[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ancient wiped out civilization had way more advanced tech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 32

File: 1383150404317.png (79KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1383150404317.png
79KB, 500x500px
>ancient wiped out civilization had way more advanced tech than the current one
when will this writing meme end
>>
when our civilization gets wiped out
>>
>>387685229
This. It's a trope as ancient as human civilization, and it exists for a pretty good reason.

Also, stop using the word "meme". It's not funny or clever, it just gives away how much reddit has trained you to think exclusively in buzzwords.
>>
>>387685323
shut up you meme fuck
>>
>>387685193
Lets replace it with more power of friendship nonsense?
>>
>>387685347
And this is what you get when you combined reddit's obsessive "board culture and buzzwords" mentality with post 2011 /v/'s "let's just be cunts to everyone" attitude.
You get 80% of current /v/ content. Pure, meaningless, annoying shitposts.
>>
File: c.jpg (71KB, 1023x625px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
71KB, 1023x625px
>>387685193

that's exactly how it works
>>
>>387685467
you're such a fucking meme
>>
That's exactly how it works you you tit, you don't listen to mainstream science and history right? You're aware of Atlantis? The great pyramid?
>>
>>387685621
>be hyper advanced star faring aliens
>slap a bunch of rocks together
wow
>>
>>387685621
The only impressive thing about the great pyramid is that it was built at all. With modern tech you could build a piece of shit like that in under a month.
>>
>>387685779
wtf! I hate the great pyramids now.
>>
>>387685467
>look mah i can say reddit
>im so good at buzzwords
stfu you living meme
>>
File: 950.jpg (224KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
950.jpg
224KB, 1024x680px
Europe was fucking shit in the year 1000 compared to the year 200

Let's see Medievlets build something like this. Or an aqueduct lmao

Also go look at how many people were in the Battle of Phillipi and compare that to how many medieval "epic battles that changed the world" were just a couple hundred English and French guys mud wrestling
>>
File: BNhA5.jpg (490KB, 1280x1410px) Image search: [Google]
BNhA5.jpg
490KB, 1280x1410px
>Sequel to popular video game starring Magical Girls is popular video games starring Superheroes
>>
>>387686478
>leddit spacing
>>
>>387686478
>muh bare rock
>>
>>387686478
>Let's see Medievlets build something like this.
The Cluny Abbey?
The Aachen Cathedral?
The Duomo of Pisa?
The Basilica of Saint Mark?
The Great Lavra of Athos?

Yeah... I mean Rome was pretty impressive, and there was a considerable technological downgrade for a while in Europe, but it's not like some really fucking impressive architecture has not been build.
>>
>>387685730
>>387685779
>all the rocks weigh several tons each
>millions of pieces when the nearest quarry is 20 miles away
>faces true north to the degree
>built with supports and mortar never seen since or anyone even knows what the fuck the mortar is so it can withstand earthquakes
>carvings of dna double helix, helicopters and star ships inside
>centre of pyramid is the centre of the earth land mass
>draw and circle around the pyramid and its ratio matches that of the earth
>the 3 pyramids of gizas layout matches that of orions belt
>a shaft in the main passage points to alpha draconis, to the degree, as does one in peru and asia which were apparently unconnected and couldn't communicate with each other
>they all have carvings of advanced machinery humans worshipping reptilian beings
>they all speak of a great war in the heavens/skies followed by a great flood that nearly wiped out humanity

Nothing to worry about though. It must have been jewish slaves.
(pyramid is 10k years old, judaism is 4k)
>>
>>387686478
in the year 1000 the dark ages had ended by at least 200 years and architecture was once again starting to flourish

the Romans would have been literally incapable of making gothic style buildings because they were to advanced for them
>>
>>387686793
lol stop larping
>>
File: 1479739720776.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1479739720776.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
>>387686793
>>
>>387686793
where do you get all this shit
>>
>>387687164
that's what it is. By looking at all the data...
>>
>>387687164
Graham hancocks pretty good on ancient civilizations
When you read how much aggressive resistance him and other researchers come against it screams cover up. They found another chamber alongside the kings/queens in early 90s late 80s and it still hasn't been opened. They even wanted to just send a camera mounted on a small robot into it
>nope fuck off get out.
>>
>>387686793
Let's look at what is true here:
>all the rocks weigh several tons each
>millions of pieces when the nearest quarry is 20 miles away
>centre of pyramid is the centre of the earth land mass
The last one is only true if he means that the axis that goes vertically through the pyramid aims towards the center of earth. Otherwise, that one isn't true at all.

But I do love this kind of stuff. It makes me realize that magical and mythological mindsets aren't dead yet and I think that is - in it's own strage way, a good thing. We need loon theories like this: they make the world look so much more strange and mysterious.
>>
>>387685193
Are you mentally retarded? Do you think human civilization only ever progresses forward, and never decays?
>>
>>387687706
They're all true, do some research
>>
>>387687891
SUUUURE it is. Especially the "carvings of DNA" the "unknown mortar" (I actually for a moment though you were thinking about Rome, because those fuckers actually did have some absolutely amazing concrete that we only learned how to re-create few years back, and it might be a revolutionary technology in naval engineering), pictures of helicopters, the pyramids being ten thousand years old.

Re-reading this amusing post, one thing now caught my attention:
What... does that even mean, exactly? What ratio - of what to what?
Circles generally tend to be pretty same when it comes to most ratios...
>>
>>387686793
Who let /x/ in?
>>
>>387687735
yeah then explain how I can't go out in by backyard and dig a 50 feet feep hole and find a iphone huh?
>>
>>387685323
>it just gives away how much reddit has trained you to think exclusively in buzzwords.
It's quite clear YOU don't get the meme so it's obvious you are just some reddit fag trying to fit in,which is sad
>>
>>387685193
It'll end when it stops being accurate.
>>
>>387688162
Yes, literally look it up. These are geologists speaking, they can tell from the erosion that it is precipitation from constant heavy rainfall, something which there hasn't been in Egypt for at least 10k years. You can look up the mortar for yourself, but your telling me we learned how to recreate what the romans used and yet I'm telling you we have absolutely no idea what it even is, kinda emphasizes my point.

As for the ratio, I don't remember but its to do with the golden ratio in maths and/or pi/phi

Read keepers of Genesis and finger prints of the gods by Graham Hancock, don't worry it's not religious

>>387688757
Because the shit phones are made from disintegrate over time
>>
>>387688757
youre digging in the wrong place
>>
>>387685193
Hopefully never.
>>
>>387686793
>when the nearest quarry is 20 miles away
well duh they mined all the rock
>>
>>387687494
It must be full of ALIEN SKULLS
>>
>>387685193
Never because JRPGs are tropey

>>387685467
>with post 2011 /v/'s "let's just be cunts to everyone" attitude.
/v/ was always like that
>>
>>387685193
what is the dark ages in europe?
>>
>>387685193
Finno-Korean Hyper War
>>
>>387689113
No it wasn't /v/ was just mad but not cunts. Also it was way more gay
>>
>>387689081
With what? How are they all sawn six sides?
>>
>>387689275
Dat autism aray
>>
File: ABYDOS-HELICOPTER-PHOTO.jpg (36KB, 450x278px) Image search: [Google]
ABYDOS-HELICOPTER-PHOTO.jpg
36KB, 450x278px
>>387688971
>>
>>387688971
>These are geologists speaking,
No, not really. It's mostly people like Graham Handcock speaking, who is not a geologist, nor an archeologist, nor a historian, nor a radiologist, nor anthropologist or anything else: has a basic education in sociology and not a SINGLE one o his work was ever accepted by peers or academicians.
There is no erosion from rain anywhere on the pyramide structures. Only on some of the stone, which has been hauled in from mountain regions of upper Egypt, which has rainfall.

>You can look up the mortar for yourself, but your telling me we learned how to recreate what the Romans used and yet I'm telling you we have absolutely no idea what it even is, kinda emphasizes my point.
How? You claim is about something unrelated and not supported by any actual scientific papers or citations.

>As for the ratio, I don't remember but its to do with the golden ratio in maths and/or pi/phi
Uh... yeah. Pi. Which is the ratio between circumference and diameter of a circle. Which is universal to ALL CIRCLES. Also, it has never been actually ever spelled "phi". The fact that you don't know this is rather telling about your ability to actually appropriately judge validity of the claims you are making.

Of course I know you are trolling,
but I find it morbidly entertaining.
>>
>>387686793
>>
File: pyramids.png (102KB, 1666x950px) Image search: [Google]
pyramids.png
102KB, 1666x950px
>>387689682
fucking wrekt
>>
File: sher'thul.png (385KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sher'thul.png
385KB, 640x480px
>>387685193
It won't because it lets you write in hilariously irresponsible precursor races. Pic related.
>>
it's not a trope, it comes from people rediscovering roman technology in like 500ad and being like "damn, this shit is tight, who came up with this?"

also, the burning of alexandria's great library caused the trope to a point
>>
>>387689885
Aint nothing funnier then reading about irresponsible precursors. I've been playing a lot of Path of Exile recently, and the lore in there is pretty tight, and has 2 precursor civilisations both fucking up their empires by doing the exact same crazy shit, it's really interesting to read.
>>
>it's a "ancient treasure that was not actually lost but rather buried by an ancient civilization because it was too dangerous" episode
Literally all the Uncharted games.
>>
>>387689928
>it's not a trope, it comes from people rediscovering roman technology in like 500ad and being like "damn, this shit is tight, who came up with this?"
It comes from much, much older materials and theories than that. Plato speaks about Atlantis, Greece has the whole descendant theory of time in general (Heseidos and his Golden, Silver, Bronze, Heroic and Iron Ages). There was also the Fall of Maurya.
Then you have the whole fall of Minoan civilization (presumably one of the inspirations for Atlantis myth), and the Abrahamic age and fall of Babylon.

There is the old (and probably somehow partially truth-fundend) theories of Great Floods and pre-flood civilizations.

Hell, I would not be surprised if the fall of Çatalhöyük (a late stone age era city that at one point reached up to 10 000 inhabitants, before completely disappearing and all of it's inhabitants reverting back to primitive hunter-and-gatherer civilizations) did not spring up old myths and stories about fall of great "precursor" civilizations that resonate in us.

Seriously, this is an ancient, ancient idea.
>>
>>387690198
>Was gonna reply bringing up Tome4 and how stupid its precursers were
>See you literally replied to someone ragging on the same thing
huh small world
>>
The idea can work as long as your setting has valid reasons for it. aka:
>some form of ascension exists and is extremely attractive
>civilizations become so powerful they can instantly destroy each other and did so.
>superfast computing is possible in deep space and powerful civilizations migrated out to extragalactic space to make use of it

The worst misuse of the trope is where some 'big bad' is responsible for wiping out the nigh godlike 'precursors' and yet far less advanced fledgeling races somehow prevail (often by using the tech of the precursors even more paradoxically).
>>
>>387686793
>pyramid is 10k years old
Actually the biggest one was finished in 2580 BC, which is 4597 years.
>>
>>387690424
true, babylon is probably a big influence as well since it's so featured in biblical texts, i forgot about that one. i don't know much about the greek ones
>>
>>387689682
Graham is a researcher and author who works with a team, a team made up of all those things you listed. And yes there is, go watch mysteries of the sphinx, plenty of geologists giving there first hand account.

By googleing it, or if you're feeling brave, read a book.

As I said i cant full remeber but pi would only work with perfect circles, which means the pyramid is a prefect equilateral triangle. Pi and phi are 2 different things.

I'll leave you now as some hot pussy is waiting for me, you should make the same thread again tomorrow.

Just bare in mind some stones are 50 tons, there's no way they could've dug it out the ground, never mind sawn it all side sides and to square, never mind ducking move it and lift it into position
>>
>>387690508
Actually that's wrong, do proper research instead of just reading what's given to you

You probably thing 9/11 was a bunch of terrorists too
>>
File: Antikythera Mechanism.jpg (200KB, 1008x899px) Image search: [Google]
Antikythera Mechanism.jpg
200KB, 1008x899px
>>387685193
>First century BCE mechanical analog computer
>Did not reappear until the 19th century CE
>First century CE steam engine
>Did not reappear until the late 18th century CE
>Archimedes quite possibly attached a freakin' laser beam on a shark
What did OP mean by this?

>>387689928
The great library doesn't quite count, while the library did burn, the minds who created and understood it's works did not and they later continued their work at a storage area within the Serapium, which served as the second "great" library until the christians burned the Serapium AND the minds 4 centuries later, thus playing the trope straight
>>
>>387685469
if we're devolved to fighting with sticks and stones, how would ww4 even be possible?
>>
>>387690538
>people cant move 50 tonne objects when we have shitloads of manpower and resources.
nigga you gay
>>
File: expert2.jpg (151KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
expert2.jpg
151KB, 427x427px
>>387685193
>>387685229
>>387685323

Alright, I'm gonna take a swing at this just once, so listen up.

This meme existed in other works of fiction before video games. Well, "why"?

This goes back to the Roman Empire and how it was seen by the peoples of Europe for close to 1000 years after its fall. First off lets address the badass advanced ruins. The Roman ruins, made of CONCRETE. Yes Concrete. Which mankind totally forgot how to make until 1880 or so, fuck if I remember. Either way, thats why European castles were made out of poop and stone, stacked up high as shit, and took like 150 years to build. They didn't know how to make roman concrete. They'd look at it in awe and envy, without any idea what the fuck to do next. For a thousand years people saw this shit and had no idea how to replicate it. They found weapons for several centuries forged better than what they could make. They found the remains of processes and inventions that shat on all sorts of stuff until Davinci came around. The fucking roman aqueduct KEPT ON MOVING WATER. Until even modern times. With all of them standing there scratching their heads wondering "how the fuck" it worked.

Romans were the original, advanced civilization that fell and everyone else gawked at. We didn't truly surpass the Romans until the 1800's, and we didn't completely surpass all of their inventions until the 1900's. These motherfuckers had water drills, chemical warfare, and fucking FLAMETHROWERS all vietnam style.

The next time you see this meme, remember that it was fucking real. It was real in our own world, about a civ that once existed. We're just beyond being surprised by it or remembering it. We werent born in a time where we hang out eating sparrows from the hand and staring at the fast food market of rome with its built in plumbing, or shitting down our legs in a pig sty while gazing over at the remains of the great roman baths they'd go to every single fucking day.
>>
File: 1456737381164.jpg (500KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1456737381164.jpg
500KB, 1080x1080px
>>387690534
It is generally fascinating when you discover that most of the really popular contemporary tropes or stories that instantly recognize tend to be INSANELY old.
Like the tale of ancient advanced civilization wiped out (story of Babylon, Atlantis, but also I think parts of Vedanta), the stories of kings being betrayed by brother-like figure and their son having to take revenge (myth of Osiris, but also Hamlet), stories of people facing a dragon and retrieve a treasure (Hobbit, Song of Nibelung, but also Song of the Pearl and arguably even the tale of Suzano-o and Yamata no Orochi), or even tales about craftsmen making a deal with the devil to become supernaturally talented at their job (Faust, for an example) are apparently just INCREDIBLY OLD.
Like - potentially tens of thousands of years old.

>>387690842
See >>387690424 and also what is mentioned above.
It goes way, WAAAAAY beyond Ancient Rome. It's a tales old as time.

Also see >>387686709 for just a few examples of the fact that Medieval European technology and history was not nearly as backwards as you present it to be.
>>
File: Jehuty.jpg (140KB, 960x1706px) Image search: [Google]
Jehuty.jpg
140KB, 960x1706px
>>387685193
>imply the most advance technology will not lead you to the ancient myth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_J-juAwXc
>>
>>387690842
[citation needed]: the post.
>>
You know, these aliums could've teach ancient Egyptians legit useful stuff, like not letting niggers to rule over your country.

Instead they build worthless buildings and disappeared.
>>
>>387691197
Sorry but I'm not going to agree with "great floods" /x/ tier shit, only the facts. Don't even lump me with that poster.
>>
>>387691436
You what mate? All of that is extremely common knowledge stuff.

What part exactly are you asking for the citation on? I'm being serious. Its like asking for a citation that fucking WW2 happened or not. I can't even tell which part of it all you are in disbelief of.
>>
>>387685193
You are wrong though.
>nuclear war
>everyone fights with sticks
>>
>>387691612
what era in history are you referring to
>>
>>387691436
>>
>>387690842
wasn't it very very recently (i.e. last few months) that we (re)discovered how to make the material used to make roman roads, which are more durable and resistant than our own modern ones?
>>
>>387690538
>Graham is a researcher
Not by actual academic standards, he is not. He is neither equipped by the know-how of modern scientific inquiry, nor with the actual desire to produce such. More importantly though, his views are not verified and accepted as valid by his "peers" (aka people who actually study the fields in which he makes these claims).

It's very basic. Modern academic inquiry has a set of standards that are used to differenciate between a fraudulent or reliable claim. These are both methodological and unique for each field, and universal, through peer review: that is - if you can find enough people who have credibility in the field and they can verify what you said, your claim is deemed reliable.

Graham has not ever gained credibility himself, neither has his "theories" ever been verified by even remotely significant number of other people who have education on the subject matter.

He makes money. Which is why he can afford to hire a "team" of people that help him do his job: his job being selling fraudulent claims to gullible morons.

>And yes there is, go watch mysteries of the sphinx, plenty of geologists giving there first hand account.
And thousands more giving a conflicting account.

>As I said i cant full remeber but pi would only work with perfect circles, which means the pyramid is a prefect equilateral triangle.
Which isn't exactly difficult to achieve if you have basic capacity of measuring angles.

>Just bare in mind some stones are 50 tons, there's no way they could've dug it out the ground
People have dug bigger pieces of stone using more primitive technology than Egypt had before and after. This is hardly a convincing evidence of extra-terrestrial origin.
>>
>>387691529
>Sorry but I'm not going to agree with "great floods" /x/ tier shit, only the facts.
What the fuck are you even talking about? What the fuck is /x/ about any of what I said?
>>
>>387691687
Egyptians could build enormous structures with complex catacombs thousands years ago.
>>
>>387691775
We did very recently discover a missing compound that was used in some of Roman concrete-like substances, yes.
It turned out it was just because they used a material that is very rare and very specific.
>>
>>387691881
Yeah, and it would take them dozens of years to finish them. We can build the same shit in months and add running water and electricity to it.
>>
>>387691775
I dunno about that one. I know we didn't know the "exact" way they made their concrete until something like ten years ago. Not that ours was worse or anything, we just didn't have their formula and method so we couldn't make the exact same concrete they had. Now we do.
>>
>>387690842
Rome wasn't the first nor the last civilization to end up like that.

Dominant civilizations were good at inventing shit, but not at keeping the information about it and passing it down once the inevitable collapse came about.
Written records were mostly destroyed, people who knew how to read them dwindles and disappeared.
Back to square one.

Fuck, it literal happens to this day.
There is no space program on Earth capable of lading a person on the Moon right now since the people who engineered that died and as it turns out, we forgot to force someone to write every single detail down for them.
Making the rocket and sending someone over there successfully in 2017 would be just as big a miracle as it was back in 1969
>>
>>387685193
>>387685193
>white people don't make babies
>get outbred by retard arabs
>arabs take over white countries
>can't maintain progress because their heads are fucked by islam and incest
>Europe goes back to the middle ages
>>
>>387692023
I agree, and never implied otherwise. I just believe Rome is the one from which the meme was birthed, as it was felt throughout Europe and the modern age the most clearly. Italy to this day still hoards books written by the romans and doesn't even let people crack open the vault to read that shit, they're so paranoid anyone could be a plant trying to steal ancient (admittedly, probably useless) knowledge.

You can see what you are talking about on even a small scale now. I'm a teacher and even if all my students know how to use phones, they barely know how a computer works. They're worse than people I knew in school in the early 2000's. Think about that. In just a few decades something we all use every day STILL has reached the status of being as difficult to work with as a 1950's restoration vehicle.
>>
>>387685193
>meme
So much has been lost and we aren't even close to recovery
>>
>>387692023
>There is no space program on Earth capable of lading a person on the Moon right now
literally retarded
it's simple orbital paths, and our fuel usage is a lot better than it was in 1969.
>>
>>387692310
And you were proven wrong.
>>
File: 5.jpg (69KB, 745x564px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
69KB, 745x564px
>>387692004
>Not that ours was worse or anything
Shit is flawed by design for the sake of long-term revenue, so companies are allowed to sell more of the product or be hired to perform maintenance/repairs to increase revenue. Go look up planned obsolescence if you don't believe me.
>>
File: hyper.png (1MB, 3630x1615px) Image search: [Google]
hyper.png
1MB, 3630x1615px
We'd be back at peak levels if it weren't for that damn flood
>>
>>387692497
You are a moron. Please don't talk about things you clearly don't understand.
>>
>>387692545
>chistians stomped so hard that one time they closed their eyes for a bit the entire world stopped making any progress
>>
>>387692623
>no counterargument
nice ad hominem, let me know when you finish middle school
>>
>>387692623
t. assblasted construction worker
>>
>>387690681
That's the point you dense twat. He's saying that humanity as we know it wouldn't survive another world war.
>>
>>387692447
All spaceflight has ever been could be simplified to "simple orbital paths".
Rockets are expensive, delicate, hard to design and produce.
That's why they landed Apollo 11 and not Apollo 1, went through 4 iterations of rockets and burned massive amounts of money and several astronauts in the process despite having shit figured out long ago.

I could get you(r corpse) to the Pluto if you so desired. The basic concept is not the hard part, it's the realization that contains all the nuances that separate a physics major from a valued NASA employee. And we've lost far too much of said nuanced knowledge to time and budget cuts.
>>
>Advanced civilisation couldn't manage the threat
>The newer, inferior one does so thanks to the chosen one
Videogames should stop trying to make nobodies feel like somebodies.
>>
>>387692690
You are an idiot for presenting entirely unrelated concept that everybody knows about. Fuck me every child knows what planned obsolescence is (it's not like this is a videogame board and we all have to deal with the shit hardware and software companies are pushing on us every fucking day, right?).

You are an idiot of suggesting that the problem with recreation of old Roman concrete has anything to do with this: with the fact that people were interested in how they achieved the properties (even when those properties are not necessarily beneficial to us on a larger scale). You also know fuck all about the actual problems with durability in construction materials either.

It's just you screeching a bullshit anti-corporate message because you wanted to let us know how super enlightened you are for realizing what is one of the many drawbacks of a consumer and supply based economy. Great - you figured out that in some industries, service-provider and service-customer interests might not align. Amazing. Now fuck off.
>>
>>387691775

The Romans used volcanic ash in their concrete. A rare silica within the ash had an unusual and very beneficial side effect in that it was soluble to seawater, but that sodium (salt) molecules immediately replaced the silica and crystalised reinforcing the concrete. So Roman concrete when in contact with seawater actually strengthens with age.

The Byzantine Roman Empire had a weapon they used in naval battles and in rudimentary flamethrowers called Greek Fire. It combusted on contact with water and only ammonia could put it out. After the empire fell the secret to making it was lost and still to this day we have no fucking idea how it was made, but there is far too much evidence to dismiss its existence. Venetian and Genoan merchant and military fleets carried barrels of urine in case in was used against them.
>>
>>387692486
Not sure where you translated that from anything, nor do I see anywhere that happened in the thread. Maybe you have me confused with one of the paranormal posters.
>>
File: 1503005483184.jpg (62KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1503005483184.jpg
62KB, 421x421px
>Ancient civilization with extreme technology
>Everyone got wiped out for an unknown reason that we won't find out until the third game
>The main quest is awakening one member of that civilization out of some preserving casket in order to either assist you or do the whole job itself
>>
>>387693484
Greek fire was probably just petroleum with maybe some resin mixed in (aka primitive napalm). The Romans had access to raw petroleum and wrote about its properties.
>>
>>387693609
Except for the list of stories using the exact same core premise that you have been directed too and to which you reacted with absurd accusations of "paranormal" that you never even bothered to explain?

What part of "stories of Atlantis, Hesiodos history, biblical story of Fall of Babylon and the Great Floods (I can also add the story of Ramayada's wars) hugely pre-date our fascination with fallen ruins of Rome" is so damn confusing to you?
I could also go on explaning how actually the late medieval fascination with Rome was not nearly happening the way you imagine it, but that would be another long waste of time.

Was it the list of real-world historical events including falls of major civilizations that probably inspired or influenced them and which are all common-knowledge that got you completely baffled?

Don't tell me you got the whole "hurr durr paranormal" angle on the single mention that there is PROBABLY some kind of historical event that inspired the Great Flood stories? Because that is not exactly a controversial theory either.
>>
File: C_9PVq6UAAQCsjC.jpg (85KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C_9PVq6UAAQCsjC.jpg
85KB, 900x1200px
>>387693680
>member of that civilization is a day 1 dlc
>>
>>387694052
My god its like I've met Dale Gribble in historical interest form.

From what I can tell, the reason you went batshit is being confronted with the mere presence of someone who actually knows what they are talking about. It makes me glad that I'm in the seat at work and you're in the seat nowhere but here. I'd say please stay away from education, but you're probably still in some.

For posture, I'll answer that those stories are irrelevant to what I stated: factual history. Which you have failed to see multiple times since its inception. If you want to sit around discussing biblical stories and Atlantis, feel free to show up to your local Bible Group or D&D table.

The fact that you were this badly triggered by me discussing the existence of rome, its inventions, and concrete is in a sense hilarious, but I'm more disappointed than entertained. I'll grace you with discussion no further, because your hairbrained rambling proves to me the zeal you follow it with simply cannot be reasoned with.

On the bright side, others are discussing history, though it will be sad when you turn on them next.
>>
>>387691197
>It is generally fascinating when you discover that most of the really popular contemporary tropes or stories that instantly recognize tend to be INSANELY old.
Yeah, it's extremely fascinating that certain stories tend to resonate with humanity and you see them or certain tropes being repeated across myths, legends, and now, fiction over millennia.
>>
>>387694538
>From what I can tell,
From what you can tell you throw around a lot of insults but not a SINGLE actual argument, kid. And YOU teach children? Fuck me that explains a lot.

>I'll answer that those stories are irrelevant to what I stated: factual history.
Dude, you do not know SHIT about the relationship between real world history and narrative motives. You yourself declare that the story is rooted in real-world impressions that people have encountered when they conceptualized their impressions rising from the confrontation of impressive ruins of the Roman culture.

I have actually provided examples of the same kinds of confrontations happening far deeper into the history. Also: we ARE TALKING ABOUT STORIES ultimately. You deny that the current narrative trope of fallen civilization could ever originate else than in confrontation with Rome. Except we have much OLDER stories with the same trope in some of the most popular and influential pieces of storytelling in western history, such as fucking BIBLE for fuck sake.

>Which you have failed to see multiple times since its inception.
Inception of WHAT? And what have I failed. So far you are the one who does not seem to acknowledge VERIFIED history of events such as the Santorini volcano erruptions and the (likely related) demise of the Minoan civilization for an example. The ruins of which were so fascinatingly complex to more modern Greeks that they inspired the story of the Labyrinth among others.

>. If you want to sit around discussing biblical stories and Atlantis, feel free to show up to your local Bible Group or D&D table.
Is this a joke? How fucking retarded are you? Do you deny that those stories could inspired more modern stories, like the ones that OP might be complaining about?

>The fact that you were this badly triggered by me discussing the existence of rome, its inventions, and concrete is in a sense hilarious
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>387693823

>probably
>>
>>387690842

Your post is filled with so many errors, holy shit it hurts my head to even read.

To begin with, some people knew how to make concrete, but it was never anything widespread. Technological innovations happen everywhere, but without the society and structure to support it, it won't spread far or wide. Rome had the most urbanized society and thus managed to come up with stuff like this, but the mere fact that the technology was subsequently "forgotten" points to that it was more of a fluke than anything else.

You go out of your way to point at Medieval castles as some sort of primitive thing. There are no grand castles from the roman period, do you know why? Because castle engineering was state of the fucking art military and societal innovation. These things were so cool and so fucking amazing that they cropped up literally everywhere in the low to middle medieval ages, and changed the ENTIRE structure on society based on them. Without castles there would have been no Feudal system. Suddenly you could spread your population out all over the countryside and defend(and suppress) them with castles in key locations instead of keep them bottled up in aids-ridden cities that were easily raided, and prone to plague.

The meme of roman supremacy is just that, a meme. There are some valid points, the political and warfare achivements of the empire is nothing to scoff at. The technological achivements is more a bi-product of getting enough people together in one place and you will shit out some cool innovations. The fact that these innovations didn't last is ample proof that the society was not advanced enough to hold them.
>>
>>387694538
Mate you are making yourself look like an idiot. There have been several posts in this thread about other 'lost' great civilisations (real and mythical), showing that a) stuff like that happened before the fall of Rome and b) people have been very interested by the idea for a very long time
>>
File: 1165.jpg?v=1485680401.jpg (867KB, 2592x3888px) Image search: [Google]
1165.jpg?v=1485680401.jpg
867KB, 2592x3888px
Blame Plato for shitposting in Greek forums about Atlantis, which was only really used as a "perfect society of the past", where proper morals were upheld, and society functioned perfectly.
>>
>>387695801
Blame Minoans for building their civilization on a fucking time bomb, blowing themselves up and thus giving the foundations for the Atlantis myth.

Fucking Minoans with their tits hanging out.
>>
>>387691964
We can not build the pyramids again.
>>
>>387696012
We are still building structures visible from the space with naked eyes. We could pretty "easily" build the Pyramids again: there is just nobody willing to spend that much money on a project like that except some crazy Sheiks from Emirates. Technically it's not THAT hard. It's just a lot of wasted effort on something nobody would justify as meaningful or useful use of resources.
>>
>>387696012
We build pyramids on a regular basis.
>>
>>387685323
Why open your mouth and speak about words of which the meaning is lost on you?
>>
>>387696158
You mongoloid, it's not that people don't know what meme means. It's just that find it (mis)use obnoxious.
>>
>>387692023
>>387692447

It's more accurate to say that there is not the societal push to maintain such practices, or perform them again. Practical experience does a lot, and while we got a lot of theoretical experience(they wrote down a lot, the art is not lost on us), but starting up a new lunar program now would be a challenge for sure. One we could overcome with enough money and smart people thrown at the problem, but again, we'd need someone to actually do it. And there is nobody that wants to currently.

We preserve knowledge far better than before, but the lunar program is a good example in miniature of how these things can go about. Imagine a similar situation, a bunch of cool-ass master masons come together in classical Rome, share their knowledge about concrete, and whazam, they make the Colosseum out of a primitive form of concrete. Wowzers!

Then comes the reign of a couple of useless emperors who doesn't give a shit about your findings. Your methods are expensive, and there are cheaper alternatives that are more appealing to a young emperor that wants to spend his money on keeping his armies and population happy. The knowledge is passed down a few more generations, but there is no more any practical experience, and eventually the practice is "forgotten".
>>
>ancient civilization had way more advanced tech than the current one
>they wore primitive robes and sandals
>>
>>387695801
>shitposting in Greek forums
How do you shitpost in a public speaking area?
>>
>>387696229
Except OP is complaining about a meme.
>>
>thread was comfy for a few minutes as anons talked history
>samefag autist argues everyone else out of thread

they were saying really interesting shit
fuck you
>>
>>387696130
>>387696145
We could not build the pyramids again.
The design process would take ages, we'd cut more corners than geometrically possible, and at some point during the project somebody is going to have a falling out with somebody else over it and the whole thing will be scrapped.
>>
I love it when this happens
What's the best way you've seen it getting implement?
I'm particularly fond of when the ancient civilization is actually our world and the game in the world has become medieval fantasy-place.
I'm not so fond when the ancient civilization is a super duper civilization that could travel to space and had tech that may as well be magic and met their end because they did dangerous experiments or something like that

The best part for me is when there's no explanation as to why the previous civilization ended, it just did, it's time was over, and that's that. No grandiose dramatic apocalypse or anything like that you discover through logs or diaries or the such.
>>
>>387696229
He is literally using the correct textbook definition of meme you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>387692113
>/pol/tard comes to /v/ thinking it's /pol/
>>
>>387696284

You sing rap music
>>
>>387696449
So what? You're saying we can't because there's no reason to? Yeah, you're right. That doesn't mean we won't be able to if some billionaire decided to make an exact copy of them for shits.
>>
File: 1401333241231.jpg (173KB, 555x503px) Image search: [Google]
1401333241231.jpg
173KB, 555x503px
>>387696284
>How do you shitpost in a public speaking area?
>>
>>387696658
Diogenes was a fucking badass.
>>
>>387696305
OP is complaining about pervasive narrative trope you moron. He uses the word "meme" because it's a word for virtually any "thing" that happens commonly, and that also identifies him as cool member of the /v/ board culture and savvy internet user.

>>387696531
There are actually two completely different textbook definitions of the concept of "meme", and OP isn't using correctly either of them.

>>387696476
Well, in general fiction I always thought this was best used by Miyazaki (the anime Miyazaki, not to videogame one) in Nausicaa of Valley of Wind and Shuna (which some argue take place in the same universe).
In Shuna in particular it's done in an extremely subtle, melancholic way.

In games... I can't think of any particular example that I really liked. Mostly it's used very cheaply (fucking Bioware and Halo being arguably the very worst examples I can think off, though Homeworld 2 did not do a good job either). But I migh be forgetting most good examples.
>>
>>387696748
He actually really was more of a cunt, then then was turned into a mythological "king of all fucking assholes".
>>
>>387696778
Meme != internet meme
A meme is simply an element of culture that is passed down non-genetically. He is using the word correctly.
>>
>>387697149
You know he was not using it in the proper meaning of the word but in the internet sense of the word.
>>
>>387697383
>writing meme
Is absolutely a correct way to refer to this idea.
>>
>>387690437
>(often by using the tech of the precursors even more paradoxically).

That's because there's always one Human or group of Humans that are just plain better at literally everything than anybody else in the universe. Fighting, thinking, hacking, flying, shooting, whatever is needed to continue the story there is always a Human who is a crack at it.
>>
>>387697660
>Game made by humans
>Humans are the strongest in it
I wonder why
>>
>>387696861

My favourite story was of that stuck up snotty philosophy student who came up to Diogenes begging in his barrel.

"They say you are a philosopher who can teach me. All I see is a beggar. What can you possibly teach me?"

Diogenes grinned, "Charity."
>>
>>387690538

>muh "ancient people were as lazy and insolent as they are in modern times and therefore could have never built the pyramids or stonehenge or any other hundreds of ancient structures by themselves" meme

People back then didn't have TV, videogames, and internet to waste their days away on, they had to find other things to occupy themselves. And plus, they had slavery, which meant that there was always a whole class of people that you could order around to do any "impossible" task for free.
>>
>>387689275
Never forget
>>
>>387697763

We wuz inventors of everything? Fuck aliens and fuck gray ppl amirite
>>
>>387696658
>left: reddit
>right: 4chan
>>
>>387698016
Of everything on earth, the xenos have their own discoveries. Pray we discover them first and not them us.
>>
>>387685193
This trope ruined Professor Layton desu.
>>
>>>/his/
>>
File: 1422594327069.jpg (74KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
1422594327069.jpg
74KB, 677x782px
This is the most interesting thread I've seen on /v/ in literally months, and it's not even about video games... What does that mean?
>>
>>387698346
Fiction is not history.
>>
File: eruru tail grab.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
eruru tail grab.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>387685193
>It's a feudal fantasy world
>Actually it's the far future after we destroyed the shit out of ourselves
>Also most people have animal ears and tails
>Later in the plot there's suddenly mechas too
>>
>>387698470
do you mean that one smartphone isekai?
>>
>>387698046
>leddit taught emperoars
>>
>>387698402
Maybe check out /his/?
>>
>>387698134

lol what difference would that make? Especially in the next 4-8 years, Trump would probably say something retarded and get us all nuked.
>>
>>387685193
MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEEEEEEEEEEEMEMEMEMEEEEEEMEME
>>
>>387698627
with the exceptions like drumpf, it seems like that way
>>
File: zandatsu.jpg (84KB, 640x775px) Image search: [Google]
zandatsu.jpg
84KB, 640x775px
How about "full of shit"? Is that a meme?
>>
>>387699102
it can be
>>387699046
Don't forget about /r/The_Donald
They're still going at it
>>
File: le_meme-man_face.gif (910KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
le_meme-man_face.gif
910KB, 500x281px
>>387699204
Exquisite!
>>
>>387697149
>Meme != internet meme
Yes, that is why I talked about the word having two different definitions, bright stuff.
And I can fucking assure you that this guy was not talking about a meme in the (debunked) scientific sense either.

>>387697579
I really isn't. Re-read selfish gene again, please.

>>387697893
These stories are really fucking amusing.
But there is probably not a single one of them that is based on true.
Maybe except the one with him masturbating in public.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170820-112418.jpg (428KB, 1253x1444px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170820-112418.jpg
428KB, 1253x1444px
>>387699389
>>
>>387698635
Just did
>/his/ porn
>Anti semetism
>Who was the biggest Chad in history?
>Post historical people who were CUTE
>Let's have a a good ol' meme thread
Just as I expected
>>
>>387699738
Yeah, I know that definition. You can't seem to be applying it properly. Give me an example of a self-propagation model for the idea of "story of an ancient progenitor race" trope in order to prove it's really a meme in Dawkin's sense, then give me a textual evidence that OP is actually talking about the self-replicating and self-progating interpretation of this narrative trope, and then we can actually talk.
Until then... you are just angry because I called out your incredibly immature, reddit-like obsession with identity-signaling tokens.
>>
>>387699389
Why isn't the concept technically a meme if a writer copied it from other writer because it's a common idea? And I'm curious when/how did it get debunked?
>>
>>387685469
I want to fight WW5 with memes
>>
File: spotted.jpg (113KB, 586x638px) Image search: [Google]
spotted.jpg
113KB, 586x638px
>>387685323
>implying buzzwords aren't the go-to means of communication on 4chan and have been for years
>>
>>387700543
At the rate we're going that'll just be WW3
>>
>>387700721
much more efficient than having to go through 2 wars first
>>
>>387700143
>Why isn't the concept technically a meme if a writer copied it from other writer
Not really. To be completely honest the concept was poorly defined from the start. I mean it's a good idea in general - to draw fundamental relationships between non-genetic and genetic information is probably one of the right ways to go in when you want to establish better understanding of a culture than we had in the last fucking awful century (awful when it comes to social sciences, at least), but Dawkins himself never managed to actually explain how the self-propagation and viability happens. The mere act of being copied isn't enough to justify something as a meme, just as biochemical replication is not enough to justify calling any bio-molecule a "gene".

>And I'm curious when/how did it get debunked?
OK, I may have not been exactly honest about the use of the word. It has not bee as much as debunked, as it has been abandoned, because nobody actually managed to use it for anything, or build a proper methodology for it.
The international Journal of Memetics, basically the only big attempt to push the idea, has been officially shut down in 2005, but in reality I think the last big paper they published was back in 1997, with some non-peer-reviewed death rattle in 2002.
Memes were never proven to exist. Actually they were never even defined sufficiently clearly to be provable, making them effectively a non-falsifiable concept, which makes them unscientific. And that was really the downfall of this particular concept.

That said - thank god for it. It was a pretty important idea that sparked a lot of discussion that eventually sparked a lot of conceptual changes of views on human society. So it was a very useful idea to propose.
It's just not scientifically relevant anymore.
>>
>>387685193
>when will this writing meme end
I mean that was literally the situation when Rome got wiped out, as Rome was far more advanced than the civilizations that were directly after it
>>
>>387700825
>It has not bee as much as debunked, as it has been abandoned, because nobody actually managed to use it for anything, or build a proper methodology for it.
Makes sense to me, it's a sensible concept but it's pretty vague
>>
File: best stock photo.jpg (12KB, 380x254px) Image search: [Google]
best stock photo.jpg
12KB, 380x254px
>>387693484
>The Romans used volcanic ash in their concrete. A rare silica within the ash had an unusual and very beneficial side effect in that it was soluble to seawater, but that sodium (salt) molecules immediately replaced the silica and crystalised reinforcing the concrete. So Roman concrete when in contact with seawater actually strengthens with age.
This is the wildest shit I've ever read
Fucking Romans man
>>
>>387701624
>Makes sense to me, it's a sensible concept but it's pretty vague
Yeah. Most people don't lament the demise of memetics as a scientific discipline, not even most of it's supporters, because it's not like the sentiments and concepts don't live in a different fields now, namely evolutionary and social psychology and cognitive sciences.
We now mostly talk about adaptable behavioral strategies or cognitive models, or something like that. The main importance of memetic theory was that it once again brought the idea of viewing culture and biology as two tightly related notions, which in the late 80's when Dawkins came up with it was generally being completely abandoned or rejected through out mainstream social sciences.

It helped to at least slow down and problematize notions of complete cultural relativism and the issue of nature/nurture barrier.

It's kinda like Chomsky's Universal Grammar (though that one seems to still desperately cling to life, for some reason): a stupid theory if you think about it, but DESPERATELY NEEDED in an era where radical behavioralists had rule over language aquisition hypothesis. And it sparked modern theories of language aquisition that have a lot of support today.
>>
>>387686793
wtf I love Ancient Egyptians now
>>
File: 1499098081442.jpg (16KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1499098081442.jpg
16KB, 189x189px
>>387689615
well shieet
>>
>>387693484
Holy shit, now I know what time in the past I would pick to be born now besides the time of America discovery.

Tell me anon, when was the golden age of Roma and how long did it last.
>>
>>387686793
t. kang
>>
File: 1475928795741.jpg (73KB, 614x464px) Image search: [Google]
1475928795741.jpg
73KB, 614x464px
>>387692545
>African Proto-kangdoms
Every time
>>
>>387702938
>Tell me anon, when was the golden age of Roma and how long did it last.

107 BC - 14 AD. best century. from Marian reforms to death of Augustus
>>
>>387685193
The period between the fall of the roman empire and the renaissance was a backwards period
>>
>>387703535
Why couldn't have Skyrimjob's Imperial armor be like that.
And that shield holy shit I want.
>>
>>387685779
With modern tech it would take decades.
You know why? Because the ancients could actually get things done without have an economic and bureaucratic seizure.
>>
>>387704273
That's not related at all to our tech or capabilities. That's just you throwing shit at the wall and pretending it's an argument.
>>
>>387703676
This is like a fourth time when people are talking about it when it's barely related... there is something very suspicious about how people view this era and this general problem.
>>
File: Cicero on Antonius.png (159KB, 680x798px) Image search: [Google]
Cicero on Antonius.png
159KB, 680x798px
>>387703535
>>387698635
kek. looks like a fun board
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.