[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna give this a go, should I emulate it or use the PC version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

File: sh2_7g6lsg.png (562KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
sh2_7g6lsg.png
562KB, 460x215px
I wanna give this a go, should I emulate it or use the PC version with the widescreen fix mod? I read the sound quality is significantly worse which makes me lean towards emulating.
>>
The PC version is perfectly fine. Go with that.
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>387813332
The audio difference and shit are greatly exaggerated, and not something you'd even pay attention to. And I mean it; I've been a fan of the series since the SH1 came out, got both PS2 and PC ports (of SH2), played both dozens of times... and I really couldn't tell the diffence. The only exception being the Menu's select-sound, which sounds a but louder and tad lower quality than on PS2... but who gives a fuck?

PC ports are easier to run on any PC-like entity made in past 10+ years, even at 4K if you want. With the Fog Fix and HQ videos, it not only rivals, but even exceeds PS2 version in many ways.
Here's the SH PC Guide + DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
If SH3 runs like shit even on a strong PC, check and lower the Rendering Resolution setting.
>>
>>387813332
PC version is good. No idea where you'd gotten those ideas of yours.

however, have you played SH1 already? It's quite essential considering the entire series and its lore, plus it is THE best game in series.
>>
>>387813651
thanks that's a great guide

>>387813769
I haven't, I was planning to play the 2nd and then the 3rd game. I have heard mixed opinions about the first SH, that it's not as good and not necessary to play. I mostly want to play for the horror and story. should I play the first game anyway?
>>
>>387814496
>should I play the first game anyway?
Of course you should. It's still good, even if I wouldn't say it's the best SH, and you'll be pretty lost in 3 without playing 1.
>>
>>387814496
>I haven't, I was planning to play the 2nd and then the 3rd game
No, you will NOT do that.
SH2 is so-so as a starting point for the beginners, but SH1 and 3 are DIRECTLY connected plots-wise. You simply do not play SH3 without finishing 1 first.

>I have heard mixed opinions about the first SH, that it's not as good and not necessary to play.
You have heard bullshit.
SH1 is literally the best game in series, and capsulates everything good in the series. It's also WAY scarier and harder game than SH2, which most people agree to be THE mildest one when it comes to spooks and challenge.

Not only that, but SH1 will give #2 a lot more "context" and stuff to look forward to, potentially helping you push through the start that some rookies consider a bit too slow and overall meh.
>>
File: sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg (463KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg
463KB, 1920x1080px
>>387814496
what kind of gigantic moron plays a story- and character driven series out of order, skipping the first chapter?? Go play SH1, nao!
And then replay it, because I know you'll prolly get some shit ending on your first time anyway. No, you do not wanna use a guide and spoil yourself on the first run.
>>
>>387814962
>>387815118
>>387814808

thanks for all the advice, I will not be a retard and play the games in order then.
>>
>>387815118
how long is sh1 even? i played for an hour and im already at that spot
>>
File: SH3 PC - Heather pomf.jpg (617KB, 3810x1725px) Image search: [Google]
SH3 PC - Heather pomf.jpg
617KB, 3810x1725px
>>387815456
attaboy.
I will again stress that these games are very replayable as well, and not the least thanks to their tendency to often NOT open up completely with a single playthrough. Multiple endings and unlockables + the actually games changing difficulties do also add a lot of reason to re-visit the games before moving on.
>>
File: sh1 giant fan.gif (2MB, 350x269px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 giant fan.gif
2MB, 350x269px
>>387815819
>how long is sh1 even?
Around 6-8 hours on a first time. Maybe more if you somehow get stuck.
Once you know everything by heart, you can speed through it under 2 hours.

Same with the sequels. Quite like the RE games, SHs ain't exactly that long games if pushed through in one sitting. Many people just don't dare to, and/or want to take them slow.
>>
>>387815979
i see, thanks for the explanation
>>
File: sh2-pc2011-Fullhd.jpg (232KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sh2-pc2011-Fullhd.jpg
232KB, 1920x1080px
>>387816374
np.
it's funny how back in the days these games DID get criticized about their relatively short length, but during that time games' worth was literally calculated in hours at worst.

That being said, not too many other 6+ hour SP games can remain as entertaining, interesting and atmospheric for several dozen replays like the first four Silent Hills do. I still replay them semi-annually, and it feels like I always learn something new about them.
>>
they finally fixed the SH2 flashlight bug?
really minor thing, but makes me want to play it again
>>
>>387813651
I could never get Silent Hill 2 to work on my PC's in any way. I couldn't emulate it, and the PC version was just a never ending chain of problems. I'd fix the save glitch and then I'd get the footstep sound loop glitch, I'd fix that, then the fog effects would start spazzing out.

I haven't tried it on this most recent Windows 10 machine, but I will now.

I honestly just keep my PS2 around for this game otherwise but I've seen some impressive screenshots. Silent Hill 3 and 4 work fine on every PC I've tested it on, however.
>>
>>387813769
>that fucking WATER

Imagine how amazing games could look today if people gave a fuck.
>>
>>387816964
funny, I've not had a single major problem with SH2's PC version.

When I first stumbled upon it, we were living the 1-core WinXP times, so it worked natively.
Later on, at the dawn of 2-core CPUs and shit (which is one thing causing problems), people were quick to discover the Affinity-fix trick (pic related), which worked wonders for me.

Fast forward to early 2010s, and we got the brilliant sh2proxy -fix, which literally cured all problems I know of.

SH3 has always just werked. It's a brilliant port.

>>387817054
Team-Silent were insanely good artists through and through.
We may never see games like these anymore.
>>
File: SH1 - sewer reflection.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SH1 - sewer reflection.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
>>387817054
which water are you talking about?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.