[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>No physical backwards compatibility >Lack luster digital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

>No physical backwards compatibility
>Lack luster digital backwards compatibly

Do they really assume people don't want this, or are they just being anti consumer becuase their on top and don't have to try
>>
>>388060657
How is that being anti-consumer?
>>
>>388061131
Because Xbox one has it and it was something that was originally in the PS3
>>
>>388061670
>Because Xbox one
And? That does not make it anti-consumer.

>was originally in the PS3
Yeah, by having the PS2 built into the PS3. It still does not make it anti-consumer.

You should not use words you dont understand.
>>
>>388061910
Backwards compatibly has be a somewhat industry standard for a minute, not including it or some kind of digital replacement feels anti consumer
>>
>>388060657
Physical backwards compatiblity.
Does this mean that physical games can be used to play the game even if it requires online to function?
>>
>>388060657
You forgot about how the fans kick in super loud and it still gets really hot the Chinese workers assembling these things must hate Sony.
>>
>>388062635
Pretty much

PS4's Virtual console sucks though, they did this stupid netflix of games thing with the dumbest selection
>>
it's a shame ps3 had that shit tech and will never be playable on a future console
i've had mine fixed twice and it's YLOD for the 3rd time (the last time working for like 2 weeks)
buying another one is just inevitably waiting for it to happen again

meanwhile, i have a stack of games for it i haven't finished or even started
>>
>>388062861
Selection couldn't be much smarter desu.
All the hardcore gamers who buy a lot of games need to invest in hardware to get the niche titles they want while the normies that don't want to buy a console but is still willing to get pay subscription get the games they want.
>>
>>388060657
>or are they just being anti consumer becuase their on top and don't have to try
You just answered your own question.
>>
Anon dont you know? The PS4 does have backwards compatibility, its just that the PS3 has NO GAMES
>>
>>388060657
I see absolutely no reason to own an Xbox but I still want them to push Sony's shit in so they'll pull their head out of their ass when it comes to this stuff
>STILL CAN'T CHANGE USERNAME
>>
>>388062635
Physical backwards compatibility is like how you could put a Gamecube disk onto your Wii in order to play Gamecube games without having to pay for anything extra.

Digital backwards compatibilty is like the Wii's Virtual Console games that had NES, SNES, N64 games and more but you had to pay for the game even if you already owned a physical copy.
>>
>>388062448
Playstation 2 is the only system that has ever been completely backward compatible, don't know what you mean by a standard.
>>
>>388063354
Was talking about the physical.
Xbox one has a style where you put in your old game and you have to download a recompiled ported version to your system before being able to play. That still counts as physical right?
>>
>>388063507
kinda not really maybe nah no
>>
>>388063447
Every Nintendo handheld devices have been backward compatible with the previous generation. Also, all consoles from the 7th gen were backward compatible with the previous one. Now, only the Xbox One has partial backwards compatibility.
>>
>>388060657
Anti consumer would mean they force you to pay $100 more to have that functionality and not being able to get a console without.
>>
>>388063507
Technically, it's digital, but from a consumer point of view, as long as you own the original disk, you don't have to pay for anything so I'd say it's "physical" backwards compatibility.
>>
>>388063338
I'd really love that, I don't even care if they get really jewish on me and make me pay, but I think I heard that they aren't technically capable of making that work. Something's fucky, idk
You're going to have to wear that name you thought was cool when you were 13 like a dunce cap, or just make another account.
>>
>>388063261
Tell me exactly how it is pro consumer not to have backwards compatibility. Just because they didn't promise it is a literal non argument for the statement OP made.
>>
>>388060657
I'd rather not have to pay an extra $100 for the ps3 hardware, and just leave my actual ps3 plugged in instead
>>
>>388064035
>Tell me exactly how it is pro consumer not to have backwards compatibility.
Nobody called it pro-consumer, you filthy nigger.

>Just because they didn't promise it is a literal non argument for the statement OP made.
>statement
A statement with words you dont understand. Lets say Sony would offer BC for PS3 with hardware that costs money and they would give that costs for the consumer to pay, is BC now pro-consumer?
>>
it would be a really nice extra.

the real problem is that backwards compatibility requires the new hardware to emulate the old hardware which is even more demanding than running native generation games.

Microsoft does it by putting in extra chips specifically for emulation but ps4 doesnt have this.
>>
>>388063754
Emulating the PS1 and PS2 would not increase the cost of the PS4. Yet, Sony did not make the PS4 backwards compatible with these consoles. This is anti-consumerism because Sony refused to make the PS4 bakcwards comparible in order to re-sell the same games digitally on the PSN.
>>
>>388064247
This doesn't excuse the lack of backwards compatibility for the PS1 and PS2, which would've been possible via emulation = no extra cost.
>>
>>388063447
>PS2
>early PS3
>All PS3 with PS1 games
>Gameboy color
>Nintendo DS
>Nintendo 3ds
>Nintendo Wii
>Nintendo Wii U with Wii games
>Xbox 360 with Xbox games
>Now Xbox One X will have it
>Genesis with an adapter to play Master System games
>5400 with an adapter to play 2600 games

It actually was a pretty standard practice
>>
>>OP
>becuase their
Slow down there, Junior.
>>
>>388064605
You don't understand how emulation works do you? Emulation doesn't even work flawlessly on PC. Several games need some tinkering to get it to work properly and Sony simply doesn't want ANY game to run just slightly worse than the original ran on their original hardware.
Every game i have emulated on PC has had at least small problems. Sony just doesn't want that.
"The new PS5 runs PS2 games worse than the PS2!?! Hhahaha what a faggot"
It wouldn't be a good image. Especially for normies that don't understand how software works.
>>
>>388064720
>emulation = no extra cost.
Ever heard of something called software engineering?
>>
>Buy PS4 2 years ago
>Barely play it
>Turn it on to delete profile
>Put it on Craigslist
>Credit card info stolen with charges made to pizza restaurant and play-station network.

How does this even happen my senpai? I even used a CD for division game, did they really need my credit card info to play this shitty game?
>>
>>388064438
Well if it isn't anti consumer that means it is pro consumer you stupid bitch.

>Lets say Sony would offer BC for PS3 with hardware that costs money and they would give that costs for the consumer to pay, is BC now pro-consumer?
If the consumer wants that product they are being pro consumer. What isn't pro consumer is forcing people who don't want 3 fucking systems plugged into their t.v. to do so. Pro consumer is defiantly not me sitting here with my PS2 copy of Rogue Galaxy and them charging me $20 to download it again.

Funny how the Xbone was able to, without any additional charge, add some BC to their system with an update and Sony sits thereally with their dicks in their hand. For fucks sake there are already 3 versions of the PS4, put another more expensive "ultimate" model and charge more than the base model for all I care.
>>
>>388064605
They don't even have the games on PSN desu the digital library for retros sucks, and they only PS2 games they have are GTA but they didn't port over the PS3 versions of the PS2 classic library or anything.

Playstation Now sucks truth be told in both selection and execution.
>>388063134
I guess but it leaves Casual niche games like me fucked. I don't have room for more than one console in my tiny ass NYC apartment, and I'd like to not have to buy a PS3 to play Persona 3.

I also own a Mac so no emulation

>>388063338
They said they can't becuase theres no serial number attached to PSN Accounts it's all names and that it would be too hard to retroactively assign a serial to ever PSN account
>>
File: ondori.gif (3MB, 164x267px) Image search: [Google]
ondori.gif
3MB, 164x267px
>>388060657
>No physical backwards compatibility
Just like every other current console.
Also keep in mind that every Playstation homeconsole had physical BC up until this one (at least the first PS3 model did, until they dropped it because in reality no one gives a fuck about BC). As opposed to the Xbox line which NEVER had physical BC, I still remember the horrors of playing Halo2 on the 360.
>Lack luster digital backwards compatibly
Can't deny that. You either stream games or purchase remasters.

>Do they really assume people don't want this
Now here's where you lose the plot. They don't assume people don't care about BC, they _KNOW_ people don't care about it. They have the statistics and they've done the best version of BC for the past 15 years.
In reality barely anyone even touches BC once, and those who do play a BC game for 10 minutes tops and then go back to current gen vidya. There simply isn't enough interest overall to justify the extra cost, except for very specific exceptions (say, SSBM on Wii)

Adding physical BC is can be very expensive depending on the system. Literally fitting a PS3 inside a PS4 would be even more wasteful than fitting a literal PS2 inside the PS3 like they did with those first models. It's at least $50 extra to the pricetag that everyone must pay, even those who will barely touch BC or use it at all.
Emulated BC is the only realistic solution between generations with different architechtures (this is the only reason GC>Wii>WiiU were so easy to get BC, and why PS3>PS4 or 360>Xbone would be way too expensive) but even emulated BC is costly because you have to get a 1st party team to manually retouch each and every game to work on the new system, basically making an emulator and ROMs compatible with it, glitch-free. It's still an expense

The only reason MS is willing to spend money is because they:
1) desperately need good PR this gen
2) have no consistent exclusives to fall back on in order to sell consoles
3) have infinite pockets
>>
>>388064523
Dude, most emulators are built from reverse engineering the original console because of a lack of documentation. However, Sony has all the documentation needed concerning the PS1 and PS2 because they built the damn thing.

Of course flawless emulation is impossible but wih enough documentation, you can get very close to the real thing. I mean, didn't the PS3 have PS1, PS2 and PSP emulation anyways?
>>
>>388065502
I also want to add that Nintendo didn't abandon BC with the Switch because "they don't give a shit". Rather, the Switch is the first time they moved out of the core Gamecube architecture (which they used for Wii and WiiU) so adding physical BC would not only be impossible due to Switch's form-factor but also too expensive to insert a WiiU inside a Switch even if it were a full-sized homeconsole, it would add about $100 (at least) to Switch's current pricetag.

Not worth it for a featture barely anyone truly cares about. BC is mostly for e-peen points, but no one uses it for an extended period of time except for very specific games.
>>
>>388065453
Dual boot your PC for mac and windows.
>>
>>388065574
PS2 software emulation on PS3 is shit.

And no, you don't need to "build the damn thing" to reverse engineer a perfect emulator. Most PS1 games are emulatable very accurately.
>>
File: ps3-boomerang-controller.png (72KB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
ps3-boomerang-controller.png
72KB, 600x334px
>>388065351
>What isn't pro consumer is forcing people who don't want 3 fucking systems plugged into their t.v. to do so. Pro consumer is defiantly not me sitting here with my PS2 copy of Rogue Galaxy and them charging me $20 to download it again.

This guy get it.
Not everyone wants 4 fucking paper weights on their coffee table at one time. Yes it's easy to go out and buy outdated hardware, but I'm only getting it for 2-3 iconic titles that I'm only gonna play through once. Games that should be on the virtual console given their status and merit
>>
>>388060657
because people who have backwards compatability already own the media physically

if that's the case then someone might buy a PS4 and (((spend))) a lot less
>>
>>388061910
it's anti-consumer because it is a requested consumer feature that they are saying has no value and have instead implemented a system that charges money for something that is similar to the feature. xbox does it for free while they charge for games with a rental fee.
>>
>>388065979
sorry, people who want**
>>
>>388065816
It's not that simple.

It's honestly that the Mac isn't made to do that and running it though windows just makes it run harder then if you were just to Emulate on the mac itself. Macs aren't made to play games really, it struggles with almost every PS1 and PSP and I try not even loading most.

Macs are made to run editing software, not play games
>>
>>388066167
What are you. Poor?
>>
>>388065979
Not really.

I'd rather be able to go online and buy a physical copy of a game for $5-15 instead of being charged $30 for some "HD remaster" or whatever the fuck
>>
>>388060657

There is no physical backwards compatibility because they want to resell you those games via their streaming service or digital downloads.

The XBone only had backwards compatibility for some games in order to be more competitive.

Also they don't have to do anything. However if the PS4 continues to lose ground to their competitors they may bring back physical backwards compatibility.
>>
>>388066297
>2.3k laptop
Poor

No, like I said I didn't buy this machine to play games I bought and built it to edit movies, it has good ram and a solid processor but it has no suburb graphics card; which is what eumlators need as well as tons of processing power becuase it has to emulate a full fucking PS2 and rework it.
>>
>>388066683
You are poor because you don't have money to invest in your gaming hobby.
>>
File: rmika-alpha3-fixed.jpg (174KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rmika-alpha3-fixed.jpg
174KB, 1600x1200px
>>388067110
No I don't want to.

Gaming isn't a hobby for me it's just like a toy or a game, I'm a grow ass man I have other things to spend money on. I just wanna burn though the Personas and older FFs without having to invest $70 for something I'll use once in a month.

I don't even play my PS4 any more other than a few rounds of SF with a friend.
>>
>>388066167
>Macs are made to run editing software, not play games
Macfag here, fucking this. Aside from running Adobe software, Macs are useless.
>>
>>388067604
>Macs are useless.

but they're pretty
>>
>>388067604
They don't even do that better. Spend half as much and get the same exact system. Fuck the OS.
>>
File: Untitled.png (235KB, 791x594px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
235KB, 791x594px
Sony believed that people didn't really care about BC, and it turns out they were completely correct.
>>
>>388067591
Your lucky this isn't your hobby. Some games now command a retarded amount of money
>>
>>388067982
No they're not. You get tired of the round edges after years of looking at them.
>>
As a non elitist cunt and general non faggot I only have one issue with the PS4 and that's the ridiculous amount of patches and the time it takes to install them. Leading to shit like waiting an hour to play a game you wanted to quickly play with a friend
>>
>>388068690
If we can make laws for trannies surely we can accommodate for 1.5% of players. Especially with retro gaming becoming more and more popular due to speed running and retro reviews on YouTube.
>>
>>388068881
>Can't go 5 minutes without thinking about trannies

Do you have something you need to admit to yourself anon?
>>
>>388069192
Me and this thread has been up for longer than 5 mintues anon
>>
>>388069192
I always want a girl with a Benis
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.