[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me why people consider this one of the worst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

Can someone tell me why people consider this one of the worst original sonic games ?

Whenever I talk to people they say it's the weakest out of them all but I have to disagree. Not better then 3&k but definitely better then 1 and 2. It's the only game that Robonik actually scared me when I was a kid.
>>
Because poorfags played it when they were much older than the target audience.
>>
>>387892173
so how would you rate it?
>>
>>387891891
Because they don't like it. The wonky physics and sometimes maze-like nature of the levels aren't suited to everybody's tastes.
>>
>>387891891
>It's the only game that Robonik actually scared me when I was a kid.
with that fucking american soundtrack anything could be scary
>>
>>387891891
Weird contrarian shift in opinion. Same as what happened with FFVII. CD was much more highly regarded online in the mid 90s to early 2000s.
>>
The level designs were annoying and poorly thought out despite not being very difficult. The boss fights were gimmicky and pathetic. The final boss was especially underwhelming because the true final boss got cut from the game. Not a bad game but insanely overrated.
>>
The level design is very weird compared to other sonic games and the bosses are just shit, I hated it on my first try just trying to get to the end but if you try to explore it becomes much more fun.
>>
File: 1496235063750.gif (66KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1496235063750.gif
66KB, 350x350px
Gaining momentum for time traveling is bullshit.
>>
Having time travel posts only be usable once was annoying because half the time the levels weren't designed with maintaining high speeds in mind. The collision detection in the special stages was off too due to the shitty framerate.
>>
>>387892290
not him but 7/10
>>
I guess I can see why now. The level design is not built for maxing your speed.

More built for exploration, that's probably why I liked it so much. Seeing the past and bad/good future really put in perspective what Robonik was trying to do and made him an actually threat for once in my eyes.

But fuck the special stages. That shit still sucks today even in the taxman port
>>
>>387891891
It's better than 1 objectively and I prefer it to 2
>>
Isn't sonic cd considered the best one by most people?
>>
>>387894267
it was for years. then more people actually played it.
>>
>>387894267
No. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is.
>>
>>387891891
It has godawful stupid level design and the worst boss battles and worst special stages.

Plus it is severely overhyped.
>>
>>387892657
>the true final boss got cut from the game.

That's the first I hear of this. What was the true final boss supposed to be?
>>
>>387894519
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyXenNOcQJQ
>>
>>387894519
Final Fever. Look it up.
>>
>>387894607
Why didn't Sega let Taxman add this to the CD remaster?
>>
>>387894607
That boss looks like a piece of shit. I'm glad they scrapped it
>>
>>387891891
What? Who the fuck said Sonic CD was bad? It was one of the best next to 3 and K.
>>
I like the game but the leve design is kind of a clusterfuck. You have to run fast long enough to time travel but the level design makes it difficult. It also bothered me how rings clip through the stage at times due to the time travel aspect I assume.

I like the more creative approach to the bosses where you usually only need one hit to kill but the challenge is getting to hit eggman in the first place. Also the music is great
>>
File: 480px-FinalFever_CW[1].jpg (65KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
480px-FinalFever_CW[1].jpg
65KB, 480x360px
>>387894519
Originally, the final boss was to have its own stage, called 'Final Fever' as the final boss music is named. We don't know much else about the original, but Taxman wanted to add in a new final boss for the 2011 port. You'd have to travel through time to damage it, apparently.

>>387894784
>>387894787
It's fanmade. Description even says it was made in Flash.
>>
The game is fucking boring until Wacky Workbench, then there's a spike in quality.
Shouldn't have to play 50% of the game to get to the enjoyable content.
>>
>>387894882
Yes, a spike towards abysmal quality.
>>
>>387894794
>Who the fuck said Sonic CD was bad?
/v/
>>
>>387894848
The thing that pissed me off the most was after FINALLY getting to the past, you could just fall down a path that runs you into a future post, and then just launch you into outer space and you're back in the future.
>>
>>387891891
CD has little room to make you want to go fast if you're trying to time travel and way too much emphasis on exploration. The Bosses are piss easy and mostly forgettable with the exception of Metal Sonic. And the music is meh on either side. Definitely a tie with Sonic 1.
>>
File: 1499309889122.png (78KB, 330x249px) Image search: [Google]
1499309889122.png
78KB, 330x249px
>>387898195
>And the music is meh on either side.
>>
There's literally zero reason to ever go to the future over the past, half of the game's main gimmick is actually a hindrance to you.
>>
>>387891891
>Shitty level design
>Unnecessary gimmick
>Can avoid getting good at the bonus stages (which aren't even hard to begin with with the UFO that always spawns while low on time) by GOTTA GO SLOWing and finding the Metal Sonic projector and machine
>spin dash slower and doesn't work properly as in later titles
>>
>>387891891
>series about fast-paced linear platforming makes a game about slow paced non-linear exploration.
>levels are specifically designed to slow you down so that time travel isn't too easy to pull off.
>levels are specifically designed to be more vertically oriented and open for the sake of exploration.
>Time travel gimmick in general is a waste of time, since you're only "reward" is the good ending and prettier graphics on Act 3.
>going for the Time Stones only lets you experience the Good Future for half of the levels in the game.
>game is painfully short and bare-bones if you ignore the Time Stones and the time travel
>underwhelming final boss and ending

CD is what happens when every level is designed to be like Marble Zone or Labyrinth Zone. It's slow, boring and not worth it.
>>
The levels are less like traditionally structured Sonic levels and more like physics playgrounds, you'll either love that or find it boring.
I'm sure a lot of people also first played it with the US soundtrack, which is less like music and more like vaguely atmospheric instruments just kinda farting around
>>
>GOD TIER
all genesis 2D sonics

>little baby faggot "my first fap was to Rouge" tier
Sonic Adventure and other 3d sonics
>>
The first time I tried playing it like the other Sonic games and it just felt terrible. When I started treating it more as an exploration game it just became better and my consideration for the game has increased substantially.
>>
>>387891891
>why people consider this one of the worst original sonic games
nobody does this
not even \Vee\ is that retarded, save from a few contrarian fags
>>
>>387894607
That's fan made trash, not a boss intended for the original game.
>>
>play CD
>hate the bonus stages and find the game kind of lacking
>play CD HD
>love the bonus stages and place it as one of my favourite Sonic games
I don't know what changed, but there was only like 5 years between playing the original and the HD remake, so I don't think it is just nostalgia. Shame they didn't let Taxman add the cut level and final boss.
>>
the bosses are some of the most inventive in the original series
the level design is fantastic fuck everyone else, the way different paths emerge based on what timeline your in and the secret metal sonic projectors give you a game 5 times more replayable than Sonic 1 - 3&K
plus plenty of new gimmicks in each stage that don't wear out their welcome (wacky workbench is great, git gud)
even the underwater stage is great

also that fucking soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_NcMZ3xcQ
i feel sorry for burgers who missed out on this
>>
The future was utterly pointless.
There's no fucking reason to go there beyond the music and you automatically hear it in act 3 so even then it doesn't matter.
>>
>>387892893
Most levels have two bounce pads next to each other for easy time traveling however.
>>
>>387892893
literally what the super peel out is for
>>
>>387891891
WORK THAT FUCKING ASS
COME ON NOW
>>
This is actually my favorite Sonic game. Best soundtrack, trippy visuals and awesome villain. Boss fights are kinda easy and level design can sometimes be confusing, but it still has a charm that other Sonic games don't have.
>>
Waited years to try out the Sega PC windows version. Not awful, but underwhelming compared to the other Genesis classics.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.