[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I alone in thinking that having optional, missable conversations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: Ff8_logo.png (283KB, 650x529px) Image search: [Google]
Ff8_logo.png
283KB, 650x529px
Am I alone in thinking that having optional, missable conversations with NPCs with deep lore information was a fucking brilliant idea?

It felt like you were unraveling a mystery. You heard only vague stuff about that huge war and witches and then you had to travel the world to find out the truth. FF8 doesn't get enough credit.
>>
I only cared about stuff like this when I was young and growing up in a poor family so I literally had one game to hold me over for months.
>>
>>387865537
What I meant is when you talken to NPCs in FF8 they sometimes really discusses history, politics and philosophy with you.

This was a refreshing departure from the standard JRPG crap like: "Welcome to our town stranger!"
>>
>>387865287

>Am I alone in thinking that having optional, missable conversations with NPCs with deep lore information was a fucking brilliant idea?
No. It's what made FFVIII one of the few FF games that requires exploration. People often think Zell or Selphie are bland characters since they don't get a huge backstory. But they do have a backstory. You just have to talk to all the people in their home town/garden.

If you like that kind of thing, then basically all of Dragon Quest and Suikoden is something you should play.
>>
>>387865537
same here
as a kid i had time but no games
as an adult i have games but no time
>>
>>387865287
Yeah FF8 was pretty good in this aspect, definitely helps that it had a much better translations than FF7. The Trails series is also really good for this just about every NPC in the game has unique dialogue that changes after every story event. Some with their own little individual stories to follow.
>>
>>387866524

>definitely helps that it had a much better translations than FF7.
It actually had just as bad, if not a worse translation. "Whatever" is a meme that only applies to the western translation for example.
>>
>>387866880
Yeah in Japanese it is probably closer to "It doesn't matter" or "It is irrelevant."

I don't understand why they chose "whatever". It sounds cringey.
>>
File: shikamaru.jpg (20KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
shikamaru.jpg
20KB, 320x240px
>>387867831

Or "what a pain".

Squall makes a lot more sense when you realize his personality is more like Shikimaru. Not Sasuke like he's presented in the western translation.
>>
>>387865537
And now you're an adult who has shiteater taste in 8-hour Hollywoodified FMV-movies that masquerade as "games"
>>
>>387868157
Imagine having only JRPGs in your childhood. Anyone would go nuts.

I am so glad I had Spyro 3.
>>
>>387866524
Damn Trails has really an adorable artstyle. Kind of like Ragnarok online. Will definitely check it out.
>>
File: e84ef.jpg (212KB, 904x707px) Image search: [Google]
e84ef.jpg
212KB, 904x707px
>>387867831
>>387867980

Squall's Japanese dialogue is so diverse, I was actually quite shocked. In fact, a lot of his responses were pretty funny "straight man" responses in tsukkomi situations, against Selphie for instance, but the US version seems to have patched "Whatever" over all of them, which is lazy and literally changed the character.
>>
File: FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg (102KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg
102KB, 500x500px
>>387869038

Yup. People still overlook how much can change through a translation. FF fans are going to get a huge dose of cold water when the FFVII remake comes out and it lacks all their favorite cheesy lines and Cloud becomes a super serious loner.
>>
File: FF_Google_translate.png (509KB, 799x599px) Image search: [Google]
FF_Google_translate.png
509KB, 799x599px
>>387869368

Yeah, despite the typos and misspellings, at least FF7's English translation stayed somewhat faithful to the original spirit.

FFT on the other hand...
>>
File: war of lions.jpg (127KB, 998x599px) Image search: [Google]
war of lions.jpg
127KB, 998x599px
>>387869572
Its one of the reason why I mod it to have the psp script instead
>>
File: deargod.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
deargod.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>fug me, Squeel
>no Quickstix
>i muss fug Binoa
>wai
>i dunno lol
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.