[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did /v/ think of Shadowrun Dragonfall? I'm interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7

What did /v/ think of Shadowrun Dragonfall?

I'm interested because I think I kind of hated it.
>>
I didn't like it much. I liked the world, I was neither here nor there on the sytems but I really disliked all the characters and that ruined it for me.

Oh and I think the whole in the internet thing is awful and cringy.
>>
>>387987267
What was wrong with it? It was better than most modern crpgs
>>
>>387987267
>I think I kind of hated it.
How can you be that uncertain about your opinion?
>>
>>387987618
What was wrong with the characters? They were pretty good as games go really. I mean shit, better than you have in stuff like pillars of eternity.
>>
>>387987651
I'd been told by everyone how wonderful it was, and I just didn't get it.
>>
>>387988251

What was so hard to get?
>>
>>387987267

Is there any relation to the new Shadowrun games plot wise? I got Hong Kong in a bundle and I'm looking for an RPG to play. Can I jump in there?
>>
>>387988545
Yeah. Hong Kong's narrative isn't as good, but it had some neat gameplay tweaks that might make it a little weird to go back to Dragonfall later.
>>
>>387987267
I liked it for the most part, though it's probably not something that I'd replay.
>>
I ended up hating it too, I think it came down to lack of audio tracks and just being a boring slog to play through.
>>
>>387988545
Hong Kong is good, you can start with that if you like.

I actually prefer it to Dragonfall.

>>387988903
>just being a boring slog to play through.

This is the big one for me. It reminded me a lot of classic RPGs, in the sense that it turns into eternal shitty combat at the end where you're just fighting and fighting and fighting with nothing to break up the monotony. I didn't actually hate the combat system, but it ended up making me angry at the game just for how much you had to do it.

That and by the end I felt like there was nothing I had gained from the characters other than "I have a new ability now". I thought that playing as a Troll might change the relationship with Eiger, but no. It's the same shit.
>>
>>387987267
I enjoyed returns but I can't seem to force myself to go past the prologue because I just want to do all the things at the same time.
>>
>>387989247
Returns sucked. The only way it was good is if you hadn't played any other one.
>>
>doing Glory's quest now
>music, art style, graphics is so fucking comfy
>not playing the game because i don't want to finish it

10/10
>>
>>387989392
You're right, you don't want to finish it. If you're enjoying it right now just stop and keep the good memories.
>>
>>387989279
Precisely yes. I started with Returns and really wanted to dive into Dragonfall but I still can't.
Gotta go back sometimes.
I also own Hong-Kong but I'll play it after Dragonfall.

Though I wouldn't say Returns sucks so much as its really limited. Its only good for a single playthrough.
>>
>>387989512
The prologue of Dragonfall is pretty bad. The ending is pretty bad too.

The middle bit is worth it though. Just don't spec into a character that's not good at fighting.
>>
>>387989591
Yeah, I just want to play as a character that can get the most dialogue options and still wreck shit because I don't want to spend too much time on the pointless bits. Not too sure how though.
>>
>>387989741
You're fucked, basically. The problem is that charisma is linked to shaman. Shaman is a fucking terrible class that isn't worth shit in fights, and you WILL be in fights, even if charisma lets you avoid a couple.

Also, all that charisma does is give you the opportunity to have knowledge, such as "street", "corporate", "security". So even if you want to talk your way round all the fights you can't, because you won't have the required knowledge.
>>
My problem was that it relies way too heavily on specific requirements, and if you don't have them there's no way to do a thin
>>
>Give that charity guy all the money he needs
>It has no bearing on anything whatsoever

So what was the fucking point of having him there
>>
>>387989836
Good thing I don't play that kind of game on hard, it would be a pain in the ass. I did play a shaman in Returns, though it was kind of a frankenclass with point as needed.

Which class is the most combat capable? Better to split the difference and go for what appropriate, work around the rest.
>>
>>387990034
The Ork? If you give him enough money he talks about how he was able to save lives when everything goes to hell.
>>
File: 1418488813802.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1418488813802.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
Yeah I really couldn't get the hype around it too.
The story progression turned me off because it reminded me way to much of Mass Effect with the base/hub thing you have to run through each time and talk to the same characters again and again but nobody opens up immediatly because noone likes to talk to you more then 5 minutes and you have to take more jobs so people will talk to your for more 5 minutes about how they got that rash on their ass but they don't tell you why because the game has to tease you but you guess it has something to do with daddy-issues so you get another job....

This fucking killed me.
Also being german and constantly see those forced german words in the dialogue really pulled me out of the immersion.
>>
>want to play thru HK again
>hate Decking
>I'll probably have to put some points anyway because Is0bel is a garbage companion to bring along
>>
The combat is a slog and theres a lot of reading involved but if you can get past the stale fighting and you're not an illiterate retard then you'll enjoy it. Especially if you were already a shadowrun fan
>>
>>387990240
Which means fucking nothing. Good game design would have had him appear to help you at the end during the attack
>>
>>387987267
Best of the trilogy.
>>
>>387991057
He's there for world building and a pat on the back for doing the right thing without expecting a reward for it. Good game design isn't "every NPC is just a vending machine".
>>
>>387990810
The fact it was in Germany seemed to make absolutely no difference to the story too. It could have been anywhere.
>>
>>387991314
It made only sense in the fact that they got a huge fanbase for Shadowrun in Germany.
>>
>>387991314
>>387991674
The fuck are you people talking about, you think the game just invented the flux state? The AMB has been a part of shadowrun lore for ages.
>>
>>387987267

I haven't had the opportunity to finish it yet, but so far so great. Very well-written, tightly designed, I never ever feel like the game is wasting my time. "Shadowrun Returns" got the ball rolling, and Dragonfall is carrying on the winning traditions so far...
>>
>>387991928
Did the game actually need to be there though? Did the flux state make any difference whatsoever to the way things played out?
>>
>>387991057
That's not good design, that's Hollywood-tier trash storytelling. The guy is a humanitarian in a suit who can't scrape together 900 bucks to buy blankets and a VCR, it makes perfect sense that he would be hiding in a building with the bums while your crew of hardened computer criminals fights the paramilitaries in the street.
>>
>>387992915
It influenced the flavor and the kind of missions you'd get. What exactly were you expecting?
>>
>>387987267
I didn't finish it because glory's mission pissed me off, but other than that i thought it was good, liked hong kong much more though. Why did you hate it?
>>
>>387992915
Yes it did because thats where Feuerschwinge appeared. The game is about the first great dragon to be killed, she was killed in Germany, so obviously it should have been set in DC.

Berlin has a shitload of history around it for a secondary city. Its perfect for a game dev to use because a lot of the stuff they need for worldbuilding already exists. Same with Hong Kong, it got its own informative chapter in smuggler havens and Seattle has so much written about it and is so iconic in the game that choosing it for returns was obvious.
>>
>>387987267
Worst one, the story is shit, Glory is the only good character, gameplay is alright.
>>
>>387987618
>disliking dietrich
come on now. I can understand why some would dislike eiger, blitz and glory, but personally i enjoyed them all aside from glory who was meh for me
>>
>>387992915

Well, the plot wound up being 'stop the dude trying to kill all dragons', and there is only one place in the world there could be a captive dragon to experiment on, so yeah.
>>
File: 2v1zQ1d.jpg (377KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2v1zQ1d.jpg
377KB, 1920x1080px
What other elves+hightech game, medai, book done right can one recommend? No warhammer please
>>
I loved it. I had no idea people here hated it.
>>
>>387990034
better question is what's the point of giving money to the street hooker?
>>
>>387993068
No. It's chekhov's gun, you don't put something there if it's going to have zero relevance to what goes on. It's just a money sink that could be completely ignored, so all it serves to do is take money away from the player.

I was playing a troll so I figured I'd play it as the troll caring about his own kind. I thought being an ork or troll would let you get inside and talk to the people or something. At least let me go and talk to the humanis kid, or the addict ork. No, though. It just sits there having no bearing on anything at all.
>>
>>387993354
They should've had her leave you a little token if you gave her money each and every time you could, because she'd know that you'd check on her typical location during the assault. Maybe a little note with just "Thanks for everything." on it.

It's usually pretty good about stuff like there, but there's some striking gaps here and there.
Like even if you're an accomplished Shaman in HK, you apparently have no idea what a Toxic Shaman is and have to ask Gobbet about it during one of her lessons.
>>
>>387993198
Blitz was really annoying with his gf bullshit. Reminded me of a Steam friend who would always start talking randomly about his ex while I was trying to play games. Also I always told this guy to stop trying to go after his ex and he still did it.
>>
>>387993645
Funny how there was no payoff at the end either. Just an "oh well".
>>
So you're all saying the writing is really good except from when it isn't?
>>
>>387993868
Personally I found the game really good from beginning to end. Except maybe the ending could vary a bit for a change.
>>
>>387993985
You enjoyed the final mission? Seriously? Writing aside I can't see how anyone liked htat.
>>
Hong Kong was much better
>>
File: mehhh.png (151KB, 341x314px) Image search: [Google]
mehhh.png
151KB, 341x314px
It wasn't my cup of tea either. I've always wanted a real shadowrun game, not garbage like this.
>>
>play very hard
>miss
>miss
>miss
Fucking hell
>>
Loved it. Replaying it right now, gonna do HK next but I'm already bummed they dropped it for fucking Battletech.
>>
File: Backerpc_elffemale_maitzimaka.png (156KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
Backerpc_elffemale_maitzimaka.png
156KB, 212x278px
Share your favourite portraits
>>
>>387994915
I know people like to complain about xcom style games and stats bullshit, but this was the only time I've actually got angry over it. Grenades miss EVERY TIME, meanwhile enemies have some sort of laser guided shit because even when they "miss" they still hit all my guys.

That and I was playing physical adept. How is it possible for me, a massive fucking troll punching another troll to miss three times in a fucking row? I'd assumed that unarmed would mean you have no chance to miss but the damage would be lower. Instead, there's almost a guarantee to miss and the damage is fucking nothing when you do hit.
>>
>>387987267
Dragonfall has the story and characters, but Hong Kong has the gameplay.
>>
>>387995689
The characters suck in Dragonfall though.Glory is the only one with any interesting things and even then it doesn't really go anywhere.
>>
It was good, I enjoyed it. But, I prefer Hong Kong so much more, even though it's weaker in a lot of ways.
Hong Kong balance between action and dialogue was off. When you compete a mission it was such a dump of dialogue, and talking about dreams is never fun, but in real life, not in games. I like the idea of a whole part of a city feeling wrong and cursed tho. I prefer the companions in HK more, DF have good ones too, but HK ones feel a bit more varied and ragtag-ish. Isobel can fuck off.
The music in HK is so good, I absolutely love it. Which might be a huge reason why I prefer HK, that and I had a thing for Hong Kong as a teen.
Also, better magic and a fucking monofilament whip. I'll never understand why it took them 3 games to introduce the most iconic tabletop Shadowrun weapon
>>
>>387995256
The Chinese elf in SRHK
>>
I'm playing it right now and I'm enjoying it a lot more than vanilla Shadowrun Returns. Just wish the characters from the team were more interesting.
>>
>>387995905
You'll like Hong Kong more if you want good characters.
>>
>>387995846
How is the tabletop?
>>
Was thinking of trying these games, which should I start with?

Also what's wrong with this Isobel character?
>>
>>387993642
To be fair, you have been locked up for 7 years, and are in your early - mid 20s when you arrive in HK. The shaman stuff you learned in Seattle a long time ago might be different and lacking
>>
>>387996075
start with returns because you won't like it after playing dragonfall and hong kong
>>
>>387996075
From the first game and she can be annoying.
>>
>>387996192
>>387996224
Thanks.
>>
>>387996069
It's been so long since I payed it, like 13-14 years. But it was fun, and even though you needed an insane amount of dice, the combat had so much modifiers and stuff, and decking even more. But you had a lot of options in terms of character creation. The fluff was great, and while the awakening (when magic, orcs, elves etc emerged) sounds so retarded, they somehow managed to make it work.
>>
>>387996539
Is it like WoD style where you need 10xD10?
>>
>>387990810
Do you get triggered when anons say something is/was kino?
>>
>>387996192
I didn't like returns at all. Unless they changed the last mission, which was so retarded.
>>387996529
Go play dragonfall first, then Hong Kong. If you want more, then play return. It's by far the weakest in the series
>>
>>387997251
I really don't understand why people keep saying Returns is the worst, it has the best hub with the best motivation, money/old buddy. Not to mention noir detective fun.
>>
Are there any good custom campaigns?
>>
>>387997507

It made non-combat builds even more useless than Dragonfall/HK, side characters are completely forgettable, LMAOBUGS story was stupid.
>>
>>387989741
There's more than enough points to essentially max Charisma (stop at 6) while picking up all the good etiquettes.

You can pretty much go with Body, one offensive skill, one utility skill, and Charisma and end up great.
>>
>>387997907
The bugs story was as dumb as a dragon and demons. It wasn't so side character oriented that's for sure, but I remember the random hub people/detective/morgue guy more than dragonfall folk for example. The builds I really can't comment since I always fought.
>>
>>387995846
>>387996224
Come on, man. I thought I'd hate Is0bel from the start, but I ended up loving her. I played adept so I had to take her on almost every mission and she's really fucking adorable. Started seeing her as an edgy teenager who's just immature enough to do the tough act without really succeeding.
>>
>>387990034
It does affect the story slightly. If you didn't give him the money when the neighborhood is attacked more people will die because they had nowhere safe to flee to.
>>
>>387998489
I was ambivalent towards her, and then the decker convention mission happened and I wanted to slap her shit in.
>>
Reminder that netflix is making a movie that might as well be shadowrun
basically mutated humans have popped out and the world has started to adjust to the new races. Then out of the blue, magic becomes a thing and shit gets wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

I think it worth a look into for shadowrun fans
that elf in a suit looks like he came straight from the games/tabletops
>>
>>387989279
Isn't there a Hong Kong UGC that is Returns but with a crew and all the gameplay tweaks from Hong Kong in it?
>>
>>387996183
If you've been locked up for 7 years you haven't even encountered Bugs in the time it takes place.
>>
>>387997723
Nope
>>
>>388000498
Sounds neat by the Netflix thing puts me off.
>>
>>388001168
Think of it like this man
Whenever Netflix makes something they roll a 1d20
most of the times its mediocre/decent
sometimes its just full off shit
this tho
this feels like a nat 20
>>
>>388000686
But I'm remembering correctly? I remember talking to the cydoc about the bugs in Seattle. But only from the news. And you aren't playing the same character in the games
>>
>>387987267
>2017
>Playing Shadowrun
Why?
The series, hell, the fucking franchise was never good. The only good part about Shadowrun is German /tg/ community around the tabletop game, since they produce fan-content that is better than the official games.
But they are still simply polishing a turd
>>
>>387997190
Not him, but considering kino refers to BUILDING, it kinda irks me.
>>
>>387987267
I fucking loved it, same with Hong Kong. You just need to know what to expect going in.
>>
>>388001586
Fug you 4e was perfect
>>
File: zzzz.png (156KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
zzzz.png
156KB, 212x278px
>>387995256
I know you're trolling, but pic rel.
>>
>>388001718
You're thinking about a kinoplex mate.
>>
Remember, taking a deal with a dragon is a good move
>>
I recently finished it around a month back. I enjoyed it but I was ready for it to be over by the time I got to the ending. I didn't see the point of the APEX interaction because I freed it and let it go but I betrayed it and lied when I said I would give the Dragon to it.
>get phone call
>suddenly ominous atmosphere and visual
>nothing ever happens
>no consequence at all
Okay.
>>
>>388001949
if you want to get absolutely fucked
>>
>you will never have dirty garbage sex with Gobbet
>>
>>387990034
He names the shelter after you
>>
It's fucking great. I'm not particularly a fan of crpgs and had not played any shadowrun games before. The game completely delivers on every front. Not perfectly, of course, but to make a very enjoyable experience.
>>
>>388002269
>names shelter after shadowrunner
this seems like a bad idea
>>388001949
t. Lofwyr
>>
>>388002068
>>388002417
Come on, just take the deal with the dragon
>>
I unironically believe that if they had spent more time on developing the technical side of the game, thus making it more like Baldur's Gate or the early Fallouts, Dragonfall and Hong Kong would be heralded as classics nowadays.

The setting and characters are done superbly and the combat is just all right, nothing too revolutionary. The UI is sort of shit though, same with bare-bones character progression.

I'm hoping that they'll get back to Shadowrun once that mech game is completed and they'll give us something in the same vein while adressing the above issues.
>>
File: 1500818870291.jpg (42KB, 604x412px) Image search: [Google]
1500818870291.jpg
42KB, 604x412px
>>388001949
>>388002527
>>
>>387987267
I liked it. It was definitely shallow since it was made for mobile but I liked the characters, story and world. It was my first experience with Shadowrun. I still have Hong Kong on my backlog.
>>
I've only played SNES Shadowrun and all other ones are just sitting in my Steam library untouched, I should do something about that.
>>
>>388001949
>>388002527
>>388002832
I LOVE Lofwyr!
>>
>>388001949
Dragons must die.
>>
>>387987267
best one of the CRPG revival

still has problems though
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.