[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With a couple of minor exceptions, why has no monster collecting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

With a couple of minor exceptions, why has no monster collecting JRPG ever come close to dethroning Pokemon?
>>
>>387755247

- The sheer amount of options you have in Pokemon
- Pokemon has an animated series to promote it
>>
>>387755247
It's hype, bias and brand recognition. I think anyway.
>>
Monster designs that are simple enough to appeal to children but can still get weird or interesting
>>
File: fapping challenge.png (217KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fapping challenge.png
217KB, 800x1200px
>>387755247

pokegirls
>>
>>387755247
Pokemon was in the right place at the right time.
The 90s anime boom.
Only decent game on the gameboy.
>>
Because they completely fuck it up (Yokai Watch) or have very niche appeal in the first place (the rest).
>>
File: 6QCItHO[1].png (657KB, 978x550px) Image search: [Google]
6QCItHO[1].png
657KB, 978x550px
>>387755247

Sheer amount of monsters and waifubait.
>>
>>387756115
Didn't Yokai Watch overtake Pokemon in Japan though?
>>
>>387756291
For a while yeah, but then they completely fucked up promoting it in the West.
>>
>>387756291

For a while towards the end of Gen 6, yes.

Then Gen 7 came along and Pokemon has been dominating YW ever since.
>>
>>387756259
>Sheer amount of monsters
How many are they up to now anyway? Last I heard it was around 720.
I don't think that's the reason either, considering other series also have that much and more.
>>
>>387756554
currently 802
>>
>>387755247
>With a couple of MINOR EXCEPTIONS
>why has no monster collecting JRPG ever COME CLOSE to dethroning Pokemon?

Talking outside of Japan, no anon.
Just no. To suggest - no matter how few - that any simlar games have come close to Pokemon internationally even remotely is a gross misunderstanding of how big Pokemon was/is.
>>
>>387756554

Pokemon has 802, not counting alternate forms and Mega Evolutions.
>>
>>387756664
>>387756771
Well that's cool, I guess. I suppose I'll just happily wait for a new Mystery Dungeon with all them then.
>>
>>387756664
wonder when will they stop?
>>
>>387756686
I don't recall anything that matches it in popularity, but there's definitely some that match it in quality.
>>
>>387756291
yep but level 5 fuck it releasing tons of games in a short period of time
>>
>>387756972
When the games stop selling pretty much. The main strength of pokemon is that they keep getting new generations into the series somehow so it'll be a long time before they stop.
>>
File: Slime_(Dragon_Quest).jpg (7KB, 200x197px) Image search: [Google]
Slime_(Dragon_Quest).jpg
7KB, 200x197px
>>
File: latest.png (127KB, 703x523px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
127KB, 703x523px
>>387756554
the problem is with digimon, that the designs just go through a blender at some point, and alot of its artstyle is stitched together for most creatures, agumon here is a perfect example, the detail and style of his head dosnt match his body whatsoever. in motion this issue is compounded by the extra depth his head has vs his flat, featureless body

digimon season 3 had the best designs, due to all the main cast mons having strong themes they adhered too as they digivolved.
>>
>>387757672
i think agumon's design is quite cute and recognizable
>>
File: Agumon_b.jpg (47KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Agumon_b.jpg
47KB, 320x320px
>>387757672
I wasn't trying to imply Digimon was better there, just that I don't think the number of Pokemon had that much to do with it.

That's also a shitty Agumon drawing, there's a stupid amount of Agumon types and those types have also been drawn very differently over the years. Just like Pikachu, he now looks different than what he used to look like. At one point he was even a great deal more dinosaur like, sporting a proper Trex adam's apple.

Digimon has an aircraft Carrier load of Digimon too, so of course some are going to look dreadful. That's just a given, like how in the 802 Pokemon they're not all great designs.

>digimon season 3 had the best designs
Pretty sure they just got given normal Digimon that already existed man, with the exception of maybe Megidramon and Guilmon's line.
>>
>>387755247
That one dinosaur fossil game on the DS was good.
>>
File: 1479605195772.png (318KB, 391x408px) Image search: [Google]
1479605195772.png
318KB, 391x408px
>>387755247
>that amazing anime it had back in the day
>those movies that were even better with Pikachu shorts
>the manga
>the other manga
>the toys
>the 10/10 spinoff games
>the general improvements until generation v
It can't be dethroned. It is the giant throne. And nothing can make the climb to sit on it.
>>
File: 1305442389360.png (424KB, 623x527px) Image search: [Google]
1305442389360.png
424KB, 623x527px
>>387758924
why are all movie the same?
>is about a legendary
>they use telepathy or talk human language
>bad guys want it
>is a "humans can be mean narrative" movie
>ash and co proves them wrong
>everyone's happy

The hoopa's movie wasn't that bad because what saves it is that more than two(2) legendary pokemon fighting against each other. My dream movie would be a battle royale with all legendary pokemon available, obviously capable of fighting
>>
>>387758529
im thinking of the season where the kid created his digimon from a drawing. and they could fuse and "pilot" the digimons ultimate forms.

when i say blender i mean that often the designs as the digivolve get really random half the time, and the quality is fucking inconsistent as hell. its like the artists creating them are just rolling in a vacuum, with no baseline, and are just told "make a bunch of monsters, the digvolitions forms should get random robot parts, super powerful forms must look like voltron, good luck!"

its kinda hard to explain without starting to pull up massive amounts of images and art theory shit
>>
>>387756972
When they stop making new Beanie Babies -- so never.
>>
File: 1484517401719.jpg (173KB, 1165x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1484517401719.jpg
173KB, 1165x1075px
>>387759963
How should I know? I only watched the first three, but they looked amazing.
>>
File: CbU3jW_UcAAvR6D.jpg (361KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CbU3jW_UcAAvR6D.jpg
361KB, 1920x1080px
>>387760121
>im thinking of the season where the kid created his digimon
Yeah, I know. Guilmon's line I believe is original until Gallantmon, but otherwise they just use cards on and eventually mega fuse with normal Digimon for everyone else. D-Reaper doesn't count, it's not a proper Digimon.

>its kinda hard to explain
I klinda get what you're saying here, but there is just as many examples of great Digimon designs that follow their themes all the way through as there are the blended messes that you're thinking of. Even the blended messes make sense in the lore, but I imagine that's not actually intended or simply just an excuse.

>its like the artists creating them are just rolling in a vacuum, with no baseline
You gotta realise, Digimon still doesn't really have a set genre or definitive style yet. Closest we've got to consistent games is Worlds and Story games, but even they're not entirely set in stone. It's spent years branching out into different demographics and genres.

>the digvolitions forms should get random robot parts
>super powerful forms must look like voltron
People who think all Digimon evolve into robots with guns and swords, generally aren't very big fans or even fans at all.
I will give you that they're known for over designing a lot of evolutions, but that's where it falls short not what it excels at.
>>
>>387761120
first movie was kinda weird if I think about it, like they went a bit dark which is why i believe all movies after that went with a safer and tamed plot
>>
>>387755247
Marketing.
>>
File: 1366896591262.jpg (84KB, 348x505px) Image search: [Google]
1366896591262.jpg
84KB, 348x505px
Because it doesn't matter how good you think your game is, or it's marketing, or it's mixed media shit to get the word out or whatever the fuck.

The bandwagon left years ago, if those shiteaters are gonna make SUN AND FUCKING MOON the best selling Pokemon games of all goddamn time there is NOTHING you can do to pull that market away from that teet. They dont WANT a better game. They want to continue playing the same game, masturbating to the girls and Pokemon, and participating in the singlehandedly most boring metagame in existence.
>>
>>387761449
im aware of my ignorance, the original villains had pretty solid designs, ind i felt the d reaper was perfect, a sentient yet abstract cleanup program that was simply doing its job way too well, and diddnt know when to stop.

the egg digivolutions were also usually really solid, (Fladramon )and certian cross fusions worked out super well.

i think that they just have no fundamental quality control, and that they often lean to hevaly towards turning a digi line humanoid as they grow stronger, even when the result looks awkward or out of the blue.

feel like they need to send their art teams out to a location irl to as a group to get a new digi set more cohesive yet still new.

like there are occasional designs ive liked, but often i see things turn into a mess
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.