[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Good games that unfortunately haven't aged well.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: DMC1FrontCover.jpg (36KB, 279x397px) Image search: [Google]
DMC1FrontCover.jpg
36KB, 279x397px
ITT: Good games that unfortunately haven't aged well.

Pic related.
>>
>>388028234
I actually like it better than 3. 3 is too fast and button mashy and full of flashy moves that don't really amount to anything other than a meter saying stupid shit like "killer!"
>>
>>388028234
It's still fun, but inferior to its succesors in pretty much every department
>>
>>388028234
It's still fun, and superior to its successors in pretty much every department
>>
>>388028464
3 is just dark edginess locales,i dont know why people prefer it over the "metroidvania" level design of the first,theres even swimming in first person on the first game,c'mon
>>
>>388028835
>theres even swimming in first person on the first game
That isn't a positive
>>
>>388028835
The swimming, puzzle solving, and platforming felt too distracting from the combat in my opinion. The fact that 3 made combat the primary emphasis was a wise decision.
>>
>>388028234
games don't age you dumb nigger, I don't care if you and the rest of the fucking underage on this shitty board say "well aged is just shorthand", fuck you retard saged
>>
File: ZOE.jpg (114KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ZOE.jpg
114KB, 800x800px
Still a classic worth playing, but The 2nd Runner surpasses it in every way.
>>
>>388029052
There's reason to prefer the combat in 1 over 3 though. Personally I like 3 better, but I can totally see why someone would prefer the more strategic combat in 1, where it's all about knowing the enemy's movesets and exploiting their weaknesses, whereas 3 is more about giving the player freedom to do all sorts of crazy shit on less threatening enemies.
>>
>>388029201
Games age when a games appeal was its technical prowess or novelty features.
For example an RPG back in the day might have been mind blowing because it let you choose between a warrior, rogue, or mage, but that is standard today, not only that modern RPGs are expected to offer way character customization than just that, that old RPG doesn't have the depth a modern game would have.
>>
>>388029201
Yes they fucking do you dipshit nostalgiafag. I'm not talking about graphics. I'm talking about gameplay. When the gameplay of a game feels archaic and wonky compared to newer games, it means it didn't age well. If you can go back and still enjoy the game despite it being old, it means it did age well.

MGS1, Ocarina of Time, and Final Fantasy VII are examples of games that aged like wine. DMC1, Zone of the Enders, and Persona 3 are examples of good games that didn't age well since they were outclassed on all fronts by later entries in their respective franchises. Get it now dumbass?

>nigger
Nevermind, you probably won't understand. Fuck off back to /pol/.
>>
File: Persona3cover.jpg (89KB, 250x357px) Image search: [Google]
Persona3cover.jpg
89KB, 250x357px
After Persona 5, there's no way anyone's gonna want to even consider playing 3 unless Atlus makes an HD remaster that's updated to have 4's gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>388028464
>even 2 and DmC

no.

also, 4 does a lot wrong from what I've heard. being simple doesn't mean a game "hasn't held up". it just means it's simple. the atmosphere is still the best in 1 imo. 3 got too wacky.
>>
>>388029816
Call it archaic then you god damn redditor
>>
>>388030131
4 removed things.
most of the things 5 added were pointless. especially the clumsy stealth.
>>
>>388029052
the combat in all of these games isn't anything special.
>>
>>388028234
When I played this again a few weeks ago, it was way harder than i remembered. All the items and moves are really expensive, and since you cant replay missions, you'll have hardly any red orb's.
Also, you lose like 1/3 of your health from a single hit, but this was a good thing, because it made the game really scary, especially when you heard that music when there was one of those shape shifting cats in the room.
Some of the explosions in this game still look really good, though, maybe even better than 3. All the boss fights in this game were really good, too, I loved all the nelo angelo fight's.
all in all, I think it's a good game, I'f you could replay missions like in other dmc games, it would probably of aged a lot better.
>>
>>388028464
You're a complete faggot. DMC1 has the best story, Dante design, and music. Only game in series that has a serious tone onstead of the shit they nade afterwards.
>>
>>388032029
dmc2 was criticized for being too serious, Faggot.
>>
>>388032802
by who?
>>
>>388032945
everyone.
>>
DMC 2 is the best in the series. Prove me wrong
>>
>>388030498
>can't come up with a good counterpoint
>resorts to calling me a redditor
Typical /pol/ shitposter.
>>
>>388032029
How can anyone see DMC1 and think the game was meant to be wholly serious? Bad acting doesn't mean Dante wasn't supposed to be like any other of Kamiya's "goofball who get serious" anime type he made in every other one of his games. I mean just look at Dante's depiction in VJ and that was released before DMC3 supposedly turned Dante into what he is nowadays.
>>
>>388030352
4's problem is that its development was rushed. It's still a fantastic game that has aged wonderfully. In terms of atmosphere it's debatable between 1 and 3, but 3 is the best game without a doubt.
>>
File: 3f2.jpg (368KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
3f2.jpg
368KB, 3000x3000px
>>388030648
>>
>>388033078
Theres only one melee weapon type. And thery're useless anyway, because the stages are so big, its annoying to run to enemies, so I just shoot them with rocket launchers.
>>
>>388033326
The reason why they made Dante that way in 3 is because it was a prequel. They deliberately wanted to show a younger, cockier, and more immature and brash Dante. It just so happened that fans loved that version of Dante, so when 4 came they decided to make a blend of 1 Dante and 3 Dante. It worked.
>>
>>388033078
One of the bosses is a giant fish demon that you have to fight underwater, and it can also turn invisible.
>>
>>388033649
This. In 2 there's no point in using melee on bosses since they'll just immediately knock you back or since you can't even fucking reach them, so you're better off just shooting them. It doesn't make the game any fun.
>>
I still love replaying DMC1 though, the atmosphere, the enemies, the music, it's all so cool.
>>
>>388028234
It aged perfectly fine.
>>
>>388033914
Dante might of been depressed, in dmc1, because he didn't really know what happened to vergil.
But after freeing him from mundus' control and teaming up with trish, he got a lot happier.
Also, he was kind of funny in the first game. Remember when he said 'flock off, featherface?'
>>
>>388034394
Of course. Dante is a inherently a joker, but he knows when to get serious. That trait has always remained consistent in each game.
>>
File: Majin_Form_(gameplay)_DMC2.png (857KB, 807x819px) Image search: [Google]
Majin_Form_(gameplay)_DMC2.png
857KB, 807x819px
>>388034074
It was also really hard to die, because whenever you were low on health, you'd turn into this guy.
>>
>>388034726
Pretty much. There's a reason why Itsuno and the DMC team said "We like to pretend that DMC2 never happened."
>>
Super Mario 64.

Say what you will, but when you jump you have little to no ability to correct yourself midair. It's the same issue with SMB1. Sadly the DS version has the same issue, some day I'd like to see a expanded remake.
>>
>>388034720
Yeah, I know, he's a joker in all game's except 2. I believe lady or nero died, at some point between 4 and 2. And somehow it was dantes fault which is why he doesn't goof off anymore.
>>
>>388034884
>We like to pretend that DMC2 never happened
Did they really?

I would love that DMC5 retcons and replaces DMC2 while keeping some of its elements. The ideas were there but the execution was awful.
>>
File: 14595333430635.png (79KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
14595333430635.png
79KB, 250x250px
>>388028835
Because not everyone plays their action games for the environments and swimming segments, homo.
>>
>>388034948
That's the point though. It means you need to be precise about when and where you jump. You can control yourself more left and right than you can forward and backward.
>>
>>388028234
It's still by far the best in the series, so I have no idea what you're even talking about.
>>
File: header.jpg (27KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
27KB, 460x215px
>>
>>388034948
I played SM64 for the first time last year and that didn't bother me at all since the controls are overall super tight.
I'd rather see a new Mario game with 64's godlike movement system than 64 remake with modern mechanics
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.