[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any turn based RPGs where your party acts like a semi-realistic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1496529236752.png (445KB, 672x466px) Image search: [Google]
1496529236752.png
445KB, 672x466px
Are there any turn based RPGs where your party acts like a semi-realistic team of people in battle?

An example would be, as the leader of the group your character can tell the party what actions to take, but they might not necessarily follow them for a number of reasons, like they think it's too dangerous to attack at that moment because they're cautious, or that some other enemy should be the first priority, because they personally have a weakness to it.

Maybe at the start of the game one of them just don't trust/like you enough to do what you say unless it is an obvious action to take anyways. While others get on board faster the more you prove yourself by winning battles well.

Persona has the tactics system that allows party members act as they think they should, but that's not quite what I mean. Most everyone turned it off anyways if they could since controlling the party directly is much more efficient, but in games all about making bonds with others (and pretty much any other JRPG) I always thought it was odd that you could have complete control over someone you just met, it feels like something to be earned over time.
>>
>>387690408
No, and thank God for that because a battle system like that would be incredibly annoying.
>get a new character
>he only guards during fights
>personality: coward
Even VC traits are more annoying than anything.

>I always thought it was odd that you could have complete control over someone you just met, it feels like something to be earned over time.
Most games has potions that instaheal damage or resurrection spells and party control is where you decide to draw the line?
>>
Soul Hackers does something like that and it's a pain in the ass.
>>
Oreshika had a system somewhat like that. You set the team leader and you were given like three suggestions for what each member of your team "wanted" to do for that turn based on their personality and type. Using the suggested attack made them more loyal, not using it made them less. If they became too unhappy, they could even eventually leave the party eventually
>>
>>387690408
That is literally just turning off Direct Commands anon. That's probably as close as you can get without having a dreadful game.
>>
>>387690408
Criminal Girls.
It's nowhere near as indepth as that, but characters have their own say in what moves they'll perform and if they'll push for exploiting elemental damage or defending if they believe that's the best response.

Naturally, you give them access to more possible moves by spanking them or acts of light bondage play.
>>
>>387691058
>act freely
>'''smart''' character spams marin fucking karin
Does this means Mitsuru is actually retarded?
>>
>>387691945
It's not exact obviously, but it's the closest I've ever heard of. Feels like a team listening to their leader, as opposed to directly controlling all members.
That also doesn't happen very often at all, especially not when you're actually acting like a leader.
>>
>>387690408
Jagged Alliance had something like that.
>>
>>387690861
It would be difficult to balance and execute, but I don't think it's inherently a bad idea. As for the realism, just because one fantasy element is introduced in a game, that doesn't necessarily open the flood gates for all unrealistic elements. That said, it doesn't really bother me, just something I've be thinking about.

>>387691020
Huh, if there were ways to gain loyalty outside of battle that might not be so bad.

>>387691058
It's quite a bit more in depth, at least what I have in my mind. Like I said though, I realize it would be a massive pain to balance something like that. There would have to be some trade-off for the lack of complete control. Maybe if you give the party some freedom in their moves they could develop new ones faster or something?
>>
>>387692130
It's still pretty dumb.
>set smart character to act freely
>it makes Cuntpei look smart

>use tactics
>it just makes the battles longer than using direct party control
>>387692340
I do think it's inherently a bad idea. I would love an in depth tactics system, but adding personality traits/trust it would only make you fight against the rng resulting in artificial difficulty.
>>
>>387692340
>It's quite a bit more in depth, at least what I have in my mind.
Yeah, I screwed up my sentence there. Meant to delete "literally" after I changed what I typed out, but I missed it.
It's not a very popular idea though, and is pretty annoying in practice. Though something with a group of characters like Persona or an RPG Friend Party could really benefit from it.

>>387692790
It's a PS2 game, it's got it's share of flaws. I think it added to the game, even if it's stupid sometimes like how buffs and the AI worked together. Tactics does give you a great degree of control though, for example Mitsuru will never use Marin Karin at all unless you choose certain tactics.

>it just makes the battles longer than using direct party control
To be fair, the MC is stupidly Op and versatile. Yukiko is basically the only team member with potential even approaching the Protagonists.
>>
>>387693096
>Yukiko is basically the only team member with potential even approaching the Protagonists
And that's why she's now in a true SMT game
>>
>>387692790
Hadn't really thought of the rng aspect, it would be bullshit to lose a fight because your party disobeyed reasonable orders for some petty personal reasons. Maybe in this hypothetical game losing a battle isn't a game over but just causes your party to retreat, after which they're more likely to stay in line? That would still be pretty annoying though.

Hmm...
>>
>>387693221
I'm talking about Rank 10 Yukiko with Scooter learnt skills and Sumeo-Okami running a Fire Boost/Amp, Mind Charge and Burning Petals combo. Boundless Sea, Godly Robe and a +50% Fire Damage Accessory to boot. With Spirit Drain and Healing skills for unneeded support.
This chick could incinerate any enemy from 1-5 with ease, providing no resistance to fire of course.
Not talking about some chick in Antarctica.
>>
>>387693367
People would just lose some early game battles in order to forcefully raise whatever stat makes your party more loyal.
And if the game adds a rating system/consequences for losing battles you are back to rng hell.

>characters gets a stat penalty if downed during battle
You just reload
>characters get a bonus if you do really well during battle
You just reload for those sweet +0.01 stat bonuses
>character refuses to listen to you if you constantly get them killed
This could work, but it's still kind of annoying
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.