[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please explain to me why this controller is so beloved?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 51CdKCZnG3L.jpg (35KB, 500x403px) Image search: [Google]
51CdKCZnG3L.jpg
35KB, 500x403px
Can someone please explain to me why this controller is so beloved?

It's great for smash but that's about it for me.
The z trigger is stiff and useless, the dpad is mushy and is way too small, the analog stick is convex instead of concave.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible controller but I can't see the love for this thing and I owned a gamecube. There are far better controllers Nintendo and other companies produced.
>>
>the analog stick is convex instead of concave
As it should be. Convex with texture.
>>
I guess it was the first stick-equipped controller to not be a bit of a fuck up. Nowadays, though, the Xbox Elite controller's the best out there.
>>
>>387977985
I admit, that one's a bit more of a preference to me, and it is well built, but anything convex would be better than that.
>>
Fuck, I even hate it for smash. The button placements are awkward as shit.
>>
>>387977809
For me, it's just comfortable to hold in my hands.
One large reason I see is that the face buttons are unique and distinguishable from one another besides color and symbol, contrary to a Dualshock or Xbox controller. This is down to personal preference, but I like it in most games.

>>387978429
The reason it's so beloved for Smash is because you should be focused on the screen instead of looking at your controller, which is where the button shapes come in, so you can feel which buttons you're pressing.
>>
>>387979086
who the fuck needs to look at their controller to know what they're pressing? oh right, you're talking about smash players
>>
>>387979086
What? That's a dumb reason. It's still in use because people prefer wired controllers due to lower input lag and the ol' cube controller is what many are used to.
>>
>>387979086
>For me, it's just comfortable to hold in my hands.
this. I still hate that the L&R buttons aren't actual triggers, and that there aren't two L/R buttons (the squish-click combo doesn't do it for me), and that the c-stick has no head, , and that they made the X/Y buttons grey, but dammit if it's not nice to hold
>>
Its a decent controller at best the d pad is too damn small and it coulve had a secon z button, only reason its beloved is because of smash and nostalgia.
>>
>>387979654
>>387979757
That's the reason though. Maybe my wording isn't perfect, but people Gamecube's button layout to that of a standard diamond for Smash.
>>
>>387978429
t. scrub who can't multishine
>>
>>387979086
>For me, it's just comfortable to hold in my hands.
Exactly, not a single controller has been able to equal that level of comfiness.
>>
File: 13564758824.jpg (66KB, 540x473px) Image search: [Google]
13564758824.jpg
66KB, 540x473px
>>387977809
>It's great for smash but that's about it for me.
That's pretty much it. It works great for GameCube games and alright for anything else.
Though, the big glaring flaws here are the tiny d-pad, which is useless for anything but switching weapons in TimeSplitters and even that can be a hassle since it more often than not read up/down inputs when pressing left/right, due to the small size.
The analog triggers are great and the extra button added to them is really neat and intuitive for Mario Sunshine. It works for other games that utilize analog triggers, like F-Zero GX and there really is no problem with it. But, only have one Z button is a detriment for games of the era.
The c-stick is awkward as well. If it was just the same as the left stick, but yellow, it would be a lot better. Don't really get why they made it like that.
The face button layout is fine. Having a SNES diamond layout would probably give it an edge in fighting games, since some of them require you to press any two or even three buttons at once. But I think it works well as is, so there's no real issue with it.
I can't play Melee, Sunshine or F-Zero GX with anything but the GX controller, but I would never use it for other games, even if it probably would be tolerable.
>>
>>387981078
I wish Nintendo would bring the analog triggers back. They missed their chance again with the Switch to include them. Lets hope in the next hardware revision they'll implement it. Someone should open up a petition.
>>
It's actually ass for Smash, too.

It only seems good because the playerbase sticks to it like nothing else exists and shun anything even remotely different.
>>
>>387983748
What other controller is better for Smash?
>>
>>387982606
What's the point of analog triggers?
>>
>>387983748
I play Melee and I disagree. The fact the the triggers let you L cancel with just a slight press is amazing. The buttons being so close and in the order they are allow for easy play. Like for short hop double laser I can just slide my thumb off Y and down to B in one motion and then tap B a second time, very easily. Same with Jump Cancel shine out of shield. Or Short hop aerial out of shield. Or Jump Cancel grabbing out of dash. It's all super easy on the GC controller.
>>
>>387984167
In Melee it allowed you to light shield or hard shield. And you could use the half press to L cancel
>>
>>387977809
Gen 6 nostalgia, simple as that.
>>
>>387977809
Do you really expect any answer other than "It was great when it came out"?

It had more accessible buttons than its competitors, had a really good stick, and was surprisingly comfortable to hold. Even more comfortable than a dualshock controller.

Obviously looking at the successes that have built on earlier designs you can clearly say an XB1 controller is superior. But at the time the GC controller was fucking great compared to the "Duke" that only gets loved now as a nostalgia circlejerk or the PS2 dualshock that broke pretty frequently and wasn't comfortable to hold, or of course the N64 controller that had a limited use lifespan that would send you buying new ones.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.