[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just beat 1 for he first time and it was super predictable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2386.jpg (78KB, 1024x694px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2386.jpg
78KB, 1024x694px
So I just beat 1 for he first time and it was super predictable and all, but I'm not hear to talk about the story, just the wasted character potential. Basically none of the Ultimate abilities were used except for the first trial basically where Leon did his shit.
No high stakes gambling
No writing
No swimming
No fucking anything except the protags luck and the detective work, which was on the same level as fucking Byakuyas. Might as well have scrapped the Ultimate idea.
>>
Yeah, 2 continues in the same manner. Characters only show off their skills during character-building scenes, but they have no real relevance in trials. I still find DR games enjoyable but they're poorly written.
>>
Second game handles it slightly better
>>
>>387973039
That's DR for you. The series ripes itself in horrible writing and colorful artwork and wacky character interactions.

DR can be dumb fun but even after playing both games and watching both sides of the anime I can't figure out if it's taking itself seriously or not.
>>
File: 1500932096836.jpg (2MB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1500932096836.jpg
2MB, 1200x1650px
I love Junko!
>>
>>387973236
>>387973259
>>387973370
Is the second game in general better? I pushed myself to beat this one, but half the time I was skipping through the dialogue because I knew everything. I'm not even a smart person, much less smart than the average mystery game player, but it's like you either get everything and it becomes boring and bloated or don't get it and it becomes aggravating and offputting.

A hard balance to find I guess. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? I got 1 . 2 reloaded for cheap so it's not a big deal to me.
>>
>>387973650
I personally like the cast better, though a lot of people disagree. I will say without spoiling anything that the ending is a let-down. If you didn't like the first one, there's very little chance of you liking the second.
>>
>>387973236
Case 2, 4, 6 and especially case 5 in DR2 beg to differ with you anon.
>>
>>387973759
How long would you say it is? Maybe I can push past it just to kill time. Feels weird just to drop something like this ya know?
>>
>>387973892
I think it took me around 14 hours or so. first one took me about 7 for reference. Depends on reading speed, and if you skip text like you said you do then you'll obviously finish it faster.
>>
>>387974265
Disregard, I don't know where I got those numbers from. Just checked my saves, 10 for 1 and 26 for 2. But you get the idea, 2 is a lot longer.
>>
File: mmmm.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mmmm.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Still better than Zero Escape 2-3
>>
>>387973892
It's a little longer than the first one unless you have trouble with the puzzles.

Generally it's agreed upon that all DR endings are shitty but certain individual cases in each game are fantastic.
>>
>>387973650
I think 2 is better in regards to characters. The cast is wackier and funnier, but for the most part all the cases just emulate 1's cases for no reason, not even meta-twists like in MGS2.

What DR2 DOES have which kinda saved it for me though was Monokuma. Monokuma is fucking GREAT in DR2 and the whole game is full of meta jokes and references, which can make it a fun experience from time to time. The last case is also decent, though the gimmicky gameplay is still there.

The terrible writing is still there, but at the very least DR2 has more style.

What are you looking to play right now? If you're looking for a detective kinda thing, you should go for Phoenix Wright instead. It's not like DR2 builds a lot on DR1 (it does, but barely at the end. You won't get to see the outside world in DR1 and the retcons done in DR3 retroactively make both games worse anyway).

As >>387973759 said, if you didn't like 1, you won't like 2. It's also a lot longer (I have 43 hours on DR2 and 23 in DR1) and drags A LOT more.

Why the fuck did I even finish DR2? It took me so long... 40 fucking hours I could've spent playing a Tales game instead.
>>
>>387974721
>s just emulate 1's cases for no reason, not even meta-twists like in MGS2.
But it does it exactly for a meta reason, so you think what happened in chapter 4 was suicide.
>>
>>387974721
Same poster, do note that I have a tendency to leave my games running while I check the interwebs in intermission or while I eat or something like that, so my clocked hours are probably overdone.

Still, DR2 is a lot longer.

>>387974518
Fuck you, VLR was glorious.
>>
>>387974518

VLR is a bonafide masterpiece.
>>
>>387974775
Not really. That expectation is right off the bat when playing a murder mystery and anyway, copying about half or more of your antecessors just to have that one non-twist since it technically wasn't a suicide for Monokuma is still very terrible writing.
>>
File: This IS a game.png (965KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
This IS a game.png
965KB, 1360x768px
>>387974945
>>387974561

Forgot to post some of my screencaps from DR2, damn.
>>
>>387974945
But it was, it's deliberate in copying it and it wants you to assume so, there's a reason everything to the trial in chapter 4 is leading to that and it makes you find the files that very chapter.
>>
>>387974907
>repeats points over and over
>unskippable, repeated explanations in every branch
>shit ending that relies on its sequel
>actually explains nothing of worth
It was completely unecessary and shouldn't have been related to 999, which was perfectly standalone.
>>
>>387974907
M I N D H A C C C C C C C
killed both zero escape and dangitronpaul
>>
>>387973039
Why would writing or swimming ever happen in the context of a killing game?
>>
File: Ace Attorney.png (1MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ace Attorney.png
1MB, 1360x768px
>>387975161
Granted, it didn't need to be in the same universe as 999, doesn't make it a bad game though.

>>387975070
It's still a shit reason to copy so much from the first game.
>>
>>387975463
The only thing that was really copied was that the third case had two murders.
>>
>>387973039
>Ultimate
>not super duper high school _____
Trust me, the sequel will utilize them a lot more
especially hopeman
>>
File: chi25.jpg (337KB, 705x1000px) Image search: [Google]
chi25.jpg
337KB, 705x1000px
>>387973650
The fifth case in sdr2 is such a wild ride. That alone made the entire game more memorable than the first one. But if you had to push yourself to beat the first one, you probably won't like the second one as much
>>
>>387975419
Call me nitpicky but why the fuck didn't they just call it mind control? Mind hack sounds fucking stupid.
>>
>>387976805
I really liked case 5, favorite in the series.
>>
>>387975463
Luckily V3 kind of stops the case structure
Case 3 is still a double murder though
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.