out that 10 S was on its way.
Rather than remain in denial of that like just about everyone else they set to work building a better gaming platform.
They're now pretty far along towards that goal, with performance in the AMD driver they've worked on consistently exceeding that of the official drivers on Windows.
They just need users to switch away from Windows now so that it will make sense to make it.
>>
>>388164234
>tf2 is the one with the hat
every time
>>
>>388165293
>Remember those "Windows 8" ARM tablets which ran "Windows" but obviously couldn't run Win32?
Nope, they were Microsoft's first attempt and they failed miserably because everything in the ARM space is on UNIX-like OSes.
So Microsoft did have to make a temporary retreat back to their x86 safe space, but Microsoft's general operating procedure is that if it didn't work the first time they didn't force it hard enough.
So now 10 S is on its way.

>The worth of Windows is in Win32.
That is rapidly eroding though. Companies are migrating their mission critical software to html 5 client / linux server arrangements, and win32 compatibility software is already past the point where DOSbox was when Microsoft dropped DOS support.
>>
>>388165830
10S is going to fail just as miserably since it doesn't actually provide any more functionality than the ARM version. Nobody gives a fuck about their store.

If it's about games, do you imagine people are going to abandon their Steam, GoG, Origin, Ubishit, etc. libraries and pirated games because 10S came out or what? Do you think people are going to buy and use computers which don't run software they want, or what? How do you imagine this taking over anything?

It's going to be low-tier shit in the Chromebook playpen.
>>
>>388160216
Steam was successful.
>>
>>388160216
lazy fuck who take no risk
>>
Breengrub on twitter laid the foundation for what would have been the core conflict in HL3

That's as close to a canon ending as you're going to get
>>
>>388166270
A tiny percentage of users are significantly invested in Steam.
Most people play one or two games on it, and Microsoft is currently strongly encouraging publishers to release games on the Windows Store.
Most people don't care about win32, or open platforms, or even Steam.
If they can get Civilization, or League of Legends from the Windows Store they'll be fine with it.

Most of the big AAA devs already deal with console restrictions all the time, and don't really care enough about their stores to make efforts to save them.
Smaller third party store operators are going to have to make a choice, CDPR at least still seems to be in denial declaring both Galaxy and the Vulkan version of Witcher 3 for Linux to be low priority.
>>
>>388166934
>Most people don't care about win32, or open platforms, or even Steam.
>If they can get Civilization, or League of Legends from the Windows Store they'll be fine with it.
I mean, you can spout this shit as much as you want, but in reality the store is an abysmal failure nobody cares about and the vast majority of Windows users aren't even on 10 in the first place.
>>
>>388166934
What are the incentives for users to switch to 10 S in the first place?
>>
>>388167920
>the store is an abysmal failure
Internet Explorer would have been an abysmal failure if Microsoft hadn't forced it and sabotaged the competition.
Its amazing what total control of one monopoly can do for gaining another one.
Its the perfect time to do it too, this administration in the US won't do anything against them, and any fine the EU could come up with would be insignificant compared to the increase in their revenue.

>the vast majority of Windows users aren't even on 10 in the first place
The majority of Steam users are. 10 and 10 S are going to continue to grow at the cost of older versions of Windows marketshare as Microsoft continues to disallow essential updates to older versions and the actual EOL dates approach.
>>
We have this discussion at least once a day.

There's no money to be made from it. Valve makes more money from in-game cash shops in TF2 and Dota in a day that a hypothetical HL3 would make in over a year.
>>
>>388168492
>would have been
But IE wasn't and the store is, critical difference right there. Are you going to tell me now that Windows is going to take over smartphones too, because MS will push "hard enough"?
>>
>>388168331
It will be the OS pre-installed on the majority of new hardware around the time when 7 is officially killed off.
So its not so much users being incentivized to switch, more users not having an option.

A few years from now I'm sure there will be threads here blaming Valve for forcing users to spend $50 so they can install Steam, how upgrading to pro and installing Steam breaks their Xbox games and talking up how awesome the Xbox game experience is on 10 S with no broken Steam to worry about.
Seriously, publishers will start requiring the lock to the Windows Store as DRM.
>>
>>388168703
Microsoft missed their opportunity to enter that market even after making their best effort in spending billions of dollars to remove the most technologically impressive hardware/software platform in an attempt to force their sub-par product.

The lock to the Store, the UWP format, and many of the other things Microsoft have going on now could be used to attempt to make another push into the ARM space, but its more likely to be a bulwark against further erosion of their platform by third parties.
Microsoft doesn't have a very bright financial future in a world where Windows is simply a platform for Chrome and Steam.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.