[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JRPGs I think they're mindless button spamming grindfests.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

File: Tata.jpg (48KB, 340x500px) Image search: [Google]
Tata.jpg
48KB, 340x500px
JRPGs

I think they're mindless button spamming grindfests. But some people disagree. So go ahead and name a JRPG where you do more than just spam your best attack and heal occasionally, teach me how to play JRPG's properly. I'm genuinely interested, not baiting.
>>
Most JRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy are heavily dependent on the player deploying buffs, debuffs and other situational stuff depending on the combat system(e.g. a positioning system that adds elements of SRPGs) before unleashing attacks.

>>388106954
Lurk more.
>>
Maybe they're just not your thing anon? I don't think there's any convincing if you're at this point. Try the Grandia series.
>>
>>388106293
Bump
>>
File: clo_9.png (51KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
clo_9.png
51KB, 512x384px
>>388106293
>grindfest
Just don't fucking grind and you'll be put in situations where you have to do more than attack and heal.
>>
Beat Dhoulmagus in DQ VIII without grinding for multiheal.

It's a decent casual filter.
>>
>grinding
>in any JRPG
What the fuck. I can't remember last game I played where grinding was required.

Also, I play JRPGs for the gameplay.
>>
>>388106293
Persona 5 and to a much greater extent, all the SMT games typically require you to lower stats and raise stats. In Pokémon you can usually steamroll with attacks, even bosses, but in SMT games, usually bosses don't have a weakness to exploit so you have to manage their stats. It's not super complex or anything, but still.
>>
>>388106293
Etrian Odyssey series
>>
>>388106293
well in dragon quest games I feel like buffing and debuffing enemies is actually useful. But if youre playing RPGs for the gameplay and not the narrative then youre literally doing it wrong
>>
On the other hand I have yet to play a WRPG with good gameplay.

And the writing in them hasn't been good since Infinity Engine either.
>>
>>388106293
''tales of'' series is active control, you gotta inoput key combos to use skills and position effects outcome of said skills. plus free movement and jumping in fights
rogue galaxy is another action rpg.
Xenoblade Chronicles
>>
>>388106293
FPSs

I think they're mindless button spamming grindfests. But some people disagree. So go ahead and name a FPS where you do more than just spam grenades and respawn occasionally, teach me how to play FPS's properly. I'm genuinely interested, not baiting.
Any genre will look bad when you reduce it to its most casual elements, anon.
>>
File: 1500189369464.png (465KB, 905x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1500189369464.png
465KB, 905x1300px
Grinding isn't necessary in a lot of JRPGs, it's reasonable to float on through well designed ones while having to make actual choices based on what's happening. I don't do this though because I love grinding and enjoy being powerful.
>>
I'm still not hearing what makes JRPGs so much more than spamming your best attack and healing. Buffing/Debuffing is the only actual tactic I've heard so far.

Give an example of a boss lets say. In every JRPG I play I run into a boss who just cockblocks my progress and one hits me before I can try anything. I'm high enough level wise but whatever tactic the game wants me to use I can't figure out because I die every time I experiment.
>>
>>388109293
Stop making those threads every day. By the 3rd time of you ignoring what people say they just lose interest.
>>
>>388109478
Dunno what you're talking about, I haven't posted on /v/ in months
>>
>>388109293
>what games make me feel like THIS
>BRAAAAP
>*blocks your path*
>Is he right?
>convince this game is good
>well /v/?
>>
>>388109293
>In every JRPG I play I run into a boss who just cockblocks my progress and one hits me before I can try anything.
That should be pretty rare in any RPG worth playing, barring scripted losses of course.
>I'm high enough level wise but whatever tactic the game wants me to use I can't figure out because I die every time I experiment.
This is probably just you lacking situational and pattern analysis. If you can't figure out what exactly is killing you after dying to it over and over, you should probably just play a different genre.
>>
>to beat enemies you have to do damage until they die
WOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>388106293
Tactical JRPGs do it for me. Try out Front Mission 3 (PSX) or Devil Survivor(3DS). Fire Emblem is also good, and there are plenty Pre-Waifu entries in the series if that turns you off.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (2MB, 1863x1697px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
2MB, 1863x1697px
Come at me.
>>
>>388113478
I posted this in the wrong thread. But my challenge stands.
>>
File: 8956f09bb849ebb879cd5180383076.jpg (65KB, 510x510px) Image search: [Google]
8956f09bb849ebb879cd5180383076.jpg
65KB, 510x510px
JRPGs are about more than just the combat. They are about the story, the characters, the journey through adversity; overcoming impossible odds. There are life lessons we can take from playing JRPGs. If you truly want to appropriate JRPGs you need to look at more than one aspect of the game. Many JRPGs feature amazing soundtracks and impressive, unique art styles.
>>
>>388113849
>There are life lessons we can take from playing JRPGs.
I agree, the next time I fight a skeleton I'm buffing myself to hell and back.
>>
>>388108712
>>388106293
VNs

I think they're mindless button spamming grindfests. But some people disagree. So go ahead and name a VN where you do more than just spam button and pick a choice occasionally, teach me how to play VN's properly. I'm genuinely interested, not baiting.
>>
File: Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nocturne_.png (172KB, 256x360px) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nocturne_.png
172KB, 256x360px
>He hasn't played
>>
>>388114134
Oh yeah this will answer your question OP that or prove you're a shitter who has to grind and that's why you hate.
>>
How about Fantasia? Haven't play it but people told me that you can't just spam attack and heal in the boss battle.
>>
>>388106293
Shin Megami Tensei series

Good jRPG's are about managing buffs, debuffs, and weaknesses in addition to the basic risk management of attack vs heal.

In the best jRPG's a lot of what you do in combat is determined out of combat by your choices in your character build.
>>
File: governmentspiesonyou.gif (2MB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
governmentspiesonyou.gif
2MB, 400x320px
>>388113978
as you should
>>
>>388107552
I'm having to grind in ff13 for someone's edlon
idk why I'm having so much trouble? it's the fang and vanille one
>>
>>388106293
Etrian Odyssey can be beaten without grinding once as long you use your brain, and I laugh every time there's a thread here because you brainlets think the only strategy is going against bosses while having 10 levels more than them.
>>
Chrono Cross
>>
>>388115609
>needing to grind in a FF games
JRPG really is not for you
>>
>>388115898
i have played tons of jrpgs idk why this one is kicking my ass
>>
Did no one mention this yet?
>>
>>388116162
This game is easy as fuck. What are your point?
>>
>>388113993
But VN's do suck, that's the only genre that you didn't have to simplify to fit into the copypasta
>>
any SMT title or spinoff minus maybe those before 3, or any grandia

also stop grinding
>>
I kinda love grinding though... I spent so many hours as a kid in the Omega dungeon on FFX maxing out the sphere grid for all characters
>>
>>388118007
That is not the way to max sphere grid anons. You are wasting so much of your kid time
>>
>>388118482
What's the best way then? Just out of curiosity. That was the fastest way I found back in the day
>>
FPSs

I think they're mindless button spamming killfests. But some people disagree. So go ahead and name an FPS where you do more than just spam your best weapon and heal occasionally, teach me how to play FPS's properly. I'm genuinely interested, not baiting.
>>
>>388118856
I haven't played 10 in a long time, but I'd wager its farming the special spheres that allow you to learn moves from anywhere on the grid
>>
>>388118856
>get door to tomorrow
>get overdrive to AP
>fight don tonberry
>????
>PROFIT
That's what I remember.
>>
>>388118856
Overdrive to EXP against that one Tonberry in the arena
>>
>>388115609
For eidolons? Jesus christ what the fuck you are doing? Eidolons are fights that in no way are tied to stats or abilities.
>>
>>388106293
Kill yourself or stop playing final fantasy.
Preferably kill yourself.
>>
>>388106293
>FPSs
>
>I think they're mindless trigger spamming grindfests. But some people disagree. So go ahead and name an FPS where you do more than just shoot your best gun and go into cover occasionally, teach me how to play FPS's properly. I'm genuinely interested, not baiting.
>>
>>388116097
Because for once in your life, you have to do something else than hit the enemy with your strongest attack and heal. Just think for once in your life.
>>
>>388107470
>wave of ice
>wave of ice
>wave of ice
>wave of ice
>every single boss for the rest of the game spams that shit
damn bosses in that game were gay
>>
>>388113849
>all this pretentious shit
Just read VNs if you are playing JRPGs for the story
>>
>>388107359
This. Playing through JRPGs by minimising or even running away from random battles makes the game harder, you don't have to grind. You'll find them more entertaining by trying to think of ways to beat bosses by levelling up as little as possible and trying to think of creative ways to beat enemies.
>>
>>388115609
>>388119357
Now that this anon mention it. I believe those eidolon fights are actually gimmicks/scripted fight. You are expecting to do certain setup to win
>>
>>388119723
Hard to do this since in older games they don't show Bosses HP bar
>>
I would like you, op, to try and beat SMT Nocturne without casting any buffs and just mindlessly pressing buttons. Please
>>
File: Ebf.jpg (392KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ebf.jpg
392KB, 1280x720px
>>388106293
Epic battle fantasy.
Play it on hardest and it requires you to spam heals buffs and debuffs and status effects on bosses.
>>
>>388108712
>>388119070

These, or this anon, need a special reward for retardedness. Obviously there's a difference between a coordination challenge you improve on and manually selecting the same commands for almost every fight - be they AttackAttackHeal or BuffAttackHeal.

OP is on the money for many JRPGs, not all.

>>388109293

SMTs
because different de/buffs have situational variable value and you can change party/skills mid fight to up the risk reward element

Etrians
Because status effects work on everything but have limited duration and because the only way to get big damage is to plan it several turns in advance, creating an incentive to not do certain logical shit because it'll interrupt your mega combo

neo-Xeno games
Again party members have complementary skills, action happens in real time and you have to time your actions to fit AI teammates.
>>
>>388120958
They're different anons, and a number of JRPGs have real time elements to them.
>>
>>388120958
Grandias
Is timing based - again semi-action based - the timing of your shit affects the enemy

FFXII/III
Whatever you make of the games, they do the fight heal stuff on auto pilot, your interaction as the player is based 100% on telling the characters to break their pattern

and then there's the whole SRPG wing of the genre which is really the gameplay locus - games where all the shit people are noting as more important than battles upthread is scaled down to fit in more, longer battles
>>
>>388106293
Strategy not Tactics OP.

Your average JRPG is hollow tactically - your battles are just damage/healing races, but they're the culmination of hours of party building - optimising loadouts, investing money, finding the optimal skills. That's the game. The character development.
>>
>>388109293
Name one FPS that isn't just shooting people. The onyl real other tactic is hiding behind cover. How boring.
>>
>>388106293
Most SMT games. Grandia as well I believe. Xenogears as well to name a few.

It depends on the game and the systems in place. In some games, buffing and debuffing matters way more. Other games, comboing or shuffling attack order.

Theres more systems in place. Only the worst ones are just grind/spam.
>>
>>388106293
LISA the Painful features limited grinding so powerlevel is regulated throughout the game, specific enemy weaknesses, and about 30 swappable party members so you have a ton of build options. It's western, though, even if it is JRPG style.
>>
File: GeniusOfSappheiros boss.jpg (253KB, 1412x930px) Image search: [Google]
GeniusOfSappheiros boss.jpg
253KB, 1412x930px
>>388109293
This game can't be beat if all you do spamming your best attack, healing and Buffing/Debuffing. Another skills required are
>using weird strategies like using buffs on enemies and spells that are detrimental to you
>proper timing of using spells since they have specific turn durations and cooldowns
>being Batman-prepared
>>
>>388109293
Depends on the game you're playing, but it could be any number of things.

1. You're not leveled up enough.
2. Your characters are poorly suited for the boss. Like bringing mages to a boss fight thats heavily resistant to magic/does high physical damage.
3. You're just straight up ill equipped. Such as not keeping up with armor or not equipping armor that mitigates whatever the boss does such as elemental armors.
4. You're not buffing/debuffing to reduce the damage taken.
5. Boss is purposefully unbeatable for story purposes.
6. You're not using whatever specific mechanics are in the game. Such as turn press in SMT games or devil fusions.

Just some reasons I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
>>388106293
I'm assuming that everyone who rallies against JRPGs are from the Polygon, Waypoint, duckfeed parts of the internet

I'm not saying you're wrong but we're getting invaded by that part of gaming
>>
>>388119723
I sort of did this. When I was young babby I played FFX and didn't know to use the sphere grid all the way up to that big scorpion/lobster looking sinspawn on the big cliff that was in the cage. I asked my older cousin to help me beat it and he was dumbfounded that I was able to get that far without using it. The game was way too easy after that...
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.