[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is /v/ incapable of appreciating any story that is thematic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

Why is /v/ incapable of appreciating any story that is thematic? Like all people do is talk about the timelines and chronology in this story when that's not at all the fucking point of the story.

Is it because you're a bunch of immature teenagers who don't know shit about art? I hate gamers.
>>
>>387839187
>metal gear exists
>>
>>387839260
Metal Gear does exist but everyone on /v/ talks about the characters and narratives of Metal Gear which is COMPLETELY fucking irrelevant
>>
Alright then eisenstien what's the themes of the story
>>
>>387839308
the characters of metal gear are some of the more interesting parts of metal gear, there's so many complex and interesting characters across the whole series. it's dumb to think people wouldn't want to discuss that.
>>
>>387839379
The ending in particular is asking the player to critically analyze Infinite in the Bioshock series as well as "Bioshock" as a capital product. It shows the player the formula in play, talks about how repetitious and played out it truly is "always a man and a lighthouse"

in addition the illusion of choice throughout the game similarly serves as a commentary on linear adventures and almost a criticism of Bioshock's saccharine "good v bad" mechanics with the Little Sisters
>>387839483
Fuck no, what's important is what the Patriots stand for, what The Boss symbolizes, etc
>>
>>387839187
What is the point of that story?
>>
>>387839605
i'm not saying that it's not important, but from a design standpoint, and their personalities, the characters stand out in people's memories.

plus every man and his dog has already talked about that one speech at the end of MGS2

also infinite really isn't that deep
>>
>>387839910
I'm not saying it's GOAT tier in its approach, I just think it's definitely a step above most other AAA games from its time (still the 7th console generation). The only other comparable games were ones by more AA style developers.
>>
ok /v/ continue to be BTFO you fucking teenagers
>>
>>387839605
That still doesn't make sense. The concept of infinite dimensions is just tacked on 3/4 through the game and the message is unclear. Zelda could use an ending like that, not bioshock.
>>
>>387840027
infinite really did not seem like the kind of game to try and have a deep theme, it just seems coincidental, it certainly didn't sell its self or feel like that throughout the whole game.

i think someone did an english lit major and went overboard tbqh
>>
>>387840478
It's kind of hard to gradually, totally build up to that kind of revelation.
>>
finally a smart game for smart gamers
>>
>>387839187
Partly, and partly that a game like Bioshock really isn't that deep.
>>
Remember that card
>>
>>387840706
Wait a minute...
>>
Wait a minute that card...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

But if it makes you feel better, Bioshock itself was a terrible meme game that poorly aped the juggernaut of a FPS/RPG hybrid itself, System Shock 2. So Infinite being awful wasn't surprising in the slightest.
>>
>>387839187
>all people do is talk about the timelines and chronology in this story when that's not at all the fucking point of the story
This is a first.
Go on, this could be quite funny, if you can go the entire way with this charade...
>>
Anyone trying to expressly make "art" ends up making anything but art. That is the problem with games like Bioshock Infinite, they didn't want to make a bioshock game, they wanted to peddle some short story.

To harp on the MGS posts let me add this caveat. The games are so close (possibly the closest) at being considered art and not "art." Kojima wanted to make a stealth action game and all the story shenanigans arise from wanting to make a stealth action game and how the player would interact within that world. In bioshock infinite they wanted to make a time paradox story but had a bioshock game engine. The two CAN go hand in hand but don't.

MGS even did the time paradox thing better by recognizing it as an element of asynchronous game design. The paradox reveals itself TO THE PLAYER, not to the characters. It did more in a single throwaway "gag" element than an entire game attempting to do it in earnest.
>>
>>387839187
>art is about muh themes rather than aesthetics and craft

Looks like you need to brush up yourself kid
>>
>>387839187
But thats not what anyone fucking asked for. The scrapped story was what we wanted.
>>
>>387842185
>>387842319
>im 18 and STEM but i know art!!!!!
fuck off kids
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.