[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was it about Assassin's Creed: Unity you didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: unity.jpg (349KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
unity.jpg
349KB, 1920x1080px
What was it about Assassin's Creed: Unity you didn't like it?
>>
>>387686762
It looks pretty in screenshots but that's just about the only positive thing that can be said about the game
>>
File: eyebleed.jpg (20KB, 424x370px) Image search: [Google]
eyebleed.jpg
20KB, 424x370px
>>387686762
>>
>>387686762
Ran like shit on PC and consoles both

Disappointing attempt at retrying the Ezio-style protagonist

Only good thing were the graphics for still screenshots
>>
How does it run on PC with a 970 these days? The performance was the biggest thing that turned me away at release.
>>
shit gameplay
shit story
shit performance
shit protagonist

pros:
the french revolution is a fun setting
grafix are pretty great
the expanded assassination missions were nice, still don't make you feel like an actual assassin though
>>
File: assassins creed only positive.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
assassins creed only positive.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>387686762
It was bogged down in lots of needless side missions and padding, and had a pretty mediocre story, but post-patch it's still far better than Sydnicate. I can't believe Origins still looks worse.
>>
>Arno is completely unlikable and fucking stupid
>everyone glosses over how he has zero evidence for his accusations and just blurts shit out he sees in his targets' memories as if they were solid and believable leads
>the plot ended up being so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things
>a shrunken toolkit and arsenal compared to previous games, much more rigid too
>hand-to-hand was still missing
>poorly thought-out UI in some cases, like when evidences update in the murder mysteries
>the setting didn't play much of a role in anything, dense crowds aren't usable like they showed in the trailers unless it's a scripted event in a mission etc.

What I did like:
>fucking amazing graphics that still hold up today
>the coop was enjoyable though still pretty barebones, you're basically doing SP missions but in coop with time limits and shit in some cases as the only hurdle
>clothing customisation was done well and has a ton of nicely designed outfits that had a good balance between being realistic and stylish
>that opening as a Templar was fun as fuck for some reason
>the music was pretty good
>best parkour in any AC so far

I don't know how I feel about the combat. On one hand, I liked that it's overall tougher but the combat mechanics themselves aren't that much different from previous games. They just messed with the enemy's AI and balanced shit out so you're not so much of a god who can take a million stab wounds before dying.
>>
>>387686908
Unless you were up high at all, where buildings only a block away has lower quality textures than minecraft. I will say though, the interior screenshots are amazing
>>
>>387687459
Those hair physics still amaze me
>>
I actually loved it beat, all the side missions too

>>387686927
It ran well on my mid range laptop after it's patched.
>>
>>387687180
40-50fps at 1080p I think. Been a while since I upgraded from that card.
>>
File: 1393543032283.jpg (29KB, 380x250px) Image search: [Google]
1393543032283.jpg
29KB, 380x250px
>trying to solo that parkour competition co-op mission

reminded me of the good old days of unadulterated frustration
>>
It's incredible, those huge crowds that attention to detail.

I wish random house layouts actually made sense though , they looked like they went trough some randomizer. Still can't blame them, the game must have cost so much as it is. Had fun just walking around and the combat and stealth is actually challenging, and I like the open ended design of the missions (here's this huge location, infiltrate it how you want)
>>
It's pretty much the opposite of Black Flag. It improved the gameplay quite a bit but it fell really short in terms of characters and atmosphere. Meanwhile Black Flag dumbed down the gameplay but provided a charismatic protagonist, a genuinely fun supporting cast and was oozing atmosphere.
>>
>>387686762
Ruined potential
They had a chance to show with french revolution how senseless and braindead assassins freedom could be and that it could lead to ruin
They didn't
>>
>>387687506
>hand-to-hand was still missing
What? When did they remove hand-to-hand?
Stealing weapons and killing enemies with them was my favourite thing about AC2/Brotherhood.
>>
>>387689371
Starting from AC3. Origins has hand-to-hand again but I'm not sure about disarming and shit since gear is handled very differently. Like I said, it's much more rigid.
>>
>>387688286
There was almost no french revolution at all I felt, which really bummed me out.
Then there's the weird detail of every motherfucking having the thickest English accent in fucking France of all places.
>>387687506 Summed it up pretty good though, the coop was super fun.
>>
>>387690002
Wait no, I'm retarded. Unity was the one that removed hand-to-hand. AC3 and BF still had it. Syndicate kinda had it but it wasn't as robust and you couldn't disarm people/steal their weapons.
>>
>>387686762
It's underrated as fuck
>>
File: 1500465277135.png (53KB, 583x608px) Image search: [Google]
1500465277135.png
53KB, 583x608px
still so fucking mad about this game to this very day
it possibly has one of the best graphics/art design combo in the entire history of vidya, but the rest is nothing but a rotten pile of underwhelming garbage, especially the horseshit gameplay and the laughably bad story, and they almost succeeded in making a worse character than Connor
wtf were they thinking we may never know
>>
>>387686762
Never played it. Still hate it. Lol
>>
Unity was the worst in the series for one simple reason. You can't fucking switch weapons without pausing and going through several menus. Every other game in the series let's you use different weapons on the fly.
>>
>>387691364
Syndicate still had that and much worse shit too. Syndicate saved Unity from being the worst.
>>
>>387691821
I haven't played Syndicate, but I assumed they wouldn't be stupid enough to repeat that mistake.
>>
>>387692081
You assumed wrong, anon. They repeated that mistake and somehow fucked up even more. It looks like they're also going an entirely different route for ACO but at least you can equip 2 different main weapons this time around and switch between them and 2 different bows in real time. Not sure if hand-to-hand can be switched to in real time or if you have to unequip your shit first though. Don't know about shit like disarming and stealing weapons though, the combat in ACO honestly looks pretty dull but it may be 'tougher' due to shit being stats-based. I just don't know man.
>>
>>387686762
Every game from AC 3 onward suffers from poor, fan-fiction tier writing. (I legtimatley think I could write better)
I actually thought the game looked really nice, that Paris and the french rev. was a great potential backdrop, and the combat was okay.

But despite all those potential positives the game was ruined by shitty writing.The story line was incoherent and almost arbitrary at some points, The characters lacked any sort of depth and the dialogue was inane. The failure to write a sufficient main story seemingly lead to them shoving in loads of investigations/side quests to full out the game, which didnt work and makes the world feel bloated.

Up until revelations it was legtimatley my favourite franchise, but poor management decisions (i.e milking a dead fucking horse) and abysmal creative employees (the overall arc is probably the worst story in contemporary vidya) have killed any possible promise the game once showed.

Rip AC, i'll never forget you.
>>
>when the game series about parkour and climbing suddenly gets shit tier writing and rope launchers
>>
>>387692452
Renegade was pretty good story wise
>>
>>387686762
Garbage tier writing again as always, writers were literally only women or sjw's.
>>
File: 1432393033539.jpg (98KB, 504x470px) Image search: [Google]
1432393033539.jpg
98KB, 504x470px
>be Ubisoft
>make innovative game with innovative gameplay that shows lots of creativity
>second game is even better
>memorable story, one of the best mc in videogames
>the best open world city gameplay-wise ever made (Venice)
>critically acclaimed, financial success, everyone loves it
>its two sequels complete the Ezio trilogy nicely, expanding on the gameplay without shitting things up

>proceed to copypaste gameplay elements across every other game and franchise they put their hands on
>now every unrelated game has tower syncing and eagle vision
>proceed to shit up the original franchise with streamlined once-a-year releases that feel soulless and uninspired
>>
>>387687506
I agree on your points. I also thought the map was really neat.

>>387693381
at least we'll always have ac 2
>>
>>387693494
Yeah I should have added that too, the map had pretty nice variety and was nicely dense too. Walking the streets really reminded me of playing AC1 and the whole game was very atmospheric. The letdown comes when you start seeing civilians being casually allowed into restricted areas despite yourself being treated suspiciously on sight and shit like that. Still, the map itself was great. Just a shame due to it's lack of interactivity and also what I mentioned before.
>>
>>387693494
>at least we'll always have ac 2
true, and I still replay the first four games consecutively from time to time
but still it makes my soul cry the fact that they had to shit on the Assassin's Creed franchise like that
I have very little hope for Origins, but I'll still play it just to see how things will turn but I am sure as shit not paying for it you goddamn french jews
>>
>>387692452
What the fuck happened between Revelations and 3 that they fucked up so collossally?

4 was pretty fun and I haven't played either unity or syndicate but I really liked AC and have vague plans to play Unity at some point

3's story was absolute trash, especially coming off Revelations, which finished up Ezio's and Altair's stories so nicely and 4 was a fairly bullshit phone-it-in level story that everyone sucked the ubi dick for, but I also thought was pretty lazy desu
>>
>>387692347
What didnt you enjoy about Syndicate anon? I enjoyed it a fair bit, but I guess that might be because the game ran decently unlike unity.
Personally enjoy all the actually assassination missions in Syndicate, and the whole dialog when you kill them, it's been a while though so I dont recall everything, but I'd like to hear your reasons.
>>
>>387686762
I lost all interest in AC series when they removed the ability to freely jump in any direction and grab on ledges as you move past them.
>>
>>387695102
>map was a lot less detailed and atmospheric compared to Unity
>leveled enemies just made killing them take longer instead of requiring you to be more careful
>weapons were no longer visible on your person and had even less variety than Unity had, which was already limited from previous installments
>animations overall were of lower quality but the worst of them were the combat animations which looked sped up like a Benny Hill skit
>clothing options were all ridiculously styled and looked jarring as fuck compared to the rest of the game's aesthetics and not at a nice balance like in Unity
>plot is an awkward mess that just throws a bunch of historical figures like Darwin, Dickens and Nightingale in your path without them serving any purpose beyond being information counters
>the train homebase is a neat idea but ultimately pales in comparison to Monterigionni as it doesn't have any functional upgrades or even serve much gameplay purpose
>gang territories gameplay is really half-baked since Templars don't even try to take back lost territory and there's zero management mechanics to it
>gang upgrades were also just stat based upgrades for existing things, there's no customisation to be done there and just feels half-baked
>Jacob and Evie both act like complete idiots throughout the plot and keep sabotaging their own success by not working together
>those godawful QTE segments when fighting that lady Templar and Starrick (https://youtu.be/YS-lXXxbf8c?t=429)
>DLC started off interesting and quickly became fucking retarded
That's all off the top of my head.

What I did like about Syndicate:
>assassination missions are much better realised than the ones in Unity, they give you an area with the target in it and you choose your own way to murder them
>death conversation cutscenes like in earlier ACs are back
>rope launcher was pretty helpful
>the epilogue was a nice chunk of content and a great surprise
>>
>>387693381
I blame the Canadians
>>
>>387686762
is that Myopia Simulator 2014?
>>
>>387696441
my biggest grip with the map was that it just wasnt suited to parkour. The streets were to wide and the bulidings too tall so you were forced to use the grappling hook. this isnt totally the devs fault, (because thats how the city really was) but they should have realised it wouldnt fit right and changed the city.
>>
Weightless, glitchy movement, slipping through edges and corners, getting stuck on objects, getting detected through walls, running into invisible walls, having NPCs teleport through walls and walk in the air, getting bugged quest markers, abruptly losing the crowd that you're blended in, etc. those were probably the worst.
>>
>>387699212
that's why prior games had a smaller real world/game scale, to make things more reasonable without having to resort to some 'press button to awesome' or batman rope bullshit
but, hey, they look nicer now, don't they? :^)
>>
File: M•ANTONIVS.png (187KB, 396x381px) Image search: [Google]
M•ANTONIVS.png
187KB, 396x381px
>graphics get better as time passes
>gameplay gets worse
why does this keep happening??

the parkour mechanics in the Ezio trilogy felt awesome, you could do a lot of cool shit if you put some effort in learning how it worked, it was well balanced, not too easy but rewarding at the same time
fast forward ten years:
>keep these two buttons pressed and direct your character to go wherever with no effort whatsoever
>>
File: ACU 2015-12-15 13-07-30-33.jpg (407KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ACU 2015-12-15 13-07-30-33.jpg
407KB, 1920x1080px
>mfw never uninstalled Unity because I liked it so much

Rogue was better though.
>>
>>387701049
Do you still get to play coop? I haven't found another player for a full year now. I keep it around since the parkour is genuinely fun and the setting is nice to roam around in. At least the main area around Notre Dame is, anyway.
>>
File: ACU 2016-02-08 15-01-54-06.jpg (304KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ACU 2016-02-08 15-01-54-06.jpg
304KB, 1920x1080px
>>387701285
No, no one plays the co-op anymore. Back when that screenshot was taken, there were still players, but now it's impossible.
>>
>>387701419
>tfw have a higher chance of finding another ACU player in a /v/ thread than when I search in-game
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.