[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't all indie games free? Why do indie devs feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 1366669537996.png (103KB, 198x199px) Image search: [Google]
1366669537996.png
103KB, 198x199px
Why aren't all indie games free? Why do indie devs feel that their games have any monetary value?
>>
Monetary value is decided by the audience and customers. If a guy grows potatoes in his backyard and sets up a small market table later on selling them, would he have to give them away for free as well?
>>
>>387908904
t. poorfag
go complain about your money to a kike you loser
>>
>>387908904
faglord what a nerd dude die in a hoel bitch ass i cant stand people like you
>>
>>387908904

I'd rather pay $10 for a good indie game than any amount of dollars for Yooka Laylee again. At least then the devs might make another good game so I don't buy more shitty ones.
>>
Because people are willing to pay for them. Things are only worth what enough people to be profitable are willing to pay.
>>
>>387908904
>Why do indie devs feel that their games have any monetary value?
Because if ANYONE is willing to pay for it, then it has monetary value.
>>
>>387908904
fuck off poorfag. i hope internet neutrality dies and fucktards like you wont be able to afford to come here anymore.
>>
>>387908904
>inb4 "I was pretending to be retarded kek"
>>
>>387908904
>everything should be free
Leftists really need to be gassed.
>>
>>387909704
this so much
>>
>>387908904
Why aren't food stalls free? Why do roadside chefs feel that their food has any monetary value?
>>
>>387909135
>Monetary value is decided by the audience and customers.

People have already come to terms with the monetary value of indie games early on, which was zero (see games like Cave Story, Tower of Heaven, old Spelunky, Yuume Nikki, and any flash games on Newgrounds, ArmorGames, and elsewhere). But developers in general got greedy and started charging for things that would've been free not too long ago.

Think of it like this: if the guy in your example decides to sell his potatoes in a place that has had people giving out free potatoes that are just as good as his for years, he wouldn't be seen as a reasonable person, would he?
>>
>>387908904
The worst part is everyone of those indie devs are all SJW commietards. Fucking hypocrites.
>>
>>387909704
what? this has nothing to do with political orientation. op is just a fucking entitled baby bitch. chances are since he posts here, he's centrist or right wing anyway
>>
Why aren't AAA games free?
>>
>>387910152
Why do you want developers to be poor?
If you really want free games, make them and post them up
>>
>>387910152
But can you really blame the guy selling potatoes and say he's unreasonable when he's fucking farming potatoes which takes work and it's his potatoes, even if the free potato culture was good?
>>
File: 1495850109923.png (367KB, 1000x727px) Image search: [Google]
1495850109923.png
367KB, 1000x727px
>>387910253
I hate commies but this is the dumbest non-argument and it makes the right look like retarded assholes. Please think about your words and feel regret.
>>
>>387911014
Yes, I can blame him. The other, more-established farmers have been doing it for free, why can't he do it too?
>>
>>387910152
If people are willing to buy them, why does that make him bad?
He's in no way stopping others from giving away their potatoes, nor is he stopping people from taking the free potatoes over his.
>>
>>387910152
>implying current indie games are the same quality as early newgrounds flash games
>implying if anyone ever gives something away for free, then everybody has to give it away for free
>implying people paying for indie games doesn't prove value
Dude if indie games for sale were the same quality as free flash games, nobody would pay for them. You sound like a retard
>>
there are few sentiments that can unite 4chan better than "I deserve things for free!"
>>
>>387909135
>food analogy
>>
>>387911209
Then don't buy from him you Goober.
But if I was him I'd go to every other stall take the free potatoes then sell them.
Why?
Because that's what happens in capitalistic society's. The population pays for what's available, other businesses must compete for the market share and that's how it works.
You spend your whole time giving stuff away for free your business dies.
Now the potato farmer who sells his wares can hire more dudes to farm for him. But better equipment sell even more potatoes and make more money.
>>
>>387910152
theres nothing wrong with selling an indie game for $1-10. $30 is excessive.
>>
>>387911037
How am I wrong?
>>
>>387911037
offtopic but that comic is dumb. It's perfectly fine to respond to generalized whining about this or that with a question about what the particular person is doing about it. The implication is that if you're too lazy to do anything then shut the fuck up.

Now, if the whining is more constructive and in the form of "government agency should implement X" then at least it's an argument
>>
Because people buy them
>>
>>387911209
Because people ARE paying for these games. Why should he give them away for free?

>he won't be taken seriously
Indie devs are taken seriously
>because free games exist
Not of equal quality
>because i feel he should
Your feelings are irrelevant
>its greedy
Making money isn't inherently greedy.

You sound like a twelve year old who can't convince his mom to buy him a steam game. Grow the fuck up or fuck off.
>>
>>387911747
Depends how good it is, and how big the dev team is
>>
>ITT: we don't know what indie means - again
>>
>>387911209
The other dudes were being extra-selfless by giving the potatoes. The new dude is not as based, but then I don't blame a guy who doesn't even make games I mean potatoes at all for not farming for free and yet both aren't giving free potatoes.
>>
>waaah why do i have to pay for indie games????? why do i have to reward people for their hard work
for the current-year scale of this phenomenon and incompetent shitters trying to make a quick buck thank gaben and his video rental store
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.