[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to learn a bitta code to make games and/or websites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

I'm trying to learn a bitta code to make games and/or websites as a hobby

I'm in the middle of learning JavaScript through Codecademy but it's pretty confusing.

Any tips? Good places and ways to practice?
>>
>>388113940
Start by asking some place dedicated to programming and decide whether you want to make websites or games because trying to learn both at once will be overwhelming for a complete beginner. Websites are easier.
>>
>>388113940
>javascript
There is your problem
>>
File: gay.jpg (18KB, 260x341px) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
18KB, 260x341px
>>388113940
Learn c
>>
FreeCodeCamp, because after the intro sections it actually gives you some projects so you make shit. Making shit with some set goals and little explanation is how you learn the most.
>>
>>388113940
Instead of learning from others, sit down and code something up yourself.
>>
>>388114141
Useless in 2017
>>
>>388114110
I'd say games would be top priority for me. I've heard unity is good for starting and that uses JavaScript as far as I know?
>>
>>388114994
I'd forget about javascript if you want to make games. You can make games with javascript, but they're still mostly geared for the web. There are export options in engines that can turn games you make HTML5/JS web-compatible but generally if you're serious about making games you should learn something else.

If you're serious about games then you should learn C++. C# is perhaps an acceptable modern alternative but I'm a web dev by trade not a game dev so I'll leave that language war to someone else
>>
>>388115424
Thanks man! I've heard that C is terribly outdated. are C++ and C# much different?
>>
>>388114110
don't most people nowadays just use "templates" for websites anyway? barely anyone starts from scratch from what i've heard. 15 years ago could make decent looking website. nowadays probably wouldn't even know where to start.
>>
>>388115773
C++ is trash and C# is microshit flavored java
Learn C and instal gentoo
>>
SO which one is trash?
C
C++
C#
I know they aren't the same ofc, but there seem to be mixed opinions
>>
>>388113940
I use Js and C and c# every day at work. I can try to answer questions if you want.
>>
>>388115892
Recently graduated multimediadesign and can confirm.
We were taught basic html, css and javascript, just so we knew how the languages worked.
After that, we worked with cms systems and only had to slightly alter existing code.

Those languages, especially javascript, can be good primers for learning how coding languages look and work. afaik game menus and ui are set up in the same way as websites, in regards to block building.
>>
Can you get considered for any sort of programming job if you're self taught?
>>
>>388116246
Fags are gonna tell you they're all trash they all have different applications. If you're interested in game development C++ is what you'll want to learn out of those 3.
>>
>>388116246
C is general purpose good and good for learning primitive concepts that will carry onto other languages.

C++ has its uses on specific platforms, but most of what it offers has now been superceded by higher level languages.

C# is really for creating Windows programs only.
>>
>>388115424
There's a lot more support for c# over UnityScript and last I searched c# has a few more benfits for game development.

JavaScript is still a good langauge to learn, but I'd reccomend c# if you wanna get making them viddys
>>
>>388116619
It's possible if it's an entry level position at a small company.
>>
>>388113940
Really though, learning a new language is nothing once you really learn one. Most concepts carry over to other languages. Js is good if you're trying to get some job security. It's pretty much required learning for web programming nowadays.
>>
>>388116619
through networking, or with a really good portfolio, yes
>>
>>388116619

If you've got lots of quality projects on your Github it's worth twenty times more than the school paper.
>>
>>388114384
It's very educational even in the current year
>>
>>388116619
Companies want results. If you can show results in relevant technologies, you're in.
>>
>>388115773
C is still important in the sense that it's still used and it's also supported by just about every platform in existence. However, unless you are creating your own game engine that needs top class performance, you will probably never touch C in game development.

C++ and C# introduce many more major features over C. In that sense, they are very much different.
>>
>>388113940
If you are serious about coding, keep on doing those courses. I did some of those codecademy courses myself, and I thought it was one of the more intuitive coding tutorials/courses that are out there. If it gets confusing, try looking at the hints or google your problem. I'm not a professional programmer or anything, but in the few instances I did some coding for the company I work at, just looking up problems I had on the internet helped me so much, because you either find a solution or you don't but learn ten new things in the process.

You're not going to go from zero to making indie games in just a few days, so I think the basics of programming are more important than focusing on one particular language. JavaScript is a decent choice actually, because it is so widespread and you said you wanted to make websites as well, so JavaScript is good to know. If you get decent at JavaScript, you are going to have a much easier time picking up on most of the other programming languages there are, so it's never a waste of time.

One last advice, don't just do tutorials on the internet. Try doing little projects for yourself. It could be something as simple as programming a calculator, or creating a small app for your phone that does one or two things. In my opinion it's much better practice because you're not just learning new concepts and syntax, but also how to apply and connect what you learned so far.
>>
>>388117396
Pretty much this. Companies want to know what work you contributed towards thing that produced actual real world results. Just having a degree that says that you could possibly do something isn't as weighty as history that shows that you actually put effort into something relevant.
>>
>>388116619
It makes absolutely no difference, at least where I live. Only thing that matters is personal projects, open source contributions and previous work experience, ie. stuff that proves you can code. If you have none of those, no degree is going to help you.
>>
>>388113940

Please don't learn javascript as first language. World doesn't need more retards who don't know shit about types and force their awful dynamically typed languages everywhere, without realizing that dynamic types aren't any easier, they just make compilation errors into runtime errors, which is actually a lot worse.
>>
>>388118923
Heh, what languages do you use, if I may ask? You seem like an old school type.
>>
>>388116619
If you've good portfolio to show some good stuff that you've done then it's probably better than just have "i went to this school" in your cv.

At least that I'd prefer If I was one hiring people, but then again in reality they probably just throw your application to the trash bin without even looking at it if you don't have certain degree.
>>
>>388116619
100% Yes.

Make a github account and just get some idea and go for it. A good github portfolio is better than a degree in some cases.
>>
>>388113940
Just use rpgmaker bro.
>>
>>388116306
What do you do for a living?
>>
>>388119079
It depends a lot of what you're doing. Game stuff I've done mainly with C# (Unity and monogame). I work as a web developer, and there it really depends on the size of the project. Large projects I've done have been mainly Java or C#. Smaller and less important one's are usually with ruby or javascript, which are dynamically typed, but the frameworks they have (Rails and NodeJS) are just so easy to set up that it's more cost effective to use them. I fucking hate dynamically typed languages. My company recently changed javascript to typescript (typed language that compiles to javascript), and the development time was significantly reduced, and there's less bugs.
Dynamic typing doesn't save time, to the contrary actually, it just moves the time investment that you'd need for learning the language to development, also allows big companies to hire masses of unskilled indians to make horrible software.
>>
>>388120048
Computer programmer. I make tools for in-house use. Websites, Windows applications, embedded Linux.
>>
I've never programmed before but I'm going to try and learn python for work. Can I do anything with it?
>>
>>388120234
You could be right. I use JS for a lot of my web projects, bit they are usually things that are straightforward and I work alone instead of on a team so I have total control. It seems that having some level of restriction is good for projects that have to work with more people because it reduces some uncertainty.
>>
>>388120359
Python is well supported for many platforms. Django, a web application platform, runs on Python. You can do quite a bit with that.

It's also very easy to use, and will teach you a lot of the basics if you are still learning.
>>
>>388116619
It's how I did it
>>
>>388120359
It's best used for maths and science. You can also build websites with it and technically you can also make games with it, but I wouldn't seriously use it for such purposes.
>>
JS is a horrible place to start with.
Even fucking LOGO would have been better, if you want to learn coding.

>>388114384
Absolutely not. For example Linux is written in C.
And its OOP extension C++ is fucking everywhere.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.