[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Beyond just WoW, I’ll be a little controversial here and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1498422638054.gif (3MB, 294x335px) Image search: [Google]
1498422638054.gif
3MB, 294x335px
>Beyond just WoW, I’ll be a little controversial here and say that I worry that the importance of sandboxes to successful game design gets overstated. I’ve also noticed that it is game reviewers who get really excited about open-ended gameplay, and I’m sure part of that reason is because they have to play through so many games at a frenetic pace that something where they get to set the rules is appealing.
>And I do get the appeal of sandboxes. It’s just that so often the game can’t often deliver on the massive expectations of what a sandbox really is. I get really bored of games where I have to go find the fun or invent my own fun, usually because games can’t ever really deliver on “Anything that you can conceive, you can do.” Instead I always find myself bumping into the limitations of the system. I can’t really be a thief who just survives stealing from other players. I can’t really be a merchant or a politician or a prophet because the game systems aren’t robust enough to support that. Minecraft lets you make ridiculously elaborate architecture. GTA is funny when the cop AI collides with semi-realistic car physics. But both are still pretty limited in terms of sandboxes.
Sandbox fags BTFO
>>
>Ignore blog post
>Still have fun with sandbox games
It's almost like the more you analyze games instead of just play them, the more entertainment value they lose.
>>
File: SZG13HN.jpg (83KB, 560x419px) Image search: [Google]
SZG13HN.jpg
83KB, 560x419px
That's because anything open-ended with physics or no set goal is called a Sandbox these days.

> I can’t really be a thief who just survives stealing from other players. I can’t really be a merchant or a politician or a prophet because the game systems aren’t robust enough to support that.

UO did. That was the direction we should have gone in.
>>
>>387789039
>having fun doing the same exact mindless gathering/crafting trite again and again and again in 200 different games
You sure you're not autistic or something?
>>
It's not like the "authority" of whoever wrote those lines would really change anything, but still, OP you fucking mongoloid, it's basic common curtesy: if you quote someone, provide source of the quote. Fuck me you people are like a three years old apparently, "I know where these lines come from, so clearly that means everybody else will know that too".

That said, half of the fucking opinion is based on "I have unrealistic expectations from the genre, which it can't live up to, therefor the genre is bad."
It's incredibly fucking weak and poor argument. And I say that as someone who generally dislikes sandboxes these days. I'd like to see a lot less of them.
But still, this dismissal is fucking retarded and worthless.
>>
File: nooBOOOOM.gif (305KB, 261x199px) Image search: [Google]
nooBOOOOM.gif
305KB, 261x199px
I just want every game to stop feeling like it has to be an open-world game to be good, because it's completely contrary to that belief.

Just because it's a linear story experience doesn't mean it's automatically "bad". It just has to provide a good experience with added replayability for the player.

Look at Doom 2016, or Max Payne 3, or RE7, or MGS pre V. All great games and franchises that didn't need open worlds to buffer people's interests because they provided quality experiences. Hell, even Hellblade is a cool fucking game.

The meme needs to die already, because seeing a new game get announced just for it's devs to go "Oh it's open world! Great huh??" doesn't get me excited, it makes me think "Ok great, we won't see a release for 5 years minimum. It's gonna be big, empty, and crammed with copy/paste fluff. I'm gonna get bored because the game isn't going to go out of its way to grab my attention, because it thinks all the random shit scattered around is gonna do that for me."

It's just the go-to design fad right now, but I really want it to just end already.
>>
>>387789164
>>387789164
See, that's the reason why I don't take your opinions seriously. What about Star Trek Online, where the sandbox supports more endgame content than almost any other MMO? What about in City builders where the sandbox is the entire point and your decisions and layouts define the entire game? What about Planetside 2 where having massive servers and a humongous map were its selling points? You've got a very narrow minded opinion about this topic
>>
Open world is just another design fad, like how everything being a gloom-and-grey game after Gears was popular, or everything being a generic military FPS was popular.

It'll blow over soon, and we'll have a new fad to get tired of.

Personally, I enjoy open world, but clearly not every game needs it, and many games would have benefited from not being open world, like MGSV for example.
>>
I wish we could get another Everquest, but the game mechanics would be deemed too hard by today's players. EQ2 was nothing like the original. I wouldn't be surprised if more people played EQ1 rather than EQ2 right now.
>>
>>387789126
Funny because UO player wrote it
But of course we still have retards like >>387789618 who thinks that handholding and limitations everywhere is how sandboxes should be done, lol
>>
>>387790124

Where in their post did they even say anything about handholding and limitation?

Are you retarded by chance?
>>
>>387790124
That's not what I said at all, anon. Want to reread the statement and try again? I'm saying that just having a sandbox doesn't mean it's empty and that blanket generalizations about the genre don't apply. That games don't all just procedurally generate a map and hope players discover some fun on it.

Fucks sakes pay attention
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.