[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I just played this. I don't quiet understand what sort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 9

File: Nier.jpg (228KB, 765x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Nier.jpg
228KB, 765x1079px
So, I just played this. I don't quiet understand what sort of surreal contrarian you have to be to think it's in any way better than Automata, but it's really fucking good. Holy fuck. It's so good. I'm not finished with it yet, I'm gonna assume it ends tragically, like all Japanese games I played, but I haven't enjoyed a game like this in a very long time. Also, I guess I haven't yet reached the part where they say Kaine is a man, so I don't quite get that meme. Also also, what exactly is Nier Gestalt and Replicant? Is it just a different version of the same game, or is it a completely different game?
>>
What endings have you gotten exactly? The Kaine meme is after the first ending.
>>
File: 1475125454920.gif (978KB, 154x154px) Image search: [Google]
1475125454920.gif
978KB, 154x154px
> hasn't finished nier once
>"ya, guys, I'm in your club now! I get it"
>>
>where they say Kaine is a man, so I don't quite get that meme

It's not a meme, it's part of the game. It's explained in NG+.

>what exactly is Nier Gestalt and Replicant?

The original Nier game (the Japanese one) featured a different, feminized male protagonist. When Nier was being localized for western release, they changed the protagonist completely because westerners would have thought he was "too gay".

Japanese release = Replicant
Western release = Gestalt

The protagonist is the only difference.

>I'm gonna assume it ends tragically

Won't spoil it for you, but I recall playing the ending and thinking to myself, "This is what Final Fantasy 13 should have been." I was blown away.
>>
>>388005946
Be aware, similar to Automata there is side content that gives more context to the final ending
>>
File: 20170812_215825.jpg (842KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20170812_215825.jpg
842KB, 2064x1161px
It just mentioned Kaine is 'different'. It never mentions she has a penis. You have to read the japanese art books to get that whole "Kaine saved this villager from a monster and then found her fapping in the woods because she was turned on by the violence." THe game ultimately plays it safe much to the shigrin of boipucci lovers.
>>
>It's not a meme, it's part of the game. It's explained in NG+
Not really, it's sort of implied but you probably won't understand it unless you already know the context
>>
>>388006553
Damn that sounds hot as fuck I wonder if that villager fapped to the memory
>>
>>388006813
He ran away in terror
>>
>>388005946
>So, I just played this. I don't quiet understand what sort of surreal contrarian you have to be to think it's in any way better than Automata

Maybe you'd know if you actually finished it, secondary.
>>
>>388006314
>The original Nier game (the Japanese one) featured a different, feminized male protagonist. When Nier was being localized for western release, they changed the protagonist completely because westerners would have thought he was "too gay".
>
>Japanese release = Replicant
>Western release = Gestalt
>
>The protagonist is the only difference.

But that's wrong you fucking faggot.

The west got the original version that the developers wanted, but they figured it wasn't gay enough for the japanese audience, so they made a special version for the japanese market where the main character is some kinda femboy faggot
>>
>>388006886
What a faggot
>>
>>388007058
I dunno how exactly it went down, but just judging on the animations like the running animation looks like it belonged to a younger body originally. Looks wierd seeing daddy nier take those ballet like strides.
>>
>>388007229
the father is the original, the brother was created to cater to the japanese market
>>
>>388007058
Friendly reminder that you should legit kill yourself if you believe this.
>>
I prefer nier 1's story and characters, i think automata kind of wastes alot of potential on a good chunk of its cast with only 9s and pascal getting the screentime they deserve. The yorha commander and A2 are so much wasted potential that it hurts and their screen time is criminally low. But above that I honestly wasnt all that attached to 2b since the only thing that really gives her depth doesnt come till literally the cutscene before the final boss.

to contrast it, i adored how ballsy and out there nier 1's party was, you had a goody two shoes dad/brother who goes from a generic anime protag to a bloodthirsty powerhouse with his eyes only set on revenge and saving his daughter, you had a pissed off tranny who you get to see take a complete 180 in how you percieve her and her actions thanks to branch B, and then you have a gay skelaton who is simply one of the most relatable sufferfags ive seen in a game.
>>
>>388005946
You have to replay the same shit 4 times and read some side content crap for the game to get good.
>>
>>388005946
nier is a 5/10, 6 if we're being generous
automata is a 7
>>
>>388007381
Kys you fucking revisionist tumblerite moron
>>
>>388007501
Why? I'm not the one spreading lies.
>>
>>388007537
yes you are

prove me wrong you fucking faggot
>>
>>388006038
I don't think I've gotten an ending, I've been playing for 12 hours, only just revived Kaine. Just wanted to talk about it a bit because I'm enjoying the game a lot.
>>388006262
I don't get what your problem is, but from your post I'm gonna assume it really sucks to be you.
>>388006314
>westerners would have thought he was "too gay".
That's silly seeing how today gays are being shoved into every game just for the sake of being gay.
>>388006475
By side content, you mean side quests? Because I was ignoring some of the, especially the fishing ones. I hate fishing in video games.
Also, the music is so beautiful in both of these games, it seems they put extra effort into just that part. It so amazing. My favourites are the Kaine song and that one Devola sings.
>>
>>388005946
>>388006314
Kaine is never stated to be a man, she was born a transvestite, sure she has a dick but she also has a vagina and tits
>>
>>388007623
By side content I mean a book with an extension to the final ending D, called ending E.
>>
>>388007707
you mean hermaphrodite
>>
>>388007707
>Kaine is never stated to be a man, she was born a transvestite

No she wasn't, you fucking nigger. Learn what a transvestite is.
>>
Automata has better core gameplay than NieR, but holy fuck I thought the characters were awful in comparison. NieR was more memorable, more touching, and somehow ended up having better and more varied bosses than a Platinum game. I like Automata, but it was no where as memorable as NieR to me. The only time I felt anything in Automata is when it was directly referencing the first game.
>>
>>388007058
>The west got the original version that the developers wanted,

Are you telling me that the company who has had scrawny JRPG-esque protags for all of their RPGs, including Nier Automata, suddenly decided to be the only Japanese company in history to release a game featuring a hyper-masculine protagonist--but only in the west? Why would the developers fight for one protagonist and then not have it featured in their own territory?

I don't know what hearsay or lies you heard from Cavia/Square/NeoGAF/GameFAQs, but the simplest explanation is usually the truth: American marketers looked at the original feminine protag, said "Nope", and demanded that they change it in the American release. And you can't blame them when the term "femboy faggot" is being used by their target audience: teenagers.
>>
>3rd world esl street shitter gives his opinion on an ancient game
k thanks
>>
>>388007707
Kaine wasn't borne a herm you dope, it's through Replicant fuckery that she has a dick.
>>
>>388007752
>>388007773
You're both right, I'm an idiot
>>
>>388007839
>a person wants to talk about a video game on a video game talk about board
What games have you been enjoying lately?
>>
>>388007831
>nier is hyper-masculine
This is how I know you were raised by a single mother.
>Why would the developers fight for one protagonist and then not have it featured in their own territory?
Money you fucking idiot.
>the simplest explanation is usually the truth
Literal moron.
>>
>>388007879
They're all replicants, non-replicants haven't been around for over a thousand years
>>
>>388007623
>Because I was ignoring some of the, especially the fishing ones.
First of all, fuck you fishing is great. Second, you're actually missing out on the best stories of the game.
>>
>>388007965
>being this butthurt about being called out on his lies
>>
>>388007381
But it's the truth, they just checked what games are best sold in the west and saw what worked. Everybody know that.
>>
>>388008003
What? Her original body wasn't a transvestite and she used to have a fiance.
Her replicant became a transvestite due to experiments.
>>
>>388008064
To be honest, I'm in sort of a rush since I leave in 7 days and I won't be home for 6 months, and I still have 6 other games to finish. Yet here I am shitposting on /v/.
>>
>>388008294
Took me about 80 hours to get all the endings/weapons/sidequests, I believe in you anon.
>>
>>388007965

We can change the subject if discussion about a video game is upsetting you this much.
>>
Kaine Salvation is one of the must beautiful songs I have ever heard in my life.
>>
I just finished Nier a few days ago as well and from what I understand, humanity is fucked, the replicants are going to go extinct, and the gestalts are all going to relapse into mindless monsters.

What about the androids? What happens to them? Are there more than Popola and Devola? Does this tie into Automata? If it does pls no spoil
>>
>>388008431
Let's talk about chocolate.
>>
https://youtu.be/vlPvH0lDGMQ

Pretty good game so far.
>>
>>388008540
Understanding what you just typed will help you understand Automata's story better. However if you played Automata before NieR then you basically spoiled the entirety of NieR for yourself.
>>
>>388008540
>Are there more than Popola and Devola?

Did you miss Emil's butler being an android or Accord existing?
Also there's multiple Popola and Devola models.
>>
>>388008282
Yes but who gives a shit? Replicants and their Originals are not the same people, that's sort of the whole point of the game, or one of them at leadt
>>
>>388007940
replaying ace combat 4 for some reason
>>
>>388008540
Yes, it all ties into Automata but read The Lost World, Space War and Fire of Prometheus, it explains what happens between the games.
>>
NieR being a gruff old dude with an ugly mug is what drew me to the game in the first place. I expected absolutely nothing and bought it on a whim and I got one of my favorite games ever out of it.
>>
>>388007831
both protags were avaliable in japan, numbnuts
>>
File: Tooby.png (230KB, 1017x785px) Image search: [Google]
Tooby.png
230KB, 1017x785px
>>388008620
>>388008625
I have not played Automata yet because my computer is poop and I don't have a PS4, I would like to eventually, my 2B folder is surprisingly large.
>>
>>388008587

Not the biggest fan. I doesn't disgust me but I actively avoid it. I'm more of a vanilla guy, myself. All of my friends are chocolate fanatics and I don't understand.
>>
>>388008804
I actually don't fancy chocolate either. Now white choclate, that's pretty nice, but all the chocolate fantatics tell me its not real chocolate.
>>
What are your favorite NieR tracks /v/?

>Emil Sacrifice
>Kaine Salvation
>The Ultimate Weapon
>Temple of the Drifting Sands
>City of Commerce
>The Wretched Automotons
>>
>>388006314
>>388007058
>>388007381
>>388007623
>>388007831
>>388007965
Brother Nier was the original protagonist. Yoko Taro came up with the idea of Dad Nier after a meeting with producers on how the game could appeal to the West.

Japan has both Dad and Brother. PS3 is brother and Xbox 360 is dad. West only got Dad version for both systems.
>>
File: 62397786_p11.jpg (170KB, 1024x849px) Image search: [Google]
62397786_p11.jpg
170KB, 1024x849px
>>388008792
Better get out from this thread unless you want some mouthbreather to spoil Automata for you.
>>
>>388008956
Song of the Ancients.

Best song in both games.
>>
>>388008956
Wretched Automatons was up there until Automata rolled out Wretched Weaponry which blew me away.
>>
>>388008792
I just meant that androids were a thing in the universe before the Nier timeline already.
>>
I think I'm probably the only person who likes both of these games equally
>>
Is Nier a better game than Automata?
>>
>>388008923

Okay, that's weird. I like white chocolate too. What are some other things you like? Do you like Gradius, Xenosaga, or gay BDSM? Maybe we could be friends. How about the Twisted Tales of Spike McFang for the SNES? Now that was a good game.
>>
>>388009401
It's better in terms of music and characters.
>>
>>388008956
>Gods bound by rules
>Shadowlord/Memories & Shadowlord/Roar
>Kaine/Escape
>Grandma
>Song of the Ancients/Fate
>>
>>388009401
It's worse in terms of music and characters.
>>
>>388009401
I personally think it's better than Automata is pretty much every way except core gameplay mechanics. Just remember that Automata is a LOT of people's first Taro game.
>>
>>388009602
Its the last Taro game I played and its my favorite one though.
>>
>>388009602
Nier 1 was my first Taro game and I would rate them about equal honestly
>>
>>388009425
I like bdsm but im not gay, sorry. Gradius is fun but I haven't played much of it and I've never played xenosaga. Recently I've mostly been playing Tropico 3 and its expansion, just finished its main campaign. Deus Ex 1 is probably my favorite game. SMW is my favorite snes games, never heard of twsted tales :O
>>
>>388009401
No, it's worse in all gameplay aspects. OSTs are on the same levels though Automata has a more diverse one and in terms of themes, story and characters they are so different it's really impossible to compare them.
Still, a great dilogy.
>>
>>388009726
>>388009739
That's fine and dandy, but it still doesn't change the fact that Automata is the first Taro game for a lot of people.
>>
>>388009767
NieR actually had some really nice and varied bosses as opposed to Automata where Platinum put all their effort into Simone and then every other boss was shit.
>>
>>388009914
It also doesn't change the fact it's an excellent game that is at the very least is not worse than first Nier.
>>
Nier is the best game of last gen fight me faggots

also hills of radiant wind is best song
>>
>>388009750

Twisted Tales of Spike McFang is a super underrated action-RPG where you play a magician who uses his cape, hat, and magic cards to attack enemies. It's weirdly awesome.

But you not having played Xenosaga is just unacceptable. We could never be friends.
GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!!!!!
>>
>>388009401
> Is Nier a better game than Automata?
It's a worse game, but a better story. Or at least I liked it better because it uses my favourite cliches.
>>
>>388009602
Is it just the mechanics itself or is the enemy design and level design better in Automata as well?

>>388009767
>No, it's worse in all gameplay aspects.
Well, that's unfortunate. I don't think Automata held up very well on that front either.
>>
What happened to the Gestalts in Nier Automata?
>>
>>388010013
Your nostalgia goggles are laughable.
>>
>>388010174
Nothing, they're gone for thousands of years by the time of Automata.
>>
>>388010130
please forgive me :'(
>>
>>388010275
Where did they go?
>>
>>388005946
>Also, I guess I haven't yet reached the part where they say Kaine is a man, so I don't quite get that meme.
It's part of a side material. Story called Witch's banquet IIRC so don't expect more than very vague implications form the game alone.
>>
>>388010308
> Where did they go?
Went insane from being without bodies for too long and died.
>>
>>388010308
Last Replicant died almost 7k years before the events of Automata.
Guess what happened to corresponding Gestalt.
>>
File: planescape__torment_by_mr_nick.jpg (230KB, 900x617px) Image search: [Google]
planescape__torment_by_mr_nick.jpg
230KB, 900x617px
Feels like first Nier was under a fuckhuge influence of Planescape, up to Transcendent One twist.
>>
>>388010457
Although it is said outright it is very heavily implied in the VN at the start of playthrough B
>>
>>388010985
I'm like 4/5 of the way through Planescape but I made the mistake of taking a break and I lost momentum
Is it worth finishing?
>>
>>388011451
Absolutely.
>>
>>388009767
It has much better dungeon/level design than Automata.
>>
>>388011689
I was afraid of that, I'll drag myself back into the world then
Read a fuckton of journal entries and get back into the swing

btw I got advised to max WIS and INT for the dialogue options, how much do they change at low levels of both?
>>
>>388011821
Nier 1 also uses camera angles more effectively and to do more shit, one entire dungeon being a Diablo clone for instance.
>>
>>388009401
>>388005946
Nier is better than automata in literally every single way

Combat is better because automatas marginally improved mechanics are made irrelevant because the majority of enemies can't be comboed, the retarded level scaling means you kill enemies in 2 seconds or 15 minutes, and half the game is boring shump segments. First game had more variety in its combat (stuff like the trials in the desert) and more memorable bosses.

The rest of the gameplay is better too because nier's world is more interesting because it didn't fall for the sandbox meme so it actually has stuff in it, and the sidequests are both better from a lore perspective and their annoyingness actually feels like it has a point, while in automata the sidequests are just convenient enough that them being the most generic bullshit MMO timewaster quests makes it feel like they just ran out of time to make something interesting.

I'd even argue that nier has better mechanics, the differences between weapon types feels a lot more noticable, the way your spells worked had an element of thought behind it while in automata you just spam shit whenever its not on cooldown. Likewise nier being way slower than sexy robots means that fighting the bullet spamming enemise or getting to their weakpoints was more challenging/interesting.

When it comes to story nier completely takes the take. Automata barely even has a story, it's just a bunch of stuff that happens to get in the way of 2B and 9S fucking like rabbits all way which is loosely connected by philosophical themes. It also seriously misuses the multiple ending and delete your save thing at the end nier did, where in that game it actually worked and was interesting.

Nier has better character writing, it has better voice acting in both languages and even automata thinks nier had better music because half the songs are based on things from the first game.
>>
>>388011905
There's also the dungeon that's literally just the mansion from RE1, or the dungeon full of a series of rooms with weird box pushing or combat puzzles where at the end a kid gets a mask and it plays the zelda jingle
>>
>>388011909
so much words wasted on nothing
>>
>>388012283
You just described this entire board
And with apt levels of grammatical mastery to boot
>>
File: 1502843380454.png (288KB, 553x435px) Image search: [Google]
1502843380454.png
288KB, 553x435px
>>388011909
>takes the take
>>
>>388007623
>hasn't gotten an ending
>Says automata is way better

Kys NuNierFag
>>
>>388011856
A lot in mid and late game. Tons of dialogue options are locked behind hard WIS/INT/CHA requirements. Hell, the best late game content is locked behind these stats.
>>
>>388011909
I loved Nier too, I always thought it was tragic how nobody played it in its day, but I genuinely have no idea how anybody can believe OG was better than Automata. Do you personally just regard it as sacred because you played it first?
>>
I want to play Nier, but I don't have a PS3 or 360. I really hope that it gets released on PC in some manner.
>>
>>388008956
Snow in Summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtR7EkF9vl8
The Incomplete Stone (acapella) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zle1ZfxQc
Grandma (special mention to the version on the tribute album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd1cRmr0WlE )
>>
>>388014584
rpcs3 will probably be able to emulate it at full speed in a year.
>>
>>388011909
automata was my first foray into taro and it was clearly for kids... doesnt help that im 30. will nier actually be adult or more juvenile pseudo philosophy
>>
Did anyone ever go through the game files to look for half finished-abandoned shit? With how much stuff got cut in development, it wouldnt surprise me if Nier still had a bunch of cool stuff on the disc.
>>
>>388015056
Both Nier and Automata are stories about individual characters at their heart. Yes I think it handles its subtext better than N:A ie doesn't directly quote real philosophy which makes people upset.
>>
>>388015007
That would be nice.
>>
>>388015056
>being this pretentious
>>
>>388015254
no dude. taro's ideas were fucking silly. seeing robots dry humping saying "love" was fucking silly. old silly ideas being beaten into your head.
>>
>>388005946
You haven't gotten a single ending yet but claim automata is better? Are you retarded? Also leave the thread before you get spoilered.
>>
>>388005946
>automata is better
>but it's so good
>i'm not finished with it yet

gtfo your casual fuck your opinion is shit
>>
>>388015056
Dude, I'm 32, and in which bizarro reality is N:A in any way appropriate for children?
>>
>>388015056
Name your favourite video game.
>>
>>388007623
>i dont think I've gotten an ended
Are you fucking stupid? Like really why would you make this thread on a game that clearly has "something" going on its plot before even getting one ending.
>>
File: 1466706056321.gif (980KB, 227x221px) Image search: [Google]
1466706056321.gif
980KB, 227x221px
>>388015056
>for kids
wow, just like video games!
>>
So which is actually better, Nier or Nier: Automata?
>>
>>388015913
no gore, sex, violence humans (other than the twins)

>>388016049
*you're
>>
>>388016327
They're Nierly as good as each other.
>>
>>388016278
no. video games are not for kids only.
>>
>>388016327
Both equally good.
>>
>>388016449
ok manchild
>>
>>388016327
I really like both of the games, but I see no point in insisting on comparing them
>>
>>388016523
so you agree automata was for kids? good
>>
>>388016715
of course it was, just like the first. because they're both videogames.
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.