[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could a standard $200-$250 laptop run games like WoW and Microsoft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1454.png (108KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1454.png
108KB, 600x328px
Could a standard $200-$250 laptop run games like WoW and Microsoft exclusives (such as GOW) well? I'm getting a laptop for school and would like to finally get jnvolved with PC gaming.
>>
>>387679319
No chance at all for gears of war, wow would probably run but it would be a shitty experience.
>>
Yeah not happily. Craptops are called that for a reason, anon. They break all the time, they overheat with no effort, and there's not a single reason to own one over a desktop unless you're looking to supplement that desktop.
>>
File: 1482808584091.gif (323KB, 192x256px) Image search: [Google]
1482808584091.gif
323KB, 192x256px
>PC gaming
>on a laptop
Even gaymin laptops are a fucking joke here, bud. You probably could play some indie/really old titles but anything AAA pass 2010 is a no
>>
Don't buy a laptop. Don't buy a laptop. Don't buy a laptop. Even for school, worthless excuse to throw money away.
>>
>>387679319
Buy a shit laptop for school and then buy a desktop. If you buy a gaming laptop for your college or university, then you are one stupid faggot.
>>
I have a current year gaming laptop and I am able to play all the current games with no issues. Don't listen to these retarded memers.
>>
>>387679836
Not gonna use it for gaming often other than for school. I just figure I have an Xbox solely for gears, might as well just play that on laptop.
>>
File: 1498486177164.png (133KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1498486177164.png
133KB, 250x250px
>>387679319
WoW runs on every microwave out there, although your laptop will heat like hell.
>>
>>387679915
How much?
>>
>>387679915
Just remember a fan to keep it cool, that's all. If it's getting hot, take a 15-20 minute break to let it cool down.
>>
>>387679319
you dont seriously expect to be able to run gears of war on a $250 laptop?

no. all of the no.
>>
>>387679319
yes, but it's all in the SPECS.
A typical netbook is usually just trash.

I'd get a refurbished, business-tier Thinkpad with i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, and maybe one of those modeler-type Nvidia GPUs. They go for less than 400 bucks on Ebay and such, and can easily play majority of pre-2010 games on decent settings.

However, if you want to proper gaming computer, BUILD a computer. You can make a PS4-killer with 300 bucks.
>>
>>387680469
>you dont seriously expect to be able to run gears of war on a $250 laptop?
it's a 10 years old game. It runs on literal toasters.
>>
A $250 Celeron processor laptop is going to struggle to play Diablo 2, let alone fucking Gears of War. If you drop $700 on a laptop with an i5 and integrated graphics you might get away with WoW on the lowest possible graphics settings.
>>
>>387680130
>WoW runs on every microwave out there
if you mean by run that you log in and play with 5fps, yes
>>
>>387681660
This isn't true
>>
>>387679915
Only problem is, a gaming laptop costs more than a gaming PC + a normal laptop, is underpowered compared to the PC, and is a chunky fragile piece of shit with no battery life compared to the laptop.

At $250 OP will be using intel integrated mobile graphics, too.
>>
>>387679319
My buddy tweaked his settings to run wow on a toaster laptop, hope somebody can help ya out, link what one you thinking of getting and maybe that will help.
>>
File: 1457066026766.jpg (104KB, 1075x954px) Image search: [Google]
1457066026766.jpg
104KB, 1075x954px
>tfw nice gaming computer at home and comfy macbook pro for all school related work
>>
>>387679319
Most $200 dollar laptops are barely suitable for web browsing let alone games. If you want to play video games on a laptop then you need to spend a lot of money.
At that price only used thinkpads are usable.
>>
>>387679319
Whatever you do, don't splurge and buy some $1000 dollar gaming laptop and bring it to your campus.
They stick out and look autistic and they have very piss poor battery life.
>>
File: 2017-08-20-122727_1280x800_scrot.png (222KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-20-122727_1280x800_scrot.png
222KB, 1280x800px
>>387681685
I'm sporting pic related and it runs at ~35 on low. Even through WINE.
>>
>>387683172
Gigabyte used to make gaming laptops that had good specs, but relatively plain designs (IE: you could take it to an office, and it would look like a business laptop to anyone who didn't know better) . Unfortunately, they now have ROG-wannabe orange accents and big air vents and shit.
>>
>buying gaming laptops when you can buy a comfy Ultrabook that doesn't disjoint your shoulder when lugging it around campus and has 5-7 hours of battery life
>>
>>387684294
>and also has shit hardware for gaming/abysmal battery life/ventilation once you actually do shit with it.
>>
>>387684424
>gaming on a laptop
>ever
That's what the $1500 desktop PC is for, retard.
>>
>>387684462
So your point was entirely unrelated to the thread. Good job
>>
>>387679503
>>387679530

not really, i'd actually say that if you live a normal life and don't live at home with your parents/in one place all the time then there's no reason to own a desktop. I mean sure, i guess they're overpriced as hell, but when you consider portability it all makes sense.
Also, i've never ever seen a gaming laptop overheat, those components are made of durable shit, i had my GPU go up to 96c with fans on full blast and it didn't even throttle.

>>387679915
not everyone can just drag around a desktop everywhere, not everyone has the space for a monitor or can shell out bux for two computers when one can easily get the job done in both productivity and gaymeng

>>387681937
no it doesn't stop lying, a desktop PC more powerful than my gaming laptop from 2013 would cost an arm and a leg, and this one still runs most games fine. A good laptop (i7 at the very least, slim, portable) and a desktop that's powerful enough to run latest games at stable framerates is way way too expensive if you just want to play vidya at uni.

D00m ran fine at 60FPS on high settings at 1080p, i can emulate PS2/Dreamcast games at like x5 original resolution just fine at 60fps
as long as you get the laptop with the latest nvidia gpu beefed up to like 8gb vram or whatever then you'll get better performance than 99% of PCs people own, better than Xbox One X and PS4 Pro as well.
>>
>>387681660
i dropped £800 on a laptop 3 years ago and it can run Rise Of The Tomb Raider at 60 FPS on mid settings at 1080p
check mate desktop fags
>>
>>387682465
>macbook for anything
kys
>>387684462
>paying £1500 for a desktop computer AND $500 for an ultrabook when you can get a gaming laptop and a tablet for half of that
>>
>cheap consumer laptop
Don't do this
>>
>>387685270
this guy is full of shit
what ever the fuck laptop you choose, check the performance of the video card it has in it
>>
Don't listen to retarded kids here. Mid-tier laptop could still play any new AAA, just not on max settings.
>>
>>387685270
>normal life
Man can you get the fuck out of here with that stupid shit? Different people have different obligations in their lives. There is no such thing as a "normal life" in this sense. Some people don't even have time to use a laptop when they're outside, others may need a laptop for their job or school work. Either way it doesn't matter. If someone is able to save money by building a desktop, they should. If they travel and are at hotels often, sure, get a laptop.
>>
>>387686559
This, so much this.
Most games that aren't shit ports are optimized to run on as wide of a range of computers as possible. Turning down the settings can get you a nice smooth experience at 1080p, not below what you'd get out of a PS4, and you can't work on a PS4 or bring it to uni for studies.
I play Warframe at 120 FPS (and even higher) at 1080p after messing around with the settings, and that game got graphical updates way after my laptop released

>Either way it doesn't matter. If someone is able to save money by building a desktop, they should.
thanks, you just contradicted your own point
a reminder, you just said:
> Different people have different obligations in their lives.
> others may need a laptop for their job or school work.
there's absolutely no way you can say "you should" build a desktop because everyone's lives are so different.
And yes, by the normal life i mean the average life, which is usually not what /v/ermin on here have, you probably shouldn't be playing video games if you're past university age (18-21) therefore you shouldn't need a desktop after that, unless your work requires some sort of special snowflake desktop like a huge touchscreen all-in-one for art design or something, but that's rarely the case. A Laptop can fulfill all needs very reasonably, only manchildren and obsessed autists build desktops or even worse, buy desktops so they can post them on le battlestation /v/eddit thread for le karma. The age of the desktop is coming to a close my friend.
>>
File: 1499223788543.jpg (50KB, 402x364px) Image search: [Google]
1499223788543.jpg
50KB, 402x364px
why don't you just bring your desktop to school
>>
>>387685403
haha yes my dude PC master race! haha i love that subreddit :)
>>
>>387687068
>average life
Nothing stops you from playing video games if you want to. Work the 9-5, exercise, play a game. You don't become limited until you have children. I don't know why you're so opposed to someone building a computer. It's a hobby in itself and doesn't have to be a massive time sink in the way that you're acting.
>can't bring it to uni
Sure you can. Anyway I think I'll get a new midrange laptop for school and probably some production. What are you using?
>>
>>387679319
I have a normal laptop(not gaming) on a average price from like 1 year ago,and its able to run all the games,even AAA titles from 2015 and before without any problem(even nier automata and far cry primal-were also running),so dont listen to retarded ppl on here.You don't even need a gaming laptop just get a normal laptop and play all day,desktops are obsolete and a thing of the past,no sane person is actually on a desktop PC post 2010 year..
>>
>>387687720
>You don't become limited until you have children.
>having children
scary, sempai
>excercise, play a game
see but you could probably spend your time in a more productive way, i mean i know i'm sounding preachy here but if you look at it realistically, there are plenty more interesting things to do as an adult than to play vidya, and that goes for watching movies and such too, sure, the occasional binge won't hurt, entertainment isn't bad overall, but when it's a big part of your life you should consider that you're missing out, even on the very hobby that is building computers.
>Sure you can
well i guess you can bring your bike into the library too or your own fugging table assuming you have the muscle for it but it doesn't mean that there's any logical reason for it. Bringing in a desktop to a lecture or just university at all is like bringing in a typewriter, it's a hobby alright, but it's pointless.
> I don't know why you're so opposed to someone building a computer.
i'm not opposed to it per se, like how people are into cars, you can get a cool super fast sports car because it's your hobby and tinker with it but if you're sensible, you're gonna use your fuel-efficient normal car instead, same here, there's nothing inherently wrong with having a desktop if you acknowledge that it's practical use is close to zero and it's an addition to a functional laptop and not a replacement for it.
i have a shit thinkpad with linux on it and MSI GT70 2pe with an 880m 8GB Vram as my main machine, the thinkpad is mostly just a backup and whenever i need to use it outside (not in uni but like in a cafe or in the street) which is rare since usually a tablet can accomplish that, even an ipad most of the time, which my uni gave out for free.
>>
>>387687183
???
what does that have to do with anything? Macs are barely good enough for university if you're not an art designer, and even if you are, by sheer variety Windows will always out-do Mac in any comparison involving productivity and functionality of the device. And if you don't like Windows, and you have a very good reason not to, Linux is the only other option, since it offers compatibility with most windows programs and much more on it's own, it's also good because it offers you the option to customize and therefore personalize your experience which may be useful if you spend a lot of time at it.
>>
>>387688836
For clarification, I meant you can bring your PS4 to uni.
>more interesting things to do
Naturally. I never said video games should be your one and only hobby, I just don't understand why people are looked down upon for playing them in their adult life. The way I see it, you should do what you enjoy. I don't care how someone else spends their time. Personally, I'd like to explore and do all kinds of shit in my lifetime after I've established myself financially but never have I felt like I need to just "quit" playing video games to do so. Play an hour or two here or there if I want or binge if I have time and feel like it. There's so many possibilities.
>thinkpad
I've heard good things about them, I remember using them back in high school. I'll probably ask /g/ about it. I kind of want to replace my tablet as well. I preferred taking that to some classes because I hate carrying around a laptop.

Now I need to deal with my constipation. Thanks for the chat anon, take care.
>>
File: 584_2016071312928739.jpg (51KB, 584x876px) Image search: [Google]
584_2016071312928739.jpg
51KB, 584x876px
>>387679319
well with integrated gpu like HD4000/slower CPU/4gb RAM you will be very limited. wow was upgraded many times and to play it on max nowadays you need good rig. might try on lowest setting but it will look awful. still you can play thousands of game, almost all sony/nintendo library till 2000, pcsx2/dolphin might work in some games. when it comes to PC games even some modern ones might work but in most cases you will be limited to 3d titles relesed before 2008 and 2d indie games (tons of good stuff on PC there).
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.