[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never played an Isometric RPG. Which one should I play? Is Pillars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: file.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1280x720px
Never played an Isometric RPG. Which one should I play? Is Pillars of Eternity good? Or should I go for a classic like Baldur's Gate? Are the old ones of these styles of games too dated?

Gimmie your recs /v/
>>
>>387846381
I really don't know
>>
Pillars of Eternity is really good and it's all modernized and streamlined (while still being very challenging)
I suggest you give it a try to start off
>>
>>387846381
Pillars of Eternity is okay but make sure you check out the combat and understand what it is before you buy it. Either you like the combat in PoE or you hate it. It was the ladder for me, the constant pausing made it feel awful.

Divinity Original Sin : Enhanced Edition is worth checking out also.
>>
>>387846540
I really like Dragon Age Origins and have been looking for something similar to that. I figure these are a bit more complex but they are similar right?
>>
Icewind dale 2
>>
File: Tyranny-Packshot2.jpg (552KB, 1606x1099px) Image search: [Google]
Tyranny-Packshot2.jpg
552KB, 1606x1099px
>>387846381
I played a good chunk of PoE but ended up dropping it for whatever reason, lack of interest I think, or maybe just time.

I did get really into Tyranny though and played it through start to finish over a couple of long ass sessions.
>>
>>387846381
Fallout 1 is amazing. Lots of people like 2 better but I hated it.
>>
diablo 2, the fallouts, that one steampunk one with the crashed zeppelin(i cant remember the name)

baldur's gate is overrated desu
>>
>>387847010
arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura is the name. This is the only one that might be dated to you. the fallouts are still really good in 2017 once you get used to the interface, and diablo 2 of course could never get old(it may not count as to what you are looking 4 tho)
>>
>>387846381

Pillars of Eternity is good, I found it better than BG because it's more modernized in the right ways, and has more roleplaying-based interactions. Just a word of warning, it's poorly optimized and runs on the Unity "engine" and in particular the loading times are horrific. I came very close to getting burned out in one play through because even the most trivial area transitions had up to ten second loading times and more. When you take into account the amount of moving between areas you have to do in quests, I think I easily spent 25-50% of my actual playtime staring at loading screens.

The sequel, PoE: deadfire is coming out soon and I swear if the loading screens are longer than 3 seconds on average I will be refunding the game.
>>
File: 1349897688464.gif (495KB, 194x172px) Image search: [Google]
1349897688464.gif
495KB, 194x172px
>>387846678
my nigga
>>
File: nox6.webm (3MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nox6.webm
3MB, 1024x768px
>>387846381

nox
>>
>>387846381
Shaowrun dragonfall is a relatively modern one that has gotten some decent acclaim. Great story and characters.
underrail is another one I recommend. Game is hard as shit and you can easily fuck up tho. No party members iirc
>>
Does that new Divinity count because that shit is lit
>>
Just start with Dragon Age Origins.
>>
>>387848721
I really hated that fucking game. like a fantasy version of mass effect without the only redeeming quality of that game, the shooting
>>
>>387848721
OP here, I played Origins and loved it. Heard it was similar to these types of games so I'm looking for recommendations.
>>
>>387846381
Foxhole.
Anything is possible with some autism.
>>
>>387848895
If you want to go more primitive then Fallout 2 is pretty fun. But many of the older games, including Fallout 2, have turn based combat so it's an acquired taste.
>>
Pillars of Eternity is a good place to start because it's Real Time and it's modern.
>>
>>387846381
dogshit of eternity sucks ass
>>
>>387848721
I've started origins as a mage twice and burned out by the end of the first arc both times. I'm thinking of giving it one more go but I'm not sure what to do to make it fun. I'm unconvinced that playing a 2H tank would actually be fun, nor that I would want to play the mage origin yet again to rush arcane warrior.
>>
>>387846381
Fallout
>>
File: Geneforge_2017-08-21_21-21-34.png (437KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Geneforge_2017-08-21_21-21-34.png
437KB, 800x600px
>>387846381
Playing through Geneforge and soon the sequels right now
>Just a bit ago I stumbled upon a room at the top of Kazg Ruins with lots of mines in it but a lever that will open a nearby door and a cabinet on the other side
>Have no mechanics skill to disarm them and I'm a squishy shaper with no health to walk over all of them easily
>Try to bruteforce the rng hoping the mines only do 10 damage each so I can heal myself in between and reloading my save if it doesn't
>After 20 tries I finally get to the other side
>Two shitty pods I have a thousand of already but it's okay I can use that lever now
>Use the lever and enter the door it just opened
>I enter the door alone because I know it's going to be a canister
>Battle Alpha standing right inside immediately walks up and punches me fucking face off killing me instantly before I even realize what happened
>I didn't save
It was so bullshit I started laughing. I miss this kind of shit you can only find in these kinds of games. It's really fun, I wish I had actually beaten it like 10 years ago when I first got it.
>>
>>387850792
good lord use the ui mod http://www.moddb.com/mods/geneforge-1-graphics-enhancement
>>
>>387847010
>baldur's gate is overrated
kill yourself
>>
>played BG1
>couldn't get into it
>tried PoE
>so-so on it
>get to the gilded vale and the first companion
>really disliking the game despite barely playing it
>stick with it up to the keep
>the entire situation hooked me immediately
Sticking your nose in feuding siblings is always fun. I also really liked when the main story began to open up since I thought the concept was interesting.
>>
>>387848923
iirc they had a joke poem on a gravestone about a guy jumping off a cliff after discovering he had sex with a tranny. a few certain cretins pressured them into removing the joke from the game. that's literally it.
>>
>>387850890
I think the snot green is very charming desu. Though I kind of wonder what they were thinking here.
>>
>>387850896
Not an argument. Not him, but every time I ask someone to explain why it's so good it basically boils down to "it's good because it's good!" Saying the story/writing is great doesn't mean anything if you can't elaborate on why it's great. The story is usually the only thing people use to claim why it's so good anyways.
>>
File: Coke_cat.jpg (26KB, 300x326px) Image search: [Google]
Coke_cat.jpg
26KB, 300x326px
>>387847736
Mah Nigga!
>>
File: 1498013894359.jpg (50KB, 621x1028px) Image search: [Google]
1498013894359.jpg
50KB, 621x1028px
>>387850792
I love the Geneforge games, especially the first and the second. But the first is my favorite by far simply due to the feeling of being lost on an island with no idea wtf is going on.

And then I became a vengeful god and killed everyone and everything before leaving the island and the ending reflecting my power hungry ways.
>>
>>387850896
>LOL KYS

Wow, you sure showed him with that infallible argument.
>>
>>387846764
I'm exactly the same way. Idk what was wrong with 2, but I just can't get into it at all. 1 on the other hand is an incredible experience that I love to death
>>
>>387846381
Fallout 1 is the best place to start. It's super easy and only like 4 hours long. Baldur's Gate 2 is GOAT, but get a feel for the genre first. >>387847736 and >>387850792 are also good suggestions. I also recommend Arcanum and Planescape: Torment.
>>
>>387846381
Dragon Age: Origins is the perfect entry level isometric rpg.
>>
>>387851975
>4 hours long
wut
>>
>>387852432
>isometric
>>
>>387852587

I'm presuming he's saying if you know all the metagame information and just rush the main quest...
>>
Fallout 1 and 2 (maybe Tactics)
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Arcanum (my personal favorite isometric RPG)
Planescape: Torment
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 (Not really RPGs, but more of hack n slash games)
>>
>>387852587
You can clear the vast majority if not completely 100% all of Fallout 1 in 4 hours if you don't fuck around too much. At most it should take 10 hours. Last time I went through it took me 6ish hours because I genocided every ghoul I saw, but I successfully did literally everything there was to do in the game as well. Fallout as a franchise is pretty much baby's first RPG. You guys idolize it waaaaay too much.
>>
>>387852860
Nah if you do that it's like 15 minutes long.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.